Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Briancon to Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
We have flights on 19th February to Turin for family of 4. Apart from the maze of covid testing two teenagers age 15 and 12 every few hours, we are looking at skiing in Montgenevre but staying in Briancon as more affordable accommodation. (Always on a blooming budget).

Does anyone know how easy / convenient it is to travel from Briancon to Montgenevre? We will probably have a hire car so this could be an option as long as parking is easy but a bus would be good option if it’s simple enough.

Also just wondering if it’s simple enough to travel to
France from Italy with all the covid stuff ??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea, but I’ll be there at the same week.

Someone like @NickyJ may be able to offer some advice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not ski in Serre Chevalier if you are staying in Briancon?

There is plenty of parking in Montgenevre, no idea about a bus.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hils68,it will be much easier to ski in Serre Chevalier than to travel to Montgenevre every day. It's about 20-30 minutes by car, up a windy mountain road. I would say it is more of an option for a day out, and I think it is still included on the 6 day lift pass, but it's way more convenient to ski from the Briancon lift into the Serre Chevalier area.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is an option. Friends have recommended Montgenevre so I was looking at that. Can’t find much in the way of 2 bedroom apartments there though - hence Briancon. I hadn’t actually realised it was connected to Serre Eh oh! Eh oh! (foolish me for not looking).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is definitely not a good idea as the road between Briancon and Montgenevre is windy (hairpins). It is the kind of journey that is fine to do at the beginning and end of the week to access a resort but not every day. There is also no public transport between the resorts that would be suitable for skiing. The Resalp bus is every few hours. You would need a hire car.

Le Hameau des Airelles is good value accommodation in Montgenevre. Otherwise I would suggest staying in Briancon and skiing in Serre Chevalier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
@Hils68,it will be much easier to ski in Serre Chevalier than to travel to Montgenevre every day. It's about 20-30 minutes by car, up a windy mountain road. I would say it is more of an option for a day out, and I think it is still included on the 6 day lift pass, but it's way more convenient to ski from the Briancon lift into the Serre Chevalier area.

Thanks for this. That sounds a bit too far to do twice a day. I’ll keep looking around Montgenevre see if there is Something a bit closer. Wil also look at Serre
Now I know where it is Eh oh! Blush
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowymum wrote:
It is definitely not a good idea as the road between Briancon and Montgenevre is windy (hairpins). It is the kind of journey that is fine to do at the beginning and end of the week to access a resort but not every day. There is also no public transport between the resorts that would be suitable for skiing. The Resalp bus is every few hours. You would need a hire car.

Le Hameau des Airelles is good value accommodation in Montgenevre. Otherwise I would suggest staying in Briancon and skiing in Serre Chevalier.

Thank you Eh oh! I will look at both options.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few years ago we rented (Booking.com) a clean apartment in Briancon just in front of the main gondola. Check the ski trails map, lovely area. Everything was nearby, minus walking the steep streets towards the old city (it's a must).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I Live about 20 mins from Briancon, as other of said its a bit of drive to Montgenevre and during the holidays the parking can be a big of a nightmare, there is a small amount of free parking but a lot is paid, it all fills up quick and people end up abandoning the cars at the side of the road.

I would look to stay where you are going ski, serre chevalier is a great place to ski, I am not sure I would stay in Briancon its the lowest of the 4 villages and the run down to it can be lacking in snow (should be alright in Feb) you can get. the ski buss up and down the valley but I would stay in one of the higher villages.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hils68, if you're on a budget, check out my mate's operation in Serre Chevalier, it's literally at the bottom of the road to where I live.

https://www.hucksterslodge.com/budget-ski-holidays/serre-chevalier-ski-holidays/

Feb 19th will be a bonkers busy week, and you will not want to drive too much, once you've arrived at the apartments above, you can leave your car for the week and forget about it whilst watching people stuck in the inevitable jams throughout the valley from 16:30 onwards as they drive back to their accommodation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Regarding Serre Chevalier, most runs on the Briançon side are red. Nothing particularly hard/scary about them but they do have their steep pitches; beginners and lower intermediates might need to use the gondola down. With that in mind, and the fact that the gondola is not in the most charming part of town, Briançon makes for a pretty good cheap skiing base, but if you can find similarly-priced accommodation in one of the other base resorts or in Montgenèvre, it might be a better choice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You just have to love the internet and people giving advice Laughing

@balso, sorry you're wrong, there are green chemins running down to Le Bez and the same from the Aravets and Serre Ratier, how do you think all the little kids ski down, and I know as I've had to endure taking kids down all those routes Laughing

Before the days of snow canon all the beginner areas were at the mid stations of Frejus, Aravet and Serre Ratier and the chemins were the way down, now they link into some blues and reds so as you progress in your week you switch to the more challenging ways of getting down.

In high season Briancon is just too busy at the Prorel lift, that's why the roads are jammed as many drive out of Briancon to avoid the lift queues there and drive to the other stations.

FYI I live in La Salle Les Alpes / Serre Chevalier

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The road between Briancon and Chantermerle is fairly flat and straight, plenty of parking in Chantermerle if you need to start somewhere different for a day or two. Definitely have a day or so at Montegenvre. Maybe the rest of the time just ski from Briancon in Serre chevalier, and do not drive.

There is an easy green which goes down to Chantermerle, which criss crosses the steep run.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bigtipper, and again I know I'm being pedantic, but parking in Chantermerle in that high season week, unless you get there early, you could be looking at 600m+ walk, and if it were to snow, you'd find that hill out of Briancon pass Aldi to be carnage!

Just to put it into perspective, if it's snowing in the morning and I've arranged to meet @KenX to do first lifts it can take him 35mins+ to do what was a 15min journey
latest report
@Weathercam, agreed, if I was staying in Briancon, I think I would get on the lift there rather than brave the traffic in Paris holidays. I still wouldn't be thinking of driving up to Monty though. Parking will be just as much of a nightmare there as Chantemerle.

And now at least KenX will no longer be late for first lifts wink.
ski holidays
@Hils68, just another thought , there's now a public transfer bus direct from Turin airport. https://www.linkbus-alps.com/en/. It goes through Claviere and Montgenevre, then into Briancon and directly up the Serre Chevalier valley to Le Monetier-les-Bains. Last time I booked it for my son it was 25€ or so one way. No problems with parking, just book some accommodation reasonably close to a lift in the resort of your choice.
snow report
@Hils68, following on from Hells Bells comment, have you checked out Claviere? Access to the Montgenevre ski area and may have different accommodation options?
ski holidays
Thank you all. I hadn’t thought of Serre as an option before posting this topic, but think I will now. Will also look at Clavier too. We were looking for a nice east resort close to Turin. Initially I was looking at France on the off chance that the children age 15 and 12 don’t have to do covid test every 48 or 72 hours but I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that this will be part of the holiday. Perhaps a resort where this “testing” facility is easily accessible and lots of them may be sensible. It would be nice to have a place in the evenings to explore or walk about in. Thanks all Blush
snow conditions
Also look at Claviere, a smaller ski village less than a mile down the road from Montgenevre on the same ski circuit, but in Italy. A nice place to stay..
snow conditions
Agreed nought wrong with Claviere did a couple of family holidays there in the hotel by the golf course, think it was Crystal.

Like Serre, I was introduced to it first when doing road trips when staying in La Grave and La Meije was shut.

And last season you could ski there as they did the uplift with snow-mobiles.

Friend is buying an old chalet hotel at 2,000 above Cessna and off the top lift of Clavierre, depending on how refurb work is going we might stay there to avoid Serre Half term high season Very Happy

And of course, Claviere and Cesana have some damn fine restaurants!

Cantina degli Alpini

Grand Bouc

Gallo Cedrone
snow report
If you still need it, this should help:

https://www.autocars-resalp.com/lignes-regulieres/bus/briancon-montgenevre/
ski holidays
....and as @KenX, can attest on my behalf, its a good idea to have chains (or winter tyres) on in the car parks if they are snowy /icy!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@KenX, Thanks for that link, I’ve saved it for a potential trip in Jan.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy