Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pass sanitaire for ski lifts in France

Poster: A snowHead
Jonny996 wrote:

Does this mean that those of a less honorable manner could buy their teens ski pass now before the need for the pass sanitaire comes into force?

They could but I don't think there can be any direct link between purchase of lift pass and the pass sanitaire. I have my season pass and I will need to have 3 different QR codes downloaded for my trips this winter plus "The protocol provides for checks on people in the sales areas of ski lift operators, in ski lessons, as well as in the ski area".
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has anyone found anywhere in the UK to buy AFNOR 2 certified neckwarmers?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
adithorp wrote:
AIUI, post 1stNov NHS app generated QR codes work with the various euro scan apps so you shouldn't need the TAC app. A downloaded copy of the NHS QR code will do just the same (and several people on here have tested it successfully).

Is there any indication of how the lift companies will implement this? Requiring everyone to present when buying their pass seems impractical; no multiple purchases and how would they deal with online. Will it be checked at first use or just random checks?

Just one resort, but suggests an approach of "trust and verify":

https://lesmenuires.com/en/covid
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
May I suggest printing out the QR code from your pass sanitaire, laminating it, then carrying around your neck like an old fashioned skipass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowhound, couldn't agree more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
May I suggest printing out the QR code from your pass sanitaire, laminating it, then carrying around your neck like an old fashioned skipass.
I was thinking along those lines as well, but wondered whether they'd want to see it on the phone. Otherwise what's to stop everyone copying and printing a(ny) valid barcode?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
re drag lifts, Les 3 Vallees have told me that masks will be required on those as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do the certified masks, buffs etc actually have any kind of visible indication of their compliance level? FFP2 are available in Boots, but it's not clear if they have a label or printed certification. If not, as long as it looks like a mask (or has an obvious filter) and doesn't have a valve you'd surely have to remove them in order to be inspected, hence they won't bother?

Are we sure the blue surgical masks are not suitable for the AFNOR standard? If normal surgical masks are OK then seems as though those Boots ones would be fine (as FFP2 is better than AFNOR I).

Seems a bit close to be ordering anything over from the continent now.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wibble44 wrote:
johnE wrote:
I was thinking along those lines as well, but wondered whether they'd want to see it on the phone. Otherwise what's to stop everyone copying and printing a(ny) valid barcode?

They can ask for ID to check the code is yours.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

As to having the barcode on multiple phones.

My experience in France over the weekend was that printed qr codes were fine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE Good to hear. Definitely easier than fishing for phones in pockets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:

^^^This.

My intention is to scan and print out the main page of my passport and print it on the back of the NHS QR code, then laminate the lot. I'm going to put it QR code outward in one of those elasticated arm ski pass holders that we used to use when lift passes still had photos on, but didn't have RFID or scanner capability.

I can't use PS directly - I don't own a mobile 'phone. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Judwin wrote:
johnE wrote:

^^^This.

My intention is to scan and print out the main page of my passport and print it on the back of the NHS QR code, then laminate the lot. I'm going to put it QR code outward in one of those elasticated arm ski pass holders that we used to use when lift passes still had photos on, but didn't have RFID or scanner capability.

I can't use PS directly - I don't own a mobile 'phone. Madeye-Smiley

What you want is an american football playcalling wrist guard. It has an outer window which is velcro'd down to show 2x inner windows. All waterproof.
The Covid cert would need to be A5, so may be quite bulky as the pass has to show your details, vaccines, dates, etc. as well as just being able to give a QR reader a tick.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@iainm, that's odd as the prefect very clearly said they would not, if single occupancy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I can't use PS directly - I don't own a mobile 'phone

And why would you take one skiing with you anyway?
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Well yes, exactly. And whilst I do "own" a passport (obvs), I've no intention of carrying it with me on the piste or out to bars/resturaunts. The only other photo ID I've got is an old Yeovil Town season ticket - although that has managed to get me into some surprising places before now Very Happy

When printed out on A4 paper, each NHS QR code measures 35mmx35mm. The panel containing the QR code and all the human readable guff is 125mmx92mm. It'll fit in one of the old style arm lift pass holders. I'm expecting random lifties to point some kind of phone based scanner at the QR code and as long as it pings green, I'm on my way. Can't see them checking photo ID to confirm the QR code data matches the photo of the person presenting it, and I won't even have to take my gloves off to present it.

Nothing to stop me printing out multiple copies and stashing some in other pockets, in my wallet (with my YTFC season ticket), or with my ski insurance documents should some stroppy rozzer want to see the whole thing.
ski holidays
@Judwin, I did once have my passport with while skiing - it fell out of my pocket somewhere on the piste and I lost it.
latest report
Judwin wrote:

The only other photo ID I've got is an old Yeovil Town season ticket - although that has managed to get me into some surprising places before now

Including Huish Park Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

How do you relocate your wife when she gets lost? Puzzled
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

How do you relocate your wife when she gets lost? Puzzled

Find me a wife and I'll work something out snowHead

How did it work before you had a mobile phone? If you're looking for me, there are only so many mountain bars in any one resort. Look in the one closest to where you lost me. Chances are I'll be in there. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

How do you relocate your wife when she gets lost?

She is an adult and can find her way home. Normally we would wait at the bottom of the run. I cannot remember ever using a mobile phone to locate her.
latest report
Reuters are reporting we've predictably passed the 200/100,000 milestone Mad I'm assuming the resorts will now start advising PS is required for lift tickets.

For anyone interested, I emailed Flaine tourist info yesterday regarding testing provision in the resort and they anticipate testing will be possible at the Pharmacy at Forum but they don't open until the resort does on 11th Dec, so no further info available.

Failing that they did mention the nearest other test site being Cluses. What is clear, there isn't a ready-made solution in the Grand Massif yet so there is going to be a time to implement one.
snow conditions
@RichieC43, 184/100k per my local radio, lift operators loins being girded.
ski holidays
@johnE, mine invariably takes the turning leading to the next valley over, and I only notice once I'm well below it Shocked
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@RichieC43, 184/100k per my local radio, lift operators loins being girded.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/france/
snow report
@RichieC43, I'm not doubting what RTRS said, just relating what Radio Mont Blanc said this morning. I think I trust my local source more, but in this case it's pretty irrelevant, will be over 200/100k in a day or so.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Not being stuck on a chairlift overnight (it's happened).
Being able to call emergency services in the event of an accident to you or someone else.
Knowing where you are in a white out.
Agreeing a change of plan to meet up.
Keeping in touch with someone who has got lost.

Adequate mobile phones are cheap. I can't see a reason for not having one on the slopes.
ski holidays
Case numbers are dramatically on the rise now, over 30k though could be affected by the weekend?

But many departments now well over 200.

What will the picture be in another week or so?

All depends on hospitalisation figures.

Will French Govt try a flash lockdown in advance of the hols, unlike Austria France Vax numbers are similar to UK?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Being able to call emergency services in the event of an accident to you or someone else.

Adequate mobile phones are cheap. I can't see a reason for not having one on the slopes.

True story. Friend of mine took a wrong turn in fog on way back to our lodgings and ended up going down a walking trail on skis. It was that really thick inversion fog so you couldn't see very far.

The rest of us had all finished skiing and back home when he called to say he was totally lost. Also he couldn't explain where he was. It was the days before iphones, but fortunately his Nokia had a GPS so he sent us the coordinates. Turns out he had skiied below our chalet on some walking trails into a forest and was now sitting cold in the fog and now dark. Calling us to say he was lost was a last resort because of all the slagging he would (and did) get.

Without a phone he would have been overnighting on the mountain and we would have been calling a search party with absolutely no clue where to look. Each to their own but I'd be inclined to see a charged phone as a safety device.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@RichieC43, I'm not doubting what RTRS said, just relating what Radio Mont Blanc said this morning. I think I trust my local source more, but in this case it's pretty irrelevant, will be over 200/100k in a day or so.

ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
Timc wrote:
Informative article here from Le Dauphine about Covid protocols on mask wearing and pass sanitaire in the mountains this season https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2021/11/22/protocole-sanitaire-dans-nos-stations-ou-faudra-t-il-porter-le-masque I always use the google translate for articles like these here
https://www-ledauphine-com.translate.goog/societe/2021/11/22/protocole-sanitaire-dans-nos-stations-ou-faudra-t-il-porter-le-masque?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui

Does this mean that those of a less honorable manner could buy their teens ski pass now before the need for the pass sanitaire comes into force?

I imagine they would check the pass sanitaire after you have bought it as well as at regular intervals?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-11-21 10:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

What will the picture be in another week or so?

All depends on hospitalisation figures.

Will French Govt try a flash lockdown in advance of the hols, unlike Austria France Vax numbers are similar to UK?

Vax numbers by French definition, incl. recovery + 1 jab, much better than uk, ~88% >12 y.o. I am not sure the French will tolerate any sort of new lockdown (other than local curfews, maybe). (Flash lockdowns don't seem to work anyway). Either vaccines work, or we're all screwed.
snow report
@under a new name, found hospitalisation figures.

France 8525 vs UK 8088 with UK still running at 42k cases, is this the AZ effect the medja are now hyping in the UK?

Sweepstake on what French numbers will be by the end of the week?

Also see that Macron and Govt are meeting to discuss next steps.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Fifth-Covid-wave-Ministers-to-meet-what-measures-could-France-take
latest report
Motherofthree wrote:
I imagine they would check the pass sanitaire after you have bought it as well as at regular intervals?
They will have to. You can buy a liftpass online (or recharge an old one) so don't need to go anywhere near a ticket office to get on the mountain. Logically, I would expect compulsory checks at all entry point (resort level) lifts but then none on secondary (higher) lifts that can only be accessed via a first lift.
latest report
@Raceplate, It seems to me that there may be a facility (as can happen with season passes) for the lift gate system to flag unchecked passes, so that "new" passes can be checked on physical purchase and online purchases can have the flag added.

It does seem to me that Macron et al., ought to be considering removing testing and infection recovery from the PS system ...
snow report
I would expect they will just make all pre bought cards etc invalid until they have been verified. That is what I have seen reported in Austria, although last week at Hintertux they were handing out wrist bands to prove you had been checked, what could possibly go wrong.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, that would suit me fine Happy
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Vax numbers by French definition, incl. recovery + 1 jab, much better than uk, ~88%...

I heard report last night that studies suggest, 95% UK pop' are have antibodies.
ski holidays
rzer wrote:
achilles wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

True story. Friend of mine took a wrong turn in fog on way back to our lodgings and ended up going down a walking trail on skis. It was that really thick inversion fog so you couldn't see very far.

The rest of us had all finished skiing and back home when he called to say he was totally lost. Also he couldn't explain where he was. It was the days before iphones, but fortunately his Nokia had a GPS so he sent us the coordinates. Turns out he had skiied below our chalet on some walking trails into a forest and was now sitting cold in the fog and now dark. Calling us to say he was lost was a last resort because of all the slagging he would (and did) get.

Without a phone he would have been overnighting on the mountain and we would have been calling a search party with absolutely no clue where to look. Each to their own but I'd be inclined to see a charged phone as a safety device.

When I worked in Meribel in the 1990s, we had a similar really foggy day. Adult skiing with two kids (not his, all no more than 3 weeks on snow), couldn't find the restaurant they had agreed to meet the rest of the party at. Lifts closed. He took an itinerary back to where they were staying, but got completely lost. We had to call out the emergency services to do search and rescue - pistes recombed, bars checked in resort and lower down in valley (in Brides les Bains!). At midnight they still hadn't been found, and we assumed they would have died. Father was in a right state (wife was in England - explain this situation to her!!!).
About 00:30 we heard over radio that the building to building search carried out by the rescue services had found them. The adult had come across a summer chalet, and broken in. He'd been able to use some tinned food to feed them all, and put the kids to bed and was waiting until morning to 'get home'.
Think of the worry, stress and cost that would have been saved had he been able to ski with a mobile phone.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
And whilst I do "own" a passport (obvs), I've no intention of carrying it with me on the piste or out to bars/resturaunts.

Under French law you are required to carry proof of identity with you at all times. Or produce it at a police station within four hours of the demand. So no Frenchman will be surprised to be asked to produce his identity card on the piste. More info here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/local-laws-and-customs

Plus of course the amusing observation that the wearing of masks in public is illegal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy