Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior ski recommendation 9 and 12 year old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy skis for my kids age 9 (140cm tall boy) and 12 (152cm tall girl)for the first time this year. Both good skiers at “academy” level in the Swiss system. 70% of their time will be on piste, with some forays into powder. Should I buy them GS, SL, RC , all mountain? Any specific model recommendations welcome. They have junior racing boots from Head stiffness of 50. Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best to ask their coach, I think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to the Forum.

How many weeks do they typically get in a season - which determines whether buying is a sensible option (given they will regularly need longer skis)? Renting allows choosing the Ski to suit the conditions and allows swapping.

I know next to nothing about children's skis - but which type of ski is an interesting question.

If the skis are to be used 30% of the time Off Piste, I think something in the All Mountain category might be the way to go. I would look at skis that are still great On Piste, while being a little wider than a Piste Ski (so narrower end of AM).

It may come down to the preference of each child and what plays to their strengths/style.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They will ski around 12 weeks a year - we live in Switzerland Very Happy , so buying makes sense especially when comparing the price of last seasons skis online to Swiss rental costs
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tr1973 wrote:
They will ski around 12 weeks a year - we live in Switzerland Very Happy , so buying makes sense especially when comparing the price of last seasons skis online to Swiss rental costs

I thought that might be the case.

Maybe asking their Coach is the best answer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:

Maybe asking their Coach is the best answer.

This. You may get some well-informed responses from parents who've been in a similar situation and know how the Swiss system works. But their coach will know for sure. If they're in a club, is there a second hand market through the club? That could save you money and/or open up the possibility of 2 pairs which might be justified when the expectation is 12 weeks in a season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are the kids members of a club? Race or Free Style?
Or are you just skiing 12 weeks as a family?
I’m guessing the latter or you wouldn’t be asking the question.
It then depends on what they are trying to achieve, just having fun and improving over time or working hard on their technique.
Your answers will dictate what skis you buy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, they ski with family so no club and no racing. Just some decent skis that will really push their technique and allow some fun occasionally off piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally I’d go old school and get them both a pair of GS skis, by skiing everywhere on the mountain on them, it will make them better skiers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at what Glisshop has in advanced AM category: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski/pack-ski-bindings/kid/advanced-expert/?facetFilters%5Bf_488466%5D%5BGLIS_CHAR_SKI_CATEGORY_7137%5D=1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the end I went for these from xspo - Head Worldcup iRace Team SLR Pro

First day out today and feedback was colours are cool!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy