Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So it begins - First patrol Job

Poster: A snowHead
First rescue - didn't expect ne this early, was half expecting to do none, 2020 they did 2 and 4 in 2019!

Just as I start taking down the signage and fencing at 4.15pm (we close at 4.30 as it's dark at 5).

12 year old snowboarder, very simple damaged (probably broken) wrist. Se was quite calm and would instantly stop sobbing when answering questions...had to keep talking. Massive vacuum spling thingy on her arm. Loaded her onto the rescue sledge and off down the hill.
She was happy to walk to mum's car. Mum was fine about everything...grandma less so.

Finished taking down signs in the dark!

Don't have any photos.....so here is yesterday's first light from the top saftey bar

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Idris, early drama! Well done - sounds like you handled it in your stride.

Keep the updates coming!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed, keep it coming!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
this could quickly become the best topic of the year
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idris, Thanks for post, keep up the good work - both on the job and forum posting Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A few days ago, instead of working with Pascal my usual boss (he was at dentist). I got to work with Pierre, he is a retired municipal snowplough/excavator driver.

He lives a few 100m from the main lift, which his grandfather installed. He himself installad the longer flatter lift in 1981.

At the end of the day one of the saftey/derail detection pullies threw a bearing and started screaming. Once everyone had gone home we went to replace it.

Its the small rubber wheel on the end of the arm, usually running on the cable, we have it in the service position.
Working with Pierre, being old school and no nonsense, we just climbed the 8-10 m pylon in ski (touring) boots with no saftey gear (didn't even have my normal ski helmet) and changed the offending pully.

It's a 2 man job and Pierre was up the pylon as fast as me, in fact, when we needed different sized spanners he went down to fetch. But as he sat astride the main pully to get one side of the mounting bolt, I had to hang out and one handed get the other side. I eventually ended up with a leg round the saftey rail (me on the outside of it) and both hands on the spanner.

An intersting view of the sunset.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 27-12-21 15:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Idris, I feel a book coming on ... this is too good!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great updates @Idris,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Great shot
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Enjoying these updates so much!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A great read. Didn't know where it was, so had to search on Google maps. Also had a look on Outdoor Active and managed to find it OK. Although quite surprised that it was a tiny resort compared to even La Praz de Lys/Sommand on the other side of the valley. 1 black, 2/3 reds and a blue.

@Idris what do they charge for the day there?

BTW Lunch was just my sort of lunch!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DixieDean, €12
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A steal then. Though I'm not sure why someone would ski there as opposed La Praz, Les Gets, Les Carroz or Morillon. Much larger areas and not that far away.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bigger isn't always better!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Who installed the lift....Doppelmayer....Leitner?"
"No, it was Pascal"

Oh yeah, people work hard behind the scenes so we can ski. Thanks to you and all of them. Especially the Pascals.
latest report
@DixieDean, for loads of locals it doesn't really matter where you ski, tourists want to explore and ski something different all of the time. For a local even if it is a huge area you would quickly know it all so size is irrelevant it's all about the sliding.
I also met couple of Canadian guys at Weardale, they were touring Europe visiting a different small area every day (don't know how they managed to arrive at Weardale on a day we had snow there).
snow report
Chris_n wrote:
I also met couple of Canadian guys at Weardale, they were touring Europe visiting a different small area every day (don't know how they managed to arrive at Weardale on a day we had snow there).

Possibly from another thread on this forum??

[b]@Idris
, Loving this thread. keep up the good work.
ski holidays
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
"No, it was Pascal"

Oh yeah, people work hard behind the scenes so we can ski. Thanks to you and all of them. Especially the Pascals.

I always enjoy your turn of phrase, @Scooter in Seattle - very well put!
ski holidays
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
"No, it was Pascal"

The first and seccond were made by Montaz Mautino of Grenble the third by Montagner of Annecy - this is the one I was fixing.
latest report
DixieDean wrote:
A steal then. Though I'm not sure why someone would ski there as opposed La Praz, Les Gets, Les Carroz or Morillon. Much larger areas and not that far away.

The main one localy is Price - the family can ski for less than the price of one day pass in a larger resort! For many of the locals this would be the difference between skiing weekly or skiing once or twice a year!
snow report
@brianatab, I may have posted it elsewhere, it's so long ago now I can't even begin to put a date on it but it is more than 10 years.
latest report
@Pejoli, you are too kind. My wife not so much; she says "don't encourage him"!
snow conditions
I've skied in Romme because I had already tried all the other resorts around it. Ideally there would be a Bargy pass to also allow Mt Sax and Reposoir.

For locals these small places are amazing. Ours is even smaller than Le Reposoir and not often open, but when it is we make sure we go and give bigger places a pass - why drive far when you can enjoy it all at your doorstep?
latest report
I can see the attraction. Wish we had one on my local hill!
snow report
I spent a week doing smaller resorts in the area about 10 years ago. Praz de Lys was then about Euro 14 a day I seem to remember. Very cheap.
snow report
With the big melt (rain + warm temps) it was time to close runs

But was too warm, so I closed up the whole lower mountain, only closing one of our 5 lifts, but closing 1/2 our skiable area

A few days later I had a derail alarm on my lift, the cable hadn't actually come off. But the small rubber wheel that runs on the cable and activates the switch that tells you this had bounced over the side of the cable !

It was the uphill side of tower one, as you can see it's not a bit tower. But there is no ladder built into it, it was made in 1959 and I'm wearing ski boots. So a pain in the back bottom to climb and quite an aerial trick to get to the reset switch on the back of the leaver arm!

Today.... Snows back

snow report
Mmm. That does look nice. snowHead
snow conditions
@Idris, great stuff, keep it coming!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Mmm. That does look nice. snowHead

Cant disagree with Pam - much better than without the snow Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy