Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think I'll worry about booking anything for a while yet, my flight out is on 25th January.
Things could all change by then.
I hope only for the better though.

I don't think there will be anyone new to infect back in the UK by February, so it wont really matter about tests to get back in or Track & Trace.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pcr...eurofin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@yorkshirelad, sorry, LFT!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DrLawn wrote:
I don't think I'll worry about booking anything for a while yet, my flight out is on 25th January.
Things could all change by then.
I hope only for the better though.

I don't think there will be anyone new to infect back in the UK by February, so it wont really matter about tests to get back in or Track & Trace.

I'm flying out on the 11th for 6 weeks. I'm getting pre-departure LFTs delivered to take with me as it's less than £20 each compared with ridiculous local prices, and I figure there's a high chance that process will still be in place by the time I return. Not booking a day 2 PCR as I think the UK gov are already champing at the bit to drop that part of the testing protocol; I can always book them just before I return if needed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, I booked flights yesterday to Vancouver on 5th Feb and back on 15th with a view to snowboarding in Whistler for a week and a bit.

Think I'm going to cancel them today. Cost & effort of testing and risk of cancellation / quarantining just don't seem worth it.

Will have got the rush of "buying" something and the kick out of "returning" something for a refund though, so it's not all bad Toofy Grin

Booking the flights was an interesting exercise in seeing how I felt / reacted. The fact that I focused entirely on the negatives suggests it's not worth the potential headaches for the next 5 weeks (although being a devout pessimist, I really shouldn't be surprised)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flight to Heathrow just been cancelled now..what next ?. Now we have to drive down from't north..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yorkshirelad wrote:
Flight to Heathrow just been cancelled now..what next ?. Now we have to drive down from't north..

No alternative offered? Were you booked on a single ticket?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its worse... !!! Not our uk transfer ..wife miss read it...its the return flight from vancouver to heathrow on 26th that's cancelled .. not happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First thought - that's an awfully long way out to be cancelliong that flight
Second thought - they have to offer an alternative option (presumably a connection through Toronto). it might take a day or two for them to get that sorted.

Which airline are you flying with? AC or BA?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My return flight with Air Canada got rearranged so that I have a 50 minute wait in Calgary on the 2nd February.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes I think when I was booked with Crystal for Fernie (they cancelled it weeks ago) the alternative option they offered was Jasper with stop overs both ways. It sucked so I took the refund. Especially as Jasper is a long transfer as well.
My Air Canada flights in March seem to be untouched so far….
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just had a look on the AC website - definitely looks like they're not running YVR-LHR direct on the 26th. Assuming that's who you're flying with you WILL get re-booked, either through Calgary or Toronto depending on loadings, but it will take them 24-48 hours to make the rebooking. If you're worried/want to get it sorted sooner then contact custoimer services - my best contact with AC has been through Facebook Messenger funnily enough
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had booked six flights over a two week trip with Air Canada 12-26 January. Every single flight was cancelled or had a significant flight time change (always worse). I am having to fly outward leg with a brief stop over in Frankfurt as AC now only flying 3 days a week direct to UK from YYC. Their customer service has been atrocious during this time and, long story short, I now have only 3 legs with AC and have had to rebook internal flights with other airlines. All a massive PITA but if what I have comes off and I avoid Omicron, it will have been worth the aggravation. As others have commented here, AC have been asking customers to confirm they still intend to fly so may be a few more changes yet…@yorkshirelad, there is (currently) a direct flight from YYC to LHR on 26 January….
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, ah really well 12th Jan was when my Fernie trip was originally.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is anyone going to rent a car?
I got a pretty good deal from "Canadian Affair".
There are four of us going so I've reserved a Chevy Suburban, it looks "as Big as a Whale"

I don't know if its going to be petrol or diesel, my wallet will find out.
Perhaps we should have rented a chopper and saved on lift tickets.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I am having to fly out via Frankfurt on 12 Jan so start by heading in the wrong direction but it was a lot quicker than going via Toronto. Although I guess I could have got my arrival test done at Toronto which might have sped up the result time.
snow report
What a headache.
It’s still worth it for that glorious powder skiing though I think.
snow report
Our flights from LHR on 9/2 are now going via Toronto rather than to Calgary, five hours added to the journey. Now arriving at 19.00, so hopefully that won't impact testing speed.
ski holidays
narbs wrote:
Our flights from LHR on 9/2 are now going via Toronto rather than to Calgary, five hours added to the journey. Now arriving at 19.00, so hopefully that won't impact testing speed.

So, provided you have time at Toronto then they'll test you there. So your travel time from Toronto to Vancouver is time where they'll potentially be analysing your test(s) through the test.

The BAD possibility though is that there won't be time at Toronto for your test. In that case you will be given an at-home test to take with you and post in. That means you wouldn't take the test till you arrive at your hotel in Whistler, then put them in the post.
snow report
Saintsman wrote:
narbs wrote:

So, provided you have time at Toronto then they'll test you there. So your travel time from Toronto to Vancouver is time where they'll potentially be analysing your test(s) through the test.

The BAD possibility though is that there won't be time at Toronto for your test. In that case you will be given an at-home test to take with you and post in. That means you wouldn't take the test till you arrive at your hotel in Whistler, then put them in the post.

Cheers - we have a scheduled 1hr40 layover at Toronto, which doesn't sound like it's enough!

Arr TOR - 14h50, dep for YYC 16h30

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 30-12-21 14:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
narbs wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
narbs wrote:

Cheers - we have a scheduled 1hr40 layover at Toronto, which doesn't sound like it's enough!

Touch and go.

Make sure you pre-reg at Toronto to get into the shorter queue, but your customs and baggage reclaim is likely to consume at least an hour so it could be very tight
snow report
@Saintsman, we won't need to do reclaim will we?

EDIT - looks like we won't.
snow conditions
Return flight now a day later on the 27th with brit. Airways..plus we have a free cancellation of our UK internal flights and will drive to Heathrow now... otherwise we had a long time to wait in Heathrow between flights both going out and returning..silver lining etc..
snow report
narbs wrote:

I've heard conflicting stories recently about this. Historically, you definitely would need to reclaim as this is your point of entry to Canada, and therefore where you clear customs. Then you would recheck; long time since I flew through Toronto but I seem to recall a bag drop off immediately outside of customers for domestic transfers. Your bags would LOOK like they were fully checked through and have your ultimate destination on them, but you would need to walk them through customs.

However, I've heard recently that some through checked bags and now being transferred directly to domestic flight. I have absolutely no idea how they do a genuine customs check on them in this instance
latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Return flight now a day later on the 27th with brit. Airways..plus we have a free cancellation of our UK internal flights and will drive to Heathrow now... otherwise we had a long time to wait in Heathrow between flights both going out and returning..silver lining etc..

Who's paying for the extra night?
snow report
We have friends in whistler who are putting us up for the extra night
latest report
@yorkshirelad,

...and the extra day's lift tix?? Very Happy
latest report
Hmmmmm

There "ought" to be compensation for this. Although they've made the change outside the 14 day window and offered a replacement flight, that flight is effectively "delayed" by 24 hours. You won;t be able to claim it till you've actually completed the flight and got home, but in theory you're entitled to £520 per person. Expect a fight if you try to claim it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saintsman wrote:
narbs wrote:

I've heard conflicting stories recently about this. Historically, you definitely would need to reclaim as this is your point of entry to Canada, and therefore where you clear customs. Then you would recheck; long time since I flew through Toronto but I seem to recall a bag drop off immediately outside of customers for domestic transfers. Your bags would LOOK like they were fully checked through and have your ultimate destination on them, but you would need to walk them through customs.

However, I've heard recently that some through checked bags and now being transferred directly to domestic flight. I have absolutely no idea how they do a genuine customs check on them in this instance

I spoke to Air Canada yesterday regarding our flight, I'm now 99% sure we WON'T need to claim our baggage in Vancouver and check it back in before our connecting flight to Calgary.

On the phone, they said because it's all been booked under one booking/ticket/(I can't remember the term they used) rather than the two flights individually, the luggage should all automatically be transferred. They said on the phone to check at check-in and make sure the luggage tag (stuck on by Air Canada) has Calgary listed as the final destination.

I know it's been posted a few times, but I'll post a breakdown of the journey, test results times etc when we arrive.
snow report
dalehernando wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
narbs wrote:

I spoke to Air Canada yesterday regarding our flight, I'm now 99% sure we WON'T need to claim our baggage in Vancouver and check it back in before our connecting flight to Calgary.

On the phone, they said because it's all been booked under one booking/ticket/(I can't remember the term they used) rather than the two flights individually, the luggage should all automatically be transferred. They said on the phone to check at check-in and make sure the luggage tag (stuck on by Air Canada) has Calgary listed as the final destination.

I know it's been posted a few times, but I'll post a breakdown of the journey, test results times etc when we arrive.

I'd love to hear if that actually happens that way. Single ticket luggage has always had the final destination listed on the luggage tag, but it's always needed to be collected at your point of entry to Canada to clear customs with you (and potentially be inspected in your presence) before being dropped off again
snow report
@dalehernando, thanks, that’s reassuring - our tickets are like that rather than having made two separate bookings.

Mrs narbs found a page on the Canadian govt website explaining it all which I’ll post once she tells me the link Very Happy
snow conditions
Plans now going nicely.. Very Happy
Pcr booked ..£40 with eurofin , a walking centre
ETA sorted..
Airport Car parking booked
New helmet with visor arrived
New heated glove liners arrived

All ready now...no more problems I hope
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, the way to look at is, you've reclaimed that lost day waiting for the arrival at airport test!

Early start in the morning driving for me from the North East on the 19th, might well start off before 5am just to give myself plenty of time as the M25 is an unpredictable area!

20 sleeps to go!
ski holidays
@Saintsman,

We flew Heathrow to Vancouver and onward flight to vancouver Island. Different airlines but booked on one ticket.
Baggage collected at vancover Island no need to collect at vancouver.
ski holidays
Right! Month in France got scuppered so moved Canada trip forward and extended it to just over two weeks. A nervous next two weeks Laughing But at least getting covid over Christmas means I should be able to skip the arrival test + quarantine
snow report
@Timmaah, where are you going in Canada?
ski holidays
@DrLawn, fwiw it will take you around 150 CDN to fill that beast, but all of you and your stuff will fit inside and they drive and ride surprisingly well for something that has its own postal code!
ski holidays
These webcams look glorious!

https://www.whistler.com/webcams/
ski holidays
RichardB wrote:
@yorkshirelad, the way to look at is, you've reclaimed that lost day waiting for the arrival at airport test!!

We were having 3 nights in vancouver with friends then onto whistler...so just get an extra day skiing..such a hard life Very Happy
snow conditions
DrLawn, Had a Ford Expedition on the last CA roadtrip for the 2 of us, 20 miles on it too at pickup Madeye-Smiley
A few inches longer than a sub - had one in Banff years ago. Both great motas,

The Ford was surprisingly frugal for the size, collected full return empty, and didnt break the bank as topped up regular - put around 2000 miles on it too Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Scooter in Seattle, Yeah the beastie drove pretty well, for its size. Really do prefer the Explorer though, as it feels and handles a little more sporty - managed to get both sliding in cark parks though wink Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy