Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Secret of Closed Lift Mountain

Poster: A snowHead
I've left the route and summits as an exercise for the experts on this forum.

Last week it dumped between 50cm and 100cm in the French Alps.

and some places still looked pretty snowbound despite the closed lifts (only the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix is currently open). We wanted to climb to the highest peak on this ridgeline.

After a 3.30 am start from the self dubbed "capital of the Alps" we arrived on the road pass to find it blocked by an old avalanche and rockfalls. With the 35 hour week you just can't get the staff to clear the roads these days. Nothing else for it but a hike to find snow (typical this time of year in France).

We decided to hike up what would normally be a busy off piste. After 1000' we found some snow...

Stunning views back to somewhere famous :p

Gilles was in full flow skinning at 2500' / hour.

but finally had to remove his skis to climb the summit ridge

le Mont Blanc to the left

and some nice snow down this well known o/p

a couple of peaks

then time to go

The snow is great at the moment in the Northern Alps above 9000' which is probably why there are some fantastic descents being made (Austrian Route on the Courtes, Mallory, North face of the Col de l'Aiguille Verte). At mid altitudes 7000' - 9000' the alternating hot and hotter weather have played havoc with the snowpack.

x-posted from TGR.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ditto Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cor!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks like you went up and down the Grand Sablat and had a peek down the Pyramide. Did you make it all the way to the summit of Pic Bayle? As they might say on TGR, looks boner! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just read your post properly - so you were going for L'Etendard. Did you make it? That's a long slog from the road!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Arno,

You must know this spot pretty well. Yes it was the Grand Sablat glacier (or what is left of it). You had better snow earlier in the year but I guess you take what you can get. In fact we were always heading for the Bayle (named after a 19th century priest who resided in l'alpe d'Huez for the history wonks) and I had to look twice at the map to confirm that it is higher than the Etendard (or Etendart) by 1 m (3465 as opposed to 3464). I'm not entirely convinced as it looks higher from the summit. The Etendard from Clavans is a long slog as you say... and even from the Col du Glandon (opening this week) it is a long slog but at least it will be on snow.

Arnos TR is well worth a look.. As I recall l'Impossible is skied off the slot to the left of the Pic Bayle (see photo above) but didn't you ski this recently?

[edit]
Ahhh Gilles my ski partner yesterday has just pm'd to say that the l'impossible must be reached after a traverse from the col de la Pyramide as there are cliffs below the slot in the photo.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
Wow! Cool

as you can see your mountain still has good snow cover although it is searingly hot at the moment Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, i'd always assumed the Etendard was the highest - probably because the lift map makes it look that way so not very scientific!

You can get into l'Impossible from that slot but it is a bit "chaud" and involves stepping over sharp bits of rock on your skis - not everyone's cup of tea. The alternative (the one I have done most recently) is to traverse into it from the Pyramide. Also a bit of rock-hopping but not so bad.
snow report
 brian
brian
So for non-Arno types, it's Alpe d'Huez looking back towards L2A and La Grave ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, bingo wink
the off-piste at Alpe d'Huez is rather over-looked IMO. Davidof refers to the Grand Sablat as a busy off-piste - not by most standards. I skied it twice on an Sunday in April with fresh powder and blue skies. We were the only people who went down there all day
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't believe how much snow there still is out there! Very cool photos!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am green with jealousy. Nearly 8 weeks since I last skied and probably 8 months to go till I can again. However I might manage an Autumn long weekend with the excuse of visiting a friend and mentor nearby (since he has said he will write about me for a catalogue). Not sure if there is much open around then?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, Have you missed the PSB thread?
snow report
Arno wrote:
brian, bingo wink
the off-piste at Alpe d'Huez is rather over-looked IMO.

Extremely underrated. Long valley from Marmottes III down to a snowmobile pick up is excellent. Can't remember the name of the small 'entrance resort' to ADH that you come to from La Grave. Took a couple of lifts there and found some excellent untracked powder in full view of thousands of punters. Excellent place, even with it's exposed reputation.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
snowball, Have you missed the PSB thread?
Yes, I never read it since I don't really look in that section (all my skiing was booked out almost a year ahead)
So - I just had a read of last year's PSB talk. Earlier than I had thought. Is there any proposal for next year (I can't see one). Was there any off-piste? Did anyone go and ski over to La Grave (one of my favourite places to ski) or were the lifts there shut?

However I was really talking about places in the Chamonix area (my friend lives in a small village off the Geneva - Chamonix road.)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 19-05-06 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
flicksta and brian, yes, some great off-piste at Alp d'H much of it in several valleys that have no piste. But you really have to be shown where it is by a guide or you wouldn't find most of it.
The SCGB off-piste holidays in La Grave usually do a day in Alp d'H.
ski holidays
snowball, look here. No off-piste of any major significance - and you certainly shouldn't count on any - and nothing over to LG (although I'm not sure if you could have got over there on the glacial bits if you were willing to skin back). There was the "Snowheads Wall", of which there are a few pictures on snowMedia - which easiski reckons is a blue piste Shocked (however unlikely that may seem - I would buy that for the route round the outside of it, but not down it), and a little 100m or so section between a couple of pistes to skiers far right - we were not supposed to be on it but you were OK as long as you steered clear of the main crevasse. There was also a little bit of snow allowing you to get down to the base of the funicular with only only taking the skis off once. I understand from easiski that last year was was about as bad as it gets, and there's normally a little bit of adventure skiing around the edge of the glacier - but it's still mainly a piste job.

davidof wrote:
Gilles was in full flow skinning at 2500' / hour.
Shocked So by that score, if I'd been with you I'd be getting to the top by about now! Great photos - very envious.

Also my Mum just pointed out an article in the ToryGraph (IIRC) about the "Patrouille des Glaciers" being won in a new record time this year - 6 hours 18 minutes and 48 seconds Shocked Shocked Shocked (Zermatt to Verbier, 53km, 3994m of vertical gain, for those that have not heard of it)
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
So by that score, if I'd been with you I'd be getting to the top by about now!

You know what Graham, if you had been there I think we would have let Gilles do his stuff and had a good natter on the way up!
snow report
snowball, GrahamN, has answered most of your questions about the snow conditions etc. As the 2005 version was so successful, we're definitely going to do 2006 (first bookings are in), and I fully expect it to become an annual Snowheads get-together. The Mondial is on every year anyway, but dates for 2007 are unlikely to be out until around Feb/March of that year. However, you can be pretty sure that it'll be the last weekend of October/ first weekend of November. basically - All Saints Week. La Grave woukld be horribly dangerous at that time - all the snow bridges almost non-existent, but just enough to catch you out! If in doubt, check out their 360 deg webcam during the summer for a reminder of what's under the snow!!!! wink
ski holidays
Thanks, easiski, Only a relatively small part of La Grave is on glacier (the least steep part), but it would probably be the only part with enough snow, so I take your point.
latest report
snowball, Almost undoubtedly - needs an awful lot to snow to make LG skiable!!!
latest report
GrahamN, has the "Patrouille des Glaciers" been shortened? I seem to recall the Salamin Brothers' photos claiming about 100km (in just under 8 hours?), although my memory may well be faulty and I am probably wrong.
snow report
I converted a GPS track to Google Earth KLM format and this is what it gave for the Pic Bayle

okay the resolution lacks a bit for the Alps but I thought it might provoke some ideas.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy