Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where should I ski ?

Poster: A snowHead
I want the most secure, vaccinated only, 3G crowd ...

Austria ?

Italy ?

France seems NG !

US is "free for all" !?

Where to go ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austria! Just announced a 2G rule that will become fully instigated over the next 4 weeks. That will include ski lifts, apparently.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3G?

If you are vax up to date, skiing itself probably exposes you to more risk than your steenky, poxy veeroos.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they are vaccinated, doesn’t that make them 5G?

I saw a good explanation of this on Facebook.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given the rates on the continent are starting to (and will probably continue to) head up, perhaps your title should be 'Where CAN I ski?"......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Orange200, I'm recovered and double jagged, does that make me LTE?

For those unfamiliar with the German, as she eez sprachen, the 2 and 3 G refer to german phrases for vaxxed and recovered.

Which originally (this very morning) I was a bit, que? but now I think I quite like.

Although, I am not entirely convinced that "recovered" is adequate, in and of itself. And is, anyway, difficult to validate in some jurisdictions, esp. if an early infection.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What the hell is 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So what exactly is 2G & 3G ?

And LTE has also gone right over my head…
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ricklovesthepowder, @Marksky, as explained above, the german terms for 2G= vaxxed or recovered, 3G = 2G+tested (which is probably a meaningless exercise).

LTE a sad joke on being in between 3G (virus) and 5G (mobile telecoms).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ischgl
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Talk English please. No abbreviations would help everyone.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@twoodwar, what does ISCHGL stand for? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It’s a by-word for COVID excellence
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ionizingskin, I guess it's in AustroGerman?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@twoodwar, it would seem 2G & 3G is German terminology - not English - though I haven’t got to discover what the G stands for. Presumably it’s spread to wider use in Europe (if not UK?). I think I’d possibly join UaNN in preferring it to the slang term ‘double jabbed’.

And, to be fair, I suspect half of those who might have got the LTE reference would not have recognised it if it had been written in full.
snow conditions
'Global System for Mobile communication'
But I dont think this is the right context though.
2G is quite straight forward just time division multiplex.
3G is a lot more complex, I think the best way to explain it, is to imagine trying to view a scene through a pair of paper dollies.
When you line them up you can see through clearly, but just move it a bit, and you can't.
We do this to nt only mix up the time division but also the channel.
The point is, that mixing it up like this, you can get more traffic in the bandwidth.

5G, I just dont understand it ... I've not met anyone yet who can explain it to me either.
I had better stick to lawns.
ski holidays
Isn't LTE a mobile way of doing voice over IP. Reminds me of when FSA was both Food Standards Agency and Financial Standards Authority! Rambling whilst finishing nice meal in Ambleside, is there a TLA for that.
snow report
Marksky wrote:
@twoodwar, it would seem 2G & 3G is German terminology - not English - though I haven’t got to discover what the G stands for. Presumably it’s spread to wider use in Europe (if not UK?).

It's a simple one. In German the PPP (past participle passive) is formed by adding the prefix "ge-" to the verb in question. Therefore the German expressions for "vaccinated", "recovered" and "tested" (mind the order!) all begin with the letter "G".

Reads as follows:

1G = vaccinated only
2G = vaccinated or recovered (with proof, in Germany valid only for six months, then you need a jab)
3G = vaccinated or recovered or tested
3G+ =vaccinated or recovered or tested by PCR
latest report
So now I understand the G's, I don't think I understand the question. Puzzled
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
So now I understand the G's, I don't think I understand the question. Puzzled
You're right not to, as a 1G entrance requirement is tighter than 3G. 3G lets in tested people in addition to vaccinated people. So the most restrictive place is 1G. And I think restricted is what he wants. I'd say at the moment it's Austria as they have even tightened their "expiration" dates for shots. Not only do you have to be either vaccinated (or recovered in some spots), but it has to be more recently vaccinated. 270 days. If I didn't have my booster I couldn't get in even though I was fully vaccinated before that booster.
snow report
@Tristero, it's a bit weird that this implies functional equivalence between vaccination, infection and testing?

Also, does this mean that the only word one needs to know in Schweizer Deutsch, "genau", actually translates as "understood" rather than, "exactly", as I was once told?
snow report
3G is more permissive. They aren't saying testing is equivalent to vaccination. They are allowing people who've been tested in along with those vaccinated or recovered. Grocery stores are less cozy than bars, so to get into bars you must be vaccinated or recovered, but they will allow the tested folks into less chummy environments.

Of course this doesn't address the fact that the vaccinated can spread the virus even more obliviously than the unvaccinated. So, the need for FFP2 masks on everyone.
snow conditions
I think of "genau", which does mean "exactly", if used in response as a single sentence is more like "I agree". "Understood" is a bit more submissive.
snow conditions
I'm glad that's clear but where should @Cheapski ski, and can it be skied on the cheap.
ski holidays
@sibhusky, ah! genau! so 2G is actually "better" than 3G? That's not intuitive. Well, not from my iPhone's point of view. It's 5G wink

So my mate was right first time then?
ski holidays
I would like to ski at the most restrictive place re. COVID.

You know, the place where you have to be fully vaccinated or tested in last 48hrs or "COVID recovered" or having to scan your fancy named app and where wearing masks is mandatory while riding gondolas and in indoor spaces. Place where I feel confident enough that crowds in bars and restaurants are just drunk not "sick drunk" ...

With all this information changing daily (and sometimes twice daily) by starting this thread I was hoping to have "crowd sourcing" of a kind and have all "restrictions" and "COVID mitigation measures' in one place so people like me (and there are plenty of others like me, I would say a very strong "silent majority) could make the safest decision and feel comfortable knowing that the chances of infecting somebody and then watch them get very sick are minimal.

And I would like to do it on a tight budget.
snow report
@Cheapski, I presume you are fully vaccinated?

You do realise that at some point this virus will be accepted as being endemic (like it's 4 common cold cousins, and 'flu) and it'll be a case of getting back on with it?

Also that testing does very little to enhance your own personal safety, nor that mask outside contribute much, if anything...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Tristero, it's a bit weird that this implies functional equivalence between vaccination, infection and testing?

Also, does this mean that the only word one needs to know in Schweizer Deutsch, "genau", actually translates as "understood" rather than, "exactly", as I was once told?

1) It doesn't. It's rather a political statement about the tightness of restrictions. The idea behind requiring 3G+ or 2G rather than 3G is not to make the actual situation any safer - which would be doubtful - but to make everyone get the jab.

2) No. "Genau" is no PPP and the "ge-" in "genau" is no prefix. "Nau" doesn't mean anything in German. "Exactly" would be the adequate translation in most circumstances.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tristero wrote:
under a new name wrote:

1) It doesn't. It's rather a political statement about the tightness of restrictions. The idea behind requiring 3G+ or 2G rather than 3G is not to make the actual situation any safer - which would be doubtful - but to make everyone get the jab.

2) No. "Genau" is no PPP and the "ge-" in "genau" is no prefix. "Nau" doesn't mean anything in German. "Exactly" would be the adequate translation in most circumstances.

1) I rather thought that might be the case.

2) Thanks, I can rest easy wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy