Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best small resort for young family and general snow sports?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello there

1st time poster but I know my way around the Alps ski wise!

So looking to take my family skiing, decided that we are driving, and kids will be 6/5/3 so I was looking at smaller less expensive resorts where they can do a few mornings having lessons (older 2) and then spend the rest of the day sledgin, tobogganing, ringos etc. Just general fun on the slopes to introduce them before in a few year getting them up to some ‘proper’ resorts!

Winterberg/centreparcs seems to tick a lot of boxes but has anyone got any other suggestions? Germany generally seems to be the more appealing and we’re not too fussed about staying in a ski resort but would be preferable, I’ve done the Pyrenees, Alps, Austria big resorts but probably not appropriate so I want to look beyond these types of resorts...

Cheers all.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs, @snowball_locks, snowHead France doesn't seem to be on your radar, but Les Saisies would tick some of your boxes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to the forum @snowball_locks,

France I have more experience of, and leaving other countries to those more informed about them Very Happy

Praz de Lys offers a really good mix for your asked requirements. Small, cost effective, very good start point on snow for the ages with really convenient early slopes, along with being one of the closest areas to visit driving in france.
Some good skiing if you want it, compact area to make general family access very easy, very good places to eat, superbly relaxed place to stay.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski3 wrote:
Welcome to the forum @snowball_locks,

Praz de Lys offers a really good mix for your asked requirements. Small, cost effective, very good start point on snow for the ages with really convenient early slopes, along with being one of the closest areas to visit driving in france.

Oh this place does look good actually, have you been? How did you find it, and where did you stay?!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its location is between a few larger well known areas PdS and GM and curious when looking at maps we've driven there from the other areas when staying. Visited about 10 times with two children over the years but not yet stayed.

This link shows it really well and as we find it too https://debeauxlentsdemains.com/un-week-end-en-famille-a-praz-de-lys-sommand/ mostly ignored by conventional route to our market and very much a descreet place to go.

Been there summer too and so fairly familiar with it, genuinely very good for families as you've no need to connect to anywhere but just walk out onto the snow. Son skied it with me more extensively at age 6/7 as quite easy to get around avoiding steeps.

The village is completely on that plateau with the beginner facilities literally next the the centre.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If your driving take a look at Sunweb and Snowtrex websites, the accommodation prices include lift passes and they use a number of lesser known resorts. Superdevoloy, Val Cenis, les Orres etc in France plus plenty of options in Austria and Germany. Some of the accommodation is a drive from the ski areas but I don't think that would be too much of an issue with your requirements.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
welcome to Snowheads @snowball_locks,

For our first ski holiday with our sons who would have been around 6 & 5 to La Clusaz. There is an ice rink - small and suitable for little ones and a pool and of course lots of scope for sledging, building snowmen and snow ball fights Very Happy It's probably the "closest" French resort from Calais and is a real village.

Another option would be Serfaus in Austria. It's driveable in a long day, but as a resort it's intended to be child friendly. There are quite a few reports on Snowheads on Serfaus.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball_locks wrote:
Hello there

1st time poster but I know my way around the Alps ski wise!

So looking to take my family skiing, decided that we are driving, and kids will be 6/5/3 so I was looking at smaller less expensive resorts where they can do a few mornings having lessons (older 2) and then spend the rest of the day sledgin, tobogganing, ringos etc. Just general fun on the slopes to introduce them before in a few year getting them up to some ‘proper’ resorts!

Winterberg/centreparcs seems to tick a lot of boxes but has anyone got any other suggestions? Germany generally seems to be the more appealing and we’re not too fussed about staying in a ski resort but would be preferable, I’ve done the Pyrenees, Alps, Austria big resorts but probably not appropriate so I want to look beyond these types of resorts...

Cheers all.

We first went with the kids when they were 5 and 2 (nearly 3). Turned out glorious. You don't say at what time of year you want to go. I would advise spring (preferably march). Pro tip: ski in ski out, next to ski school. That makes it expensive or French.

Another pro tip: it's a hard no for Winterberg. Imagine the place as the biggest snowdome in the world. The best there is by a mile or two. But still a snowdome. No magic whatsoever.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Romme (Nancy sur Cluses), Les Habères, Plaine-Joux, Mont Sassonex, Massif des Brasses, Bernex, Parz de Lys, Thollon, Le Semnoz, Le Sambuy.

These are just the ones within an hour or so of Chamonix/Geneva - There are 100+ more in France.

I would consider looking at the Vosges, nearer the UK, less driving.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Idris wrote:
La Romme (Nancy sur Cluses), Les Habères, Plaine-Joux, Mont Sassonex, Massif des Brasses, Bernex, Parz de Lys, Thollon, Le Semnoz, Le Sambuy.

These are just the ones within an hour or so of Chamonix/Geneva - There are 100+ more in France.

I would consider looking at the Vosges, nearer the UK, less driving.

This is a cracking list of lesser known 'resorts'. Granted some are VERY small, but it's always interesting to learn about new areas.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've always had Valmorel in mind for my first ski trip with the little one, it has a nice little high street and some gentle slopes, it's also very picturesque.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for their opinions and experiences, I’m gonna go away and plan a trip now, Sunweb looks a really good website, I quite like the accommodation only approach!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy