Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transit in geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Agree with the above.

By the letter of the law, your 72hr PCR gets you into Switzerland, but if you’ve had 24 hours between taking the test and crossing into France, you’re going to need another one. Because their time limits are 48 hours.

We’ve fallen foul of this, in that to guarantee our PCR results are back in time, we have to send the tests on Monday afternoon. That gets us into Switzerland within 72 hours.

Arriving GVA on Wednesday evening however, means we have to have a separate test result (currently just an antigen one) to cross into France within 48 hrs. That test can’t be taken before midnight on Monday.

Such a faff!! And just another set of tests to buy!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@All in, this is my concern now as we fly to Geneva Boxing Day which means testing on Christmas Eve, I’ve no idea if we will even be able to get a test/ result and it all work?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@feefee, you need a PCR test (72 hour) for Switzerland but only a lateral flow test (48 hour) for France, you may be able to do the latter at a booked walk in facility in you UK departure airport
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can someone confirm on my position. Flying U.K. to Geneva Thursday 30th December. Planning on two nights in Montreux before heading to Avoriaz on the Saturday. Am I correct in thinking testing as follows

1. PCR test within 72 hrs of travelling to Geneva
2. Antigen test to get into France (as the PCR would be outside the time window)
3. Antigen test to return to U.K.
4. Day 2 (or before) PCR in U.K.

Do I need anything to get back into Geneva from France? If so, will my Antigen test (required for returning to U.K.), be suitable?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the rocks wrote:
@feefee, you need a PCR test (72 hour) for Switzerland but only a lateral flow test (48 hour) for France, you may be able to do the latter at a booked walk in facility in you UK departure airport

Thankyou, trying to avoid the cost of 4 x tests per person (for the trip) if we got tested on the afternoon of the 24th same day result, then landed in Geneva the morning of the the 26th we could satisfy the 48 and the 72hrs requirement? Assuming the french requirement is checked at Geneva?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 6-12-21 9:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@feefee, that would be within 48 hrs but not 24, if that’s what you meant Puzzled

I imagine the French requirement may be checked at the French border wherever that is - I say that because I honestly haven’t noticed if there is one in the airport after you land.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 6-12-21 9:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@feefee, I’m planning to drop our tests off at the lab (2 hours each way) to ensure the result (same day) is as recent as possible rather than lose the 24 hours needed for post office/courier
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@motyl, edited thank you
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
motyl wrote:
@feefee, that would be within 48 hrs but not 24, if that’s what you meant Puzzled

I imagine the French requirement may be checked at the French border wherever that is - I say that because I honestly haven’t noticed if there is one in the airport after you land.

The paperwork will be checked by the airline before you board as they are responsible to only carry passengers that are fit for entry.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the rocks wrote:
@feefee, I’m planning to drop our tests off at the lab (2 hours each way) to ensure the result (same day) is as recent as possible rather than lose the 24 hours needed for post office/courier

That’s why I’m thinking a walk in facility, there’s one about half an hour away which is nearer than the airport. I’ll phone them today and see if it’s possible. It’s frustrating and expensive!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our local DAM Health office in Fulham London has a in-house lab for PCR results in under three hours and are reasonably priced. We have used on numerous occasions. They also have other locations around the country but unsure if they have i -house labs for quick results.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy, it’s a DAM one that I found not too far away. I’ll report back once I have spoken to them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really confused now. On the gov.uk site they state:
Testing requirements
In addition to the above entry requirements, all travellers flying to Switzerland must possess either proof of vaccination, proof of recovery in the last 6 months or a negative COVID-19 test prior to departure. Negative PCR tests (not older than 72 hours) are accepted. Children under the age of 16 are exempt from testing. A negative COVID-19 test will not grant your entry to Switzerland if you are not eligible to enter (i.e. fully vaccinated or exempt.)
so they are saying EITHER proof of vaccine or recovery or a negative test (not AND a negative test). This is driving me mad trying to plan our trip to Les Arcs via Geneva this weekend!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't take the Gov site as gospel (it has been shown to be incorrect/slow to update before).
You are best looking at the Swiss https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home site

This is the result :: flying from the Uk then transit out of Switzerland (fully vacced)

"You need to present a negative PCR test (not older than 72 hours). A second test is required four to seven days after entry. This may be a PCR test or a rapid nasopharyngeal antigen test. The test result must be reported to the competent cantonal office. Under 16s and people who have a medical certificate to prove that they cannot have a Sars-CoV-2 test for medical reasons are exempt from the testing requirement. (read more)
You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form).
False declarations regarding vaccination or recovery status and failure to comply with the testing and reporting obligation may result in consequences under criminal law. Failure to test after entry and failure to report the second test result to the canton may result in a fine.

Please continue to follow the usual hygiene measures, such as keeping your distance, washing your hands and wearing a face covering in places where it is mandatory. (read more)

If you do not have a Swiss Covid certificate, an «EU Digital COVID Certificate» or a certificate compatible with the «EU Digital COVID Certificate», you can apply for a Swiss Covid certificate. For more information, see the Covid Certificate page...."

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 6-12-21 11:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SStreet, it goes on to clarify the conditions but I agree it could be worded better to distinguish between vaccinated and non vaccinated.

If you are vaccinated you need a PCR within 72 hrs for CH, and (PCR or LF) within 48hrs for France. So a single PCR within 48hrs would meet both requirements if you choose to do it that way.
snow report
motyl wrote:
@SStreet, it goes on to clarify the conditions but I agree it could be worded better to distinguish between vaccinated and non vaccinated.

If you are vaccinated you need a PCR within 72 hrs for CH, and (PCR or LF) within 48hrs for France. So a single PCR within 48hrs would meet both requirements if you choose to do it that way.

Could you confirm what test is required by the Swiss for the return flight, after spending 9 days in France?
ski holidays
Trw144 wrote:
motyl wrote:

Could you confirm what test is required by the Swiss for the return flight, after spending 9 days in France?
No sorry I can’t! I feel for airline staff as it’s all I can manage to keep on top of the requirements for my own trip Madeye-Smiley. Having said that I believe that CH don’t require a test from a neighbouring country otherwise I would have got an extra PCR to fly back.

Can I go and lie down in a nice darkened room somewhere? Toofy Grin
snow report
@Trw144,

I believe that:-

If you are staying in Switzerland for more than 24hrs you are NOT in transit.

I think you will have to go into quarantine. You need to check the appropriate Gov.Uk website for "Travel to Switzerland".
latest report
welshflyer wrote:
@Trw144,

I believe that:-

If you are staying in Switzerland for more than 24hrs you are NOT in transit.

I think you will have to go into quarantine. You need to check the appropriate Gov.Uk website for "Travel to Switzerland".

If that is the case, then I ll head straight into France. Maybe Annecy or Evian for a few nights.
snow report
@Trw144, The Swiss stopped the quarantine requirement several days ago

Enter your details in to https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check for the latest entry rules

My reading of it is -- PCR to get in and report result to cantonal authorities (fully vacced)
ski holidays
Does anybody know the entry requirements now of returning to Geneva (from France) to fly home? Thinking of switching the flight to Chmabery but trying to determine if this is unnecessary.
latest report
Good question @Trw144. I would like to know the same.

From this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157335

It looks like you need a negative PCR, taken up to 72 hours before arrival to enter Switzerland again. However, it says *Travellers from Rhone-Alpes are exempt from the Swiss locator form and do not need a Pre-Departure PCR Test*

What does this actually mean? Only people who actually live in Rhone-Alps? Or people who have stayed temporarily? Silly question but is Les Arcs in Rhone-Alps?
snow conditions
paul9619 wrote:
Good question @Trw144. I would like to know the same.

From this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157335

It looks like you need a negative PCR, taken up to 72 hours before arrival to enter Switzerland again. However, it says *Travellers from Rhone-Alpes are exempt from the Swiss locator form and do not need a Pre-Departure PCR Test*

What does this actually mean? Only people who actually live in Rhone-Alps? Or people who have stayed temporarily? Silly question but is Les Arcs in Rhone-Alps?

The Rhone Alpes covers the likes of Savoie (73) and Haut Savoie (74), as well as I think Lyon (69) and the Auvergne. It's the wider region that covers a number of departments.
ski holidays
Does this cover Avoriaz then?
latest report
Trw144 wrote:
Does this cover Avoriaz then?

Yes. Avoriaz is literally a border town in winter!
It's in Haut Savoie (74)
snow report
But the question still remains as to whether the exemption is for travellers or residents? Wording says travellers but it would be nice to have an official link or response.
snow conditions
paul9619 wrote:
But the question still remains as to whether the exemption is for travellers or residents

I say we'll find out this weekend when more people have crossed back into Geneva!
snow conditions
@paul9619, see my reply to you in the 'travel requirements' thread --
I believe my interpretations are correct, but , please read the link and form your own opinions !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I fly between Geneva and London regularly. I am however exempt from the testing requirement. For info, I flew from GVA yesterday and wasn't asked for anything by the border police on the motorway or by anyone in GVA apart from BA check in staff. I believe that the only thing you'll need is the UK pax locator form, a UK pre-arrival PCR and confirmation of a booked day 2 test (which you'll need for the locator form anyway).
I don't think the Swiss are interested. You're leaving the Schengen.
ski holidays
@zzz, your post has certainly helped to lift my spirits. I certainly hope that this will continue to be the case.
snow report
And who knows what happens when you ski from France into Switzerland or vice versa!
snow conditions
If anyone is flying BA UK to Geneva to transit to France before Christmas I’ll be very keen to hear how you get on please.
ski holidays
feefee wrote:
If anyone is flying BA UK to Geneva to transit to France before Christmas I’ll be very keen to hear how you get on please.

My mate’s son is flying BA out from LHR tonight and back next Thursday - meeting us at GVA then off to Morzine. Will report back.
ski holidays
Will be interesting to hear about the return trip from France to GVA. As far as I can see officially you'll need a second PCR to do the transfer, whereas if you dodge that you could simply do a UK supplied LFT for the flight.
ski holidays
@Matt1959, i really don’t think anyone will be doing PCRs for return to GVA. The latest Swiss graphic makes it clear travellers from Rhone Alps are exempt and in practice nothing has changed at the road border.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, My thoughts too. I'm going to check informally with one of the local transfer companies.
latest report
@Matt1959, I have a mate who runs a transfer biz - no checks either way with a minibus load of punters. If they were going to check anyone you’d assume it’d be them!
snow report
@Matt1959, you will not need a PCR to transit CH. I do it all the time.
ski holidays
@feefee,
l travel LHR-GVA regularly. You'll need to fill in the Swiss pax locator form even though you are transiting CH. No one bothers with the French Attestation. You won't be asked for it. I'm exempt from a test but if I was going to have one I'd just do a PCR because the Swiss govt insist on one to board the aircraft to Switzerland (even though France only need a lateral flow).
latest report
@zzz,

Are you showing the airline and/or Swiss authorities that you are exempt from a test?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy