Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
@Saintsman, it’s true on a plane there isn’t loud talking/shouting/singing either generally it’s pretty quiet (re droplets being thrown into the air). Especially on long-ish flights where people go to sleep/watch movies through their headphones.
My first flight to Calgary was the best flight I’d ever done, wish I’d done it sooner.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-01-22 20:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RoamingBull, exactly if you’ve not tested positive once through all this (like me too-not once!) then you will probably be fine.
I’m thinking even if they ditched the pre-departure test from the UK (seems unlikely) I’m going to be checking myself very carefully on the run up to the trip particularly as you can cancel with Ski Big 3 for free up to 72 hours before.
At least then I’m on top of anything as best as I can be.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@RoamingBull, exactly if you’ve not tested positive once through all this (like me too-not once!) then you will probably be fine.
I’m thinking even if they ditched the pre-departure test from the UK (seems unlikely) I’m going to be checking myself very carefully on the run up to the trip particularly as you can cancel with Ski Big 3 for free up to 72 hours before.

Well I'm flying back home from work 20th with pre departure PCR then LFT on arrival within two days. Then PCR which will mean us zipping to East Mids for a drive through at Randox as it's easy. If the wife doesn't cancel before hand Sad

But totally agree with your plans. BS3 are good to deal with. Love skiing in Canada as it's always a good excuse to go for longer. I'm not interested in Europe bar from Austria
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it helps distract you from tests, flights, etc...
So much snow today in Whistler, I had to wait for the plough to get my truck out of the parking lot (and it can get through some pretty deep snow)!! snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stuarth wrote:
So much snow today in Whistler, I had to wait for the plough to get my truck out of the parking lot (and it can get through some pretty deep snow)!! snowHead snowHead

Yeah, the webcams look kinda nuts
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yorkshirelad wrote:
As Canada (BC) has reduced the quarantine from 10 to 5 days for fully vaccinated locals......let's hope that soon applies to travellers...just in case Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quite possibly the reason for reducing it is because otherwise everything will grind to a halt. Not sure the economy is going to stop if a few people on holiday have to stay in quarantine longer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:

I'm not skiing today, just hanging out having giant cinnamon buns with my daughter at the Portobello, but the snow is very decent in the village; really deep and fairly light snow and the lines aren't totally crazy - guess the highway may be a little sporting, will find out later!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:

I'm not skiing today, just hanging out having giant cinnamon buns with my daughter at the Portobello, but the snow is very decent in the village; really deep and fairly light snow and the lines aren't totally crazy - guess the highway may be a little sporting, will find out later!

Those webcams also look kinda nuts
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morning all,

Just thought I would share the journey whilst we wait for our test results (which were taken at around 16:30 Vancouver time).

We had our express test 1-3 hour PCR test done Friday evening as we were staying at Heathrow, this was just easiest regarding timings for us.

Saturday when we checked in, they checked all the documents you’d expect including the arrivCan app.

We checked in two suitcases and a double ski bag (Sportube) the member of staff at the check-in desk confirmed the next time we would see our bags was at Calgary (I.e they would be automatically transferred for us from Vancouver) this was correct and it was massive weight off my mind when we saw everything the other end, this was REALLY quick too.

When we arrived at Vancouver we were pointed towards connections. I had to show the ArrivCan App, mine had reset as when I first filled it out it was the previous day Canada time, so make sure you screen shot your QR code. Luckily I could access my emails to grab the QR code.

After completing the immigration machines we were questioned by security about our trip, then we were randomly selected along with all the other UK residents.

I had pre-booked our arrival PCR tests and printed the booking, so we went straight through to testing, I would say it maybe saved us 30 mins. There was another family who had pre-booked the tests and had a screen shot on there phone and after a bit of back and forth they let them through using the screenshot.

So now we are just playing the waiting game for these results.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RoamingBull wrote:
Seems a bit excessive the outgoing test and then as soon as you land another test. I'd be gutted if I arrived and one of us is positive.

How about going the other way? On 30 Dec, three of us took our Canadian departure tests in Vancouver [see tale of woe below], all three negative, then flew BA to LHR, straight to our UK PCR test... at which two of us tested positive.

When returning from Canada, if you found the skiing was not exciting enough and you want your heart rate to go up even more, I can recommend using Canadian Travel Clinic for your departure test. If, however, you prefer companies that do what they say they will, then best find an alternative. I will skip all the details, other than to say that after CTC failed to deliver the results promised for 11am, then 3pm, and then 5pm, we found ourselves queuing at the airport a couple hours before the flight departure time for the on-site CVM Medical tests. CTC results eventually trickled in [2 out of the 3, anyway] which meant that one of us who tested positive in the UK had two negative tests in Canada, one a whole 16 hours before the UK positive.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@wittenham, eeek.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dalehernando, very helpful to hear your account, thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RoamingBull wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Well I'm flying back home from work 20th with pre departure PCR then LFT on arrival within two days. Then PCR which will mean us zipping to East Mids for a drive through at Randox as it's easy. If the wife doesn't cancel before hand Sad

But totally agree with your plans. BS3 are good to deal with. Love skiing in Canada as it's always a good excuse to go for longer. I'm not interested in Europe bar from Austria

Yeah me too, I like Austria but I’m not fussed on the rest really.
As much as I like Austria (spent 3 months there once and had loads of powder days-you need to be there a while to seize the opportunities) I find that for powder days without any touring involved Canada wins hands down. It seems to snow more or less every night in Banff in winter, there must be times when it doesn’t but I think overall it gives the best chance of powder days over say a 2-3 week trip. I just came back from Austria after a 10 day trip and it didn’t snow a flake.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had covid with a positive PCR on my NHS covid record back in September. Does anyone have any experience entering Canada relying on this exemption from their arrival testing?

CA says: “Who needs a pre-entry test
All travellers 5 years of age or older
You must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago).”
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grinning wrote:
I had covid with a positive PCR on my NHS covid record back in September. Does anyone have any experience entering Canada relying on this exemption from their arrival testing?

From another message board, I know for sure that if you're flying BA their check-in staff inspect accept the positive PCR test at check in, Providing you've checked the correct box in Arrivecan then you skip arrivals testing in Canada.

What I can't say for sure is if Air Canada staff also accept this. I worry a lot when you're relying on airline staff to validate documents like this - I've had far too many poor experiences where docs I 100% know for sure are correct have been rejected, causing me no end of trouble - yes I've got compensation in the end, but I usually have ended up flying out at least 1 day late, and in 1 case a whole week

We're flying on the 11th and I'm giving us options - we're taking 72 hour tests beforehand, but will try first up to present the NHS test. If that's rejected then we'll fall back o n the pre-departure tests and I';ll submit a new Arrivecan submission
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
I'm giving us options - we're taking 72 hour tests beforehand, but will try first up to present the NHS test. If that's rejected then we'll fall back o n the pre-departure tests and I';ll submit a new Arrivecan submission

I agree - too risky not to have a 72hr in your back pocket. I’m going to do the same, thanks
snow conditions
Well it looks pretty much like departure testing to UK will be scrapped this week,..that will make it easier coming home. Very Happy ..but leaving us with two still yet to use test kits we bought last year when they scrapped it last time when we were in France..and again in Spain.. !!! Just Spiffin Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Quick update. I received my test results last night at 19:45. My wife is still waiting for hers. It’s 4am currently.
latest report
Grinning wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
I'm giving us options - we're taking 72 hour tests beforehand, but will try first up to present the NHS test. If that's rejected then we'll fall back o n the pre-departure tests and I';ll submit a new Arrivecan submission

I agree - too risky not to have a 72hr in your back pocket. I’m going to do the same, thanks

NP - when are you flying? I;ll be posting details of my success/failure
ski holidays
Linked to travel in Canada but not testing - which will be better for driving from Calgary to Lethbridge in a few weeks? Dodge Durango or the GMC Yukon (or stick with what we know - the Bimmer X3)?

Thanks snow/petrol heads!
ski holidays
Let's chuck the Ford Expedition Max into the mix too!
snow report
@Snowsartre, how many of you? How much baggage?
I’d say Yukon/ Expedition if more than 3 and skis. X3 isn’t that big.
latest report
Happy news is 80cm of snow in the last 24 hours at Whistler.

8 days and counting..........
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
Happy news is 80cm of snow in the last 24 hours at Whistler.

8 days and counting..........

12 days for us conditions look great
snow conditions
@dalehernando, So i'm assuming that took just over 24 hours for your results to come through?
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
Happy news is 80cm of snow in the last 24 hours at Whistler. ..

ski holidays
eat>sleep>ride>r wrote:
@dalehernando, So i'm assuming that took just over 24 hours for your results to come through?

Yes, so all in Vancouver times;

Tests were done at: 16:50
My restyle came at: 18:45
Still waiting on my wife’s results (currently 7am)
ski holidays
dalehernando wrote:
eat>sleep>ride>r wrote:

Yes, so all in Vancouver times;

Tests were done at: 16:50
My restyle came at: 18:45
Still waiting on my wife’s results (currently 7am)
Madeye-Smiley You will be itching to get going now.

Just booked Banff for 31 January. Original plan was with Crystal but looks like they have pulled Banff as Direct flights from LHR to YYC are now only on Mondays and Thursdays and back on Wednesdays and Sundays!!

Booked with SkiBig3 now for 16 nights hoping not miss more than 1 day in hotel room isolating. Got 13 day lift passes so can miss a day and a day out to Kicking Horse.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’ve just seen the bus for Sunshine pull up from our window, desperate to get out, but we knew what we signed up for…still agony though!

We’ve got a 12 day pass for SkiBig3.

Sounds like you’ve got an awesome trip booked and with any luck Canada might stop this arrival PCR. We had our PCR at Heathrow 25 before landing in Vancouver!
ski holidays
@Rishie, Just the two of us - being UK based, I have never driven a big truck and wondered if they were more fun/ better in the snow than an X3 - I will never hire a Grand Cherokee again as despite winter tyres - and snow mode selected - bambi on ice would have given a better impression of controlled forward momentum!

@philwig, 80cm Shocked webcams looking good - week and a bit to go for me.... assuming I can avoid omicron...

@dalehernando, I hope the missus is duly impressed (no spouses on a powder day Toofy Grin ).
snow conditions
Do you need to show QR codes to enter restaurants in whistler and vancouver??
snow report
@yorkshirelad,
You'll need your government issued vaccine proof and ID - the app only scans bc qr codes, and don't think people from the US even have qr codes so I assume they just visually check non BC vaccine proof?
latest report
@Snowsartre,

No, they are not more fun in the snow, they are worse. My F150 is much harder to drive in the snow/ice than our Subaru. That said, yesterday my truck could for the most part get through it, where most cars and SUVs could not - ground clearance, low range, locking diff, etc... there was so much snow yesterday though, even my truck couldn't get through it (well it probably could if I really needed to, but decided discretion was the way forward!)! snowHead
Even with a ton of new snow, the need to get through deep snow isn't that common as the roads are ploughed

If you can fit you and your stuff in it, and get one with a roof box (make sure your parking has clearance!), I'd go for the X3.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 3-01-22 18:49; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
@yorkshirelad,
You'll need your government issued vaccine proof and ID - the app only scans bc qr codes, and don't think people from the US even have qr codes so I assume they just visually check non BC vaccine proof?

they do, we used a combination of the NHS app, paper printouts of the NHS app, the vaccine page of the Patient Access app, a screenshot of the photo on the Arrivecan app [for ID], a photo of a drivers' license, and a real driver's license.
snow report
@wittenham,
Hopefully that wasn't all just for one person? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:

@dalehernando, I hope the missus is duly impressed (no spouses on a powder day Toofy Grin ).

Haha! I need her with me, she’s going to be my guide as she’s been so many times and it’s my first!

Still waiting for these results… Confused
latest report
@dalehernando, How many hours since her test? Guess that is first day just about missed now? Really hope you both can get out to enjoy the snow tomorrow Smile
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
@dalehernando, How many hours since her test? Guess that is first day just about missed now? Really hope you both can get out to enjoy the snow tomorrow Smile

They’ve just come through! So 17 hours after mine!

Last bus leaves in just under an hour so we are going to get a few hours!
latest report
@dalehernando, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
42 hours for a test result..wow, glad we're booked for three nights in vancouver anyway... playing cards and a box of wine and a bag of nuts it is then Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy