Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
@stuarth, yes these were pretty beaten up! Nothing serious but the base edges had all sorts of scratches and dings on them and that was keeping my eyes peeled at all times and taking the snowiest line whereever.

Are those Ragnaroks 118 underfoot? What about the Rangers?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-02-23 0:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5, we're one pair each too - logistics costs etc make it awkward for more.

Currently using Volkl Kendo - 90mm underfoot, happy in 2ft of fresh or hardpack groomers. SWMBO on Volkl Kenja ( identical ski as the Kendo marketed for Ladies wink )
For fun on quiet days we'll swop skis, or often just the one ski Toofy Grin Which leads to interesting chats on the chairlifts Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes Ragnaroks are 118. Rangers are 108 (I think)

Was using the Ragnaroks at Red Mtn last week. A bit of a mix of snow there, but still work ok.
Worked really well last month at Whitewater and Big White where there was some nice pow! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I’ve got a fair bit of life left in mine as I’ve done about 20 weeks on them but it is good to know what other people use with similar terrain interests/abilities!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Multiple pairs of skis.... From 84 underfoot all the way to 116....

If I could only use one it'd be my pair of Rossi Soul 7 at 106. Still workable on groomers and good enough for resort powder especially in the Rockies. My 116 are touring specific for proper BC backcountry powder days.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 8-02-23 0:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sweaman22, which one have you taken out the most this season so far?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sneaky edit.

This season it's been the Volkl Kanjo 84's except for a few days at Kimberly just after Christmas where I took the Rossi's.

We're the kind of family though that can take multiple pairs of skis just to Sunshine for the day though......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sweaman22, you wouldn’t wear the same ones all day?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm joking a bit but only a bit. Certainly my son will often take race skis and free skis so he doesn't wreck the former in the rocks. That's pretty normal.

I'll also sometimes take touring skis for a lap out the back of sunshine or similar and then switch to groomers at lunch time.

Most of the time it's one pair but if I'm going away for the weekend or longer they're all in the ski box.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sweaman22, well with a car you might as well have the choice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sweaman22 wrote:
I'm joking a bit but only a bit. Certainly my son will often take race skis and free skis so he doesn't wreck the former in the rocks. That's pretty normal.

I'll also sometimes take touring skis for a lap out the back of sunshine or similar and then switch to groomers at lunch time.

Most of the time it's one pair but if I'm going away for the weekend or longer they're all in the ski box.

Fortunately my son is in freeride so no need to cart race skis around, but do normally take 2 pairs in the truck for him when we're on the road - he snapped a ski about an hour before a comp once! Shocked rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I get where you are coming from, but I'm not sure it really helps long term. I think it just ensures that bad practices are perpetuated.
But, you are also right that it can't be fixed by making the low paid workers suffer. Instead people like me and @gryphea should not blindly accept it but be pressuring those who can fix it to do something about it (MPs, MLAs, hotel/cafe/restaurant/ski hill management, etc).

I live in Alberta and therefore I have a lot more things to get worked up about in terms things that could do with change. The requirement to tip doesn't really feature too high up my list of things that are important to change, I just accept it and go with the flow. I even over tip sometimes so not all brits get a bad reputation, so I guess I perpetuate the system. Plus I have two teenagers and know how important the tips are to a generation that suffered the most in the pandemic. I don't see it as a good thing and I don't think its just Alberta. Its definitely the places I visit in BC too. But it exists and therefore I tip

I would draw the line at supermarket tipping though. rolling eyes But then Big Sky seems a rip off for everything. We were thinking of going for a race last year and realized we couldn't afford to ski and we certainly couldn't afford to stay. One year we'll get mountain collective and go and stay off hill .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow.... I wish I hadnt asked! Shocked .

I'll tip when I get there... with cash..... and not the default on the machine
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So - getting away from tips! Returning to the earlier discussion about roads does anyone have any ideas what the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper might be like in April. Our flights are booked and we’re planning a bit of a road trip staying in Banff, Sunshine Lodge and LL.
We were wondering about adding in Jasper/Marmot basin on the way? The advice I can find is that pretty much everything will be shut and it’s three hours without phone signal! If the road will be clear and busy that’s fine but don’t want to die alone in a snowdrift!

The flight home is evening so plenty of time to drive Jasper to Calgary the long, non mountain route
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My wife and I have booked Banff for Jan 2024 Very Happy

We went Jan 2022 and had such a great time. Looking forward to a direct, mask-less, test-less flight and no quarantine rules etc this time (hopefully!) Razz
latest report
TommyJ wrote:
... does anyone have any ideas what the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper might be like in April. ... We were wondering about adding in Jasper/Marmot basin on the way? The advice I can find is that pretty much everything will be shut and it’s three hours without phone signal! If the road will be clear and busy that’s fine but don’t want to die alone in a snowdrift!
Beautiful, if you're lucky. It was fine on xmas day just after a storm which closed most of everything especially aircraft - that was "packed powder" and quiet. It's not a very steep or windy route or anything like that. I drove it last March and it was nearly all bare, it'll likely be bare in April (the last time I was there then was a while back). If you're not familiar with driving on any snow you do encounter ... just take it steady and don't tailgate. It's not switchbacks and massive drop offs or anything.

Google drive times may be a bit optimistic, from a quick check. They have my regular drive (not the parkway) as 6.5 hours, where as it's more like 8 including stops. So be a bit wary of that.

You can look at the webcams to see highway conditions (although I can't find exactly what you want, maybe it's not there):
https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/index-Northern.html
Calgary airport cannot rent you a car without "Winter tires", but they will also try to scare you into paying more for "winter wheels".
It's a commission sale which I always decline.

Not sure what people think is shut. Marmot Basin isn't massive, although Jasper's quite nice and Robson is pretty etc.
latest report
@phil_w, I was thinking that about the hire cars at Calgary Airport, they must have legal tyres on them and although specific winter tyres are not mandatory between Nov and Apr in Alberta surely the vast majority of hire cars have suitable tyres on? What do you get? M+S?
What’s the extra charge for? Specific winter tyres?
latest report
Does anyone know if the trail ‘Rock Garden’ in Lake Louise is open yet? It was closed when I was there (obviously).
snow report
By ‘shut’ I think it was referring to services along the Icefields park way - like campsites, the few restaurants and the one petrol station etc

How long should I allow for driving from Lake Louise to Jasper? Presume a day should be ok?
latest report
@TommyJ, I don't recall exactly how long it took when I did it 15-odd years ago, but it was all in daylight hours, so yeah, one day. I don't think we stopped at all en route either, so I'm guessing it might have been close to the three hour directions that you'll get from google and other map sites.

Quite a spectacular drive, but lonely. We did it just before xmas, -20 or lower, in just an ordinary rental car, no drama, no hassle. Yeah, I'm sure it would have had suitable tyres by default, certainly don't think we had anything extra to pay.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Does anyone know if the trail ‘Rock Garden’ in Lake Louise is open yet? It was closed when I was there (obviously).

Not surprised it wasnt when you were there, needs quite a bit of snow in it.

Always been open when we've been, mid Feb, and a fun not too challenging run - should be open next year Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Bones, yes it was definitely open in late Feb 2020. Think it was the first run I skied once I got to the top of Larch. Good fun and very different to what you’d find in the Alps.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Bones, yes it was definitely open in late Feb 2020. Think it was the first run I skied once I got to the top of Larch. Good fun and very different to what you’d find in the Alps.

Fun stuff like that is one of the draws for us to ski North America, but each to their own, and wouldnt try and convince others Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Bones, yes it’s a different market altogether the Alps. I like both areas for different reasons. Many of the clientele the Alps caters for would not like the skiing in North America as they would find it too challenging, there are a surprising number of people who don’t like it when it snows.
ski holidays
Wheres the snow? Seems not much snow fallen lately bar odd flurries.

Hopefully it bucks the trend in two weeks time.
ski holidays
Seems to have been quite a bit of snow in the Banff area - 20cm in the last 24hrs
latest report
For those who’ve travelled to Canada recently has anyone hired a car? Seems to be really expensive even for a fairly small car. I’ve also got confused with the insurance - what do we need? We’ve been quoted €350 for insurance, does the insurance we can take out here cover this? Apparently most Canadians are covered through their own policies so don’t need this
snow report
Nothing they sell "at the desk" is essential, it's sold on a commission basis. They can't rent you an illegal car. Therefore it's best to sort everything out in advance, no one needs a scary pitch for commission when you're jet lagged.

The car itself is insured, it's the excess which they try to sell you additional insurance on. The size of the excess is usually about a grand. You need to use a credit card generally to cover that (they don't like debit cards). If you want to insure the excess ("collision damage waiver") then you can do that at the desk (an expensive commission based sale), or you can do it in advance from the UK via various routes. I never bother - I don't crash cars, and a grand is neither here nor there if I do. The major risk if you drive the Coquihalla is a cracked screen (because they grit the road and the traffic there is 2 lanes and quick) - I've had one in about 60 trips, and it cost about $250 for them to replace for me. If you want to insure your excess, doing it "at the desk" is the most expensive way.

You can "join" the major hire car companies for free in advance, which can help avoid the upsell business and get through the process quicker.

My xmas rental was the biggest 4wd I've ever seen with at least 6 seats, and was $100 a day. It had electric steps so you could get in. I always decline the commission sales. When I'm alone I rent the smallest thing they have: they don't have anything actually small. They usually try to sell me an upgrade, then give it to me when I politely decline. So daily costs will be less than that!

Here's a couple of shots from my xmas month this season which are typical for that time.

This was Xmas eve on Highway 5 - most airlines were shut down because of the storm.

You can get a feel for current conditions on the webcams linked above.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@phil_w, good tip about booking the smallest they have when you’re alone knowing they don’t have anything that small anyway!
latest report
That second pic on Highway 5 looks pretty snowy but I’ve driven in more than that in the Alps before so that fills me with more confidence. I keep imagining it to be much more challenging. At least they don’t really have windy roads there.
snow report
@phil_w, who do you usually rent through? Hertz? Dollar? Anyone in particular you prefer?
snow conditions
RoamingBull wrote:
Wheres the snow? Seems not much snow fallen lately bar odd flurries.

Hopefully it bucks the trend in two weeks time.

Banff Sunshine app says 16cm last 24 hours 37cm in the last week.
ski holidays
Thanks. That’s really good advice. So just to clarify - the car will have basic third party - the legal minimum??
Even if I use a UK insurer for the excess that will save loads
snow conditions
For people from the UK booking cars, have a look at Canadian Affair - I've rented a couple of times through them and their prices have been really competitive and include the highest level of insurance (so you don't need to take anything offered at the rental desk!).
ski holidays
@SLB79, good tip thanks
snow report
Has anyone else got any ski comments to make as I’m interested in what people use (thanks to those that have said already)

Wish I was going back to Canada this season but alas it won’t be possible until next year now.
snow conditions
Re snowfall I’ve got Red and Revelstoke on Instagram as well as the Ski Big 3 resorts and Kicking Horse. Red and Revelstoke have definitely had more snow recently and from the off this year than the others have. Someone did say they do get more around that Selkirk range and I can see it for myself.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
That second pic on Highway 5 looks pretty snowy but I’ve driven in more than that in the Alps before so that fills me with more confidence. I keep imagining it to be much more challenging. At least they don’t really have windy roads there.

There are plenty of twisty bits too - even on seemingly more major roads such as highway 3.
Coquihalla part of 5 is pretty straight and fast though - the issues there are caused by the elevation change and lots of trucks. On Monday I had sun, high winds, fog, rain, and snow - all within a few km! Shocked Last few days it has had a lot of snow and travel advisories - its winter in Canada Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

Red and Revelstoke on Instagram

Never trust Instagram. At red I saw the resorts social media team hike up about 10ft above a lift to a patch of untracked snow which doesn't get any tracks because it would be 2 turns at most. Skier drops in and does a massive hockey stop kicking up loads of snow. That day the photo went up on Instagram with some tag line along the lines of "still lots of freshies to be found". Reality was it had been over a week since the last storm and everything was completely tracked out.

Not trying to pick on red, they all do it. In fact I think whistler got caught using out of bounds videos/photos in their social media.

Instagram doesn't equal reality. But that's true for more than just ski resorts.

The weird outlier for me is Rogers pass which always seems to get more snow than kicking horse and revy. Plus I suspect the reporting is more accurate there as I presume it's done by highways/government rather than a ski resort who tend to put their snow plots in "favourable" positions.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Re snowfall I’ve got Red and Revelstoke on Instagram as well as the Ski Big 3 resorts and Kicking Horse. Red and Revelstoke have definitely had more snow recently and from the off this year than the others have. Someone did say they do get more around that Selkirk range and I can see it for myself.

Luckily enough I've been checking all these places out myself over the last month, and was at Red last week Madeye-Smiley
Haven't been to Revy yet this year, but have been to Kicking Horse, Whitewater, Big White, and just back from Red. Haven't been to Whistler for a few weeks, but think they are doing pretty ok - not a spectacular year so far (except the busyness which is pretty spectacular! Sad ) , but not bad snow.
Kicking Horse was struggling, Red was ok could do with a bit more. Whitewater and Big White had a decent amount of snow.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 9-02-23 19:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy