Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Les Arc 1950 to La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Hi , we are going to Les Arc this Christmas ( hopefully) but would like to buy our Paradiski ski pass in La Plagne. The reason is that we have two kids with a disability and if we buy the ski passes in La Plagne we will get 50% discount for all 4 of us but in Les Arcs they wouldn’t qualify for a discount…
So l am thinking- what is the best way to get to La Plagne to buy our ski passes, given that we arrive in the resort on a Sunday afternoon/early evening, will probably with a shared bus transfer. Are there any public transportation options? Or is it easier to buy one day ski pass for Les Arc on the first day and ski over to La Plagne to buy the ski pass for other days? Would appreciate advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there an online option for ordering the passes in advance and getting them sent to your home in England before you leave? We have done that with passes for Portes du Soleil. Guess you would need to check whether there is a requirement for the first access to the lift system being in La Plagne as opposed to the Les Arcs side
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@karin, no they said there only way to get a discount is in the ski pass office..can they really have this first access requirement in La Plagne?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not too easy getting from 1950 to La P other than skiing.
I would email Les Arcs ticket office and explain the situation, they are usually very helpful. They've helped us with various lost season passes etc(bought in La Plagne)
There is an automatic ticket machine in Aime for picking up tickets, it just a couple of mins off the road to Bourg and you'll pass so that could be an option stopping off if you are in a shared/private transfer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alasdair.graham, thank you. Les Arcs ticket office were actually most unhelpful by email , saying they won’t recognise our disability documentation even if La Plang said they would ( and so did some other resorts before) . Apparently disability discounts criteria are determined by each resort separately … automated tickets machine not an option unfortunately because they need to see our actual disability documents before selling us the discounted passes.. as the discount is 50% for two kids and two parents/carers , it is quite substantial hence worth some hassle…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bella2015, Sorry to hear that although I know the two sides have different rules for other things as well. How frustrating.
Do you all have to be over the La Plagne side to when picking up do you know? Cheapest and easiest option would be to taxi first morning to Montchavin, it's the closest point to 1950, a 40 min drive with clear road.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alasdair.graham, thank you. Would you know how much would a taxi cost, approximately? Not sure if all of us have to be present at the ticket office , will have to ask the ski pass company
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alternatively if we don’t need to all to be at the ticket office maybe one of us could ski over to La Plagne to buy the passes… wonder if this would be quicker than taxi
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bella2015, how are you getting there? It's not that much hassle to drive up to one of the lower satellite stations such as Montchavin to buy a pass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, we are flying plus transfer so won’t have a car… but maybe worth considering renting a car.. although we have never rented a car in GVA or driven to resort so a new territory for us
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could try searching for a private transfer via findtransfers.com
and then contacting a few of the better quotes to see how much they would add to divert via Montchavin on the outward leg. Only works if you can get to Montchavin while the lift office is still open though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bella2015 wrote:
@karin, no they said there only way to get a discount is in the ski pass office..can they really have this first access requirement in La Plagne?

I don‘t know whether this applies for LA/LP but the first access requirement definitely is a „thing“ at some linked areas so it would be good to check with the lift pass office before you buy passes in LP when the lifts aren‘t running - otherwise one of you will need to go back to the LP side the following day to activate them all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swoafs, thank you. Will do that! Although private transfers do seem to cost so much more that might not be such a saving after all
@Gämsbock, thank you. Will definitely check. Never knew about that!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, it‘s generally where one resort offers a better deal than another - e.g. the Zermatt/Cervinia pass is cheaper from the Cervinia side. To stop people staying in Zermatt buying it at Cervinia prices it‘s restricted so that the first use of a Cervina pass has to be Cervinia side. Like I say I have no idea whether it applies to the Paradiski passes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gämsbock, ah l see. In fact the price of the pass is identical when l checked. The complications is only with different rules for disability discounts which don’t apply to most of course… l will check with the lift office
snow conditions
I'd guess €90-110 for a taxi approx and if you don't all need to be there then check if the passes 1st use needs to be on La Plagne side, you'd all need to go in that case. Also check if you need to go somewhere specific for the passes or to any pass office- Plagne Centre is the main ticket office.

Skiing from 1950 only requires two lifts to get to Les Coches or Montchavin, and 4 to get back so would mean the rest of group would have a late morning start first day most likely if someone were to ski.
latest report
@alasdair.graham, thank you. Very helpful. Will check everything. Was thinking of maybe buying a Les Arc one day pass at full price for all of for Day 1 and then one or all of us ski over there to get the pass for the rest of the days.. although if we all ski over than with one snowploughing younger child might take a whole day l guess
latest report
@Bella2015, is there any possibility of moving your holiday destination to La Plagne to resolve the problem effectively?

As already mentioned, some of the first use controls are strictly defined in some cases and may catch you out if you have to ski over there and then initiate them without the holders to use them in that location (thinking if one skier went to buy and collect on their own) or were you considering going across to LP skiing as a group to get the passes.
snow report
@ski3, thank you. Nope, have accommodation booked in Les Arc 1950 already which is non refundable unless we can’t go due to travel restrictions etc/covid…

I will definitely check re first use control with the lift company and if it does apply taking a taxi as a group and then skiing back may be our only option
ski holidays
Unsure how familiar you are with area topography.

IF the first use requirements are firm, then you can get up to the Transarc station at top of 2000 bowl on a chair, then ride that lift over to 1800, get off at the intermediate station half way down to 1800 village where there's a reasonable and mild ski direct to the lift across to LP which would make sense for your slowest skier without much in the way of difficulty.

Alternatively, bus to 1600, funicular down to Bourg, taxi to LA Plagne could contain costs that route. Unsure if you need ski pass to use bus and funicular or can pay one way funicular down if need be.
ski holidays
@Bella2015, What are the dates you are there, I arrive on the 27th in the evening, if our dates coincide (which they probably don't owing to you saying you are there for Christmas), I'm happy to drive you.
snow report
@wills_h, thank you for you super generous offer. We arrive on 19th so doesn’t coincide
snow conditions
Sorry I can't help Sad
ski holidays
@wills_h, thank you so much for offering anyway
snow conditions
@ski3, thank you for detailed information. I am not all that familiar as have not yet been to Les Arcs but have skied in La Plagne twice but it was some time ago… will check what the lift company says re first use and consider our options
latest report
Don't underestimate the first-entry-rule! It may very well be the case, that the first lift must be taken within the lift system which issued the ski pass - each and every day! This is very common practice and I would highly suspect that Paradiski works this way as well. The fact they have different pricings clearly shows they are still two different lift companies.

Other than moving your accommodation, I would suggest the following: Sending an e-mail to Les Arcs lift pass office mentioning the La Plagne offer and ask, if they provide the same.

Yours is a very special case and I could see them matching this, even if it's not in print on their page.

If they say no, you can still further your investigation into the inner workings of their ticketing.
snow report
@Bella2015,
Try asking on a relevant group page for the resorts on Facebook - eg 'Les Arcs Seasonaires' or 'La Plagne Seasonaires 21/22'

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 2-12-21 12:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
Unsure how familiar you are with area topography.

IF the first use requirements are firm, then you can get up to the Transarc station at top of 2000 bowl on a chair, then ride that lift over to 1800, get off at the intermediate station half way down to 1800 village where there's a reasonable and mild ski direct to the lift across to LP which would make sense for your slowest skier without much in the way of difficulty.

Alternatively, bus to 1600, funicular down to Bourg, taxi to LA Plagne could contain costs that route. Unsure if you need ski pass to use bus and funicular or can pay one way funicular down if need be.

You can easily get the bus without a ski pass but the Fun you'd need to have one or to pay for the trip
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it's first-use in La Plagne only, just go to chairlift and beep all the passes through.
latest report
Waiting for the lift pass office to respond regarding the first use
snow report
We used to buy our season passes in La Plagne but started most days from Bourg so I don't think it's a daily requirement to start on the side you buy the pass from- worth asking tho for sure!
ski holidays
So l have received an update from the pass office. There is no first use requirement and we all don’t need to be at the ticket office . Just one of us can bring the documents and by the passes
ski holidays
That's good news for you then. And so just a single day ticket and trip across there for one to scoot back with required passes. Seems to be well worth the effort for your family.

If I were there (1950) I'd certainly ask locally with your paperwork before going over to LP as they've always been pretty helpful to me when buying family tickets (Les Arcs generally) to give me the best collective price for age ranges etc. Appreciate your circumstances are different, but they may view it differently locally to the formal contact you've had remotely.

Great place to ski the Arcs area and one of my favourites, hopefully you'll have a good trip too as it looks like being a very good snow start to the season .
snow conditions
Just make sure your 1-day pass covers both sides! You don't want to get to Vanoise Express and be turned back
snow conditions
@ski3, @Boris, thank you! Will try again with Les Arcs office but not hopeful as l have sent him all the documents and they still said no…unless we have a very specific letter from GP (which our GP wouldn’t issue, unfortunately)
Yes, looks like one of us will ski across early on Day 1… l wonder what is the quickest route for an good intermediate skier and how quickly can one get there and back?
snow report
@Bella2015, where do you have to go to? From Arc1950 to Vanoise Express is easy. One lift out up to ridge (Bois d’alors??) then a long traverse to Peisey and across. If it’s any ticket office you can ski down to one on other side. If had to be in main Plagne villages bit more of a treck.

A reasonable intermediate on their own could be their and back in a couple of hours.
snow report
@Bella2015, from 1950 you go down the valley to Comborciere lift that will take you straight up over the ridge to 1600/1800 area which I think you can traverse in one go to get to the LP crossover (it's signposted clearly anyway) you basically take any choice of directions to your left to stay high along the ski area travelling top left Comborciere entry point, to bottom right. It's an easy route.

If you get out of kilter in direction, head for 1800 village as many routes go there, get onto the "Trans arc" gondola (easy to spot with neat silver cabins) which is super easy to find in 1800 village centre, then get off at the FIRST station which will lift you enough to get direct route to the crossing, again signposted.

Sounds more involved than reality, once you get to top of Comborciere you'll see how it lays in front of you.

Coming back, again head up one of the chair in front of you when arriving back across from LP, then go again to 1800 to get on the Trans arc, this time stay on it to the top, which is right in the top middle of Arc 2000 bowl, gentle cruise back down to 1950 from there.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@Bella2015, where do you have to go to? From Arc1950 to Vanoise Express is easy. One lift out up to ridge (Bois d’alors??) then a long traverse to Peisey and across. If it’s any ticket office you can ski down to one on other side. If had to be in main Plagne villages bit more of a treck.

A reasonable intermediate on their own could be their and back in a couple of hours.

Oops, forgot about that one "Bois De L'Ours" and right across the piste from 1950 and makes it shorter/more direct. Very Happy
snow report
@Bella2015, Up Bois de L'Ours chair, head towards top of Carreley chair (not far away) then round to the right just before you reach it. Bends back left then continue left past top of Vagere chair and on to Transarc mid-station. Down a short stretch before taking a left (you'll have to go on to 1800 and back up if you miss this). Across another piste then Plan Bois through the woods. Past Derby chair, keep following the path and you'll eventually reach the Vanoise Express. Just the one initial lift then it takes me about 20 minutes. After Vanoise Express, suggest down to Montchavin rather than Les Coches to get back a little more quickly.

Coming back is a little more convoluted. I take Peisey, then down to Derby. Up Derby then keep bearing right and take path (Traversee 3) down to Transarc (if you miss this go down to Derby again!). Across just under Transarc mid-station to Traversee 2. When this eventually comes out above snow field, down to Carreley. Up that and you're nearly home.
latest report
If, by accident, you do go down to Combourciere You will need another lift to get across to the Vanoise Express. You can, if you know the way, get to Vallandry but not Peissey. Ski down to Carrolay, which tends to have the least queues.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy