Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
@Saintsman,

I think you're right, it just sets things back to where they were a few months ago.
I know it's a pain in the ass for visitors, but I think arrival testing makes more sense than travel bans except in very specific circumstances. For me it's less of a pain than a pre-departure test because if I leave Canada then I might have an extra unplanned couple of weeks out of the country.
Would make sense for them to be testing us here a lot more than they do too without even travelling anywhere - I think my trip in a Gondola is likely higher risk Madeye-Smiley - would be quite happy if they made everyone do a rapid test for all those kind of things too!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Suspect Canada my follow Frances lead and stop all non essential travel..
No wonder when we booked accommodation in whistler in june for a quarter of the price if i paid in advance, non refundable as well... oh hum
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
????

Everything I booked in Whistler was stupendously discounted, 100% moveable, 100% refundable and everything.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm hoping yesterday's announcement means no further measures are likely before Saturday!!

I guess now I just have to hope that the arrival PCR doesn't take too long to come back!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RosigLOL, I'm guessing nothing has changed for you?

Did you book through a travel company, just wondered if you'd had any contact?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any and all testing and certifications are what is keeping travel going. I actually think that the travel industry, like the hospitality industry, are not helping themselves on this. They should be working hard on more ways to make it safer. I want travel to be the safest thing in my trip: they need to convince me that there's a respectable chance they won't give me Covid.
--

This morning, LHR is a zoo, bigger AC line ups than I've seen for a long time,. T2 is much busier generally than 6 months ago, and fewer Covid restrictions are in place. They had to build an extension for the cattle-class line up which I've never seen before. My last flight for snowboarding Iceland, everyone had their own row, this sucker looks full. At the prospect of a full flight plus that line up I upgraded - if I have to quarantine in YVR that's 6 times the cost of an upgrade, assuming I don't eat or drink.

I expect it's the additional document checks which are causing the lineups.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@philwig, I noticed when boarding my Lufthansa flight on Monday, the cabin staff provided everyone with a rather large wet wipe in a packet for wiping their hands over with presumably. They didn’t hand those out on the same flight in Nov. I always take my own anyway but it was quite nice to have that given to you, whether it makes an iota of difference who knows but some people won’t have washed their hands since they left the house that morning (or even the night before Laughing ) so it may help a bit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So Xmas and New year in Cham scuppered...

What's the procedure for Canada?
Get a PCR in the UK less than 72 hours before flying?
I see something about possibility of been chosen for a PCR when arriving in Canada, could I pre book a rapid PCR to guarantee not been stuck in isolation for days waiting on results?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For Canada, assuming things stay as they are currently

1 - PCR Test 72 hours before scheduled departure
2 - Complete Arrivecan including vax info, and quarantine location
3 - PCR on arrival. Isolate till results come through. This PCR test is provided by PHC, cannot be avoided, and cannot be subbed for a rapid test
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, that's annoying don't mind waiting up to a day for results but don't want to be stuck for several days :/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Supposedly if you don't have a result after 4 days you can get an alternative.

It's not a system designed for rapid entry; it's for keeping Covid out
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yorkshirelad wrote:
for a quarter of the price

Saintsman wrote:
????
was stupendously discounted.

Is "stupendously discounted" less or more than "quarter of the price"?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:
for a quarter of the price

Saintsman wrote:
????
was stupendously discounted.

Is "stupendously discounted" less or more than "quarter of the price"?

I got 6 weeks at the Pan Pacific Mountainside for less than I have previously paid for 9 days
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/12/canada-set-to-tighten-travel-rules-in-response-to-omicron-1220091.html#gs.izwtxl
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FoofyNoo wrote:
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/12/canada-set-to-tighten-travel-rules-in-response-to-omicron-1220091.html#gs.izwtxl

Ummm - isn;t that just what was announced yesterday?
ski holidays
I just completed my ArriveCAN and now have a receipt for travel on Saturday. It's asking me to pre-register for arrival testing to "speed up your testing experience". The link for Calgary airport takes you to register with SwitchHealth. Does anyone know if you pre-register, you get on site tested at the airport, as opposed to self-swab kit which needs to be collected by courier from your place of quarantine, leading to significant delay with results?

The first question in registration is "Welcome to ASMO! Were you given a Switch Health RT-PCR Collection Kit upon entering Canada?"
ski holidays
I pre registered with switch each time to avoid queues at airport only did on site testing so not sure about the alternative
snow report
Ah OK. Presumably when you went through the border agent with your documents they gave you a piece of paper or something that told you to proceed to on site testing?
snow conditions
Whether you're testing onsite or getting a kit is supposedly primarily down to whether you're making an internal connection and can't afford to hang around, or whether you're finished flying.
snow conditions
Ah that would make sense. Hopefully that is the case.

Turns out you need a US/CA phone number to register anyway as it's a required field and I don't have one, so will just have to do it at the airport anyway.
ski holidays
Yeah, that's a problem for any province that uses Switch
snow report
Normally price for 11 nights was £2300.. we got it for £550... but took the gamble ... might not now pay off..but hey ho
you never know, we might still get there, but as europe now consider the vaccine useless and PCR testing is not worth doing I can't see Canada staying open for much longer..especially from the unclean of the UK
snow report
I think I’d sooner queue at the airport and have it done there than have to take the test to the hotel with me and have a courier collect it.
At least at the airport the result might come back quickly.
I wonder how this is going to work with shared transfers? You book a time for those so I guess you’d have to allow longer for the test queuing bit.
For anyone that’s queued for the test at the airport how long were you queuing for?
It would be better to do the PCR 24 hours or 48 hours before departure instead of 72 hours than having this arrival test wouldn’t it? At least then if it’s positive you don’t fly at all and stay at home not have to quarantine when you get there?
snow conditions
So here's a question I was pondering (and so I know where to avoid wink ) for those heading to Whistler...
When you get to YVR and do your test, and get told to go into quarantine, how do you get to Whistler, what do you do in Whistler for food?
latest report
Quote:
I can't see Canada staying open for much longer..especially from the unclean of the UK

PM me if/when you make it and clear quarantine and want to meet up for a ski - you lot will be the safest people on the mountain to be around once you're out of quarantine with the amount of testing you have to go through! Laughing wink
snow conditions
@stuarth, if I am in Whistler from the 20 January, I’d gladly ski with you!
latest report
stuarth wrote:
So here's a question I was pondering (and so I know where to avoid wink ) for those heading to Whistler...
When you get to YVR and do your test, and get told to go into quarantine, how do you get to Whistler, what do you do in Whistler for food?

Speaking personally, we have a private transfer booked that will take us directly to the PPWM. They have room service from the Duhb Linn, and you can get groceries delivered easily enough (for a price). Given that it should be a short period only that should be manageable (and affordable)
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:

Speaking personally, we have a private transfer booked that will take us directly to the PPWM. They have room service from the Duhb Linn, and you can get groceries delivered easily enough (for a price). Given that it should be a short period only that should be manageable (and affordable)

My attendance is Whistler is variable, but if it helps and any of you need something collecting/delivering while in Quarantine, let me know and if I'm around I might be able to help out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks! If we actually get out there i could well drop you a line......
snow conditions
Good luck, hope you make it. Doesn't look hopeful for me.
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
But that's not an arrivals test? Not hooked into your arrivals record or Canada Public Health

This was in reply to my post:

"So, possibly even easier, following this link https://www.yyc.com/travellerinfo/flyhealthyyyc/covid-19testingatyyc.aspx I can book PCR tests whilst waiting for connecting flight - got to payment page with UK mobile and address. Might be a winner..... 12-24 hour turnaround 2 people PCR 315 CADs inc taxes Very Happy"

That is a PCR - what is the difference between an arrivals' PCR and a departures' PCR?? The requirement is to produce a negative PCR within 72 hours of arrival - if I land from Europe in to Calgary transferring later that day to Kelowna, I can book a PCR test at Calgary (domestic terminal) then get my connection and presumably get my results more quickly than taking a packet I am given to an hotel - even if I get selected for an on airport test I can still go ahead with my booked test and use whichever comes back quicker to break out of isolation. If not, what am I missing Puzzled
snow report
@Saintsman, apologies, I forgot to address you in my post above; please be assured I am not looking for an argument, I just want to better understand if I have things bottom about boob!
snow report
Right. In terms of testing to enter Canada you need to complete 2 Tests.

1 - Pre-departure. You pay for this yourself, taken no more than 72 hours before departure
2 - Arrivals. This is paid and administered by Public Health Canada and is linked to yiur immigration record. If you don't take their test, you're liable for fines and potentially worse. If you leave isolation before their test comes back negative you're liable for fines etc. You can book and pay for whatever you want, but the government test is the only one that counts
ski holidays
@Saintsman, Thank you for your reply and indulgence. Why then do airports offer private testing?
ski holidays
For those who want to travel twice to the airport pre-departure?
latest report
Sorry if i have missed this (in this thread or my reading of Can rules) but if you have a connecting flight do you have to book your arrival test and have your quarantine plan looked at at the first place you land or can it be at your final destination? I think my son has about 2 hours in Vancouver before flying on to Kelowna. It would certainly pass the time at Vancouver to sort the test but I assume it will be busy, making a specific time slot might be a challenge and there are plenty of appointments at Kelowna so Kelowna would seem a smoother option!
snow report
In Canada, a lot of testing is offered at Airports for meeting pre-departure for other countries; there are plenty of places in Canada where it isn't so easy to get hold of any sort of test at a halfway reasonable price (I had a look at the cost of getting a lateral flow test for travel in Whistler - it makes UK pricing look extremely reasonable). Also bear in mind that the mass/100% testing of arrivals is a new phenomenon - so there's lots of stuff set up that's now completely redundant.
ski holidays
@toyah807, I’ve seen a few conflicting messages. We have a 2 hour stop in Vancouver before heading onto Calgary.

I’ve read on the Canada Gov site you test where you land, but can get a connecting flight whilst waiting for the results. However, Crystal Ski seem to think we will test at Calgary.
ski holidays
@toyah807, my reading is you can test at final destination
snow report
@dalehernando, @Snowsartre, thanks both
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy