Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre flight PCR or Antigen!? Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
So with the update allow transit only through Switzerland now making my trip look achievable, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of PCR or Antigen test?

I’m fully vaccinated so will require a PCR (less than 72 hours) or Antigen (less than 48 hours)

From a quick look, it appears the Antigen is a no brainier. It’s about half the price, conducted at home and you get the results in a few hours.

Whereas the PCR is twice the price and there is a delay in getting results

Am I missing something here!? Does anyone have any experience in doing these?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jason123, where does it say that you need a test prior to entering Switzerland if you intend to immediately transit to another country?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
@jason123, where does it say that you need a test prior to entering Switzerland if you intend to immediately transit to another country?

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/coronavirus.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jason123 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/coronavirus.html
My reading of that is the test and quarantine is for UK residents who intend to stay in Switzerland. Those requirements do not apply to those who who are immediately transmitting to another country, eg, fly to GVA then head straight to France.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jason123, That's new, until last week anyone fully vaxxed (or under 16 thereof) did not need any test to fly to Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you use the Swiss Government's TravelCheck tool it says that fully vaccinated travellers form the UK intending to transit to another country are exempt from the test requirements.

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

For those flying to a Swiss airport and then travelling onward to another country (e.g. by car), quarantine requirements do not apply – provided that travellers do not make a stop in Switzerland, for instance to visit a shop or restaurant. Travellers have to present a pre-departure negative test result (PCR or antigen) in order to board the flight to Switzerland. They further have to complete a passenger locator form (SwissPLF) within 48 hours before entry. Travellers should be aware that there may be entry restrictions or quarantine requirements in the country they are travelling to.

Then the TravelCheck tool says the opposite. I think this week I'm going to do a Fit to Fly LFT, then if they don't check it/ask for it at the airport, then I'll not bother next week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jason123, very interesting as I hadnt noted that requirement.

But when you fill in the travel checker and say you are vaccinated then you get this

“Pandemic-related measures
You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form)

You are exempt from the test requirement.”
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, https://fb.watch/9C3AdqyVJd/

announcement by the Ambassador in Berne earlier today.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's still a lot of confusion over the regulations and the speed at which websites are getting updated. It may be that the Embassy website has not yet caught up with the government websites.

Easyjet is also still quoting test needed. In the end I will be going by what Easyjet say as there is no point in being right in not needing one if they won't let you on the plane unless you have one.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brianatab wrote:
@rob@rar, https://fb.watch/9C3AdqyVJd/

announcement by the Ambassador in Berne earlier today.
How likely is it that the TravelCheck website is out of date, having been updated this morning? I'm tempted to follow the guidance of the Swiss government's website for travellers more than the UK ambassador in Switzerland. A little bit closer to the horse's mouth, as it were. I don't have a problem doing a pre-departure test, but if it's not required I'd rather not go to the expense and hassle.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does it say anywhere how old the pre-departure test can be?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just over a week until I go so I have time to sit and wait. If there is any doubt there is no doubt in my mind. I will just take the test!

The Antigen at the moment seems like the best option, I can’t see why you’d choose the PCR test instead. It costs more and there is a greater delay getting results!?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:

".You need to present a negative PCR test (not older than 72 hours) or a negative rapid antigen test (not older than 48 hours). A second test is required four to seven days after entry. This test result must be reported to the cantonal authorities responsible. Under 16s and people who have a medical certificate to prove that they cannot have a Sars-CoV-2 test for medical reasons are exempt from the testing requirement..."

this is for travellers who are staying in switzerland (from the travelcheck site)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jason123, Back to the original question.

LFT antigen - Cheap cheerful and effective. We used c19testing in the Summer. Ordered tests, arrived next day. Simple process, similar to a NHS test. Having taken the test, write the serial number of the test on the cassette, take picture of your negative result on the cassette and open page of your passport, register through their online portal complete the forms and upload picture. 4 to 12 hours later certificate arrives in email.

PCR - Normal PCR test, seal the test in its tube, bag and secure. Find drop off point and leave there for collection. Some time later, could be as much as 24 hours, get test result by email and certificate if negative.

Variations on these include test where you are observed taking it over video link.

Normal issues with PCR if you have recovered from covid may still show positive a long while after you have recovered
ski holidays
Timc wrote:
@jason123, Back to the original question.

LFT antigen - Cheap cheerful and effective. We used c19testing in the Summer. Ordered tests, arrived next day. Simple process, similar to a NHS test. Having taken the test, write the serial number of the test on the cassette, take picture of your negative result on the cassette and open page of your passport, register through their online portal complete the forms and upload picture. 4 to 12 hours later certificate arrives in email.

PCR - Normal PCR test, seal the test in its tube, bag and secure. Find drop off point and leave there for collection. Some time later, could be as much as 24 hours, get test result by email and certificate if negative.

Variations on these include test where you are observed taking it over video link.

Normal issues with PCR if you have recovered from covid may still show positive a long while after you have recovered

Thanks for the info. That follows along with what I was thinking - to go with the antigen!
ski holidays
albob wrote:
ster wrote:

".You need to present a negative PCR test (not older than 72 hours) or a negative rapid antigen test (not older than 48 hours). A second test is required four to seven days after entry. This test result must be reported to the cantonal authorities responsible. Under 16s and people who have a medical certificate to prove that they cannot have a Sars-CoV-2 test for medical reasons are exempt from the testing requirement..."

this is for travellers who are staying in switzerland (from the travelcheck site)

Thanks, but not great if you’re going late on boxing day
latest report
@ster, Somewhere during the last few days I have seen one of the commercial testing companies state that they were working as normal through Christmas. Unfortunately I can't remember where otherwise I would have linked to it. Probably worth checking if your departure airport has immediate LFT testing.
ski holidays
I just flew back to GVA from MAN and I'm home now!

You will NEED a test to get on the plane, either pcr/antigen is fine.

At GVA they only asked for vaccine proof and locator form. Didn't ask me where I was going, although I have a french resident card.
latest report
@Timc, good point. Heathrow for us and I imagine Heathrow will have something if anywhere. I really dont like trying to get things done in this country over the holidays but as needs must.
snow conditions
timlongs wrote:

At GVA they only asked for vaccine proof and locator form. Didn't ask me where I was going, although I have a french resident card.

@timlongs, why do you think you need a test to get on the plane?
snow report
We travelled to Switzerland yesterday, and definitely needed a test to get on the plane. Antigen within 48 hours of arrival in CH was fine. Given that they only cost a few quid, I can’t imagine why anyone would take a chance on this.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
timlongs wrote:

Because the Swiss say you do.

Quote:
UPDATE ON TRANSIT:
For those flying to a Swiss airport and then travelling onward to another country (e.g. by car), quarantine requirements do not apply – provided that travellers do not make a stop in Switzerland, for instance to visit a shop or restaurant. Travellers have to present a pre-departure negative test result (PCR or antigen) in order to board the flight to Switzerland. They further have to complete a passenger locator form (SwissPLF) within 48 hours before entry. Travellers should be aware that there may be entry restrictions or quarantine requirements in the country they are travelling to.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
timlongs wrote:

I don't think, I know, because I flew home yesterday via Geneva. The Swiss require it and the airlines are enforcing it. Pretty simple really.
ski holidays
I've just been informed by Club Med that we can do either PCR or LFT:

"There is no quarantine requirement for travellers arriving in Switzerland from the UK who are just transiting onward to another country, as long as travel through Switzerland is less than 24 hours and does not involve a proper stopover.

• You must provide a negative antigen or PCR before departure. Antigen (48h before) or PCR (72h before).

• All passengers must complete this form before travelling via Switzerland. https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home."

They've also advised to have booking info for stay in France printed out to provide proof that you're definitely just transiting through.
snow conditions
Thanks for the report @timlongs! Can you (or anyone) advise in what form they need the proof of vaccination? I guess this is a question both about the airlines and the Swiss border control. Will it be sufficient to show them the info in the NHS app on a phone? Or would something on paper be required....
ski holidays
@parigi, No harm in carrying a printed copy in your pocket as a backup. Phones have been known to run flat, or just stop working.

I've just made a laminated copy of mine to carry.
latest report
@brianatab Thanks - yes I quite agree, now I've discovered how easy it is to get a pdf out of the NHS app Smile Somehow I wasn't expecting that....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parigi wrote:
Thanks for the report @timlongs! Can you (or anyone) advise in what form they need the proof of vaccination? I guess this is a question both about the airlines and the Swiss border control. Will it be sufficient to show them the info in the NHS app on a phone? Or would something on paper be required....

I just showed my QR code (I have the french vax) - they didn't scan it.

Take paper copy to be sure.
latest report
@Gämsbock, @timlongs, Thank you.
snow conditions
Just seen this on Facebook, posted this morning:-
"For anybody flying Manchester to Geneva.
I’m here now.
You need Covid travel pass
Proof of onward travel out of Geneva. Transfer reference or similar.
Negative Covid test by gov approved company.
Proof of accommodation at end destination.
They check this before being allowed to fly.
You can get an antigen test at the airport station. Results in 30 mins."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy