Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transit in geneva

Poster: A snowHead
@WindOfChange, why Mellon Farmers?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Orange?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@no_snow_in_swindon, they will change it back LOL

you’ve got to love the Swiss, they are everyone’s friend…….. till it doesn’t suit and then they are not
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are booked into Flaine 12th to 26th Dec. Thinking of waiting for either Swiss to change their minds or EasyJet to cancel flight for a full refund, order some chains to go with my winter tyres and spend a couple of days each way driving
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@On the rocks, we are in on the 10th we will be driving assuming France doesn’t stick us on the red list too
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Omnicron variant now found in Switzerland...

https://twitter.com/BAG_OFSP_UFSP/status/1465051857026490377
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@puplett, Because they lied to Mrs WoC saying that the border between France and GVA was closed. So even though that she met all criteria the imposed by the Swiss authorities to fly they refused to board her saying the could not transit because the border was closed.
Mrs WoC said that they had to call security to the gate, and they refused to board 75% of passengers including Swiss nationals.
The border was completely open yesterday, moreover it was un-staffed ( I know because I had to go to Geneva to recover the car from the car park at Geneva airport).
It's very poor that the gate staff were preventing people from boarding who had fulfilled all the criteria.
Furthermore because EZJet staff were saying that the border to France was closed, they would only rebook her a flight to France (Either Paris or Lyon). As a consequence MrS Woc has to get travel from Bristol to Gatwick today, and I have a big round trip to Lyon to make tonight in heavy snow.
This is why I think they are a bunch of Mellon Farmers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All ready cancelled the car hire for January; got until 10/12 for the accommodation.
Wait and see what happens for travel to France, and drive out if possible; The £640 car hire, should cover tunnel, peage and a chunk of fuel.
I expect easy jet to pull the ryanair scam (or was it Jet2?) "flight is going, your not on it, no refund" this time around.
Flights are cheap enough to take the hit.

More worried about the family trip in early March.

I am expecting a major outbreak of politic-ing between Macron/ BJ /EU ( with that welsh twonk trying to stick a cherry on top, for self importance); so I think travel restrictions will become more widespread.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob wrote:
Phil Smith the instructor who runs courses has posted on facebook that he is awaiting numerous guests flying into Geneva today and will post the outcome as soon as it is known.

any update on this?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From Phil Smith’s facebook.

“Morning all. Sorry I know another post about Switzerland. But I feel important. Yesterday I posted about some of our guests flying out to Switzerland to ski in France. They were held at Swiss customs on arrival yesterday afternoon, then allowed to proceed through.
We now think it was because their flight left the UK just before midday when the announcement was made and an allowance was made for them.
Sorry to be the bearer of this news. I was honestly hoping it was for different reasons. Am hoping the regulations will change.
Good luck everyone. Really hope you all get skiing.”

So it’s not going to be possible to transit thro Geneva.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

From the British ambassador.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some friends are just waiting to board their flight to GVA with the assurance from BA they can transit back home to France without issue, I'll update later........
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and good luck changing flights to Grenoble. EasyJet flights went up 50% today. Were £511 this morning, now £775. Add that onto the PCR tests and it starts to get bloody expensive.
Might just cram a day or two in the Chill Factor or bug off up to Scotland Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
Some friends are just waiting to board their flight to GVA with the assurance from BA they can transit back home to France without issue, I'll update later........

That's the key phrase: "back home". Which for most of us isn't the case and you need to be able to provide proof before boarding the flight. I think the Swiss info since the Omicron related changes has always said that is possible
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jbob, so ... it's more sensible to keep people in 40tine in CH than let them through to FR? Yeah, right.

Sorry, but they're idiots.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@jbob, so ... it's more sensible to keep people in 40tine in CH than let them through to FR? Yeah, right.

But thats the point. It is very sensible because it will achieve the objective of stopping people coming in as no sane person will want to endure such constraints so they won't bother trying.
snow report
@dsoutar, I know, I know ... still idiots
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
under a new name wrote:

But thats the point. It is very sensible because it will achieve the objective of stopping people coming in as no sane person will want to endure such constraints so they won't bother trying.

Indeed.
ski holidays
Decided to drive, maybe with a Formula 1 enroute. Should have decided to drive so originally , great to avoid the airport, aircraft and coach Petri dishes and mask wearing, not to mention uncertainty over ABS pack, being able to take more food for self catering. It will be a bonus if Easyjet cancels and refunds
ski holidays
Right this is a joke, surely? I live in France (therefore meeting the criteria of being a Legal Resident of a Schengen State returning home). My car is in the car park at GVA. I'm in the UK for a few days for work (flying easyjet back home from Bristol). So now, I'm not going to be able to fly to GVA to pick up my car and drive home? This is insane.
latest report
@rjj501,

I believe you can go back to France via Geneva if you can prove you are resident in France.

This discussion is about UK skiers & other tourists cannot transit through Geneva to France now.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 29-11-21 17:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rjj501 wrote:
Right this is a joke, surely? I live in France (therefore meeting the criteria of being a Legal Resident of a Schengen State returning home). My car is in the car park at GVA. I'm in the UK for a few days for work (flying easyjet back home from Bristol). So now, I'm not going to be able to fly to GVA to pick up my car and drive home? This is insane.

Fairly sure there are different rules for a legal resident...

The most insane part is that there are comments on the Press release just finished (n.b. I am reliant on others translating Sad) that suggest it doesn't answer the question of whether you can transit without quarantining (and on latest rules regarding registering with Canton officials and a PCR test between days 4 and 7...) despite this being a massively common question. The official guides aren't clear (mainly because it isn't clear that the new rules on what amount to cover sheets don't fully replace other guidance for the UK), and apparently some people are told it is fine if they call the support line, yet the British ambassador has apparently been told it isn't.

Of course getting confirmation isn't much use if it isn't clear because the airlines have legal obligations which means it is potentially better for them to refuse travel (and likely just have to refund ticket price at worst) than have to deal with shipping you back to the UK if it goes wrong...
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Exactly this
ski holidays
qwerty360 wrote:
rjj501 wrote:

Fairly sure there are different rules for a legal resident...

The most insane part is that there are comments on the Press release just finished (n.b. I am reliant on others translating Sad) that suggest it doesn't answer the question of whether you can transit without quarantining (and on latest rules regarding registering with Canton officials and a PCR test between days 4 and 7...) despite this being a massively common question. The official guides aren't clear (mainly because it isn't clear that the new rules on what amount to cover sheets don't fully replace other guidance for the UK), and apparently some people are told it is fine if they call the support line, yet the British ambassador has apparently been told it isn't.

Of course getting confirmation isn't much use if it isn't clear because the airlines have legal obligations which means it is potentially better for them to refuse travel (and likely just have to refund ticket price at worst) than have to deal with shipping you back to the UK if it goes wrong...

I know that when NL was kicking off about UK in the summer then P&O was heavily fined if it boarded anyone to Rotterdam who Dutch customs/immigration felt failed Covid parameters. I imagine it is the same for the airlines and CH authorities, so as you say they will just err on the side of caution until it's all clearer. Eventually P&O started to let Brits on the boat again, it took weeks, and in those weeks nothing changed in the regs (only the implementation).
ski holidays
I think they have been quite clear - and it is the underlying language that shows the position - they talked about the fact they are dealing with their own internal wave of delta and thus not wanting to risk the unknown of Omicron - though there is already a confirmed case in Switzerland. Why should they deal with tourists and added risks of those transiting through?

They have made it clear that residents of schengen states are permitted to transit though.

Quote:
Transit from a third country considered by the SEM to be high-risk to a Schengen state
Third-country citizens holding a residence document or a visa type D for their destination country in the Schengen area are permitted to travel through Switzerland to that country.
The normal requirements for entering Switzerland apply.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#1668147653

They also have updated the details of where to send day 4 & 7 tests. https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/de/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#1759131064
ski holidays
@On the rocks, We only booked our EJ flights last week for travel Southampton - Geneva in mid December. I spoke to Easy Jet Customer Service today - Very helpful guy confirmed that for flights booked to Switzerland they will now offer a refund or issue a voucher if you prefer. This has to be requested via customer services (0330 551 5151) You can also have the option to transfer to another flight if you want to which you can do via manage your bookings. Like you, we are now probably going to drive unless things change re travel to France.
snow report
loatie wrote:
@On the rocks, We only booked our EJ flights last week for travel Southampton - Geneva in mid December. I spoke to Easy Jet Customer Service today - Very helpful guy confirmed that for flights booked to Switzerland they will now offer a refund or issue a voucher if you prefer. This has to be requested via customer services (0330 551 5151) You can also have the option to transfer to another flight if you want to which you can do via manage your bookings. Like you, we are now probably going to drive unless things change re travel to France.

I have just spoken with sleazyjet customer services and they are not offering vouchers or a refund, you can only change your flight to something else. Either I got a witch and you got an angel, or there's some miscommunication in the offices. Sad
ski holidays
@ralphster,
Quote:

and good luck changing flights to Grenoble. EasyJet flights went up 50% today. Were £511 this morning, now £775. Add that onto the PCR tests and it starts to get bloody expensive.
Might just cram a day or two in the Chill Factor or bug off up to Scotland

luckily I changed my LGW to GVA (sat Dec 1Cool flight to Grenoble yesterday morning, it was advertised at £89, now 3 seats left at £189!!

it cost me £57 to change from my original flight, which I booked for around £30 in September

i just need to clarify if I can actually transit back via Geneva on Dec 26th with BA, if not I will need to cancel the whole lot by this Saturday, to be able to recoup 50% of the accommodation cost.

everything else is refundable up to the day before travel, and flights can be changed again if need be

hopefully it will all be clearer in a few days!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hayleyb2505, How bizarre - I will check again. Thought I'd put this one to bed but in view of your experience obviously not. Very frustrating.
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
KenX wrote:

That's the key phrase: "back home". Which for most of us isn't the case and you need to be able to provide proof before boarding the flight. I think the Swiss info since the Omicron related changes has always said that is possible

But even for them as French residents, there was zero information anywhere concerning transit..........
ski holidays
@hayleyb2505, I have just rung EJ Customer services again...... She confirmed that the 3 options were open to us against our booking reference of refund, voucher, or book a different flight. According to her this was as a direct result of Swiss restrictions over last couple of days and is open to all customers booked to Geneva - I don't know when your flight was booked for but I think the first person I spoke to said the options were open for flights booked up to February so maybe you are booked after this. Our booking relates to travel in mid December. Maybe I got a good angel again...... Puzzled
ski holidays
So our friends just had to show their residency per its and were through, correct result for them, but if they can transit, then why not tourists?
snow report
Today I’ve cancelled and asked for a rolled over EasyJet flights to Geneva ( paid £50 per seat - no luggage ). And booked new flights from Luton to Grenoble with WIZZ AIR. Cost just £28 per seat, again no luggage.

Takes Switzerland out of the equation totally. Just hoping France stays open !!

Couldn’t believe this price after the torrent of bad news over the past few days.

Great times for the flights and a nice saving!!!

Appears there was plenty of availability too.
snow conditions
From the StG Facebook page:
Just seen these two comments on the Cham FB page

“I spoke to the UK Embassy in Berne who confirmed that it was clarified this morning that anyone staying/passing through Switzerland for less than 24hrs is exempt from quarantining and providing a negative test on arrival. She directed me to the relevant wording on the Swiss government website confirming this. UK government needs to reflect this on the Gov website.”

So is everyone panicking and changing/cancelling a bit to quick?
latest report
The relevant wording seems pretty elusive.......
snow conditions
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/28/travel-firms-scramble-to-rearrange-holidays-amid-new-covid-measures

Quote:
EasyJet, which flies all across Europe, said its customers “can change their flights without a change fee up to two hours before departure. EasyJet also continues to offer a market-leading refund policy for those impacted by travel bans across Europe, which means that they can receive a refund, voucher or free transfer to a later date, even if their flights are still operating.”
ski holidays
NewSkiingDad wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
People have been blocked this morning from boarding a flight to GVA to visit friends in Morzine. I’d say transit is off unless you are an EU/ French resident.

Is there any proof of this? Im due to travel to Geneva in a couple of days. Supposed to be staying in CH but could reroute to FR if transit is allowed.

My sister got refused boarding on Sunday morning, along with all but 4 of a full flight.
latest report
Meant to be going to Val Thorens on Sunday and have flights to/from Geneva booked, with this new Swiss quarantine rule would it be allowed to fly direct to France, from the UK, Ski for 5 days and then fly back from Geneva?
ski holidays
Dannyh101 wrote:
Meant to be going to Val Thorens on Sunday and have flights to/from Geneva booked, with this new Swiss quarantine rule would it be allowed to fly direct to France, from the UK, Ski for 5 days and then fly back from Geneva?

Remember unless booked as 2x singles, if you do not take the flight out the return is auto cancelled and you are classed as a no show.
snow conditions
Ah ok. Didn’t realise that. Back to the drawing board. Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy