Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Young boy killed at Tamworth Snow Dome

Poster: A snowHead
Very sad news this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-58686660
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh how awful! My thoughts are with his family and those that were there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very very sad. I was there on Monday. Unimaginable. Thaughts with the family.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How awful. Terrible for the family, but also for anyone who witnessed or was involved in other ways.
I see Snowdome have announced they are remaining closed this weekend.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That’s terrible Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was shocked when I saw this mentioned on FB this morning.
Dreadful!
My heart goes out to those involved Sad Sad
They may well be on this forum too.
So sorry to hear this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tubaski, there are two threads going on this. Perhaps you can merge them?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My heartfelt condolences to the family and to the Tamworth staff. Very very sad.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Absolutely terrible. So sorry to read this. We go there every month and really enjoy it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
@Tubaski, there are two threads going on this. Perhaps you can merge them?

Sorry, we don't have a button to merge threads (as far as I know...)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tubaski, oh, OK, duplicate threads have been dealt with in the past, but I don't know the technical details. Sorry.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Awful Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So tragic.
My thoughts with all those involved or affected.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to reports the boy was on a sledge and collided with a man who was skiing. How is this possible? Surely other activities are segregated from skiers and snowboarders. The only indoor slope I have been on (though not for quite a few years) is Castleford and tubing was barriered off there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris_n wrote:
According to reports the boy was on a sledge and collided with a man who was skiing. How is this possible? Surely other activities are segregated from skiers and snowboarders. The only indoor slope I have been on (though not for quite a few years) is Castleford and tubing was barriered off there.

Suspect one of them was in the wrong place hence police appeals not to speculate or share photos etc while they investigated. Sorry just speculated.
latest report
Chris_n wrote:

I'd be surprised if that's what happened as there are separate sessions for tobogganning and ski/snowboard. All reports attribute that claim to 'social media', no source cited.
snow conditions
How ever it happened it an absolute tragedy...
My prayers go out to all those involved and to the young lads family in particular.
ski holidays
SnowDome issued with prohibition order banning use of ski slope after schoolboy tragedy

The Health and Safety Executive has served a Prohibition Notice on Tamworth SnowDome after the tragic death of a schoolboy. The notice prevents the use of parts of the venue - understood to include the ski slope - until HSE is "satisfied that systems in place to manage the risk of collision are suitable to address any ongoing risk to the safety of visitors and employees".

The move follows the tragic death of Louis Watkiss, aged 12, from Sutton Coldfield on Friday.
snow conditions
If that is what happened then it seems like absolute incompetence on behalf of the management.

Thoughts are with the young boys family and also spare a though for the man involved who is presumably devastated by this.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
SnowDome issued with prohibition order banning use of ski slope after schoolboy tragedy

The Health and Safety Executive has served a Prohibition Notice on Tamworth SnowDome after the tragic death of a schoolboy. The notice prevents the use of parts of the venue - understood to include the ski slope - until HSE is "satisfied that systems in place to manage the risk of collision are suitable to address any ongoing risk to the safety of visitors and employees".

The move follows the tragic death of Louis Watkiss, aged 12, from Sutton Coldfield on Friday.

Hmm ...wider implications possibly then. Impossible for any ski slope to eliminate risk of collision. Impossible to regulate to such an extent that no-one can get out of control. Even at Hemel which I am most familiar with there isn't a physical barrier sufficient to stop someone with intent from the nursery slope getting onto the main slope etc
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Even at Hemel which I am most familiar with there isn't a physical barrier sufficient to stop someone with intent from the nursery slope getting onto the main slope etc

Not sure what you mean? To get from trainer to main slope you'd have to ski over a travelator, through a net down a 50cm drop and across the Poma track. There's a narrow bit at the top wide enough for a person on foot (slope patrol) to cross to the top of the trainer slope, but it usually has a rubber mat on it and you still have to get over the travelator which is uphill from both slopes at that point. The only place to cross between slopes on skis is at the bottom of the lift and that involves walking around nets too. Quite a lot of intent needed...
That said I imagine all the slopes and their insurers will be looking carefully at this. Presumably dry slopes too.
ski holidays
Tubaski wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Even at Hemel which I am most familiar with there isn't a physical barrier sufficient to stop someone with intent from the nursery slope getting onto the main slope etc

Not sure what you mean? To get from trainer to main slope you'd have to ski over a travelator, through a net down a 50cm drop and across the Poma track. There's a narrow bit at the top wide enough for a person on foot (slope patrol) to cross to the top of the trainer slope, but it usually has a rubber mat on it and you still have to get over the travelator which is uphill from both slopes at that point. The only place to cross between slopes on skis is at the bottom of the lift and that involves walking around nets too. Quite a lot of intent needed...
That said I imagine all the slopes and their insurers will be looking carefully at this. Presumably dry slopes too.

Ah was forgetting the net, was thinking there was a possible crossover at top of travelator.
ski holidays
Why stop at after school activities?

If there's such serious concern about collision risks, shouldn't the ban extend to all users until the safety concern is remedied?
ski holidays
@abc, where did you get the after school bit from? Don't see that anywhere.
latest report
I'm guessing this poor chap suffered a head or neck injury? Sounds very, very unlucky.
snow conditions
@Dravot, I must have misread (or it got edited away, either way, it's irrelevant then).
latest report
The parents were interviewed on BBC news 24 about 50 mins ago (about 8.20 - 8.30am on the i player). They are pushing for the law to change to make helmets compulsory for kids at UK snow attractions when on the slope, Tamworth now require this.

Sounds like a collision at the top bend whilst sledging causing a serious head injury.

Heartbreaking all round really.
snow report
Really is heartbreaking as I've taken my own son to Tamworth many times.

Would be interesting to know if they had started using the slope for both tubbing and ski lessons at the same time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whilst I get that on the mountain is a different story and choice should be respected. I think helmets should be required at a snowdome, as the run is a restricted space and not a wide blue run.
ski holidays
JohnF wrote:
Sounds like a collision at the top bend whilst sledging causing a serious head injury.

Heartbreaking all round really.

Tragic event.

But there still seems a strange and significant lack of clarity in the public domain as to what happened so its hard to say what steps should/could be taken until there is more.

We (adults and kids) do wear helmets whenever on the snow but there can be environments where the risk is lower as to make them less important.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy