Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
RichardB wrote:
@Billy steele, I must be on the same flight as you, I’m flying to Vancouver that day for Whistler with Air Canada.

Same flight but on route to Banff
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Billy steele wrote:
dalehernando wrote:
Billy steele wrote:
dalehernando wrote:
We’re going Heathrow to Vancouver then into Calgary. Just another thing to keep my fingers crossed for I guess!

What day are you flying ?

January 1st Very Happy

Would be interested to hear from you same flight bit on the 19th of Jan.

Absolutely, I’ll give a breakdown on how it all goes!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scooter in Seattle wrote:

There is no US national vax card. Having seen no official explanation, I speculate with some degree of confidence that doing so would make a lot of sense to Americans in the middle of the political spectrum, but a sufficiently effective number of folks at both extremes have prevented it on privacy/govt overreach grounds.

Maybe what you need is a combined voter ID/Vax registration/Healthcare card - that way all sides will be happy(?) wink Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The United State is a federation.

And instead of 5, it has 50 states.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stuarth, your glass isn't merely half-full, its overflowing Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you were going to drive from Banff to Fernie, would you drive clockwise through Canmore etc or anti-clockwise through Kootenay National Park towards Cranbrook airport? Both look about the same distance/time (4 hours approx).

Which way would you go and why?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, I'd go south on 2, then down the 22, then onto 3 showing as quickest route atm around 3+ hours. conditions are usually less severe and the only problem would be Crowsnest Pass. It was the usual route tour op buses used IIRC.

Going south the area is flat, as you're crossing the plains, not so scenic but easy to eat up the miles. If you have the time and chance drop into Castle Mtn for a day, lodge a night somewhere then head to Fernie - or do it on the return.

Having been over Crowsnest many a time and never had a problem - great road really and The Rum Runner worth a lunch stop Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Guys, I'm suffering from Covid today so I'm tuning into this thread in anticipation of our trip Kicking Horse on Jan 25th
We flying WestJet to Calgary from Gatwick (I hope)
So I'm tucked away upstairs in our home "Lepper Colony" for the next few days.

We were concerned that the road through from Lake Louise to Golden would be closed but I'm told they have stopped construction for winter.

@stuarth, Its been very many years since we went your way, but I do remember it well...~A great meal by the ferry at Horseshoe Bay and good beer too.
We were making our way up to Lund where the road ended.
I remember my daughter was pi55ed off because the would not let her stay in the bar when the band came on. she was 18 at the time.
It happens to be her birthday today .. she is 45 Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its quite nippy in Golden Kicking Horse this morning ...

This is the thermometer by the hot tub...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

And this is someone with a cool hair cut ... In fact its frozen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got some friends staying in Squamish, and it was -26c skiing today. They said it was chilly
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bones, thanks for that snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Made it to Fernie. Calgary were still not testing every arrival. They didn’t test me. Very cold, such that they’ve closed part of the. Mountain
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn, Looks just about right, love hottubbing when its like that Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

VolklAttivaS5, You're welcome Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Do they actually close the mountain in whistler if it gets too cold ????
latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:

Yes, it's a health and safety thing, at a certain temperature they will close chairs, but gondolas might keep running. Whistler doesn't tend to get such cold temperatures as the interior though.
snow conditions
I get the feeling this is the best course of action to cover all bases when it comes to the COVID tests on arrival into Canada.

1. Put all the details and files correctly into the ArriveCan app and do the Canadian online visa waiver.
2. Make sure the times you book your pre-flight PCR test are within 72 hours of your scheduled flight time.
3. Print off the pre-flight test result and your vaccination record so you have a physical backup.
Finally 4. Wait for the on-arrival airport test to arrive in your hotel room/apartment.
latest report
2 weeks today. Keep that bloody border open......
snow conditions
yorkshirelad wrote:

not just Whistler, all ski areas at least in North America, wont run chairlifts if it gets too cold - as boarder2020 says due to health and safety.
If the chair stops / breaks down and its too cold folks cold die to due the cold sat on them waiting to be evacuated.
snow report
2 weeks tomorrow, please keep that bloody border open Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Laughing
snow report
@Bones, Its great looking at the stars if its dark or the mountains lit by the moon when its clear.
The secret is to tip a glob of Maple Syrup into a small glass of Crown Royal, it seems to make the whole glow warmer.

The only snag is when you climb out of the tub onto the frozen, icy, slippery deck of the Hot Tub and realise the concierge guy who looks after the property has locked the patio doors and gone to bed.

Luckily he lives in the cellar and we managed to wake him up.
But it was as cold as you could imagine it barefooting around to the side of the house to the cellar door.

"WIELLLMERRRR!"
snow report
DrLawn, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Update to give an idea of timings at the mo.....
Son flew into Toronto last night from LHR. Landed at 1730hrs and by 1850 had already had his arrivals test done. So 2350 UK time and his negative result, (or Result!) has just come through, so around 22hrs inc overnight. No problems, other than a 3 hr delay on top of the 2 hr layover, with his onward transfer to Kelowna and been isolating under about 3 duvets in the low temps ever since. Thanks to this thread he had pre registered as much as he could. Even the fact that all of his pre registering was done for Vancouver didn't seem to impede him when he rocked up at Toronto after arriving at LHR to be told by Air Canada he wasn't booked on the flight. That's for a separate thread, but in essence this one has proved useful and the process seemed efficient, so thanks for all the useful input on here
snow conditions
@toyah807, great to hear his result came back ok, and quick!

Not so good to hear about the change in flight though! Shocked
snow report
@toyah807, thanks that’s helpful information.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
@Bones,
The secret is to tip a glob of Maple Syrup into a small glass of Crown Royal, it seems to make the whole glow warmer.

Here's a tip I'll definitely be taking on board Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably read it somewhere..but where do you pre book covid test at vancouver?...
ski holidays
Easiest way now is to just complete ArriveCAN and they link to pre-registration in there
ski holidays
NEW - reference on flyertalk re positive NHS test

Quote:

NHS Proof of Recovery for Canada entry
Long time lurker here - thought I’d share this for those in the same position as me.

I tested positive for covid exactly 14 days ago, which threw my Christmas plans into disarray. I was suppose to fly from LHR to YVR on the 19th. Even after my symptoms cleared, I continued to test positive on PCR tests.

I spent many hours searching the web to see if anyone was able to get in using a positive test result, and without much luck. However, I am happy to report that I was able to use my NHS proof of recovery + positive test result to check in exactly 14 days after the positive result.
snow report
FYI there has been a lot of snow and cold weather in the Pacific NW and it has hammered air travel big time. It may be fine at your destination but aircraft aren't where they are needed anymore, and there have been crew shortages due to covid, snow, and "timing out". If you have a flight in the next 48 hours to anywhere between Vancouver and San Francisco, have a plan B.
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:
Probably read it somewhere..but where do you pre book covid test at vancouver?...
Google it.

YVR has at least three places, at different prices. The city will have more if you want to test there, or you can test eg at multiple places in Whistler. The most expensive is the one in the YVR Fairmont. All the "fit to fly" tests are quick from direct recent experience. If you're using the YVR services, there's one in the Fairmont, one by the 7-11, and a third over in the South Terminal (free shuttle bus or $20 flat rate taxi). I think you ought to pre book (and pay) with all of them, but from what I saw they're not horrendously busy so showing up early will likely work. I don't know if any of them will take "walk ins", but YVR has free wifi, so that's no big deal. An LF test is about $130 at the cheaper places.
snow report
Please may someone also remind me what you are pre-registering for? (genuine question)
snow report
Pre-registration for on-arrival PCR testing.
snow report
@Saintsman, via the arrivecan app? so you don't actually book yourself a test it is through this channel?

@yorkshirelad, may I ask what tests you have booked/ are taking to meet the UK requirement to test ahead of returning (72 hours before departure? and LFT acceptable?)
snow report
We have the lfts that you do 72 hours before returning, whereby you take a test and a photo of it..email it and get your fit to travel code..
Then will probably get the 2 day randox for our return,
Going out we have the pcr from a link on the British Airways site ..Local to us for £34
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:
@Saintsman, via the arrivecan app? so you don't actually book yourself a test it is through this channel?

@yorkshirelad, may I ask what tests you have booked/ are taking to meet the UK requirement to test ahead of returning (72 hours before departure? and LFT acceptable?)

The arrival test is effectively part of the immigration process. Your passport is inspected, they put a sticker on it, that points you to a queue (unless your sticker is green you're getting tested). There is NOTHING to book.

As part of the testing process they need to collect a bunch of details off of you - Name, DOB, passport no., etc. You can pre-register all of that detail and theoretically save yourself some queuing time. Initially, the pre-reg was done directly with the local testing provider (there isn't a single country-wide test of government run umbrella for testing), but there's now pointers inside Arrivecan encouraging you to pre-register, which take you to the correct pre-reg portal based on the airport you're arriving at.

Alternatively, you can not bother and simply join the queue
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, which company are you using?
ski holidays
@Saintsman, that is really clear and very helpful. Thank you Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy