Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early January Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Considering a trip to Megeve in the first two weeks of January (this is the only time I can travel). Have read reports that suggest that because of the altitude there may be concerns regarding snow, and others which say that the snowmaking is good enough. Grateful for any guidance you may have on this.

Any recommendations on alternatives in France or Switzerland which are close to either Geneva or Zurich would be welcome. I'm a piste skier, preferring long reds and blacks, large ski areas with long runs, and good food. Loved Val-d'Isere/Tignes and Zermatt/Cervinia but would like to try somewhere different. Meribel seemed an option but accommodation options now a bit limited. Val Thorens seems too high, altitude wise.

Thanks in advance for your help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Clusaz?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Clusaz is a great place for families and very convenient for Geneva but from my experience I'd say it's a bit on the small side for someone who wants a large ski area with long runs and was originally thinking of heading to meribel.

It's a shame @ap1983 isn't open to a wider area as I'd probably suggest Arabba as a good idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Early Jan you are good to go in Megeve. If we are having a low snow year then they will make plenty.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies! The reason I'm limited to France and Switzerland is due to COVID related restrictions, given the countries that our party is travelling from. Italy is problematic, and Austria is impossible at the moment. Such is life.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Meribel seemed an option but accommodation options now a bit limited.

That's suprising. The first 2 week of Jan are usually the quietest of the season. I wonder why.

Val Thorens and Meribel are not the only resorts in the 3 valleys. Have a look at St. Martin de Belleville, or Courcheval. There are people here who love La Tania, but I've never stayed there.

There are other resorts in the upper Isere valley as well. If you like genuine blacks then Les Arcs has some real good ones, as well as very long runs.

La Rossiere with its link to La Thuile over the Petit st Bernard pass may prove intersting for covid restrictions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd recommend the Grand Massif which is one of the nearest areas to Geneva. Varied skiing above and below the treeline and some excellent mountain restaurants in the Morillon and Les Carroz part of the ski area. Some of the longer reds are in Flaine but you don't need to stay there you can ski over to it from the prettier villages eg. Samoens or Les Carroz. I like Les Carroz best as you can ski back to the door in Chalets de Jouvence whereas you have to take a gondola down to Samoens and walk a short distance to the village. Although Samoens would have a greater choice of restaurants for evening meals.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy