Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bamboo poles - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and the only ski thing that I haven’t renewed recently are my poverty aluminium poles which are now a bit scratched and bent so I thought new poles!

So with COP21 ongoing I thought what better virtue signalling that getting some bamboo ones (just don’t mention the flight I will take to get to the slopes!)

So has anyone got real experience of bamboo poles that justify what seems more expense than alu or composite poles. Ive seen some brands (grass sticks) offer a lifetime guarantee but they are in the US. Poleplant has got a mention here but have very little stock at the mo. There are some big brands also doing them but hard to find in the UK

Also I notice that despite the higher price point the grips on the bamboo poles seem your bog standard ones rather than the more premium ones.

Any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they are decent enough and durable judging by folks in the US and their grasssticks. They do seem a bit hipster and "look at me" so if that's your vibe I'd say go for it - I assume you've already got the waxed moustache with the curls on the end.

My experience of poles is you can have tough (poverty alu) or light (carbon/composite) but not both at the same time. That and user error will break most things so I'd imagine it's still possible to smash a tip off or whatever.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought a set from Pole Plant - season 1 great, I then left them in my apartment over the summer and over that period they cracked and split (I suspect the environment was too dry). To ski with they are heavy and Dave makes some good points re hipster etal, to that point I tend to take them telemarking only. To be honest my regular poles are superior in everyway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For hipsters and virtue signalling bamboo is bang on message, but when you poke a little deeper into how its grown, harvested and processed you'll see it's pretty harmful too. https://www.euronews.com/green/2020/11/30/bamboo-eco-friendly-fabric-or-environmental-disaster
As its not being used as a fabric for poles, the environmental impact of its processing is not a factor, but the destruction of habitats and forests and reduction of bio-diversity are still problematic.
Better to just keep using your existing poles unless they are no longer serviceable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charliee wrote:
I bought a set from Pole Plant - season 1 great, I then left them in my apartment over the summer and over that period they cracked and split (I suspect the environment was too dry). To ski with they are heavy and Dave makes some good points re hipster etal, to that point I tend to take them telemarking only. To be honest my regular poles are superior in everyway.

I have seen that some sellers take about giving them a coat of linseed oil which wouldnt be a hardship as need to do that to the cricket bats anyway so could do that at the same time with one coming out while the other is going away for the season.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I assume you've already got the waxed moustache with the curls on the end.
But it doesnt sound like I have the right credentials to pull it off, and if they are not on parity with regular poles, I guess its back to the old aluminium until they bend too much or snap.

I would have thought that @clarky999, would have got onto these by now after starting with the bamboo toothbrushes. Happy birthday BTW.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
I have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and the only ski thing that I haven’t renewed recently are my poverty aluminium poles which are now a bit scratched and bent so I thought new poles!

So with COP21 ongoing I thought what better virtue signalling that getting some bamboo ones (just don’t mention the flight I will take to get to the slopes!)

So has anyone got real experience of bamboo poles that justify what seems more expense than alu or composite poles. Ive seen some brands (grass sticks) offer a lifetime guarantee but they are in the US. Poleplant has got a mention here but have very little stock at the mo. There are some big brands also doing them but hard to find in the UK

Also I notice that despite the higher price point the grips on the bamboo poles seem your bog standard ones rather than the more premium ones.

Any thoughts?

Really, really retro. I could have sold you a pair complete with metal rings and leather bits for the basket a few years back Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been using some of these (for sale https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233806668971 ) not mine but seem to be trading liquidated stock, Goode carbon ski poles.

Mine about 20 yrs old now and unbelievably tough, resilient and still look good. Given your environmental stance/desire, then a reused item (not recycled/remanufactured ) holds a relatively high ground position in that regard.

Innovation from being the first carbon ski poles and seem to last for ever-ish, they may be of interest with two lengths available on there. A real piece of usable classic ski equipment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski3, thanks. I’ll take a look. I certainly don’t mind second hand, as a fair number of my skis are. Better to reuse than recycle or new. I think I’ve come across mention of that US brand on the old Pugski forums and on US ski sites, not seen them over here before though .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just an update, left the bamboo for the pandas and went for a composite K2 pole from Absolute Snow (bought from them before) and whats not to like for £20.

At least I won’t have to grow my beard out now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i've been skiing with Soul Poles for the last 6-7 years and they've been great. I had them custom fitted and made for me at their shop in Park City, UT. They're very light, very durable, and made from 100% sustainably sourced bamboo. I don't have a beard, and am not remotely a hipster. Full disclosure: my buddy owns a plastics business that makes the handles and baskets. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. https://www.soulpoles.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have some of the PolePlant ones. They are lovely -- light with a nice spring to them. OTOH -- a pair of decent adjustable touring poles is so much more practical. As far as the "look at me" goes, I'm a telemark skier.......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy