Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pass sanitaire for ski lifts in France

Poster: A snowHead
James the Last wrote:
Judwin wrote:
And whilst I do "own" a passport (obvs), I've no intention of carrying it with me on the piste or out to bars/resturaunts.

Under French law you are required to carry proof of identity with you at all times. Or produce it at a police station within four hours of the demand. So no Frenchman will be surprised to be asked to produce his identity card on the piste. More info here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/local-laws-and-customs

Yes I know. The UK is unusual in not having "Ausweiss Bitte" laws - although Section 25 of Pace Shocked . However, IMV the risk of losing or having a passport stolen is much higher than the risk of a Gendarme demanding on the spot ID.

They're usually satisfied with a bank card in your name, and if not then a YTFC photo season ticket has always worked in the past. This season, as a I said, I'll have a photo of my passport on the back of the NHS QR code too. Never had the 4 hour thing, but that's fine too if they insist.

I've had plenty of run in's with the French (and other) police - I'm also a military plane spotter rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@johnE, mine invariably takes the turning leading to the next valley over, and I only notice once I'm well below it Shocked

Mine always appears so happy as she does so.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I made a credit card size copy of passport and carry that in ski wallet. PLus copy of EHIC. If required I can always produce the real things later.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last wrote:
Judwin wrote:
And whilst I do "own" a passport (obvs), I've no intention of carrying it with me on the piste or out to bars/resturaunts.

Under French law you are required to carry proof of identity with you at all times. Or produce it at a police station within four hours of the demand. So no Frenchman will be surprised to be asked to produce his identity card on the piste.

Same in Switzerland and I would guess many other countries. however the french also have a credit card sized ID card as well as a passport. In Switzerland, my (cc sized) driving license is accepted as valid ID, so on the basis that I'm not at the beach in my Speedos and always have my credit cards and phone with me, it's really no hassle. I also really don't see the hassle of wearing a mask in lift queues and on enclosed lifts, compared to the hassle of the resorts being closed.

The UK has some funny ideas. An aversion to carrying ID, clunky paper driving licenses (do they still exist?) and bizarre attitudes to making minimal concessions to get on with life during a pandemic that has cost millions of jobs, money and lives.

The poster who doesn't carry ID, I'm wondering if they don't carry cards either and slap their pockets saying "sorry no cash" when it's their round. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@adithorp, that would not surprise me and would also perhaps be contributing to lowered admissions, etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
colinstone wrote:
I made a credit card size copy of passport and carry that in ski wallet. PLus copy of EHIC. If required I can always produce the real things later.

For anyone with an Irish passport you can get a credit card sized passport card that allows travel in the EU. Not sure if there is something similar in the UK. Just back from New York and every restaurant it was Vaccination Cert plus photo ID to sit down. Driving licence was was fine. I get the sense that we will all need to be carrying photo ID and vaccination certs when travelling in order not to be caught out and to cater for different local rules and interpretations thereof.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad to hear driving license is acceptable. I never carry my passport around on holiday, but mostly have a wallet.

Transferring the license to the wallet containing Euros is easy enough.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder if they would accept my Bus Pass as photo id? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snoozeboy wrote:
James the Last wrote:
Judwin wrote:

Under French law you are required to carry proof of identity with you at all times. Or produce it at a police station within four hours of the demand. So no Frenchman will be surprised to be asked to produce his identity card on the piste.

Same in Switzerland and I would guess many other countries. however the french also have a credit card sized ID card as well as a passport. In Switzerland, my (cc sized) driving license is accepted as valid ID, so on the basis that I'm not at the beach in my Speedos and always have my credit cards and phone with me, it's really no hassle. I also really don't see the hassle of wearing a mask in lift queues and on enclosed lifts, compared to the hassle of the resorts being closed.

What happens in CH if you don't have a passport (as in have never applied for one because you don't travel abroad), and don't have a driving license (as in haven't taken/passed your test)? Presumably there must be some kind of Govt issued (photo?) ID card that every citizen/subject is issued with? It's that (photo) ID card we don't have in the UK. Sure we have National Insurance Numbers, NHS numbers, Tax numbers and a myriad of other numbers, but few people know these off the top of their heads.

If the police suspect you of committing an offence in the UK, then you can be arrested/detained if the police officer isn't happy with the name, rank and serial number (actually name, address, DOB and home address) you give them. Section 25 of PACE. Most of the time they will just radio in to check the name & address are valid, but if they have suspicions you're lying to them you'll be off down the nick until they are satisfied you are who you say you are. Happens a lot in those Police Camera Action type programs - usually when someone is fibbing and pretending to be the owner of the car, rather than a "friend/relative" of the owner driving the car with no license, insurance etc.

If the gendarme won't accept a scan/print of your passport, and demands to see the real thing then they must be really suspicious of what you're doing. If you're really up to no good, giving you 4 hours to "get down the station" would just give a criminal a 4 hour head start to do a runner.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timc wrote:
I wonder if they would accept my Bus Pass as photo id? Puzzled

Easyjet do for internal flights from (say) Bristol to Edinburgh. Not quite the same as a police man agreed, but all the police are really trying to do is establish that the person stood in-front of them have given their real name.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There’s actually no legal requirement for Swiss nationals in Switzerland to own or carry ID - and I believe foreigners only have to own, not carry.

Do French authorities usually accept driving licences? Germans often don’t but I’d rather not carry my passport either.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/local-laws-and-customs says that ID "can be a passport, a photo driving licence or other documentation provided by a government body" but in the same paragraph, it links to a French page which declares that "For a stay of up to 90 days, the foreigner must present a passport [...]". I imagine a passport would be required by authorities and I hope that venues and lift queues might be content with driving licences. The checking app doesn't say what sort of ID should be used to validate the Covid certificate.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never having had the need to change my old paper driving licence I'm beginning to wonder if that's a mistake as I really don't like skiing with my passport
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevew, It's a formality to get a new photo license. Not sure of the current times, but would expect it to be back before Christmas.
Worth applying for if you intend skiing this season.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LittleRos wrote:
There’s actually no legal requirement for Swiss nationals in Switzerland to own or carry ID - and I believe foreigners only have to own, not carry.

I bow to your superior knowledge re the Swiss, but for foreigners I was told by the rozzers that pulled me over and fined me for crossing a solid white line in the road on a bicycle, that it was mandatory for me to carry ID. Whether that was because I am a foreigner, I didn't ask.

Following the Swiss unwritten law, if it isn't mandatory to carry ID, then I guess it must be forbidden.

Anyway, my point was that the Swiss have ID cards (since the 90s apparently) and they carry them, without fuss. They wear masks in lift queues, they get vaxed, they accept vax passports to go to places. And last year they also had a ski season.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 24-11-21 20:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
Never having had the need to change my old paper driving licence I'm beginning to wonder if that's a mistake as I really don't like skiing with my passport

Are the old paper licence not invalid nowadays?
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
stevew wrote:

Nope - still valid. I don’t have a photo license either.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
stevew wrote:

As long as you've had no need to change it then, no, still legit.
snow conditions
Still valid as long as you haven’t moved house or had any points since March 2000 & are under 70.
Fair to say that’s a small pool
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
Still valid as long as you haven’t moved house or had any points since March 2000 & are under 70.

Small pool of 6 million, according to a website I read recently. That's 5,999,999 plus me! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
It's a formality to get a new photo license. Not sure of the current times, but would expect it to be back before Christmas.Worth applying for if you intend skiing this season.
I read fairly recently that the DVLA is still apparently blaming covid rolling eyes for a current five month Shocked delay in processing replacement licences. So send your old one in now and the photo ID version may be received in time for use late season in a high altitude resort...

I used my paper licence no bother (as previously) for Salzburg Airport car hire earlier this month. Had an International Driving Permit as backup but it wasn't requested.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:

Nope - The paper license is still valid providing your name and address are correct, and you are under 70. Convictions aren't recorded on it any more - that stopped on 8th June 2015.

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/24/advice-for-motorists-with-paper-driving-licences-how-theyll-be-affected-when-the-counterparts-abolished/

Your "small pool" is around 7 million (in 2015) according to DVLA, which is close to 20% of all UK drivers (36 million).
snow report
snoozeboy wrote:

Anyway, my point was that the Swiss have ID cards (since the 90s apparently) and they carry them, without fuss. They wear masks in lift queues, they get vaxed, they accept vax passports to go to places. And last year they also had a ski season.

It’s true that 'proper' Swissies don’t have to carry ID (though the vast majority do, as it makes life easier). For us immigrants though, it’s dead easy, as everyone has a residence permit with photo and biometric info. It’s credit card sized, so no problem to carry, but again, it’s not compulsory to have it on your person at all times.

For tourists, passport highly recommended. And yes, we had a season last year, but we're straying off topic.
ski holidays
And back on topic, or mostly anyway,

Pass Sanitaire: checks to be reinforced, test validity down to 24 hours from 72h, "booster" jabs available for everyone (notably, appointment rate for additional jabs doubled in a week, which is excellent).
snow conditions
If that's the case and they apply it to ski lifts, that's us out for Les Menuires on the 11th. With two 12-15yos, I could put up with a 72 hour testing window but no way daily.
My kids would be well p@ssed off given everything they'd had to put up with over the last two years. It seems chronically unfair that their triple vaccinated (and could prove it) grandparents could go skiing without restrictions, whilst they (at tiny personal risk to covid) cannot.
ski holidays
Just curious is this something that has been formerly announced, or a prediction of where things are headed?

under a new name wrote:
And back on topic, or mostly anyway,

Pass Sanitaire: checks to be reinforced, test validity down to 24 hours from 72h, "booster" jabs available for everyone (notably, appointment rate for additional jabs doubled in a week, which is excellent).
snow conditions
@RCM, wot the gov spox said yesterday formal announce today
snow report
@snowhound, blame your government. No-one else in Europe has this issue, afaik …
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you. I suspect that is going to put a whole lot more British tourists off.72hrs was just about ok, 24 hrs is going to be a total pain.
under a new name wrote:
@RCM, wot the gov spox said yesterday formal announce today
latest report
@under a new name, I blame them entirely! Although I do question the entire principle behind vaccine passports (given the limited effect vaccines have on transmission), it is each country's right to make its own decisions and at least they are being applied consistently to both nationals and foreign tourists. It is UK's fault for not keeping up.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 25-11-21 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The 24hr thing not a done deal yet. Should find out in the press conference at 11:30GMT.
snow conditions
24 testing would be a bit of a PITA, but something that I would be prepared to do if required. I'll only have 1 kid in that bracket by the time we go skiing.

I'm still holding out hope that even that won't be required if he can access his covid status (as per my lengthly post in the 'taking teenagers skiing' thread).
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, 72 hour testing would be 'a bit' of a PITA. Daily would be a huge PITA with the hassle of getting a test each day, getting the pass validated daily .....an hour a day of time minimum. And around 150 euros each too for the week.
snow report
@snowhound, I was staring down the barrel of having to get 3 teens tested every 72 hours. The older 2 will now be fully jabbed before we go, so it's basically the same cost/time but spread out over 6 days.
snow conditions
if it is 24hr then I am out. You would think the ski resorts would see that this will have massive impact on them as they will not be losing 1 UK teen but the entire UK family, you would think they would do something like a day pass & day test package for say 50E
ski holidays
We have two teenagers, 13 and 15, and I really hope it will be sufficient for them to do an antigen test every 72 hours. Even if my 15 year old was to get a 2nd dose before we go to France at Christmas, there is currently no way for him to prove that he has had a second dose, as he won't get a QR code.
latest report
Whilst this does not help on the ski lifts, or going into restaurants I was interested to be told by my hotel in Morzine that they would check my child's test negative test on arrival and that was ALL that would be required for the week. That would allow her access to pool, restaurant etc etc. The Grande Pharmacie in Morzine currently charges 25eur for an antigen test - like the other posters I can cope doing that every 72hrs, but every day is another matter.
snow report
Oldest one now fully jabbed but 13 yr old only had one with no prospect of another before feb half term. Daily queuing at a town chemist in Italy for an expensive LFT sounds like a bit of a potential show stopper...:-<
latest report
I am getting slightly lost on this. I think that not 24/72 hr test is required if I have the booster jab and it shows on my NHS app. Is that correct?
snow report
Motherofthree wrote:
We have two teenagers, 13 and 15, and I really hope it will be sufficient for them to do an antigen test every 72 hours. Even if my 15 year old was to get a 2nd dose before we go to France at Christmas, there is currently no way for him to prove that he has had a second dose, as he won't get a QR code.

In Scotland you can get children's status and a QR code via NHS Inform website, so not sure why it is still not possible in England?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy