Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Guess I set the bar low, but turns out today at Whistler (or Blackcomb, where I mostly was) was actually really quite good. snowHead snowHead
Reminded myself that Whistler has a ton of great terrain.
Good snow if you know where to find it (left-overs from Thursday/Friday's 20cm dump, mostly tracked but still good) - @boabski, an important feature of skiing Whistler.
Lift lines were mostly decent to short. Shocked
Traffic wasnt crazy so didn't take all that long to get out of Whistler Shocked - North Van was a different story, but can't blame Whistler for that!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sweaman22 wrote:
If you have skins then for me the ultimate experience is one of the helicopter accessed backcountry touring lodges. That's where you can truely justify the 115mm+ wide skis for bottomless powder. Yes it's expensive but quality not quantity. Whilst some of them require full self organized groups for 7 days at a time there are others that you can just book a room and do shorter trips.
Mistaya and Purcell both fly from Golden. Sol is fantastic but heavily subscribed.

Have no doubt heli lodge would be immense. However if you have skins you really don't need a heli to access deep untracked snow. Plenty of stuff straight from the highway (e.g. Rogers pass). I've had epic days of untracked stuff in kicking horse backcountry (molars, repeater, etc.) over a week after the last storm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just seen photos on FB of Kicking Horse and it looks a heck of a lot better than last month when I was there
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arriving Banff on Wednesday, in time for the ski testing in Louise on Friday. Looking forward to that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@VolklAttivaS5,

Double fingers crossed for me - might be back there in April for North American Junior Freeride Championships. One set of fingers crossed for @jnr, qualifying - didn't go all that well at KH in January but form picked up a bit since, and one for there actually being some snow by then!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 14-02-23 1:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stuarth, well the runs I saw on FB looked pretty good. There’s probably still some sharks but in Jan even the Stairway path had some really shitty rocks just hiding beneath the surface.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are arriving on Wednesday then just beware that this weekend is family day (a bank holiday) for Alberta, BC and Sask along with Presidents Day for a lot of the USA.

So it's going to be busier but it'll die down by next week. I.e don't panic on Saturday that it's manic Smile

There is indeed good touring from the road but as I age I find there's often people with higher risk tolerance than me. Half the joy of a lodge is not worrying if anyone has got there first. However everyone should experience a Rockies touring luge run exit (Sherbrooke lake for example) at least once.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, usually saturday is crazy, sunday very slightly less so and monday is much better
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth wrote:

...Good snow if you know where to find it (left-overs from Thursday/Friday's 20cm dump, mostly tracked but still good)...

We may be partly responsible for that... Sorry (not)!

20cm might be what fell but the wind deposited it less evenly (as per usual) and some places had way more and others very little. I know it wasn't a lot by Whistler standards but was some of the best skiing I've had.

The Sat/Sun before were great (had a course booked so skipped the queues) and Tue-Fri best 4 consecutive days I've ever had. Got fresh tracks in Sun Bowl last run of the trip on Fri. End of the day and had it to ourselves and followed out by the ski patrol snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like there’s some decent snowfall at last in Lake Louise and Sunshine?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Problem is whether it can stay stuck on there Sad
Due to super cold early start, lots of problems with the snowpack - Nasty avalanche in the Kicking Horse slackcountry last week Sad
https://avalanche.ca/map?panel=fatal-accidents%2Fterminator-2.5-2023-02-16
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stuarth, yes I saw that about the one in KH.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had a couple of lovely days of touring on the Icefields Thursday / Friday with boot top powder before the zoo that is Family day long weekend started....

Somewhat sobering is that I'm pretty sure we saw the air ambulance on the way back from Golden in the afternoon. I see that both LL and Sunshine are reporting lots of fresh snow but I can't speak to it personally as I avoid resorts on these days. I'm sure it's pretty epic out there today both from a queue perspective and a snow perspective...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sweaman22 wrote:
I had a couple of lovely days of touring on the Icefields Thursday / Friday with boot top powder ...
To the west of there on highway 5, where the flakes are big and fall straight down... there was maybe 50cm at the end of last week then around 20cm more on Saturday.

In the back country here Sunday was face shot after face shot. Well, that's what I pay the big bucks for. There was wind on the ridges too, and that'll have had an effect on anything in it.

Monday... more of the same. Fairly warm (minus 8 or so) and the snowpack feels as you'd expect - slower than when it's colder. There was fog in the valleys, then the predicted storm hit earlier than expected early afternoon. It's been snowing fairly hard since about 12:00, and it's supposed to continue through early morning. The next few days should should be good. The forecast is for sun towards the end of the week.

When there's no sun, there's no pole shadow either.

The end of yet another face shot. You can see the snow's texture.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know where it’s possible to find more affordable accommodation in Canada? Willing to get an Epic or Ikon pass to cut down ski pass costs but accommodation appears to be pricier than Zermatt from my investigations so far!

If possible would rather not have to hire a car so needs to be not too far from an airport..

It will be my first visit to Canada so would like to visit some of the bigger resorts. Advanced intermediate to advanced skiier so tricker terrain is okay.
snow report
@Raven, the Ski Big 3 deals on hotel and lift pass for next winter are up to 45 % off accommodation and lift pass. I’ve found that to be one of the best deals but that would only cover Ski Big 3 resorts. There would be enough to cover a 2 week trip though and you wouldn’t need a car the ski bus service is excellent.
You could stay elsewhere but getting around by public transport is not easy and it’s time consuming, a car is better.
You could look at Revelstoke, the accommodation is not bad value for money there (not at the ski hill) and the lift pass price is not bad either even if you book it direct through the resort website (on the winter special). There’s a ski shuttle bus from the town to the resort which runs regularly. Getting to Revelstoke from Calgary takes a long time though. Banff is less than 2 hours.
snow report
@Raven, I think Banff would be a good start for you, that’s what I did for my first visit to Canada and I really enjoyed it.
snow conditions
Always booked through BigSki3. Very accommodating folk who work there.
Get in early for 45% off.
14 nights hotel inc flights,transfers,ski hire x2 lift passes and food for the whole holiday will be appx 6.5-7k.

We are off on Thursday morning for two weeks. 11days skiing and two days off slotted in between somewhere.
Generally ski 4 days and a days walking or go to ice skate and a walk around lake Louise.
Walked around the Golf course at Banff Fairmont last April. It’s was a stunning day.

Looks a bit nippy on arrival but temperatures rise nicely. A good covering of snow this last day or two.
snow conditions
@Raven,
Quote:

Anyone know where it’s possible to find more affordable accommodation in Canada?

Avoid whistler. Banff is the second most expensive place, although I think you can get a hostel bed there for about $35 per night which will likely be your cheapest option. Other ski hills will be cheaper.

Quote:

If possible would rather not have to hire a car so needs to be not too far from an airport..

There are no resorts "close" to an airport. You don't necessarily need to hire a car though, for some places you can use a shuttle to take you from airport to base. Be aware it's not like Europe where you tend to stay in the village at the bottom of the lifts. For example in Banff the resorts are a decent drive away, although serviced by free buses. In some places there is no bus between town and resort, hitchhiking is fairly common, but if you are not comfortable with that make sure you pick somewhere with a bus.

Quote:

It will be my first visit to Canada so would like to visit some of the bigger resorts

Day passes are expensive and getting around without a car is not so easy. It may make sense to stick to one place. People do multiple seasons at all the big resorts, there's no reason you shouldn't find enough to keep you entertained for 2 weeks.

Quote:

Advanced intermediate to advanced skiier so tricker terrain is okay.

Seen a lot of "advanced" skiers used to euro groomed runs get quickly humbled in n America. "That's actually an official run?!" Finding difficult terrain won't be an issue.

I think the suggestion of Banff is a good one. You have access to 3 resorts (although nakiska is certainly a smaller place). You can even do a day trip to kicking horse (there used to be a deal where you basically got free transport there and back for the price of a lift pass). Buses mean you won't need a car.

Fernie is perhaps a cheaper option for accomodation (although transfers from airport likely to be more expensive). The resort is only 5mins from town, so certainly less time commuting than at Banff, and I'm assuming the bus still runs.
snow report
stuarth wrote:
Problem is whether it can stay stuck on there Sad
Due to super cold early start, lots of problems with the snowpack - Nasty avalanche in the Kicking Horse slackcountry last week Sad
https://avalanche.ca/map?panel=fatal-accidents%2Fterminator-2.5-2023-02-16

There's slides on t2.5 every year, but nothing on the scale of this recent one. Very touchy snowpack this year. There were even a few slides during the FWT comp on ozone. Definitely a time for conservative decision making.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Raven, I think Banff would be a good start for you, that’s what I did for my first visit to Canada and I really enjoyed it.

Banff is high on my list. Accommodation looks a bit cheaper there too.

Would there be enough skiing for 10-14 days in the area?

Also, have heard that it gets crazy cold there. I normally ski in Europe late January as I like cold temperature and fresh snow (which still seems to elude me most of the time) but not sure if this might be too cold even for me. Is there an optimum time to visit?
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
@Raven,
Quote:

Anyone know where it’s possible to find more affordable accommodation in Canada?

Avoid whistler. Banff is the second most expensive place, although I think you can get a hostel bed there for about $35 per night which will likely be your cheapest option. Other ski hills will be cheaper.

Quote:

There are no resorts "close" to an airport. You don't necessarily need to hire a car though, for some places you can use a shuttle to take you from airport to base. Be aware it's not like Europe where you tend to stay in the village at the bottom of the lifts. For example in Banff the resorts are a decent drive away, although serviced by free buses. In some places there is no bus between town and resort, hitchhiking is fairly common, but if you are not comfortable with that make sure you pick somewhere with a bus.

Quote:

It will be my first visit to Canada so would like to visit some of the bigger resorts

Day passes are expensive and getting around without a car is not so easy. It may make sense to stick to one place. People do multiple seasons at all the big resorts, there's no reason you shouldn't find enough to keep you entertained for 2 weeks.

Quote:

Advanced intermediate to advanced skiier so tricker terrain is okay.

Seen a lot of "advanced" skiers used to euro groomed runs get quickly humbled in n America. "That's actually an official run?!" Finding difficult terrain won't be an issue.

I think the suggestion of Banff is a good one. You have access to 3 resorts (although nakiska is certainly a smaller place). You can even do a day trip to kicking horse (there used to be a deal where you basically got free transport there and back for the price of a lift pass). Buses mean you won't need a car.

Fernie is perhaps a cheaper option for accomodation (although transfers from airport likely to be more expensive). The resort is only 5mins from town, so certainly less time commuting than at Banff, and I'm assuming the bus still runs.

Some great advice. A longer bus ride from the airport is fine. Some of my bus transfers in Japan have been 5 hours! Also would be okay with buses to the ski area from town.

Day trip to Kicking Horse sounds brilliant. Didn’t realise it was close to Banff.

It would be easier to stick to what I’m used to which is Europe or Japan but I’ve never been to North America before so visiting somewhere new sounds like fun.
latest report
Raven wrote:
Anyone know where it’s possible to find more affordable accommodation in Canada? Willing to get an Epic or Ikon pass to cut down ski pass costs but accommodation appears to be pricier than Zermatt from my investigations so far!
I'm a bit out of date on cheap skate, but back in the day the trick would be to for example stay in the town not on the hill, and use the local shuttle school bus to get from one to the other. That worked for Golden and Revelstoke and Kelowna and Kamloops and Fernie.... and if you're smart with the bus you can save a hotel night by using overnight buses on the way in and out. The tourist places... I'd look at package tour people for those, as their prices are going to be hard to beat. Places like Whistler... I used to stay in Pemberton and drive back to Whistler (obviously using the free parking lot), but Pemberton's not as cheap as it was and it's a fair commute. You just have to work at it a bit to figure out the wrinkles.

It's definitely cheaper but much harder without a car, although I did it for many years. Bear in mind the locations of bus stations and other stuff often aren't convenient - I nearly died in minus 40 when dropped at the Greyhound stop at 04:00 once upon a time. You need to allow for taxis if you're playing the bus game.

Banff isn't a cheap place, neither's Whistler. You need to be more intrepid to get it cheaper.

Quote:
Would there be enough skiing for 10-14 days in the area?
You may need a different mindset for North America. Whistler's as big as it gets, and it's got around 20 lifts. The Three Valleys has around 200. If you want to cruise a lot of different runs, the latter is a better choice. It's more about finding good snow than ticking off lots of different runs.

We had minus 38 in December for one day, but it's more usually minus 5 to about minus 20 depending on where you are. It's not a problem, just bring layers.
latest report
@phil_w - love those BC glade pictures - may favorite terrain in the world!

@Raven - Agree with others on their points. No where is really near an airport but Banff / Whistler is probably most set-up for travel without a car. Other resorts are going to be more and more car centric.

As I've said before I love the BC interior resorts (Silver Star, Big White, Sun Peaks) and there's probably shuttle buses from Kelowna / Vernon airports to them but I think it's going to be more expensive than Banff.
ski holidays
@phil_w, definitely used to be easier, but greyhound stopped running a few years ago. Now there is a lot less bus routes and they tend to be a lot more expensive. There are ride share apps and pretty active Facebook groups, which are fine for longer more flexible trips - but perhaps not reliable or frequent enough for people on a short holiday. So yes, still doable without a car, but certainly some areas are much easier with one.

Quote:

You may need a different mindset for North America. Whistler's as big as it gets, and it's got around 20 lifts. The Three Valleys has around 200. If you want to cruise a lot of different runs, the latter is a better choice. It's more about finding good snow than ticking off lots of different runs.

This is great advice.

Quote:

Day trip to Kicking Horse sounds brilliant. Didn’t realise it was close to Banff.

Well "close" is relative, it's around 2 hours. But it's an option if you wanted to add in another resort. https://www.banfftours.com/activities/kicking-horse/

Quote:

Also, have heard that it gets crazy cold there. I normally ski in Europe late January as I like cold temperature and fresh snow (which still seems to elude me most of the time) but not sure if this might be too cold even for me. Is there an optimum time to visit?

If I was doing a 2 week trip to Banff I'd wait till after January. I just don't really see any benefit to going then over say late Feb where temps are warmer (but still plenty cold for snow), snowpack is greater so less sharks, and chance of powder days are pretty similar. If budget is an issue I'd even be tempted to wait till march, where you can get a cheap spring pass (this years lake Louise spring pass is $600cad for unlimited from march 1st till end of the season).
snow conditions
Thanks for advice everyone. Lots to think about.

Had read that some of the best skiing in Canada and US is March (or late February) so fine to change my usual dates. Just not someone that needs sunshine and spring conditions (or even enjoys them). I’m coming from Australia. I want it to look like and fell like winter snowHead
ski holidays
@Raven,

I always go to Canada in March. The clocks change halfway through the month, so you get more time on the hill, and usually you get some decent snowfall. Big plus is that it's a lot warmer than Jan/Feb (if you're thinking of Banff, this is a really big plus!).

Spring conditions can be variable, and sometimes sketchy on the lower parts of the hill, but usually there's good snow higher up (and slush has its own peculiar attraction - although it's possible that I'm just a bit weird).
snow report
Acacia wrote:
@Raven,

I always go to Canada in March. The clocks change halfway through the month, so you get more time on the hill, and usually you get some decent snowfall. Big plus is that it's a lot warmer than Jan/Feb (if you're thinking of Banff, this is a really big plus!).

Spring conditions can be variable, and sometimes sketchy on the lower parts of the hill, but usually there's good snow higher up (and slush has its own peculiar attraction - although it's possible that I'm just a bit weird).

I’m very much not a slush fan. More of winter wonderland / fresh snowfall kind of girl snowHead

Late Feb / early March sounds promising.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raven wrote:
Thanks for advice everyone. Lots to think about.

Had read that some of the best skiing in Canada and US is March (or late February) so fine to change my usual dates. Just not someone that needs sunshine and spring conditions (or even enjoys them). I’m coming from Australia. I want it to look like and fell like winter snowHead

It will look and feel like winter in late Feb, early to mid March alright! Have a look at Instagram for Kicking Horse, Banff Sunshine and Lake Louise and look at the stories on there at the moment, that will give you an idea on exactly what it’s like/can be like this week in Feb.
I wouldn’t go in Jan again to Banff, (first time was late Feb/Mar 2020 but this year I already had plans for late Feb/Mar so I went mid Jan to Banff so I could fit it in plus I was interested to make the comparison). To be fair it was a slim snowpack for the time of year this time but I scraped too many rocks for my tastes. So like others have said late Feb March allows the best chance of no sharks.
snow report
As others have said they got rid of the Greyhound bus. They do offer Rider Express for some destinations.

I noticed for some reason there’s no shuttle from Calgary Airport to Fernie anymore either.

There’s plenty of buses available from Calgary to Banff, this time I used Banff Airporter. Very good.
ski holidays
@Raven, there will be plenty to keep you occupied in the Ski Big 3 resorts for 10-14 days especially if you do a day trip to Kicking Horse as well or go twice. There’s other things to do in Banff that are non ski related and it’s got some astonishing scenery.
It’s about finding interesting terrain/powder/good snow, if you want miles and miles of piste cruising and more pistes than you can ski in a week then there’s more appropriate resorts in the Alps that fit the bill, like the French mega resorts and big Austrian resorts like Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Kitzbuhel etc.
snow conditions
@sweaman22, @stuarth, you know on these quite deep snow days of say 30cm plus like there is at the moment (according to the videos I’ve seen last couple of days), how much difference in float do you think you get on your 110-115 underfoot skis compared to your 94-100 underfoot skis?
What do you think? Big difference or not that much?
snow report
Caveat - So I'm a pretty intermediate to somewhat advanced skier by Canadian skiers.. I learnt to ski in Europe as an adult before emigrating and so I don't have that natural swing and style that almost all the locals show. I can ski double blacks at the likes of Lake Louise but only in good conditions. I regularly ski with people who can make almost any width work in almost any condition - that's not me.

For inbounds skiing (i.e at a resort) my biggest skis are 106 underfoot and I definitely notice the improvement over my other 84 resort skis. Even when it's 30cm+ it's probably on a firm skied base which means the powder isn't truly bottomless so I reckon 106 is fine. Inevitably by the end of the day stuff is getting skied out and I think I'd struggle to handle some big powder planks. There's just aren't enough days for me to really justify anything bigger.

Out of bounds (touring / cat etc) then it's a different matter entirely. At that kind of snowfall on a soft snowpack then I find my 116 underfoot is almost essential. I have smaller touring skis as well but really that's mostly a weight compromise and again I struggle with really wide skis on rockies touring luge exits. If I'm going to a lodge or similar than I'll almost always take my fattest skis unless it's spring. There are a few lodges in the Monashee snowbelt that pretty much insist on 110+ during the big snow fall months.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5,
I don't even have a pair of skis that is less than 108 underfoot! Madeye-Smiley (well, I do have some race skis tucked away somewhere, but they've not seen snow for quite some time!).
Mostly I am skiing on 118s once there is any sort of decent snow. 108 is fine for pretty much any amount of snow, but the flex and rocker pattern of the bigger skis and bit of extra girth makes them work better for me in drops (don't really do them much anymore, though following the kids around has made me more "jumpy" recently), and in the heavier snow we get here - I even have some really funky 130 skis, but they are a bit hard on my dodgy knees so have mostly been retired.
I skied bottomless pow cat-skiing in the interior on my 90 something mk1 Mantras quite a few years back - I think apart from a few people who had borrowed heli-skis, they were the biggest Skis on the cat and had no problem with the pow! Madeye-Smiley Big skis do make it easier though.
latest report
@sweaman22, @stuarth, thanks so much.
It’s just the widest skis I’ve ever had are 99 under foot and they seem fine, I couldn’t really tell the difference between those and older ‘off piste’ skis I’ve had which were 86 under foot and 94 under foot in terms of float, I could only tell that my earlier ‘off piste’ skis were way softer than my Slight 100s (actually 99). I’m not used to skiing really really deep snow though, it’s 30-40cm max on a firm/skied base like you say. I’m looking at getting some Mindbender 106s as my next all mountain skis (I only really want to use one pair for everything) but as I’m used to skiing narrow skis by today’s standards off piste I don’t know if they will be more hindrance than help in the most common conditions we get in the Alps i.e. not powder days
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5,
I don't really see slightly wider skis as a hindrance, and think that round 106 width is kind of a sweet spot.
Obviously you give up hard snow performance even with modern torsionally stiffer fatter skis, but for me hard snow is just a way to get to better snow so I'm not that bothered. Except on the race course, where do you really get the benefits of safely opening up an out and out carving ski?
You also give up some powder performance by not being on the fattest skis possible with the most rocker, but realistically how often are you doing heli-lines, and 106 isn't exactly slim.
For me I'm looking at a bit more than the width. I'm looking for a ski that is light enough for the occasional slackcountry work, but burley enough to blast through crud, as again being realistic (particularly since most of my skiing is in Whistler!) that is going to be a lot of the stuff they have to deal with. Ability to be maneuverable in the trees, handle variable snow, and still charge pow comes down to construction, rocker, and shape as much as waist.
The place where I found super fat skis are really noticeable better are in super-heavy pow, and for landing drops; whether its worth it sort of depends what you want to ski. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@stuarth, true, and these Mindbenders attracted me because of the light weight and the reviews I’ve seen. They are pretty light for the occasional skin, 3340g which is 140g more than my current skis so not a lot.

I think I’m going to have to find some on my next trip and just try them.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5,
Skiing deeper/heavier west coast pow is also a lot to do with technique and practice, so unfortunately fatter skis aren't the entire answer! Madeye-Smiley snowHead
A stark example of this was at the Whitewater freeride comp this year - after some decent pow earlier in the week, unusually super wet heavy pow later in the week for qualies. The local kids (who are probably some of the best skiers in the province) kind of struggled a bit; the Whistler kids (also some of the best skiers in the province*) on the other hand skied with a noticeably different and cleaner technique in heavy pow.

On that basis, I think as well as buying new skis, you should also clearly be doing a much longer trip out here for more practice! Razz wink

*as an example, this is a 15 year old whistler freeride kid hitting Crocodile Rock (Sun Bowl, Whistler) on Saturday https://www.instagram.com/p/Co0sN6tjo-J/ He fully expected to land that!! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
I'd agree on 105ish being a sweet spot. The main reason I have 84's is because sweajnr is currently in a race team and being course crew would be challenging on something that wide.
snow conditions
@stuarth, oh don’t worry we get plenty of heavy deep ish snow like thick porridge with very little milk in the Alps so I’ve had plenty of practice in that for sure! You can come to a stop in it sometimes it’s that heavy!
You get the moderate to heavy snowfalls quite regularly depending on the season but then it doesn’t stay as powder as it gets too warm. The aspect, time of day and wind direction makes a big difference there. I’d say that was my norm really and why I get on a plane to Canada to get those consistently cold temperatures (pretty much, some days in the Alps it can be +12 C then -5 C over night so you get some interesting conditions from large fluctuations so if it stays in the minus temps in Canada then that’s a win).
It does mean if you can ski all the crap snow going fluffy light snow is a dream come true!
Can’t complain though as it’s only 2 hours by plane so that’s nothing by Canadian travel standards.
When it’s good though it’s really good!
I remember one March in Kitzbuhel there was a guy repping for the SCGB and he had spent many seasons in Whistler, he said it was one of the best powder days he had ever had despite this and I saw recently he even wrote about it in a magazine!
But those epic days are not as frequent as I’d like. That day was memorable though!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy