Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Spoke to reception at hotel. Their take on it is if you have been vaccinated and pre flight Pcr your fine to use facilities and that they’ve not been contacted to check on quarantining guests.

Has anybody had a call email to check on them whist in hotel quarantine?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eat>sleep>ride>r wrote:
Spoke to reception at hotel. Their take on it is if you have been vaccinated and pre flight Pcr your fine to use facilities and that they’ve not been contacted to check on quarantining guests.

Has anybody had a call email to check on them whist in hotel quarantine?

I know of people getting robocall reminders. The wording is pretty clear that you should isolate - in the case of a hotel room that means stay in the room. Given the numbers involved then they simply can't check any more than a very small %, but if you were to be one of the 2-3% to rest positive and they found out you had left your room I don't think they'll go easy on you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Saintsman, absolutely
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boarder2020 wrote:
What do men and ski resorts all have in common. All of them lie about 8" snowHead I take resorts Facebook with a pinch of salt. They often put their snow measurement spot in a favourable position and make the stats fit their narrative. For example 10cm snow sounds great, but if it falls during the day then it's all getting tracked out anyway. 60cm over a month sounds great, but if it's all 1-2cm days rather than big dumps probably not fantastic skiing.

I'm just saying from my personal experience from other seasons big powder days are a rarity. However, I've seen a lot of tourists head out with unrealistic expectations that they are going to have pretty much unlimited powder days, which is just not the case (unless you get extremely lucky).

Of course Whistler gets way more big dumps due to the coastal weather. You are welcome to argue about snow quality and lift lines snowHead

I think for me the attraction is not so much the amount of snow that falls it’s the frequency of it and the temperature there in the winter. On my first trip to Banff it snowed more or less every day I think, I don’t think there were any 20cm+ snowfalls in one go like you said but even with the 3-10cm say that did fall on a night it was enough to get more fresh tracks in than I normally would do over 2 weeks in the Alps (unless I was lucky). The thing with the Alps is it can sometimes not snow at all for 3-4 weeks and also the temperature can be +10C then -10C which is a big swing of 20 degrees so the snow that does fall doesn’t stay light and cold.

It will be good to see how this forthcoming trip to Banff compares as I’ve only ever skied in Canada once so I’ve nothing to compare it with yet. Hope it’s as enjoyable as the first time snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, I'm sure you wont be disappointed, you're going at a good time of the season, January can be dry for snow and very cold.

SWMBO is on the same lines as yourself, she likes regular snowfalls and doersnt have to be too deep Toofy Grin Where as I would like as much as possible. We've been very lucky over the years, for the past 12 or so had way more than our fair share of fresh snow days. Some deep some not so, but its all good when out in the mountains. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Test results back so Will be out on the hills today Very Happy

My son’s result came back last night at 8:00 28 hours and mine at 05:00am 37 hours.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of course something is better than nothing. You generally get more snow in BC than Europe*, but then again not as much as Japan which is a safer bet for fresh snow. I'm just saying some people have unreasonable expectations, if you are skiing any of the more famous resorts a few days after the last snowfall you can't expect fresh tracks. Similarly you can't expect snow every night or many powder days on a short trip.

*Although Banff resorts are not considered particularly snowy - sunshine averages 612cm per year, lake Louise around 500cm per year. Which doesn't compare too favourably to some of the snowier European resorts. There may be an argument the cold keeps the snow in better condition. In comparison Rodgers pass averages over 900cm and whistler over 1100cm. Even fernie that has a much shorter season than all those other places averages 900cm.

This isn't a knock on BC, there's nowhere I'd rather snowboard. Just a bit of perspective.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bones, yeah for me as long as it’s deep enough to feel the skis rebound then I don’t care, the skis float just under the surface of whatever is there anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Bones, yeah for me as long as it’s deep enough to feel the skis rebound then I don’t care, the skis float just under the surface of whatever is there anyway.

Once you do a season and experience those true bottomless days of hero snow where you can just launch off anything without having to worry it's a little hard to not become a bit of a "snow snob". That's not to say 5cm days can't be very enjoyable. I just wouldn't consider it a true powder day. Some of it depends on what terrain you like to ski, couple of cm on a piste is wonderful, the same couple of cm off piste could just be "dust on crust".
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boarder2020, well I’d like more than a couple of cms!
10cm or 5cm each night will do me, I wouldn’t stay in the room and not go out because there wasn’t ‘enough’ I’d go anyway…
I lived in Austria for 3 months and skied more or less every day, the only time I took time off was if the lifts were closed due to the wind. Rest of the time I’d be out skiing anything that was underfoot and although I did get some great ‘deep powder days’ it was maybe 15 days out of 3 months maybe? It did snow constantly more or less for the first 3 weeks of January though which helped and then it dumped big time again in the early March.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boarder2020, Yep agreed, tbh we'd consider anything under 6 inches just dust on crust - SWMBO gets a bit apprehensive of anything over 18" - her sweet spot really is 12 -18 - me the more the better Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bones, thanks, although I wouldn’t describe it as fun! Will keep an eye out and see what I can achieve.

@boarder2020, I wasn’t complaining about lack of powder, makes me sound unreasonable I suppose. It was more of an observation of my luck as usually get at least one fresh pow day every time I’ve been skiing since about 2009.

I’ve been to Japan a few times and had some great snow and times given the terrain. I do agree about KH though, a lot was closed. Having thought about it further I think the entries to a lot of runs are steep as but after the first few steep pitches they aren’t all that bad.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are in Canada and using EE network via the roam further pass just check your account. A system change might mean you are being billed for data you are using instead of it being free with the pass. They are aware and if you do see a huge charge on your account dont panic. Call them and they should be able to resolve it efficiently. I discovered the issue when my son's bill jumped to £8600......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bones, oh the more the better definitely, I will ski anything and love deep deep snow but I’m not fussy as long as there’s fresh snow of some sorts more or less every day. I’d call that a result because in the Alps like I said it can not snow for 3-4 weeks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, I'm just doing my ArriveCAN (and VeriFLY and pre-registering for testing and providing BA with various details... damn there's a lot of crap to do to fly now!) andv wanted others' opinion on something

I'm booked on the same flight as my sister's partner, but on different booking references. We'll be traveling on the same shuttle to Whistler and sharing the same room there (albeit him in the bedroom and me on the sofa in the lounge)

Should we be adding each other to the VeriFLY on each other's phones, or do we need to declare we're traveling together anywhere or can we treat our bookings / travel as independent?
ski holidays
Is Verifly actually mandatory for BA flights or just a nice to have?
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
Is Verifly actually mandatory for BA flights or just a nice to have?

Optional but they seem to encourage it
snow conditions
I would either ignore or do two independent completions of Verifly. It has absolutely zero input to how Canada will view you
ski holidays
Does anyone know if there is a date when Canada are due to review their travel/testing requirements.Have tried to look on Canada Gov site -but can’t find any reference to it .
Due to travel on 21/2-not sure whether just to book PCR pre departure anyway (no refund for a cancelled test)
snow report
There is supposed to be an update on the 16th to announce what's next and when it will come into force. But I don't see Canada dropping the predeparture PCR requirement for a good while yet - first they need to relax the arrivals testing
ski holidays
Thanks SaintsMan.
Have trawled through this thread -I can’t find it now but someone mentioned it was PCR test within 72 hours of arrival in Canada (pre departure test)
But government website states 72 hours before departure from Uk.
Presume it must be the latter ?
snow report
72 hour predeparture, then they test you on arrival as well for good measure
snow conditions
@Saintsman, any updates on the percentages tested and waiting times? Not that affects whether we'll be chosen but I like to guess Laughing
snow conditions
No change other than Toronto is getting worse if anything
snow report
Right this is it and I'm giving up...

I'll complete the ArriveCan on Monday.
I'm travelling as a "recently recovered" passenger.
I've booked a pre flight PCR for Sunday morning anyway.
I've got a letter from my GP detailing, testing, infection and recovery.
I've got an EU recovery cert
I've got and EU vaccination cert proving I'm boosted.
I've even got a copy of my Sick Cert for work from my GP.

I'm still f**king gonna get tested aren't I ???
latest report
You shouldn't get tested, but I don't know for 100% certain your EU infection/recovery documentation will be accepted. If it's anything like the NHS docs you will be fine
latest report
@Saintsman, Cheers fella...you've been a font of knowledge through all this.
ski holidays
I thought the idea of "recently recovered" exemption is because it's possible you can still test positive due to your recent recovery, so they wouldn't bother testing you as the result would be meaningless?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
I thought the idea of "recently recovered" exemption is because it's possible you can still test positive due to your recent recovery, so they wouldn't bother testing you as the result would be meaningless?

That's right
snow conditions
We are just completing our final day in Whistler (weather not too fab today). I just wanted to say thank you for all the advice on this thread. It's been so helpful - especially all the pre arrival and airport testing stuff.
snow conditions
dazman wrote:
Right this is it and I'm giving up...

I'll complete the ArriveCan on Monday.
I'm travelling as a "recently recovered" passenger.
I've booked a pre flight PCR for Sunday morning anyway.
I've got a letter from my GP detailing, testing, infection and recovery.
I've got an EU recovery cert
I've got and EU vaccination cert proving I'm boosted.
I've even got a copy of my Sick Cert for work from my GP.

I'm still f**king gonna get tested aren't I ???

No. You will not be tested if you complete ArriveCAN as a recovered passenger with a positive PCR <180 days.
You wil be classed as Immunised - “I” and you will totally avoid the testing queue - Vaccinated - “V”
The vaccinated line - testing 100% of arrivals
The Immunised line - straight to exit bypassing all testing.
That was the scenario I encountered at Vancouver late Jan 2022
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
You wil be classed as Immunised - “I” and you will totally avoid the testing queue - Vaccinated - “V”
The vaccinated line - testing 100% of arrivals
The Immunised line - straight to exit bypassing all testing.
That was the scenario I encountered at Vancouver late Jan 2022

Did my ArriveCAN today for flight tomorrow. I've had 3 jabs, never had positive PCR and my 72-hour pre-departure PCR is negative, but system has classed me as "I" (Immunised) and pretty sure I didn't mess up any of the questions.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, hope it goes well for you.
I too was triple vaxxed and assumed the immunised status was because I’d been exposed to covid, not because of the triple vax.
I’d be most interested to hear how you’re “sorted”

The kiosks before manual passport control give you a receipt. You get your bags then you are sorted into either a test route or a direct exit route following an inspection of your receipt. I don’t recall if the kiosk receipt carries V, I or A but the receipt is what they use to sort you.

Anyways, good luck and have a cracking time.
latest report
My wife and I had different Arrivecan letters, but both skipped testing. There are other identifiers in the kiosk receipt that determine whether you skip testing or not.

If you've indicated on Arrivecan that you tested positive, and your docs are accepted at the airport, you will skip testing regardless of your Arrivecan receipt id - the kiosk is the stage that ties your passport, ETA, and Arrivecan together
snow conditions
When or if you finally get here.
I'd recommend taking a screen shot of your 2nd Vax that shows your name, and also a picture of your driving license and have it next in the gallery.
It might well be worth having it on paper as well just in case your phone goes flat at -25
You'll need this for just about everywhere in Alberta and BC.
Cafe's, bars, and the mountain.
At Lake Louise you need to go to Customer Services and provide the proof and they will put a stamp on the back of your hand like a pass out at a disco.

At Kicking Horse, you can't buy a lift pass without going through the motions above.
snow report
hi all i am booked with crystal to go to banff at the end of the month with air canada direct to calgary but when i look on the air canada website all flights to calgary on the date we go a saturday are all indirect has anybody had this problem or is the flight going to be direct?
ski holidays
No idea on that specific.

Generally, you need to be a bit careful with terminology though: direct" doesn't mean "non stop".
A direct flight means you don't need to change planes, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily non-stop, in the general case.
ski holidays
sheepy4 wrote:
hi all i am booked with crystal to go to banff at the end of the month with air canada direct to calgary but when i look on the air canada website all flights to calgary on the date we go a saturday are all indirect has anybody had this problem or is the flight going to be direct?

You will probably have a stop over in Toronto but they’ve just not told you yet!
snow report
sheepy4 wrote:

Where are you flying from? We were due to go direct from Heathrow to Calgary (on a Saturday) and that changed to Heathrow > Vancouver > Calgary

Have you made sure you haven’t missed any emails with an updated reference number?
latest report
What terminal is the BA flight out of Heathrow for Vancouver (used to be T2 pre covid)?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy