Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thermoformable liners

Poster: A snowHead
Just got a new pair of Atomic Hawx Magna 110 boots.
The blurb online says the liners are thermoformable (heel and instep) but there's nothing in the box instruction booklet about how to do that.
Did this a few years back for some tecnica boots so I was thinking 'Cook' liners at 50 (or was it 80) degrees in the oven for 10 minutes or so and then wear them inside the shells for a bit with some cut off sock tips on top of regular ski socks if i want some wiggle room for toes?

Does that sound about right?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it is the new mimic liner you may find this helpful: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/diy-molding-of-mimic-liner.21430/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're calling it a gold liner or gold slipper lining, I dont think these are mimic liners.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Klammertime wrote:
They're calling it a gold liner or gold slipper lining, I dont think these are mimic liners.

I bought the Atomic Hawz from a few years ago which have the Gold Liner (they use Primaloft Gold Insulation)- and it was your own body heat that allows the liner to take the shape. I think it can also be heated - but JoJo, who fitted my Boots, favoured allowing your body heat to form the Liner. He sent you away for a couple of days for this to happen, before he sorted the Custom Footbed.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 18-11-21 11:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK thanks, not sure, the website (snowleader) says its a 21/22 model boot with gold liner. This is them - https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/hawx-magna-110-black-dark-blue-ATOM01099.html
I only paid about half what they're asking now a few weeks ago. Thinking I got a bargain. Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 17-11-21 18:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Klammertime wrote:

I bought the Atomic Hawz from a few years ago have the Gold Liner (the use Primaloft Gold Insulation)- and it was your own body heat that allows the liner to take the shape. I think it can also be heated - but JoJo, who fitted my Boots, favoured allowing your body heat to form the Liner. He sent you away for a couple of days for this to happen, before he sorted the Custom Footbed.

There is a mimic gold liner in the 110 this year - but I am not familiar with it - what I have heard somewhere else and I think it was a podcast with Matt Manser who is the Global Product Manager for Atomic boots is the Mimic liner in the Ultra 130 needs to be baked - body heat alone will not do the trick as was the case with "breaking in" the old liners

Edit: Just checked and looks like yours is non-mimic
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
barracuda wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Klammertime wrote:

I bought the Atomic Hawz from a few years ago have the Gold Liner (the use Primaloft Gold Insulation)- and it was your own body heat that allows the liner to take the shape. I think it can also be heated - but JoJo, who fitted my Boots, favoured allowing your body heat to form the Liner. He sent you away for a couple of days for this to happen, before he sorted the Custom Footbed.

There is a mimic gold liner in the 110 this year - but I am not familiar with it - what I have heard somewhere else and I think it was a podcast with Matt Manser who is the Global Product Manager for Atomic boots is the Mimic liner in the Ultra 130 needs to be baked - body heat alone will not do the trick as was the case with "breaking in" the old liners

I don't doubt you. I suppose it comes down to which Liner is in his Boot.....Which I see has now been answered.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When breaking these in for the 'memory fit', can I just wear the liners around the house or do they need to be in the shells too to get the custom fit?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
darn it, ellis brigham say the shells and liners can be oven heated for fitting. Puzzled https://www.ellis-brigham.com/atomic-hawx-magna-110-s-men-s-ski-boots-2021-701014
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Klammertime wrote:
When breaking these in for the 'memory fit', can I just wear the liners around the house or do they need to be in the shells too to get the custom fit?

If I had to guess - and that is what it would be - the Liners need to be in the Boots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To clarify I have the Hawx Magna 110 S, so the first snowleader link i put up in post 5 is the wrong boot, oops.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the shells fit don't bother with the oven stuff. Body heat will be enough to shape the liners. IME baking liners is only really necessary in an attempt to "refluff" them to marginally extend lifespan.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did do the heating of both liners and shells, with some neuropathy in my feet to deal with getting a good fit to maintain warmth and circulation well is extra important balanced against good control of ones skis!
100 degrees for 10 minutes for both. Liners first, wore those whilst shells were heating. No burns thankfully. Did the shells reshape? - who knows but gave it until they cooled down fully before taking them off.
I could not get them on from new yesterday, was a bit worried but after the heating they went on really easy, a wee minder to use boot warmers in the chalet if they have them or if skiing up here in scotland leave them in the car footwell with heat, makes life in the mornings so much easier. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Klammertime, I have found that I have to put my liners on (laced up) and then put the shells on - no idea why, but it's the only way that these boots go on!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oui4ski wrote:
@Klammertime, I have found that I have to put my liners on (laced up) and then put the shells on - no idea why, but it's the only way that these boots go on!

My liners dont have laces, never had liners with laces. Anyway will maybe try that method if boots are stubborn to get on. Taking liners out of shells is not something I ever did in the old days, not sure why, seems I spent years skiing in boots that were too big. Went to a fitter a few years ago and he told me I should be in size 27 boots, have spent most of my skiing in 28, 28.5 or even 29s, I think because of the issue of getting into them.
snow report
I think that many ski boots have been sold (and continue to be sold) for a "very comfortable fit" which usually involves a loose fit from a shell a couple of sizes too big!

From memory, the length of your foot from tip of big toe to back of heel in centimetres is your mondo size (so 27cm could be your foot measurement) - before taking foot width, arch height and instep height into account (some shops may sell you larger boots to accommodate a high instep, possibly because they don't always have models with a shell shape to match your foot shape).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy