Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plan C: Dolomites instead of Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have now booked flight to Munich (on 13th) to replace flights to Innsbruck that probably won’t happen (on 12th). Plan then to go to Obergurgl with current hotel booking IF they open on 13th. (No BA flights to Innsbruck on Mondays anyway)

Am considering a backup which is actually looking quite good; it’s no further to Val Gardena than Obergurgl from Munich (both about 3 hrs 45mins). Seems plenty of hotel availability there and some (though not huge) amounts of snow though I believe Italian snow making is the best as it has to be.

Any tips; is the Brenner pass almost always open? Is the skiing in Italy likely not to be affected by lockdowns; what is the situation in that area - I’m guessing things are getting worse given proximity to Austria? I believe it’s fine to transit Austria even with the current lockdown?

Haven’t skied Italy for 35 years (that was a Club 18-30 in Sauze). I hear the Sella Ronda is fantastic.

Any tips, info, comments gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First mistake: The Dolomites are Plan C rolling eyes FFS!

wink

Tip 1: Don’t over eat!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AL9000 wrote:
First mistake: The Dolomites are Plan C rolling eyes FFS!

wink

Tip 1: Don’t over eat!

I know. Have been looking at the piste map. If not this time then another time - didn’t realise how easy to reach from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

didn’t realise how easy to reach from Innsbruck.

A doddle and a beautiful drive IMO. Enjoy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had the Dolomites as our Plan B, but will keep it for another year when it will be Plan A
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Never had any problems with the Brenner
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We got stuck at Brenner 2 winters ago due to avalanches from overnight snow. Missed our flight and had to stay overnight in Innsbruck to catch flight following day. This might be a rare event but it definitely can happen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are planning something similar, flying to Munich on 14th and accomodation booked in Finkenberg. Our guesthouse emailed to say they 100% expect to open on the 13th but I'm not so confident so train on to the Italian Dolomites is plan B. There are some curfews there as well tho.
A negative test is required for entry to Italy as far as I can work out and transiting through Austria is also fine under current rules.
It's a minefield, one of the group has pulled out just in case his 2 day PCR test on return to UK is positive and he has to quarantine for Christmas, worth a thought!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very, very rare for the Brenner to be closed. It's low, just over 1300m, the main North-South link from Austria & Germany through to Italy and a full motorway with a fleet of snow-clearing vehicles, so it would have to be a catastrophic amount of snow to keep it closed for any length of time.

Not sure about the Covid regs, but cases are increasing in South Tyrol and everything is subject to change.

But great decision to visit the Dolomites!! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Train to brixen bressone & transfer from there?
Austria has introduced PCR tests - not sure about transiting through the german annex
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy