Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian beginner resorts advice II

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Would appreciate any thoughts from snowheads on Selva, Sestriere and Bardonecchia for a family beginner ski holiday. Looking for confidence building runs, not fussed about apres and will all be going to ski school. Many thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Daleh only done Selva of the resorts mentioned. I would say that return runs a bit iffy for absolute beginners.
Have you considered Cervinia? My middle daughters boyfriend will be a first time skier and have picked this resort with him in mind. It has confidence building runs in spades. Imfirst went there before I was married over 40 years ago, and can remember the thought of really travelling and getting so much better faster. Since then we have skied Zermatt over the border many times, and every time come over to Cervinia for at least a day, for a little easier skiing, and great restaurants which are a fair bit cheaper than Zermatt! Have a look would be my suggestion, and/or Google where to ski and snowboard in Italy, for an independent view.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cervinia's a good shout. Also consider Corvara and Colfosco. Lots of blues in each and beautiful scenery. Selva isn't great for beginners.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say you are a bit limited in Selva until you can ski red runs - in other words probably not on the first holiday. Though I think there is a bus up to the region where there are a lot of nice blue runs for beginners. If you fancy Dolomites, Corvara is probably the better option.

Sestriere has a nursery slope right next to the town, and a pretty nice blue run down to the bottom of the valley. I have a feeling that there were blue runs further afield that would work well for beginners too, though I can't remember the details of all the connections - if those worked that would create a decent area to cruise around and gain confidence.

Bardonecchia I haven't visited.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have taken beginners to Selva ; the beginner slopes in the village are just fine. As they advance, they are taken to the Plan di Gralba area (bus there) ; getting back involves a busy blue/red run, or the infrequent bus..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't say Bardonecchia is great for a first trip, steep drag lifts to the top of the resort and the beginners areas were quite busy and narrow towards the bottom.
As mentioned, Colfosco would be great.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would 3rd Colfosco for absolute beginners
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife learnt in Bardonecchia and the ski school was excellent. I agree that it may not be the best for lifts but the runs through the trees were nice and there’s the option of skiing the second mountain (Jauffera?) once you get up and running. It’s also a very well priced resort.
Sestriere has convenient nursery slopes and more runs close by as well as being a lot higher. The town is a bit ugly but that wasn’t in your criteria.
Selva is a lovely resort but as others have said, perhaps not the best in the region for beginners.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corky wrote:
Cervinia's a good shout. Also consider Corvara and Colfosco. Lots of blues in each and beautiful scenery. Selva isn't great for beginners.

I'd "fourth" this.

Also consider San Cassiano, although Corvara/Colfosco is pretty ideal for beginners/intermediates.

The best area in Selva for beginners is Plan Gralba; it's where lessons start before you can move up. It's perfectly nice, but you do have to drive there (pay for parking too) from Selva or take a very infrequent bus, as mentioned. Outside of that there isn't a lot of "beginner" terrain in Val Gardena. A ton of intermediate level runs and few blacks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our children learned to ski in Livigno. Positives are that it's high altitude; in one of those Alpine mini-states, so prices were low even for Italy; and the three learner slopes were graded and separate to the rest, so you could progress without having to share the pistes with everyone else. Downsides were the long transit time from the airport (4h) and that the nearest (Bergamo) is somewhat plagued by fog.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If Apres is not important, I would thoroughly recommend San Cassiano. The hotels are great value (look at the Stores) with lockers at the gondola to leave your kit. The ski school meets at the top of said gondola and the Pralongia plateau is blue run heaven for this level of skiing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very many thanks as always for the helpful advice. I am now looking to see what is available in my price range for Feb half term Neutral in Corvara/Colfosco, Cervinia and San Cassiano. Thanks again Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It might be worth looking at Folgarida as it is popular for school ski trips so probably has enough beginner terrain. I haven't been there myself but my daughter went there on a school ski trip and had a great time. I suspect not many schools will manage to get there next Feb half term so could be a good time to go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
daleh wrote:
Very many thanks as always for the helpful advice. I am now looking to see what is available in my price range for Feb half term Neutral in Corvara/Colfosco, Cervinia and San Cassiano. Thanks again Smile

If you are looking at half term, don’t rule out Kronplatz. Not the easiest resort to get to but you can get transfers (or a self drive hire car is best option) from Milan / Bergamo / Verona / Innsbruck / Munich
We are looking at flights Manchester to Milan for half term week with accommodation at Sankt Vigilio
Not so many Brits so prices don’t get hiked at British half term weeks.
Look at self catering as eating out isn’t too expensive. List of accommodation available from Tourist Office at San Vigilio
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Suitable for beginners is Alta Badia. Long confidence building blue runs.
Another option is Bellamonte in Alpe Lusia Bellamonte area. If you stay in Moena except Bellamonte you have San Pellegrino pass part of S. Pellegrino Falcade area. Ciabac above Canazei has a good plateau. And finally the Alpe di Siusi the largest Alpine plateau, only blues and semi-reds
snow report
"..And finally the Alpe di Siusi the largest Alpine plateau, only blues and semi-reds..." -- Ah, yes, forgot about Siusi...

Oh, and welcome to SnowHeads yannisnm.... Wink
ski holidays
I learnt in Sauze. Seemed perfectly ok as a beginner. This was 35 years ago and it was a Club 18-30 holiday…
snow report
@yannisnm, good post. Also welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
snow conditions
If you do not care about apres, then you should pick a small, quiet and relatively unknown resort. What pushes prices of resorts up is being in a good ski area, famous runs and lively apres. There is not point paying more if you are not using these things.
ski holidays
Sauze is a resprt more suitable for advanced intermediates and experts, not beginners.
snow report
Passo Tonale, I learnt to ski there and is perfect for beginners. Was a white out all week 10yrs ago so heading back next year to hopefully "see" something this time and explore more haha.

Agree with OP, Sauze is not a beginners resort... Great Apres though Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy