Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Afordable heated gloves ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

After a few ski days in Zermatt last week I decided to buy a heated glove.
I don't think there is anything wrong with my non heated glove, I just think I have a circulation problem, among all of my friends there I was the only one with freezing fingers, even in the gondola before getting on the pistes. The average temperature there ranged from -5ºC to -20ºC.

Currently I have this one: https://www.burton.com/nl/en/p/mens-burton-gondy-goretex-leather-glove/W21-103261.html . It is a really warm one, when I'm skiing at the end of the season when it is around 10ºC, my hand keeps sweating, but if it goes below 0ºC, my hands will be freezing, I even bought a basic liner at H&M to use under it and it is not enough, so I guess I need heated ones.

I would love the Hestra heated ones(https://en-nl.hestragloves.com/products/30440-100-power-heater-black) but 400 euros is a bit too much for me Confused
Any tips for something more affordable that can heat enough and last for at least 6h on the mountain ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-06-21 9:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AndreSilva, What’s your layering system (around your body, specifically)?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AL9000 wrote:

Base layer(something like long sleeve for runners in the cold) + midlayer(usually fleece) + ski shell jacket. Sometimes I get a bit cold in the torso, but nothing that bothers me much.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndreSilva, I have the same set up and I run hot; that is, I’m normally hot everywhere (possibly due to my natural insulation Little Angel ).

Maybe try a gilet over the fleece? They’re very thin but very effective insulation.

Do your toes become cold too?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As with above, try extra layer keep your torso warm and that help with extremities like hands and feet. Otherwise your body / circulation prioritises keeping your torso warm (as that's where vital organs are) over your feet and toes which are expendable Smile.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Things that provide heat in cold climates don't last very long, and one gets what one pays for. It is true that a warm torso is key to warm extremities, so to save money you could focus on warming your hands indirectly in that way. And get some spring gloves for those really warm days, I use XC gloves for that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, your gloves look OK. Do you think you may have Raynaud's ?

My wife does and she likes her heated liners https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/gloves/active-glove-liners-black esp as she has different gloves for different activities and they switch between.

P.S. there's a search function at the top of the page ... wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have a circulation problem like Raynauds Syndrome (like my Daughter) - then heated Gloves (or in her case, heated Glove Liners) is the only thing that works in colder weather.

If you just suffer colds hands - mittens with Glove Liners can work. One of the warmest mittens I know, is the Black Diamond Mercury (they can be got on Amazon for about £67).

Liners can be Silk/Primaloft/Merino.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If not, glove liners are a good call.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try kinko 94hk - bomb proof and cheap work gloves. What a lot of lifties use. Not waterproof but fine for snow use loaded up with wax.

They are the warmest gloves I’ve ever used, made for working in snow all day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cold blood = cold fingers.

Coverup your main arteries.

Big heat is lost from the widest bloodvessels nearest the surface of the skin.

Neck.
Head.
Lower back.
Thighs.
Wrists.

Two (or more) layers on each.

Wrist and neck gaiters make a big difference.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AndreSilva, As a fellow cold hand sufferer, I’ve tried multiple heated glove brands, and the best I’ve tried are Outdoor Research Lucent gloves, they aren’t cheap, but they aren’t as expensive as some others, and can often be found at a discount. They can be had as gloves or mittens, and should last for your required 6 hours.

The trick for long battery life with heated gloves, is to use a heat setting where the gloves don’t feel hot, your hands/fingers just don’t feel cold.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndreSilva wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

Base layer(something like long sleeve for runners in the cold) + midlayer(usually fleece) + ski shell jacket. Sometimes I get a bit cold in the torso, but nothing that bothers me much.

If it's significantly below zero, I'd have a gilet as well - adds a lot of warmth without too much bulk. I also swap my thermal legs for fleece, and then if I'm still getting cold fingers, mittens. I often find the tips of my fingers get cold to start with, but then warm up once I've been active for 15 minutes or so.

If you don't like full mittens, lobster claw gloves are a good compromise. And I suspect that heated mittens might be less prone to failure than heated gloves (simpler pattern for the elements) though I don't have any evidence for that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get a pair of mitts.

I use Hestra Army mitts and never get cold fingers but sometimes did with gloves on cold.days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a cold hands sufferer too, and discovered that it seemed mostly to occur after lunch/food stops.
The implication being that the blood flow was diverted to digestive purposes rather than extremities. One of the easiest ways to make a large improvement in warmth of any glove is to add a goretex overmitt
. This is often better than wearing liners which sometimes make gloves tighter, reducing insulation and warmth rather than improving it.
snow report
We went with therm-ic heated mittens and found them very good.
snow conditions
Mention of Raynauds reminds me of something I read about for sailing a few years ago (developed by a board sailor iirc). It involved blowing into a tube somehow led down to the hands.
I can’t quite quite get my head round the practical details offhand, but rather than simply blowing warm (and moist) air into your gloves it used breath as means to circulate air (or even water) warmed by the body to your extremities.
Sounds a bit wacky (and almost Heath-Robinson), but users reported it transformed their life on the water.
Don’t know whether the idea could (or has been) adapted for use with ordinary dry winter clothing and gloves, but, if mere insulation is not working, it conceivably could be a heating system that doesn’t involve batteries.....
snow conditions
Here’s a thread on heated gloves from a couple months ago, with some recs for gloves. Not sure what you’re aiming for as far as “affordable” goes. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153471

The brand name ones I had been looking at are USD400+ Shocked

After much research and hemming/hawing, pulled trigger on some from AliExpress. Mount Tec. USD135, including shipping(free). We’ll see how they work soon. Specs are pretty much the same as the ones that cost 3x more, and they probably all come from China regardless.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000065166255.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 13-12-20 1:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My wife suffers from cold hands because she gets very hot, the inner gloves get damp with sweat & then very cold. A reasonably priced electric glove with heat right up the fingers would be good, what’s recommended?
snow report
Make your own

https://www.instructables.com/Heated-Glove-Liners/
ohh theres a version 2
https://www.instructables.com/Heated-Glove-Liners-Ver-2/

I thought i had a good idea about heated pole grips, but it seems its been done

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 13-12-20 9:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, Make your own? Yeah right Kermit.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, Laughing
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Make your own

https://www.instructables.com/Heated-Glove-Liners/

I thought i had a good idea about heated pole grips, but it seems its been done

Just don’t wear them going through TSA at the airport, would be my suggestion.... Laughing
snow report
@Gordyjh, blaze wear liners.

Many of the heated gloves only heat the palm, which is more or less useless.
ski holidays
@Tom_Ski, “It is very faster” love the retro website. And Google translate gold.
ski holidays
@under a new name, thanks
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Gordyjh, blaze wear liners.

I got these for my Daughter as a result of your recommendation - and they worked nicely.
ski holidays
Lose weight, eat plenty of garlic and kimchi, take 75mg of Aspirin at bedtime.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied in -25 with pretty regular gloves and had no issues. Day after was still -25 but I decided because I'd been warm the day before I could remove one layer from my body. Body stayed pleasant, but hands were very cold. Made me realise how fine a line it is between body getting just a little cold (not enough for me to really feel cold even) and diverting blood away from extremities. So I would second the suggestions of trying extra layers first.
ski holidays
Has anyone tried the inflatable vests? Like the ones UK brand Exotogg make? I've seen them on motorcycling forum, wondered if they'd work for skiing/boarding.
snow conditions
AL9000 wrote:

Usually yes, but not as much as my hand fingers.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Do you think you may have Raynaud's ?

Not that I'm aware of Shocked
latest report
I guess I'll give it a try to add more layers.
Usually I feel my legs a bit cold, so I'll get a base layer for legs too and add a warmer fleece as base layer for torso and see if it helps Madeye-Smiley
snow report
AndreSilva wrote:
I guess I'll give it a try to add more layers.
Usually I feel my legs a bit cold, so I'll get a base layer for legs too and add a warmer fleece as base layer for torso and see if it helps Madeye-Smiley

Definitely worth considering as generally we use and buy more top of body layers.

I was sitting on a chairlift in heavy snow with my legs steaming after a long run down that made me realise just how much heat was going out that way as they were melting the falling snow.

Since then with using merino wool leggings I've normally a much better balance of overall heat retention and use lighter upper body layering to get a decent balance. Blood flow and hand heat is certainly more balanced now.

Works well on motorcycles in winter too Very Happy

I don't ordinarily have any problems with body heat in general, but when it's stripped out of me really fast then my hands are the primary indicator that balance isn't sufficient to keep comfortable.
snow conditions
I had lots of issues with cold fingers, I tried gloves from £50-£150. In the end, I bought two heated gloves. one Blazewear liner and one Alpenheat mitten.

Folks who don't suffer this will never understand and recommended black diamond, mittens, dress warm, buy X brand etc etc etc

I won't bother with the heated liner, the heated filaments are too close to the finger and you feel the wires. If you are stopped for cash, buy the £130 glove called Saviour from amazon/ebay (sometimes for £80 if you can wait 6-8wks to be shipped form HK). Buy extra batteries for £35 . If it lasts 2 seasons, you have done OK. You could buy one for £300 and it breaks post warranty.

You missed the boat, amazon warehouse occasionally discounted off season heated gloves, I got my alpine heat for £60.

Mittens over gloves... you will get used to it. Heated mittens are not thick and therefore usable

advantages of heated
- normally thinner than normal expensive gloves and therefore perfect for warmer temps while you turn up the heat for sub-zeros
- instant warmth
- you can leave on LOW at the start and turn to MID heat once temp drops to save batteries

disadvantages
- price
- need space batteries (extra cost) -you REALLY need spares. else will last half a day
- panic in th morning when you realised you forgot to charge them... no quick charge
- if you turn them on after you are already in pain from cold, its too late, not as warm as an open fire.
- the led light make you look like a space hands
snow conditions
AndreSilva wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

Usually yes, but not as much as my hand fingers.

Then your best bet is a thin, packable gilet to wear over your fleece midlayer; think of it as a duvet for your torso. Loads available and inexpensive, just make sure they’re long enough.

Another thing that works really well for me is a snood. It noticeably reduces the heat escaping through the top of the fleece and covers your neck area as well.
ski holidays
On the question of gloves. I was looking for a suitable option for a long time and settled on the WindRider Rugged Waterproof Ski Gloves. I was satisfied with the quality, they are 100% worth the money. I found my gloves here https://gym-expert.com/best-ski-gloves/. There are different options, detailed reviews, you can at least compare. There is somehow more trust here than in company stores where they praise themselves.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Cold blood = cold fingers.

Coverup your main arteries.

Big heat is lost from the widest bloodvessels nearest the surface of the skin.

Neck.
Head.
Lower back.
Thighs.
Wrists.

Two (or more) layers on each.

Wrist and neck gaiters make a big difference.

You have woman hands my Lord, I trust those hands.......
ski holidays
Reviving this topic snowHead
This last weekend I had my first ski since December... damn you covid!
I went indoors, the temperature was -3C and I was wearing those thermic base layers from Columbia(like this one) for my torso and legs.
For the torso I had the base layer + midlayer + gillet + shell and after 1 hour my hands were freezing, so I guess I really have a circulation problem.
I'm 36 years old, until 2 years ago it wasn't like this, it started recently, maybe I'm just getting old Laughing

So I will try to find some nice discounts on heated gloves this summer, let me know if you guys have some tips, apparently the Hestra heated gloves were discontinued.
snow report
@AndreSilva, you sound too young to have a real problem, but is does happen.

My OH has had Reynaud's for years. She find Blazewear heated liners very satisfactory. Liners better than gloves as more flexible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy