Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February or April

Poster: A snowHead
Straw poll: I have 2 choices this year. 1. 5th Feb for a week in Morzine or 2. 2nd April for a week in Val Thorens. 2 vaccinated adults and 2 single vaccinated kids. Concerned about 4th wave in Europe hitting Feb plans as well as issues with unvaccinated kids. Both will be double jabbed by April but are we crazy to miss potentially better snow in Feb as well as avoiding English and most of French half term? Thoughts??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be April in VT for me, but I love the sun. No guarantee of good snow in Morzine in Feb really, though it will obviously be ok up at Avoriaz.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
trmacc wrote:
Straw poll: I have 2 choices this year. 1. 5th Feb for a week in Morzine or 2. 2nd April for a week in Val Thorens. 2 vaccinated adults and 2 single vaccinated kids. Concerned about 4th wave in Europe hitting Feb plans as well as issues with unvaccinated kids. Both will be double jabbed by April but are we crazy to miss potentially better snow in Feb as well as avoiding English and most of French half term? Thoughts??

VT in April for me. Much bigger, higher, better ski resort whatever the stats say. Long April days are great up high. More chance of pow in Feb but Morzine is too low - it could equally be raining.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VT in April vote from me too. Non- snow related benefits would seem to outweigh earlier week in Morzine (much as I love it) and snow is likely to be excellent in early April.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By April, odds of being allowed to get kids double vaccinated and allowed into restaurants etc, are higher.

We have booke Feb half term and I am exceedingly nervous now as to whether we will get there. We would have booked April tbh if eldest was sitting her GCSES soon after…. We may still have done if she hadn’t been excluded for so much of the last 2yrs
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike wrote:
It would be April in VT for me, but I love the sun. No guarantee of good snow in Morzine in Feb really, though it will obviously be ok up at Avoriaz.
oh come on - no guarantee of good snow in February?????? Thats a load of garbage.

I’d go for April in VT purely because the school hols start on the 5th and you’d have double vaccinated kids.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me, definitely VT in April. French hols will have started 5 February and I can't abide lift queues. As for snow, Morzine in February or Val T in April - it's a toss up, really. Both should be OK. From the Covid point of view, it's also a bit of a toss up but perhaps April better than February. April far cheaper for accommodation and for lessons, if anyone is having them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, ahh, that was something I'd forgotten about, we have one doing Nat 5s this year, hadn't factored that in! @pam w, accommodation and ski school costs don't seem that different, I guess as April is Easter holidays. Actually been having a bit of trouble getting lessons booked for Morzine in February, had my eye on teen rider courses (4hrs on 3 days with BASS which seemed like a really good fit for us as a family) but they have no other bookings as yet so course may not run. I assume a lot more people are going to be making last minute decisions. Thanks for all the advice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@trmacc, it could depend on the child. I asked my about it and she is getting very panicky over everything and is adamant she doesn’t want to go anywhere- she is even getting upset about idea of going away for one night to go to a family wedding over the Easter holidays
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
By April, odds of being allowed to get kids double vaccinated and allowed into restaurants etc, are higher.

We have booke Feb half term and I am exceedingly nervous now as to whether we will get there. We would have booked April tbh if eldest was sitting her GCSES soon after…. We may still have done if she hadn’t been excluded for so much of the last 2yrs

Sympathies from me. We have one doing GCSE and have booked Feb HT plus the last week in March/April. We have said the second week is optional or even if she just comes out for a few mornings. And we were just told she will have a second lot of mocks/assessments in late February Shocked

PS I’d go for Morzine personally. I’m sure you can arrange the later week if it doesn’t happen for any reason.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a teacher with a Year 11 daughter and we're going skiing first week or Easter hols. Some things are more important... Very Happy
After the two years they've had, she deserves a break before the GCSE slog. Its more about quality of revision than quantity and a clear week at the end of term will do her good.
There are going to be lots of mitigations still in place for this summer's exams-reduced content, advanced notice of topics, equations in maths/physics etc. And once she's done a year of A Levels, no one will be bothered about whether she got a 6 or a 7 in GCSE Spanish....their significance is pretty overblown to be honest.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, and for the OP...VT in April is great. We've been there every year at Easter (apart from 2020 and 2021 obviously) for 8 years and it has never let us down. Sunny, plenty of snow, much cheaper, less busy...but can still get storms at that times of year which can make it exposed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowhound, this is why we gave her the choice. Personally we all desperately need a break. Work is insane and hasn’t stopped. However the anxiety the idea caused (lockdowns caused her battle with anxiety to spiral out of control and caused depression), to go against those wishes would cause more harm I believe. I just wish there wasn’t so much doubt around Feb half term in France!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowhound, that is very reassuring to know! Here’s hoping we and our teenagers all get out there!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Skimum1, @snowhound, @NickyJ, thank you. Interesting to get perspective from parents with exam age children and to know not the only person with this dilemma. My 15yr old is also quite anxious about missing revision time and the extra classes put on in the Easter holidays (though I am not sure she needs them, and the advantages of a proper break are huge). On balance, I am going to book fully refundable flights (KLM) and accommodation for April but leave my February bookings in place for now. I can cancel them FOC up till 30 days before hand so can make final decision at start of Jan. Hopefully by then we will know if 4th wave is going to cause havoc and how much of a hassle being only single jabbed will be. Leaning towards VT, but another factor is our accommodation in Morzine is a half board hotel and VT would be self catering in Les Balcons - Morzine would maybe be more of a holiday for me. First world problems I know but like the rest of you feel we are all in desperate need of a break.
ski holidays
Quote:

accommodation and ski school costs don't seem that different, I guess as April is Easter holidays.

Ah yes, if you're looking at UK tour operators, that will be the case. But it's low season in France, so for renting apartments, it's far cheaper. But that would mean putting yourself together a "DIY" package, which isn't everybody's cup of tea.
snow conditions
April
latest report
VT April you're guaranteed the 2nd best type of snow "Corn"
maybe even a chance of some pow, deffo slushy bumps. Sunny longer days.
snow report
Quote:

accommodation and ski school costs don't seem that different, I guess as April is Easter holidays.

The OP was talking about going at the start of April, not over Easter. As @pam w, says accommodation will be cheeper in April than in Febuary, but probably only a few hundred euros. If you can drive to Val Thorens then almost all the other costs are pretty much the same - lift passes, fuel, tolls, lift passes, lessons equipment hire, food etc.

Oh - I'd go Val Thorens in April rather than Morzine in Febuary, but remember the factor 50
snow report
Quote:

accommodation will be cheeper in April than in Febuary, but probably only a few hundred euros.

I've just looked at a 2 bedroom apartment in the complex where I had mine. Difference between French school hols and the first week in April is 600 euros (1425/820). Same order of magnitude difference between the lengths of the lift queues. If you do a DIY holiday you also have far greater choice of accommodation with sensible costs - just a price for the week, without all the "supplements" for cramming in fewer than the maximum numbers, which are always a pain with TOs.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
VT April you're guaranteed the 2nd best type of snow "Corn"
maybe even a chance of some pow, deffo slushy bumps. Sunny longer days.

Sure I am in the minority, but I do not particularly enjoy the heat of April skiing, though I like the longer hours to ski. Few years ago in La Plagne rest of my group was delighted to be skiing in Tshirts and sun bathing at lunch time, whilst I was pining for sub zero temperatures and vin chaud. I esp detest slushy lumps which more than any other condition kills my already shonky knees! I had hoped that at the height of VT we would avoid those slushy home runs in the afternoon, but maybe I am wrong?
snow conditions
If the whole covid situation is sorted by then, single jabbed teens and covid passes, our son sitting exams in Apr/May will be only a minor consideration when deciding if we try to go skiing at Easter. I know what his answer would be to "would you rather go skiing or study for two weeks?". Anyway he can take stuff with him, and the Internet is available outside the UK too. He'll also by holidaying with two teachers. Toofy Grin
snow report
April looking more and more likely. Do not fancy marching my 12yr old off for a LFT every day, fingers crossed she will have had 2nd vaccine by April.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy