Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

(Yet another "which skis") Powder skis for intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, this sort of thing has been asked before I'm sure. I did look for answers but didn't quite find quite what I was looking for. And yea, I just signed up so I could ask but I'll probably be hanging around here for a while anyway. I did just move to CO (15 minutes from slopes) from the southeast though, so it ain't just the forum that's new but access to real skiing on a regular basis. Stoked.

Me: Almost 50. 6'2" 225# (up 20# during COVID...). Solidly intermediate and still progressing. Will probably get 40-60 days this season. Been skiing 180cm Kung Fujas which are, yes, probably a bit short but I've had fun on them. They don't float me in pow. Nope. Looking for something fairly forgiving and fun to ride and progress on that'll work in the pow. Doesn't necessarily have to be the only ski I ride. Looking for suggestions for both size and models.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DorcusMaximus, welcome to snowHeads. We're mainly UK based here we have a few sceptics in our ranks.

Now that you're a CO guy you won't go wrong supporting your local independent makers, namely Icelantic and High Society, both of which are long established with excellent reputations.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've a "wet your finger and stick it in the air" calculation to indicate flotation in very soft snow. Crude experience rather than recorded quotable reference Very Happy but it seems to work reasonably well.

For every kilogram of skier weight, 1 millimetre of ski waist width will give a general use all mountain ski without wild variation in conventional length to add support.

At 225 lb that would give 102 kg and follows into 102 mm skis (unsure if that's your current ski waist dimension) giving you an all mountain width. You'd need to go above that to bring flotation up in significant snow depth unsupported by compressed base layer.

That's just about the float it'll give and not considering all other aspects such as skill level, fitness, intent and pure combined ability to really "drive" a larger ski.

Whatever choice ok ski manufacturer, it looks like you've got to be towards 110mm and up to get you into heavanly float type skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
@DorcusMaximus, welcome to snowHeads. We're mainly UK based here we have a few sceptics in our ranks.

Now that you're a CO guy you won't go wrong supporting your local independent makers, namely Icelantic and High Society, both of which are long established with excellent reputations.

Or in the Roaring Fork, Meier Skis.

Guess you're skiing A$$pen so getting demos should be easy enough for you, or Sunlight maybe.

You need to decide if you want powder powder skis that you'll use maybe 5-10 days a year or more general all mountain soft snow skis. You can maybe handle something in the 105-110 bracket which puts something like an Icelantic Nomad in range.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-11-21 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ski3, [drift] that resonates nicely, in fact, at 60kgs my 66mm FIS SLs are arguably a bit fat.[/drift] Twisted Evil

Though, more serjously, my daily drivers are 98mm - if I lived in CO I'd be looking for something rather wider. @spyderjon's names seem like an excellent idea!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, that would mean I'd be on GS or slalom skis for all mountain use! It might work at the heavier end of the spectrum but not so much for lighter skiers.

@DorcusMaximus, no point in me suggesting skis, what works for me wouldn't cut the mustard for someone your size. I'm sure others on the forum will have more specific relevant suggestions. But you might want to also ask on one of the US forums as local knowledge should help. I'd suggest Skitalk as a start (no connection but my impression is that they're pretty friendly, like here - which may not be the case for some of the others).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. I'll try to find a forum geared more towards this side of the pond. FWIW, I'll be at Sunlight mainly. Fifteen minutes from the house and a wee bit more affordable than an Aspen pass. Especially since my wife is patrolling at Sunlight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mgrolf, I disagree because I'm not talking about skiing as such in how the skier ultimately uses the ski.

Just the ability of the ski surface area to support the kilogram load you put on them, in unsupported soft powder. As my children have grown up it appeared to hold for them at the opposite end of the spectrum from adults too.

Of course, with a skillful skier, most things can be skied in non matching conditions of ski to snow surface but that is often working around true flotation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tried the whitedot altiums at the recent snowhead ski test. Great all round ski. I'm 6' 3'' and have also put on 'some' weight recently. (this one: Altum.104)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 10-11-21 0:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski3, but you are suggesting that float vs weight is linear to area which I intuit unlikely.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, certainly many transactions aren't, and I pre empted it with "finger in the air" sentiment, so I doubt a scientific accuracy is there.

But the downhill ski market effectively having a floor below which competition ski are prevented from going acts as significant distortion in not producing narrower skis to test that area.

But broadly speaking I feel it works, in as much as if you take your kg and used waist width of same in mm, then you'll be looking above that start point to give true powder flotation in a ski. Which is more or less what the OP was looking toward.

To flip it as crude method of proofing, if the mm width was minus the skier kg then would it truly float the subject (longer skis historically used to balance that question) in really deep powder..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DorcusMaximus wrote:
Thanks all. I'll try to find a forum geared more towards this side of the pond. FWIW, I'll be at Sunlight mainly. Fifteen minutes from the house and a wee bit more affordable than an Aspen pass. Especially since my wife is patrolling at Sunlight.

Cool. Sunlight is fun. Your wife's colleagues will probably have some skis they are flipping so that might be a good place to test the water.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joffy69 wrote:
Tried the whitedot altums at the recent snowhead ski test. Great all round ski. I'm 6' 3'' and have also put on 'some' weight recently. (this one: Altum.104)

Curious. I don't remember trying to quote myself.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy