Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross border skiing and covid

Poster: A snowHead
So appreciate there's some more scientific water to go under the bridge with Omicron but with Framce, Italy, Switzerland et all having slightly different rules it makes me wonder what will happen at resorts like PDS, Cerviania-Zermatt and La Thuile-La Rossiere?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would be interested in any updates on procedures at the Mont Blanc Tunnel for nipping between Cham and Courmayeur...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the skiers PoV it should be quite simple - if the rules say you can't ski between France/Switzerland the linking chairs won't be running.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same for Montgenevre. Though I'll be travelling through Italy to get there anyway, so guessing I'll have to be compliant for both France and Italy anyway.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes course shutting the link lifts works but that won't wash with people who comply with both country's rules and have paid full (international) lift pass price.

Thinking of the current difference between Italy and France for UK 12-16 year olds - e.g. negative test result from the pharmacy every 48 hours versus 24 hours in france? You'd have to plan ahead in case they're asking for the Pass Sanitaire at the bottom of the linking lift I guess.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@MHskier, Samnaun in CH announced it will be following Austria’s rules (stricter). Given most of the ski area is in Austria (Ischgl) I guess they can’t do much else.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gämsbock wrote:
@MHskier, Samnaun in CH announced it will be following Austria’s rules (stricter). Given most of the ski area is in Austria (Ischgl) I guess they can’t do much else.

Restaurants are open in the Swiss side though Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, oh yeah! They’ll be having a good season. So it’s a hybrid model I guess.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am meant to be going to Cervinia on 12th December with Crystal and they emailed me last night saying if I want to change it I can free of charge because of the ‘up to 2 day PCR’ rule on return to the UK now making it more difficult for some people. That new rule doesn’t affect me really but if I can’t ski into Zermatt freely then I’d sooner not bother and will go somewhere else that week instead.
I’ve emailed the tourist office and lift company in Zermatt to clarify but I suspect they will have the connection closed to stop people skiing from Cervinia to Zermatt and vice versa, even if they are only there for a few hours and go back again. Who knows!

I will report back on here once I’ve got a reply.
It’s put me right off though and I think I might go to France instead where all of the skiing is in France and it is easy for me as 1 adult travelling with no kids or others in the group. Austria is no good as that’s up in the air too whether they reopen things on 13th Dec or extend it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have posted elsewhere that cross border commuters are exempt from Swiss quarantine rules :: "I'm just going the work Officer!"

And note - adjacent countries are also exempt from some of the Swiss covid rules
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is the reply from the Zermatt lift company.

“ Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind request, and we are sorry about all these complications.
As long as Italy is not on Switzerland quarantine list, there are no controls from where someone comes into our ski area.
Our protection concept applies in the ski area.
Here the link about more information regarding safety guidelines.

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Information/Coronavirus-safety-guidelines

Enjoy your ski day in Cervinia and maybe in Zermatt.

Kind regards

Renate Juche
Sachbearbeiterin Informations- & Funkzentrale

ZERMATT BERGBAHNEN AG
+41 27 966 01 01
www.matterhornparadise.ch
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@albob, yeah meanwhile I had this reply from the tourist office and within one of the websites she mentions it states that Aosta for example is classed as a ‘border area’.

Thank you for your kind e-mail.

As what we are facing is a very delicate, changeable and unpredictable situation, we please suggest you to visit the federal office public Health web side , to have always up to date and official information.
Moreover ion this web side (bag.admin.ch)you find phone numbers and e-mails you can contact for any doubts an information.

We thank you for your understanding and hope that you won't cancel your vacation.

Best regards from the Swiss Alps

Zermatt Tourismus
Daniela Capone
Matterhorn - Expertin
Bahnhofplatz 5 | CH - 3920 Zermatt
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Swiss aren't going to incarcerate you, rather than send you home to Italy/Austria/France/Germany/etc. We're talking about tens of thousands of people who might have cold-like symptoms, not mass murderers.

So the worst that happens is they make you get on the link back to the country you came from.

Of course, I am no international lawyer, but really, do you think you're going to end up in prison for taking the wrong slope?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@James the Last, no of course not but as I said in my earlier post (and therefore why I posted the replies I received in case it was helpful to others) if skiing was going to be limited to Cervinia only then I’d change it to something else whilst the free change offer was there with Crystal this week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James the Last wrote:
So the worst that happens is they make you get on the link back to the country you came from.

No, the worst that can happen is they shut the link down so people staying in the Italy side don't get to ski Zermatt
ski holidays
@abc, exactly, so given the opportunity to change it free of charge then I’d have changed it to next season and gone to another big resort elsewhere but where it’s all in the same country, like Paradiski or Espace Killy. I’m not paying for a week away only for half of the skiing to be unavailable.
It sounds like it will be ok though having established the facts so I’m definitely going unless Crystal cancel it for some reason! We will see. I’ve got a back up plan in case they do Very Happy
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, if I were in your shoes, I'd be more concerned about Italy gotten on Switzerland's "red list", which would be the trigger for them to shut the link. (it's very good the Swiss clearly spell out the trigger event)

And unfortunately, that's entirely random (how many Omicron Covid cases surface in Italy). Not something anyone can control
latest report
@abc, true, I think they might cancel it anyway due to lack of numbers depending on how many guests take up the ‘free changes’ offer this week and then I will get a refund. I’ve got a few more days to think about it.
snow report
Ah, I got it. Clever Smile
ski holidays
The Swiss at the moment are not including any border countries on the red list, but I suppose it may change
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy