Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L2/L3 combined Telemark course !

Poster: A snowHead
Is there anyone in Snowheads land with a BASI L1 or 2 in Telemark that fancies taking it a bit further? I have a few tele mates wanting to do L3 -- and because tele is quite niche, BASI will run L2 and L3 on the same course. If you are doing an L2, you'll have some very good skiers (not me -- obvs) to keep you company. The course is good fun, although the Central Theme will be discussed at length. Currently there is one scheduled for end if April in Zermatt, but we could runin Scotland with enough enthusiam. PM to chat about options...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 30-10-21 13:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I didn't suck I might be interested, might have to practice a bit this season and put up some video to see if Im getting near the bar.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimottaret, Can you get to Hemel on a Friday morning or Chatham on a Monday evening? A few of us have been meeting regularly --- I'm sure a couple of sessions would get you up to L2 standard Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should be at Hemel on the 5th for some alpine practice but may as well bring the tele gear Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, Cool --- see you there Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
... and sorry to everyone for a rubbish title! Should have read "BASI Telemark L2/L3 combined" rolling eyes Is there any way to change a Topic Title?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
... and sorry to everyone for a rubbish title! Should have read "BASI Telemark L2/L3 combined" rolling eyes Is there any way to change a Topic Title?

You should be able to edit the thread title of you edit your opening post.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Done. Thanks Eh oh!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski, Ive managed to sprain an ankle and can't see telemarking tomorrow unless things improve dramatically Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimottaret, Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So if anyone else is keen -- please submit a course request to BASI... you can do so here

https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Courses/Course_Request/BASI/Courses/Course_request.aspx?hkey=e8d52893-c182-49d1-b05a-bdb16dd0c222

Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski, good luck in Tux !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimottaret, Thanks! We have a full course, with a good group so should be fun Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski wrote:
@skimottaret, Thanks! We have a full course, with a good group so should be fun Very Happy

please post a report once done
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, Here you go...

BASI run L2 and L3 courses combined to get enough numbers. There is no L4 for Telemark. On this course we had 5 L3 and 3 L2. Of these, two current members of the GB Telemark Team, and one an Alpine Trainer. So a pretty high standard of skier!

Unlike Alpine and Snowboard, the L3 is a mix of Teach and Tech rather than separate courses. This does give you rather more time to practise and improve, but also means you spend a longer period trying to ski at a the standard – at the end of the fortnight I was exhausted.

L2/L3 split managed by having a separate trainer on some days, and level specific group practice.

BASI provide a Workbook for each element on the course. These are available to downloaded via a link sent with the course confirmation. Probably the most exciting bit are the PIAs (Performance Indicators and Actions) that describe successful outcomes for each for the strands (Piste Long, Piste Short, Bumps, Variables and Steeps). There is also a PIA for Teach and we were also assessed on the Central Theme. For L2 the level is grippy rounded turns on piste, control of speed and line in easy bumps and variables. For L3, carved Longs on a red piste -- two clean lines in the snow, shorts rounded throughout the turn, not carved, but showing ski performance. Bumps, variables, steeps all show ski performance with rounded turns. Rounded means that the Build, Work and Release phases are all of a similar size.
For Teach, L2 is Central Theme and Telemark extensions using using TIED (BASI teaching Model). L3 Beyond CT using TIED. I found L3 Teach easier as less artificial, i.e. we taught at the ability level of the group (GB team members included!).

The first day was an easy day of skiing the strands and getting to know everyone. Tele has a slightly older demographic than alpine, so we had all ages from mid-twenties to late fifties/early sixties. This contributed to a very relaxed and calm atmosphere throughout the fortnight.

The rest of the first week was a mix of teach and tech. Weather was variable, with some fresh snow but not much sun. The Tech element focussed on Piste Performance... Long and Short Turns, with some variables when we had snow. Longs were off the Kaserer lifts, and shorts off either Oplerer or Gefrorene Wand T-bars. Variables and steeps were from the Lärmstange 2 chair. We were on snow from about 9:15 until 4pm daily, with about 40 mins for lunch. Long days!

Most telemark skiers (myself included) tend to regard pistes as convenient if somewhat dull tracks that need to be used to access much more fun softer snow of the side, so it's fair to say that these tasks did require a lot of rethinking of how to ski.

The other strands are bumps, variables, and steeps. Rounded rhythmical turns are required. Bumps on or next to a red or black piste, skied above a minimum speed. We would do bumps in the second week. More on that later. Freestyle is also mentioned, but for us was limited to skiing switch in Tele, with to 360 spins thrown in.

So we came to the end of the first week. We were advised to rest at the weekend. Which of course we did not do. Instead we practised Longs and Shorts, and generally enjoyed a good thrash around without our Trainer. With hindsight, this may not have been a good tactic.

So on the second Monday we restarted. Two days of Teach followed by three of Tech. The Teach went well and the sun came out for the Tech. Wednesday started with cloud and snow. As is typical in April you can get a variety of conditions throughout the day. The very soft snow we had in the morning quick transformed into something rather heavier when the sun came out.

A bumps run (rut line) was created by L3/L4 alpine skiers, including some of the GB Olympic squad. Eventually we found a line at the side which was a bit more civilised, but certainly my skiing was not a good advert for tele!

So the second week draw to a close. I was not successful with Tech, but did pass the Teach element. Will I do a resit? I need to think about that.

So what did I think of the course? Well it’s great value for money and Hintertux in April is pretty much ideal. The ski area has slopes of the required gradient, good snow and excellent off-snow facilities -- ski storage on the hill, plenty of room for group discussions and debriefs. In our second week there were a lot of BASI courses running, which lead to many overheard nerdy conversations in the bar.

Of course to do an L2 you will need to have already done an L1 (or L2 for L3), but if you have it’s certainly a great way of spending a fortnight. You’ll be with a bunch of similarly committed skiers, some of whom will be very very good. There is a discipline that comes with trying to pass, meaning that everyone was working hard throughout the two weeks.

And my Tech resit? Still thinking about it.
ski holidays
@ski, thanks for that detailed write up. I'm sure it will be of interest to anyone taking a BASI course, whatever the discipline. Sorry you missed the tech but it shows that it is a good standard if you are already a good tele skier. Was it a particular aspect that posed problems?
snow conditions
@davidof, Thanks. For me it was the Piste Performance elements. As I mentioned above, skiing in hard snow is not what I dream about, and generating speed and big lateral angles are not normally at the top of the toolkit when skiiing of the piste. I did use narrower skis (72mm instead of 96mm) for the course.

As far as skiing standard goes, I would say I'm a prettty good tele skier -- certainly L2 was not a huge challenge. I've tele'd on and off for 30 years, and ditched alpine (other than for teaching) in 2015. As far as the resit goes, well I am 58, and don't want to chase this forever....but should there be an opportunity next year, and I get some training done before, then I'd have another go.

BASI will have some videos up soon showing the standard for L3 (skied by Jaz Taylor), so you can see what you are up against.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy