Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Also in late season I can imagine the bit near the bottom at KH where the gondola starts gets a bit soft/icy/naff but others who know better might be able to tell you more. Up high it should be good though
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Note KH closes on 16th April which is earlier than Sunshine and Lake Louise
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly we’ll be back home by the 16th April!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TommyJ, that should be fine then, go and enjoy it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TommyJ, imo an intermediate is not going to get the best out of kicking horse. However, there is definitely enough intermediate terrain for a fun day out. So why not go for a day, at worst you have some new views and long runs (vast majority of the time you will be skiing all the way to the Gondola so 1200m very).
Wiley coyote is the best blue groomed run. Kicking horse is great also, but rarely groomed so check the report. Show off (groomer under the Gondola) is classed as blue, but quite steep, best done earlier in the day as can get icy as it gets skied out (although maybe so late in the season less of an issue). There are some easier routes from top of stairway chair into Feuz bowl, which I would try and do at least once. At worst you ski down the ridge and don't like the look of any routes and can drop back towards the bottom of stairway chair. If you fancy a hike T2 has some pretty mellow skiing.

Edit: also boo the grizzly bear might be out of hibernation by then, the Gondola goes over his inclosure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much for the tips. Family won’t ski as much as I do - so may go over there on one of their off days

I’m not worried about Boo being out of hibernation. It’s being out of his enclosure that worries me. Reckon I would ski a double black if persuaded by a hungry grizzly
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TommyJ, the bus from Banff gets there about 9.30am so by the time the bus driver goes in to get the lift passes and then you actually get going it will be more like 9.45am, bus leaves at 4pm so I think there would be plenty to keep you occupied until then.

The Feuz bowl easiest bit to get in is off the traverse path (clearly visible when going up the Stairway to Heaven chair) but that’s as steep as it gets from that direction. Don’t bother going up the staircase at the top of the Staircase chair, that will be too much for you from what you’ve said, that will be a steep drop in (plus it was really really rocky last week due to lack of snow cover). Go down the traverse path and look over the left side, once you are in there then it doesn’t get any steeper on the way down, quite a long descent to the bottom.
Like @boarder2020 said, if you don’t like the look of it you can go right off the traverse and you’d be back at the Stairway chair soon enough.
I had a great time there in 2020, it was just ok last week because the snow cover was poor compared to usual. Still got some brief fresh tracks on though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@VolklAttivaS5, are you safely back home now? We leave 21 Feb. I bought some Arterix Mits to go over my Hestras Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lynnecha, yes thanks I came back on 26th.
I’ve got some Hestras but not the leather ones, mine are synthetic so can be washed. I wore some inner gloves inside the inner mittens inside the Hestras. That seemed to work well and it wasn’t even that cold when I was there!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynnecha wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, are you safely back home now? We leave 21 Feb. I bought some Arterix Mits to go over my Hestras Eh oh!
we got caught up in the recent polar vortex whilst there last 2 weeks, the car satnav hit -35, I bought some of those hand warmers with us and needed to use them everyday. We also bought toe warmers for the coldest days! Although not environmentally great being single use, they really helped keep the fingers attached!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PisteQueen, oh yes that’s right the temperature dropped considerably the day after I got back! It was cold enough for me when I was there (-6 to -15 C) so if I go to Banff again I will go in March like the first time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My thumb got frost nip a few years ago and I really suffer. I just came back from three weeks in Tignes any my leather Hestra mitts with liners just didn’t do it. It was about minus 20 at the worst. I’m not looking forward to it being any colder… Eh oh!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@lynnecha, I found I could feel it in my thumbs even with the extra liners.
Have you tried Hot Rox? They are a bit heavy to put in a mitten really but I’ve managed it with it on the fist side temporarily. They bang out quite a lot of heat. Most of the time I have one in each chest pocket of my mid layer puffy switched on high. The toasty torso helps with the thumbs and I sneak my thumbs into the palm bit of my mitts when on the lifts sometimes Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's the link for Highway 1 closures. Note that these affect mainly from BAnff/LAke Louise to Golden. When the road is closed the traffic bumps onto Highway 93, and that can make that tricky if conditions are bad. Highway 93 can be great, but it is also remote. So its worth packing emergency gear to get you through a night
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@PisteQueen, oh yes that’s right the temperature dropped considerably the day after I got back! It was cold enough for me when I was there (-6 to -15 C) so if I go to Banff again I will go in March like the first time.
we said exactly the same, we would avoid another trip in January and aim for March!
ski holidays
I see on the Ski Big 3 website (on the early bird special deal) it’s all booked up last couple of weeks of Feb already. Came up with no availability. I don’t think that happened in previous years this early on.

It’s cheaper to go end of Jan early Feb than it is in March but apart from the temps being a bit warmer potentially is there any disadvantages of going in March? It’s not like Europe where you can get soft slushy pistes in March I can’t see that being a thing in LL or Sunshine, anyone got any feedback on mid to late March skiing in Ski Big 3?
The obvious advantage is by then all the rocks are covered and then some so the free ride areas will be much more filled in.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, we’ve only had slush when we’ve sneaked back for a week in Early May.

Been going 3rd week of Feb until mid March since 2005.

Usually combination of hardpack (esp LL) and deep snow (more likely at SS). Never slush or soft snow.
snow report
@lynnecha, cool, I thought it would be very unlikely. First time was 24th Feb departure date and it was colder actually than the other week was but of course it was abnormally mild for the time of year last month (until last week of Jan)

Best thing was there was way more terrain open and no rock scrape noises on or off the piste.

I notice Air Canada fly to Calgary from Heathrow every day next winter I thought it was just Wednesdays and Saturdays.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, people have said March is often the snowiest month.

Try Spring skiing sometime- only middle 3 or 4 hours in the day- but the mountains are stunning in the spring. The smell and the light are divine- lots of sitting outside in the evenings.
snow conditions
@lynnecha, yes I think it is actually because first time around I had a lot of powder days in that holiday (as in fresh snow overnight quite a number of times during the fortnight)
ski holidays
@lynnecha, which day of the week do you usually fly?
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, usually Tuesday. LHR to Calgary.
snow conditions
@lynnecha, I have done Wed both times but since a Mon is available I think I will do that instead!
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, we like coming back home earlier in the week- gives time to get organised somehow
snow report
@lynnecha, I went back to work the next day (got home about 3pm on the Thursday) but that was a bit of hard work actually.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, Most of our trips we've done a mid week leave return weekend, although sometimes arrival Uk has been the Monday. - Week day flights tend to be cheaper, which off set the extra accomodation costs

Usually gone back to work next day too - the whole week isnt usally good, but you get through it eventually Toofy Grin

One year had 3 days before work - was just as bad as didnt really try and get back into any regular sleep pattern Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Have booked next year end of Feb for 3 weeks on the 45% off deal.
Went for Monday this time. Can’t book the flight yet but Jan flight prices are slightly cheaper on the Mon Tues or Thurs than the Wed. Fri Sat Sun is a bit more with it being the weekend.
snow report
Locals refer to ‘Magic March’ - the next mix of and temps and snow cover.
Pre kids we went twice in March. Both times still what I would call ‘winter’. Mountain temps below freezing and plenty of snow.

Since the little one started school we’ve been in April. It’s always been fine. Once it was quite warm and spring like in the valley and a little slushy on the lowest slopes at the end of the day. Other times have been pretty cold, and quite snowy.
Either way I would guess they are a month or so behind the Alps.

This is for Banff - Whistler may be quite different being lower and nearer the coast
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds ideal then, 26th Feb I’m off. Next year, not this one.
Worth booking it now since the rest of Feb was already snaffled.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Sounds great - something to aim for - just the waiting game now then, for the flights Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 5-02-23 2:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Skied several times in Banff, including Jan/Feb. In those days when I was a lot younger and more enthusiastic, and still had salopettes and warm trousers under! More recently we’ve only been at Easter, with my race pants and my usual single fleece under my jacket, and couldn’t understand how I could be so cold when it was -15C!

Does LL still offer private First Tracks lessons at a bargain price (I think it was 110 CDN for 90 mins)? Or was that a late season special offer for mid-March on? I got some excellent lessons then.
ski holidays
TommyJ wrote:

I’m not worried about Boo being out of hibernation. It’s being out of his enclosure that worries me. Reckon I would ski a double black if persuaded by a hungry grizzly

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
TommyJ wrote:

You'd be fine, he's getting on a bit now - its his 21st this year Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Is it worth getting some Can $. Are the mountains contacless ?...... not really looking forward to the Mountain restaurant situation tbh..... First time there but, I do like a good lunch!
latest report
Gaz_H wrote:
Is it worth getting some Can $. Are the mountains contacless ?...... not really looking forward to the Mountain restaurant situation tbh..... First time there but, I do like a good lunch!
We used contactless (Apple Pay) everywhere, didn’t even need a physical card. We found KUMA YAMA at LL base was one of the best mountain lunches we had whilst out there recently.
ski holidays
The thing to note is in the UK contactless is contactless because the amount is the amount. If you tip anyone in the UK you leave coins at the end on the table. No need to press any buttons at all on card machines (unless it’s over £100). Last month when I was in Banff etc if you buy anything in a restaurant or bar the machine asks you first if you want to add a tip or not, and if so how much in $ or % so before you do the ‘contactless’ with card or phone you have no option but to press buttons on the card machine to sort the tip bit out.
Didn’t matter to me but for people expecting pure contactless it might do.
latest report
I say one thing for entering Canada compared to 4 years ago, it's so much better with the entrance form being done on screens near customs rather than the old paper form, it was very quick and I was waiting for my luggage within 5-10 minutes after walking off the aircraft.
ski holidays
Gaz_H wrote:

We didn't use any cash last year, everything with Apple Pay. Will take some cash out this year so our daughter can have her own spending money.

Found 20 dollars left over from a trip to Whistler in 2009 - delighted to see it's still valid Laughing
snow conditions
RichardB wrote:
I say one thing for entering Canada compared to 4 years ago, it's so much better with the entrance form being done on screens near customs rather than the old paper form, it was very quick and I was waiting for my luggage within 5-10 minutes after walking off the aircraft.

Agreed, I was at the bus desk having been through, done it all and having collected luggage within about 40 mins from landing best flight I’d been on in years.
snow report
Bones wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, Sounds great - something to aim for - just the waiting game now then, for the flights Madeye-Smiley

Yeah I thought I’d go for that as it was excellent value for money, only 5% booking deposit with free cancellation up to 2 weeks before. I do enjoy the Ski Big 3 area (even Norquay) and I enjoyed it even without loads of fresh snow last month. Banff is a nice town. Whilst I’m waiting for the flights to come out for late Feb onwards I can have a look at going up to Revelstoke (can use the Rider Express for £55 each way to and from Banff which even with the transfer to Banff to/from Calgary Airport on top is still miles cheaper than car rental for 4 weeks) for a week. Interestingly a 6 day lift pass at Revelstoke on the short notice winter sale rate is £345 approx which is more akin to European lift pass prices so there would be no need to pay a lot of that.

As far as I can tell 3rd week of March in Revelstoke is still very snowy and it’s open until middle of April.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy