Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
narbs wrote:
@dalehernando, thanks, that’s reassuring - our tickets are like that rather than having made two separate bookings.

Mrs narbs found a page on the Canadian govt website explaining it all which I’ll post once she tells me the link Very Happy

"I'll believe it when I'm there" seems to be my phrase of the moment!

Here is a link I was looking at yesterday which seems to confirm it:
https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/vancouver-Int-airport/int-ca.html#/

However, it's this page that keeps giving me doubts:
https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/book/why-book-with-us.html#/

I'm probably just missing something silly to be honest!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had an email from Air Canada moving the flight time for the return leg - now leaving 90 minutes earlier so could have been worse....hopefully they will now stick!

Have a Ford Expedition booked - first time - hopefully it's decent in the snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My return flight changes again, now have a 1 hour 10 minute wait at Calgary and due back into Heathrow at 8:45 in the morning rather than 10am. My flight out remains unchanged, for now!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dalehernando wrote:
narbs wrote:
@dalehernando, thanks, that’s reassuring - our tickets are like that rather than having made two separate bookings.

Mrs narbs found a page on the Canadian govt website explaining it all which I’ll post once she tells me the link Very Happy

"I'll believe it when I'm there" seems to be my phrase of the moment!

Here is a link I was looking at yesterday which seems to confirm it:
https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/vancouver-Int-airport/int-ca.html#/

However, it's this page that keeps giving me doubts:
https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/book/why-book-with-us.html#/

I'm probably just missing something silly to be honest!

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/toronto-pearson-international-airport/int-ca.html#/

That's the same for us at Toronto - it states fairly clearly that we don't need to reclaim bags, so fingers crossed!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowHead @Scooter in Seattle,
My wife plays bowls (that's lawn bowls ) and when she goes down there in the Blue car like yours with red seats wink
they call it "The Tank".
I don't know what they would call a Suburban.... "Death Star" perhaps.

I think we are going to have a comfy ride.
Gas prices here are much more expensive this side of the ocean though.
I just read up on it ... We use Litres like the Canadians and the tank capacity is 106 litres ( I think we even spell it that way)

Here Petrol is £1.46 per litre so about £150 to fill up so, so quite a bargain then?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Please can you let me know what happens here. I am flying on the 19th to Calgary same deal no direct flight now going Via Vancouver. Been told bags will go direct to Calgary but also been told to collect in Vancouver!

Thanks

Bill

Saintsman wrote:
narbs wrote:
@Saintsman, we won't need to do reclaim will we?

EDIT - looks like we won't.

I've heard conflicting stories recently about this. Historically, you definitely would need to reclaim as this is your point of entry to Canada, and therefore where you clear customs. Then you would recheck; long time since I flew through Toronto but I seem to recall a bag drop off immediately outside of customers for domestic transfers. Your bags would LOOK like they were fully checked through and have your ultimate destination on them, but you would need to walk them through customs.

However, I've heard recently that some through checked bags and now being transferred directly to domestic flight. I have absolutely no idea how they do a genuine customs check on them in this instance
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Re the pcr test at the airport, can it only be booked via the ArrivCan ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yorkshirelad wrote:
Its worse... !!! Not our uk transfer ..wife miss read it...its the return flight from vancouver to heathrow on 26th that's cancelled .. not happy

we were on that flight but it was changed via Calgary with 50 min stopover
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yorkshirelad wrote:
Re the pcr test at the airport, can it only be booked via the ArrivCan ?

Nothing to book. You don't even HAVE to pre-register. But the best way to pre-reg is through Arrivecan as it makes sure you get the correct pre-reg service for the correct provider

PS - if you do pre-register, PRINT hard copies of the pre-reg. Otherwise they will send you to the regular queue so that they can print out your registration........
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn,
$1.57/l a few days ago - strangely more expensive in Squamish than North Van (we pay an additional transit tax there, but dont think Squamish does).
Pipe from Alberta fixed, so we can now buy more than 30l at a go again, which is good for your beast (funnily enough when one blocked the junction at Creekside today, MrsH said that must be a rental wink ) and good for me because my F150 can get 135l in! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers @stuarth,
That's a relief, 30L would not get us very far.
I remember there is a sign on the highway as your leaving Golden... I think it says "Next Gas 186 km"
2 hours to Revelstoke

It's well past my bedtime now, so I'm going to hunker down and hope I test negative for Covid tomorrow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn, Yep, something like that, always makes us chuckle wehn we see that sign. Makes you realise how remote Canada can be.
Always fill @ Lake Louise on the way out as the tax in Alberta is less, making fuel cheaper Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RichardB wrote:
@Timmaah, where are you going in Canada?

The plan is to head to Vancouver and spend some time between there and Whistler. I don't have a good track record of travel plans working out during covid though Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can download your pass to either Apple wallet ( or whatever Apple call it) or Google now. Just go into the NHS app and download it.

I presume that they just want something that looks authentic and your passport, seeing as they won't have the ability to actually scan a UK issued vaccine QR code

EDIT - the question I'm answering doesn't appear to be here anymore.......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RichardB wrote:
My return flight changes again, now have a 1 hour 10 minute wait at Calgary and due back into Heathrow at 8:45 in the morning rather than 10am. My flight out remains unchanged, for now!

yep just had the same email for our return on 26 th jan.
snow report
Billy steele wrote:
RichardB wrote:
@Billy steele, I must be on the same flight as you, I’m flying to Vancouver that day for Whistler with Air Canada.

Same flight but on route to Banff

Happy New Year!

Any update?

With regards to check-in at Heathrow and at Canada end?

Thanks
ski holidays
Hi Collective

I think I know the answer, but just wanted to double check, with the quarantining at destination until pcr results come through. I'm flying in to Vancouver, but my connecting flight (different airline) is the next day. Can I get on that flight, even if my pcr test hasn't come through, and then quarantine at my destination until it does. Or do I have to wait at a hotel in Vancouver for my pcr test results?

Thank you!
snow report
My understanding is that you're going to need to stay in Vancouver till your test result comes through. Flying the next day doesn't usually fall under the description of "connecting"
snow report
That’s what I thought. Annoyingly, the connection is a bit less than 24 hours later so it’s cutting it fine with the results. Just weighing up whether to push it back a day.
snow conditions
I would definitely push it back a day. Getting the results in time would require things to be close to the best levels of performance
snow report
That’s true, I just keep on seeing the pictures of all that snow! A night out in Vancouver it is. Unless I’ve got Covid.
ski holidays
Give some thought as to what you're going to put on ArriveCAN as your "quarantine plan" in case you do test positive. A cancellable 14 day hotel booking would make it easier to prove if there were questions in your situation
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Cheers @stuarth,
That's a relief, 30L would not get us very far.
I remember there is a sign on the highway as your leaving Golden... I think it says "Next Gas 186 km"
2 hours to Revelstoke

It's well past my bedtime now, so I'm going to hunker down and hope I test negative for Covid tomorrow.

Did my first season in Canada at Whistler. Second season at golden/kicking horse. The day after I booked the flights and accommodation for golden emailed a friend in Vancouver to let them know my plans and that I'd hopefully get out to Vancouver for a weekend to meet them. My thinking was I'm already in BC how much further could it really be right?! They pointed out just how long the drive would be - Canada is a really big place.
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
Give some thought as to what you're going to put on ArriveCAN as your "quarantine plan" in case you do test positive. A cancellable 14 day hotel booking would make it easier to prove if there were questions in your situation

Thanks, that’s a good point. I’ll look into it.
latest report
Booked for Banff 25th Jan onwards for two weeks. Flights already cancelled and rebooked for the next day to Calgary and homeward bound change to a later time.
Can handle the above.
Flights paid accommodation to be paid 11th January but Big Ski 3 can cancel 72hours before and get refund. Hmmm similar timings for PCR in UK.
Is it going to be worth the heartache if we test positive at any point.
Don't fancy the testing positive on arrival into Calgary and spending whole holiday in the hotel Sad
ski holidays
As Canada (BC) has reduced the quarantine from 10 to 5 days for fully vaccinated locals......let's hope that soon applies to travellers...just in case Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
That would be great if they do.
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
You can download your pass to either Apple wallet ( or whatever Apple call it) or Google now. Just go into the NHS app and download it.
I presume that they just want something that looks authentic and your passport, seeing as they won't have the ability to actually scan a UK issued vaccine QR code
EDIT - the question I'm answering doesn't appear to be here anymore.......
For proof of vaccination... which you need to eat out, but not eg for ski resort bathrooms...
I just use a paper vaccination cert folded inside my passport. That has QR codes, but although they may photograph it they don't scan it. I believe the issue is that there are spot checks and the staff are fined if you don't have the cert, which is why they need you to have them even if eg you're a well known local or a repeat visitor. I'm sure you could use a phone also, but then non-residents need to get two things out (phone, passport), hence I find a bit of paper in the passport simpler and quick.

Restaurants etc have plexiglass screens, and only vaccinated people are allowed. I feel much safer "out and about" in Canada versus the UK, where you will see unmasked people eg on the Tube, and there's no control on unvaccinated people mixing in pubs and restaurants. I felt that once I got to the airport safely my chances of catching Covid (and therefore having to spend 10 days quarantining) were very much lower than staying in the UK. => I would not stress about the risks of catching the thing much.

You don't, in my experience, need a written "quarantine plan", you just have to tick a box which says you have one. My own "plan", should I have been asked for it, was to stay where I was for 10 days if my result came through positive. I doubt they will ask about this, but my guess is that you'd simply have to confirm that you have the means to stay put somewhere for 10 days: a confident response and a credit card should do the job. Just don't say you can't afford to obey the law
wink

On flights, I'd regard them all as fluid - internal flights seem to be getting switched around a fair bit at least. Buy flexible tickets if they're not all on the same booking. Scare stories about US cancellations are mostly internal US flights too - airlines seem to be protecting international flights preferentially, which makes sense I think.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got a work friend who lives in Calgary, he's living it up at the moment lucky devil. Saying it's flipin baltic.
His sister was due out a few days before Xmas but one of there kids tested positive.

That's my dilemma is it actually worth the hassle.
As it stands unless someone can correct me, PCR prior to depart UK? PCR on arrival in CA and isolate in Banff hotel for results, LFT before departing CA and PCR arrival in UK.

So a positive out of that lot and it's curtains
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:

Has anyone entering had a problem with not booking anything, ??

we have 3 nights in vancouver anyway and can get free cancellation for the quarantine period but no point if nobody checks or is interested,

is it just a tick box excersize on ArriveCan ?
snow report
We are due to fly to Vancouver on 25th jan however.....
We don't have a 14 night stay in any one place, if they reduce quarantine days down for travelers we may actually manage this year's trip.....
snow report
@RoamingBull, My understanding for testing is as you describe, currently.
snow conditions
Thanks Snowsartre wonder when sense will prevail in all this mess. I want to go, the wife is saying we need to just forget about it for this year.

We did last Evil or Very Mad
snow report
@RoamingBull, it sounds like the ‘coming home to the UK’ tests are on their way out

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/01/pre-departure-covid-tests-holidaymakers-could-axed/
ski holidays
@boarder2020, Yes Canada .. even just the BC bit is huge Smile
But its only a 10 hour drive .. or better still take the Greyhound bus (they call it the Loser Cruiser).

If you're there this season we'll look out for you .. we're coming at the end of the month.
latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Has anyone entering had a problem with not booking anything, ??

we have 3 nights in vancouver anyway and can get free cancellation for the quarantine period but no point if nobody checks or is interested,

is it just a tick box excersize on ArriveCan ?

On abother forum, yes, some people report being asked about their quarantine plans. It appears to be random spot checks
ski holidays
Has anyone heard of a positive case so far on arrival in Canada so they’ve had to do the quarantine? I haven’t?
If you think about it, with everyone doing the pre-departure PCR, then there’s the mask wearing in the airport and on the plane for 9 hours (unless eating or drinking) then there’s the arrival PCR possibly, the chances of catching it are pretty low IMO.
I had to wear a FFP2 mask on my flights to Munich and back lately plus in Austria so I’m going to stick with them, I think they are better and more comfortable actually. If you wear one of them on the plane and at the airport you’re less likely to catch it compared to other types of mask. Also I didn’t leave it off too long like some do when they take ages to drink their coffee (as an excuse to leave it off) I put it on again asap.
I’m not sure if Air Canada insist on a particular type of mask or not but you definitely had to have FFP2 for Lufthansa and they are better than the blue surgical type ones.
ski holidays
Seems a bit excessive the outgoing test and then as soon as you land another test. I'd be gutted if I arrived and one of us is positive.
snow conditions
I travel quite a bit with my job and still have been even through the darkest days. Always worn a mask on the plane and through the airports and had what feels like 100's of PCR's this last 18months or so.

Got told only once that I had to isolate after returning as someone on the plane pinged up. Jeez so the whole plane had the same. Never had the pingdemic/app but obviously Govt/NHS were on at me in a flash through the airline company having my info.
snow conditions
When the tests were truly random there was something like a 0.2% hit rate on positive arrivals tests. There's a page somewhere which I can't find right now which actually called out the number of positive tests on inbound flights and the nearby seats that required track and trace efforts.

The issue is less with catching it between pre-departure and arrival and more to do with the infection coming to the fore during that period. For instance, if you are exposed in the 12 hours before your pre-departure test there's an extremely strong likelihood that you wouldn't test positive on either a PCR or LFT. 72+ hours later it's almost certain that you would.

WRT masks, AC don't mandate a type of mask/face covering, and a plane is actually a relatively safe place to be regardless, as the air is regularly refreshed (complete refresh every 3 minutes roughly). It;s far safer than a restaurant environment
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy