Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee support or go naked - advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - looking for any advice from anyone who has possibly experienced similar .....
I have arthritis in both knees.
11 months ago I had knee arthroscopy to clean up damaged meniscus - which I would say has been very successful.
Although I now no longer run and avoid high impact workouts (knees just do not appreciate it) - I am generally fit, am not overweight, and concentrate on doing pilates (almost daily) alongside leg strengthening exercises, cycling and cross trainer.
So I would like to know would I be sensible to start skiing with some sort of support / brace OR at least take something with me so I have a 'fall back' if needed??
I'm guessing I am really not going to know how my knees feel unit I actually get on the snow!
Any recommendation welcome.
Thank you
Oh - I'm female and 57 years old - if that matters
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dippy, This is an interesting question and what you describe is quite common so will be of interest to many, and many will not be as active and fit as you clearly are! One thing is for sure, the more and better quality the muscle mass you can develop the better, this will radically reduce any stresses on your joints.

One thing to explore is HOW you ski. Good technique in and of itself will minimise any strain on your knees (which should be minimal unless in extreme terrain/bumps). And further, even already good basic technique can be adapted to your physical limitations. You can also adapt how you attack a slope, for example choosing longer and wider turns rather than aggressive short turns. Using pivot and skidding skills to control speed etc.

You can also choose to ski at slower speeds/in less extreme terrain to manage the stress of your knees.

I would engage a good private instructor who is fully aware of your physical condition and work on how best to adapt your skiing to your limitations. A brace should be a last resort in my view, explore adaptions to technique first and less invasive support systems next.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look up ski Mojo ... I have arthritis in both knees. Am overweight .. out for three seasons ..took up roller blading, use resistance bands, and fridge Telemark skiing for 30 sessions so far.. havent used the Mojo yet .. but take it with me. Not a doctor or a Mojo marketing person, but have skied naked !

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 29-11-21 16:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also have arthritis in both knees and have recovered from 3 meniscus procedures and a full ACL reconstruction over many years. I ski without a knee brace now, having worn one for a few years. Proprioception exercises are my best friends. I would take a knee brace with you to start just for confidence, you may find it helps (it does help for sure with proprioception when recovering from a surgery). I'd strongly recommend lots of 1 legged activities to reeducate your knee as to where it should be, bosu balls, standing on one leg putting on shoes + socks, all that type of daily activity really helped me get back to 100% confidence. You dont need to dedicate your life to the rehabs but for sure a small amount daily beats trying to do big blocks just before a holiday!

For reference, i'm 52, and ski habitually 30-40 days per season depending, on and off piste. (obviously I am usually the BEST skiier on the mountain so this helps Razz )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'm guessing I am really not going to know how my knees feel unit I actually get on the snow!

A few hours in the frig to find out?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski mojo sounds ideal for you
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dippy, I have some similar issues in my right knee. From what you've said, if you're strong enough to do cycling, weight training etc., I doubt you need a support.

I think I'm right in saying that there's a fair bit of evidence to suggest that a lightweight neoprene support is as good as a full blown one unless you actually need a full blown one (i.e. for a torn ACL or similar which does not apply to you) because it helps with proprioception within the joint which is all the joint really needs.

I find skiing with any lightweight support a PITA because it inevitably slips down under your trousers. Instead I wear snowskins (compression tights) which have the same benefit for proprioception. They also, of course, keep the joint warm and help to contain any swelling during the day.

When I get home, I put a compression ice pack on to prevent swelling and that seems to be enough. I carry powerful anti-inflammatories with me but I don't generally use them because I find after 2-3 weeks skiing, it stops swelling anyway. Obviously that won't help if you're only out for a week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You can also choose to ski at slower speeds/in less extreme terrain to manage the stress of your knees.

Snow conditions are also important - for me, with a bad knee, they make a huge difference because the commitment (and technique) needed to "stay on top of your feet" in mucky, slushy, lumpy, conditions is so great and it's hard when you don't really "trust" your knee. "Savoir renoncer" as French resorts sometimes sign, at the top of an off-piste area. Know when to get off the slopes and into a nice café.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you everyone for replies - greatly appreciated and helpful!
Re a ski mojo - I'm quite familiar with this - have a friend whom I ski with regularly, he has had one for years, and it has certainly made a huge difference, he is able to ski for most of the day instead of just a couple of hours.
Hopefully I'm not at the stage of requiring a mojo just yet!

Zikomo - a very good point - I always try to take lessons / clinics as often as possible and will definitely try to take this point on board - thank you.

Coddlesangers - more one legged exercises noted - thank you

My current thoughts are I will continue with leg strengthening exercises and will look into taking a lightweight (pull on sock type) support with me - as well as my ice pack.
I tend to wear tight fitting running leggings or riding jodhpurs under my salopettes so hopefully any support would stay in place.

Overall I do feel confident that I will be able to ski pretty much as before - fingers crossed!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dippy, Get a mojo, end of. Other things are pointless for arthritis and meniscus injuries
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dippy,
Multi faceted strategy.

Make sure you get properly strong as that helps protects the knees.
Pick your conditions, ice really bad especially if rutted. Poor vis means unexpected shocks.
Take day three off ( your legs most fatigued 48 hrs after start of skiing)
Plan to take regular anti inflammatory if you tolerate them.
Ice the knees at end of day.
Perhaps pace the number of hours a day. Ie don’t over do it early in the week
Simple knee sleeves can improve proprioception and confidence but be wary with a tight one if your wear is mainly patella
If it is patella then I have seen good success with ski mojo.
“ unloaded braces” aren’t good enough for skiing ( by that I mean ossur unloaded type brace)
If they are still really bad consider whether you’d be better with a new one
Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dippy,

If doing strengthening exercise then look into Kaatsu with an EMS/TENS machine
However, prob just easier to buy a used ski mojo for the same money:lol:
You need your knees 52 weeks of the year. Dont ruin them for a few weeks abuse in the alps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This outcome 100% works for a month or more but is obviously only my suggestion (that Im not sure is even possible for yourself )
I have had three meniscus ops and a more rare op on both Anterior Tibialis .

Ive done this only once pre covid for a 5 week trip but have been offered it more than once .

Visit your GP and strongly ask for a appointment with Dr Loosemore or his team at UCLH 170 Tott crt rd london.
This is the UCLH Institute of Sport Exercise Health
https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/our-services/find-consultant/dr-mike-loosemore
Get your doctor to get your foot in the door if interested.

Its possible to get a injection in your knee or knees (steriod injection I think it was?)

Ive never known anything like it .
I actually felt like Forrest Gump afterwards....and was quite elated about it all after exactly the same symptoms your describe.
With level 3 and 4 bone wear in all 4 knee sectors in my case (level 4 wear is the max rating)..... yet all pain just disappeared COMPLETELY .

Which also allows shorter term strength and endurance training that may have been restrictive via knee pain .

Cant say I enjoyed getting the injection done (in Harley st) as I am probably getting soft but the removal of fluid in the past is probably similar or worse .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonathan Bell, thank you very much - advice greatly appreciated, particularly re unloaded braces - something I did not know.
@Tirol 164, - again thank you very much. My Doctor did mention steroid injections, however following scans I ended up having arthroscopy, but, will bear this in mind for future.

Im really hoping and quite confident that if I am sensible (as suggested above) I will comfortably manage. I am really concentrating on overall leg strength which has definitely greatly improved.

Hoping to get 3 weeks in this season - with (everything crossed) the first week in January. So I will report back then!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I believe that telemark has less impact on the knees than alpine skiing and that there are generally fewer injuries.

This sounds unlikely because telemark requires a much more obvious knee bend and because most telemark bindings do not actually release from the ski!! However, because the heel is permanently free to lift and the foot can bend inside the boot, knee injuries seem to be rare. Telemarkers also ski more slowly than alpine skiers and whilst in a fall you can get into all sorts of tangles It doesn’t seem to load the knee dangerously Very Happy
snow conditions
@Jonathan Bell,
Quote:

Simple knee sleeves can improve proprioception

I've been so happy skiing with my neoprene sleeves, as recommended by your good lady, for improved proprioception and warmth. I don't have full flexion, but plenty enough for (downhill, on-piste) skiing, and I can ski all day without any pain in my knees. I do ice them in the evenings, though, as they get a bit swollen. That said, I'm not sure how much my personal experience would be relevant for the OP - I guess we're all different.
snow report
@Dippy, wondering how you have got on?
ski holidays
@NickyJ, So skiied 6 full days at end of January in Austria. Wore a neoprene sleeve over knee and compression leggings.
Felt a little fragile / out of practice for first 2 days but by end of week I would say I was almost back to where I was previously with ability and confidence.
The real test came last week in Three Vallees - 7 full days of skiing in extremely varied conditions, with the last 2 days being pretty good powder days!
I skiied a total of 181.1 miles over 7 days - and yes both my knees knew it! To be honest I really should have quit earlier on my last day but conditions were just too good.
I really rate the compression leggings - I wont ski without them now! I wore skins and 2XU. I didn't suffer any muscle fatigue or ache (perhaps I didnt work hard enough)
I really did do a lot of leg strengthening exercises along with Pilates before both trips - and I will continue with this.
Now at home with Covid so knees getting a real rest at least, which to be honest I think is not a bad call!
I am currently 'feeling' my knees a little, but my last day skiing was only 3 days ago. I didn't take any painkillers. Just hoping knees feel no worse than prior to my trip once I commence exercises again.
snow report
@Dippy, so pleased you got on so well. I have packed my compression tights for going out on sunday. I am really not sure i am going to be able to do much as my knee still has some swelling in amd you can still see last of bruising from the surgery. I will be 5 weeks post op on Friday!

I was very strong and fit pre-surgery and have been pushing the rehab as much as I can
snow report
@NickyJ, Wow thats soon - dont follow my advice - listen to your body!!
I did find conditions made a difference - rock hard pistes first thing in morning seemed to vibrate right through to bones - but that could also be due to the fact I hate firm pistes.
Seemed surprisingly ok in softer spring conditions and coped well following a decent amount of fresh snow during last 2 days.
Best of luck.
snow report
@Dippy, I am looking at this as a holiday where I hope to do a bit of skiing. I am joining my parents and sister with her partner and their combined 4 kids. We have lost too much time together over last 2 years. I am good on the static bike, just starting back on cross trainer, been doing as much of pilates as I can manage. Getting close to full ROM back now. My Mum is also not sure how much she will be able to manage and it is their last ever ski trip
latest report
With not a lot of cartilage under my knee caps and arthritis setting in, i waited far too long to get a ski mojo. I skied with one for the first time last month, should have got one years ago.
Dont wait for your knees to tell you to stop, seek expert advice on physio, then buy a ski mojo, itll prolong the enjoyment!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy