Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best early season resorts for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - first time poster Smile

Hoping to go on a pre Christmas (late November / early December) ski trip with my brother and sister. They're both first timers and I've a couple of weeks skiing under my belt.

I am looking for snow sure resorts that are open from the end of November and are suitable for beginners. At the moment I am thinking of Val Thorens or Ischgl?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hopefulimprover, welcome to Snowheads.

I went to Val Thorens for my second ever skiing trip. The snow was good, but in memory it wasn't the best place for beginners. And quite a stark landscape, being well above the treeline. You don't want to put your siblings off!

The obvious high altitude French alternative is Tignes. There are others, but I don't know which open that early.

I don't have the same experience of Austrian resorts, but the right one may be a reasonable bet, as long as they have had snow by then they are likely to hold on to it. Someone here will know!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine, exemplary beginner acces and pistes.
You'll need to check opening schedule though.

Val Thorens is usually good, but can be brutally cold there early season. It allows snow making if sparse natural conditions but depends on your group outlook. Visited the last full week before Christmas with plenty of skiing, village access direct to snow and enough to do (links closed to other valley) nothing guaranteed, but it's along way there usually for getting reliable snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j_b - thanks!

It sounds like VT might not be the best option. I've had a look and Tignes is opening on 27 November this year so works for us from schedule POV. Do you know if Tignes is suitable for beginners?

@ski3 - unfortunately, Flaine appears to open on 11 December this year and we won't be able to be away past 14 December.

One other option that past threads here have thrown up is Alta Badia? I have no idea how snow sure it would be at the start of December. Trying to avoid a situation that I bring my siblings on their first ski trip and end up with no snow!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hopefulimprover, my sense of Tignes was that it would be reasonable for beginners. However when I visited I was considerably more competent myself so might have misjudged that. I think that of the subsidiary villages Tignes Le Lac would be more appropriate than Tignes Val Claret - but I am sure there will be some local experts along to verify that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hopefulimprover,
That early in the season you'll be restricted as to choice. Tignes is already open for skiing on the glacier, but opens more fully on 27th Nov, along with Val D'Isere.
The 3 Valleys open 4th Dec.
Be warned that Tignes will have a fair few Snowheads in resort at that time of year. Whether that is a plus or a minus I wouldn't like to comment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm keen not to give VT a bad view, we had a great week there. But if someone is sensitive to cold, then they'll probably be bending your ear about for a few years after.
I don't mind the cold temps and gives me a chance to wear things I've bought that are usually too warm Very Happy the air was dry such that there wasn't even a frost on the car parked outside all week, but a spectacular winter environment if you're ok with it.

Tignes, yes to plenty of beginner scope and again fairly good early season snow prospects. Definitely viable for your request and probably a good balance.

Get them kitted with merino base layers anyway and they'll appreciate your caring insight Very Happy

It's definitely a great week anyway and often life changing if they've not experienced it. Hopefully you'll find something suitable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In general - one that's open. That might sound facetious but generally if a resort has the snow to open one of the first priorities will be getting beginner areas open. On the one hand resorts know they only get one chance to make a good impression on first timers and turn them into return skiers rather than "I tried it once, there was no snow so a complete waste of money, I'm never going again", and on the other theyhave to keep the army of ski instructors happy, which means being able to teach lessons and earn a crust.

Of course that doesn't mean lessons on the first day of the season will be the same as those in peak season. If the snow's poor at the start of the season a low resort like Morzine might be open and might be doing ski lessons - but rather than meeting at the top of the Pleney gondola above Morzine you might be catching a bus and meeting in Avoriaz, at the top of the Prodains gondola.

You have Ischgl on your list and that usually gets the "Ischgl isn't good for beginners" response - but it's where I learnt to ski and, well, worked well enough for me Smile!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hopefulimprover, one place you might consider is Obergurgl. It is not the biggest nor does it have much tough skiing but pretty much ideal for your specification. Nothing wrong with Ischgl either, perfectly good for beginners and less experienced skiers. The runs back to the village are not for the faint hearted but many simply take the lifts back down (might have to depending on snow conditions). There is a large area suitable for beginners at just over 2000m in front of the gondola station, ideal as there should be decent snow.

The issue with all the high altitude places is that they are not good in bad weather, there is little shelter above the tree line but there is likely to be snow there when there is none lower down!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hopefulimprover,
Re First trip & no snow - not likely to be a problem in Tignes even that early in the season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kronplatz is opening on November 27th. I was there a few years ago at the beginning of December and there was plenty of snow as they have excellent snow making facilities. I think it is beginner friendly but you'd need to check up on that. Crystal Holidays and SunWeb used to go there but I'm not sure now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OP, you could try somewhere a bit different like Finland, will be pretty dark then but also other activities such as trying to see northern lights, skidoo trips, dog sledding etc. Good for beginners but potentially limiting for others. With the added bonus of Santa Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obertauern seems obvious here:-) snow sure and easy pistes that are not to long for beginners…. Good apres!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obertauern seems obvious here:-) snow sure and easy pistes that are not to long for beginners.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DanishRider, I was just going to say the same.

I think it's also good that there are blues back into the resort.

Just depends on a snowy Nov though.
snow conditions
Jagerbull wrote:
@DanishRider, I was just going to say the same.

I think it's also good that there are blues back into the resort.

Just depends on a snowy Nov though.

I strikes me as near perfect for beginners early season - Have never experienced no snow there in November - Even in bad snow years….. But I don’t doubt it can happen:-)
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Hopefulimprover, one place you might consider is Obergurgl. It is not the biggest nor does it have much tough skiing but pretty much ideal for your specification. Nothing wrong with Ischgl either, perfectly good for beginners and less experienced skiers. The runs back to the village are not for the faint hearted but many simply take the lifts back down (might have to depending on snow conditions). There is a large area suitable for beginners at just over 2000m in front of the gondola station, ideal as there should be decent snow.

The issue with all the high altitude places is that they are not good in bad weather, there is little shelter above the tree line but there is likely to be snow there when there is none lower down!

This. And Solden which is in the same skipass and linked by a 30 minutes free bus ride.
Solden is easier IMO. wide cruisey blue pistes, excellent tutoring
ski holidays
I wouldn't go to a resort where you have to take a long gondola ride from the village to get to the ski area if I went with total beginners.
It's much more flexible to go somewhere where you can ski back into the resort to meet up, or have a rest, or change your equipment etc.
ski holidays
The Dolomites open on the 4th December. My suggestion would be Corvara
latest report
Jagerbull wrote:
I wouldn't go to a resort where you have to take a long gondola ride from the village to get to the ski area if I went with total beginners.
It's much more flexible to go somewhere where you can ski back into the resort to meet up, or have a rest, or change your equipment etc.

+1
snow report
Thanks all - your suggestions and info are much appreciated!

Sounds like Obergurgl, Obertauern and Corvara would be particularly suited to beginners, with Tignes, Solden, Ischgl and Val Thorens also doable/snowsure.

@richb67 - having spent a week in Helsinki for work I don't the wallet would thank me after a Finnish ski trip Smile
snow conditions
Hopefulimprover wrote:

Sounds like Obergurgl, Obertauern and Corvara would be particularly suited to beginners, with Tignes, Solden, Ischgl and Val Thorens also doable/snowsure.

@richb67 - having spent a week in Helsinki for work I don't the wallet would thank me after a Finnish ski trip Smile

Have been in ischgl 21 times, but took my wife there for her first ski experience because og lack of snow other places. That was not a good experience - She was basically skiing Idalp all week. Ischgl is not for first timers in my opinion.
ski holidays
Some weeks ago I wrote in a different post on a similar topic that places like Tignes or Val Tho are "wasted" on beginners.
Expensive skipass plus dining, too many neighbouring challenging pistes to enter by nistake...
Solden should be gr8
snow report
Whichever resort you decide on, check whether the local ski schools are offering lessons for complete beginners. There won’t be a problem with private lessons, but you might find that group lessons for beginners aren’t scheduled that early in the season because of too few clients to make it worth the ski school running beginner sessions.
latest report
Noted re Ischgl, VT and Tignes - probably not much point shelling out for a large ski area pass when most of a group is on the nursery slopes.

One other resort that has been suggested to me for beginners is Cervinia? From reading other threads here it sounds pretty snow sure early season.
snow report
I’d second Kronplatz. They have 100% snowmaking and most years usually have some runs open by the end of November. They usually have everything open by New Year.
They are often in the top 10 for number of open runs and lifts during December. The ski manufacturers go to Kronplatz in early season because of its reliability and accessibility.

Being relatively low and sheltered you are also much more likely to ski every day and enjoy better weather than ski areas high above the tree line.
It should also be cheaper than more prestigious resorts and you’ll spend less time reaching the runs. Most of the lifts are modern Gondolas so you will be warm and not have to use too many chairlifts or draglifts.
snow conditions
@Hopefulimprover,
Welcome to SnowHeads.
It depends on the dynamic of the group.
One thing about Val Thorens is it does have a very gentle slope ideal for complete debutants.
There are bars and restaurants all the way along the side of the travellator there. (That might even be free)

Ischgl will probably have snow early in the season, but I don't think its for beginners. Maybe when they can ski a bit.

Just a thought, Kaprun.
Easy glacier skiing if you can stand the cold and if the snow is OK lower there is an Excellent beginners area
at the Maiskogel.
snow report
What @rob@rar says is crucial. The quality of the lessons they get will be at least as major an influence on their first impressions of skiing as the nature of the resort. If they are keen to ski they will need lessons all week unless they are athletically very talented and with a high pain threshold. If they are happy to flop about a bit, pretending to learn to ski, then retreat to a bar, then lessons will probably be wasted on them! You will know your siblings. Probably best NOT to try to teach them yourself.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefulimprover wrote:

Well alcohol was expensive but this was offset by cheap ski passes and instruction when we went so overall it was a good value trip, great place for beginners but a bit dark for me around Xmas as you’re above the arctic circle. Nice and quiet, I was the only person on my beginners course all week. Literally the worst skier in the resort!

We liked Corvara and are going back for 2 weeks in Feb but when looking for somewhere for beginners as part of a mixed group in the Dolomites opted for Madonna di Campiglio as I think of Corvara as more suited for intermediates, not sure I’d go to MdC in December though. I like the comments from drporat, robrar et al, no point in spending a fortune to have the worlds largest ski area when 50km is enough, spend the cash on great lessons. Am currently trying to persuade one of our MdC group that having done 1 weeks skiing doesn’t mean don’t need daily lessons from a professional…
snow report
Kaprun, Austria deserves a mention. Likely that the ski school will be running group lessons. The link directly back to town should be running in Dec. There are plenty of places on the mountain for a learner to take a break in the warmth of a restaurant.

http://youtube.com/v/mG_QZZl2MdA

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 29-10-21 6:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Is Trysil good for beginners?
ski holidays
I found the runs in Tignes more difficult than equivalent runs in other resorts. How about avoriaz?
snow report
madlondoner wrote:
I found the runs in Tignes more difficult than equivalent runs in other resorts. How about avoriaz?

Avoriaz is very good for beginners, but I would never go there early season - Most of the area is just to low to be snowsure early season.
snow report
Hopefulimprover wrote:
Noted re Ischgl, VT and Tignes - probably not much point shelling out for a large ski area pass when most of a group is on the nursery slopes.

One other resort that has been suggested to me for beginners is Cervinia? From reading other threads here it sounds pretty snow sure early season.

Re ski passes. I can't think off the top of my head of a resort I've been to where the nursery slopes & lifts weren't free.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
Is Trysil good for beginners?

In general terms, yes - plenty of gentle pistes, not too busy, mostly considerate and responsible skiers (so a good environment for learners). The downsides I can think of are the high number (compared to the Alps) of drags, especially t bars, and that like many Scandi resorts, many of the flattest runs are at the top. But neither of these need be a big barrier.
snow report
@Hopefulimprover, There are a couple of posts here saying don't go to Val d'Isere/Tignes with beginners as it will be wasted on them but I strongly disagree. Val d'Isere has maybe the best early season beginner terrain of anywhere. The top of Bellvarde and Solaise offer a large amount of really gentle high altitude terrain. The top of Pisaillas Glacier and upper half of the Fornet sector are then only a minor step up in difficulty. At the very beginning of the season these will be some of the most snow sure beginner sectors anywhere in Europe and at that time accommodation should be good value and lift pass prices are reduced. A Solaise beginner's pass comes in at 32 euros/day at that point in the season which you won't get a lot cheaper than. There have been some lean starts to the season in recent years with rain to high altitude but these beginner areas are consistently above the rain/snow line. Les Deux Alpes is perhaps the only the other resort that I can think of with beginner terrain that it so snow sure at that time of year

https://www.valdisere.ski/en/forfait-ski/1-jour-solaise-debutant-2821/
snow report
And I wouldn't particularly recommend Scandinavia for early season skiing - it is very dark around Christmas and the snow may not be great. Fine if you are (relatively) local and can make a decision based on the conditions but not so good if you want to book flights etc well in advance.
snow conditions
@rambotion, I had thought of Tignes rather than Val d'Isere because of the resort height - but you are right, the runs accessible by gondola from V d'I would be fabulous for a beginner. Not just the ones off Solaise, also the ones the other side of the Olympique lift.

You just need to return on the gondola at the end of the day, the runs down aren't beginner-friendly.
ski holidays
Following as there’s a chance we might grab 5 days before Christmas. We can do most terrain (blues/reds) so wouldn’t want anything too easy. Should be under 2hrs from major airport. Main concern at this date is snow cover over a good amount of piste. And I am usually a cheapskate for accommodation and we don’t need much to do in the evenings. Wondered about Avoriaz (seemed OK two years ago), no idea about Austria or Italy that early.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
Nothing wrong with Ischgl either, perfectly good for beginners and less experienced skiers. The runs back to the village are not for the faint hearted but many simply take the lifts back down.

Jagerbull wrote:

Like I said I did learn to ski in Ischgl and to be honest by the end of 4hrs in the snowplow the idea of skiing back home was a long, long way down my to-do list. No, I was more than happy to take my skis off and have a nice sit down in the gondola (before an even nicer soak in the bath to sooth tired mussels back at the hotel)! And as for going back to the resort to change equipment... I think as a beginner I just had one of everything so nothing to change!

DanishRider wrote:
Avoriaz is very good for beginners, but I would never go there early season - Most of the area is just to low to be snowsure early season.

Meh, I've done several opening weeks in the PdS, including the one a few years back when we had that really slow start to the season and while the skiing was limited (just Avoriaz and then just the Fornet bowl and section above Avoiraz on the Stade/Lac-Intrets chairs open - but the ski pass was also limited to something like €50 for the week and the pistes empty, so great for focusing on technique rather than miles). But the beginner area in the centre of Avoriaz was open and that plus the easiest of those blues would be more than enough for the average beginner. Considering that year the Pleney slope in Morzine was still green grass and afternoons were speak sat outside in the sun in t-shirts and shorts I'd say Avoriaz would be at worst 'OK', and more likely good at the start of the season. Only issue is they don't tend to open as early - the week after the PSB this year, so would have been rude of me not to double up!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy