Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying new, 18 year old skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I can't afford much, but someone is selling "new" (never drilled) skis that are a model that was last sold in 2003. How terrible of an idea is this? How would it compare to buying used 10 year old skis?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are the skis? Are they the correct length and stiffness for your weight and ability?

Do you have your own boots? - If a flat ski (no integrated rail), you don't want to drill them until you have boots.

I was happily skiing on 2003 (Atomic Beta Ride 11.20) skis until the Bindings broke. I also have Atomic SL11 from 2004, which still ski nicely - but the Bindings are no longer indemnified.

The problem with old skis are twofold:

1. The "Spring" and liveliness can go out of them - but these haven't been used.
2. The Bindings can become dangerous, as the plastic gets brittle - but you can fit new bindings.

I suspect, you'd be better off with unused 18 year old skis, than well used 10 year old ones.

BTW. Welcome to the Forum - which is a deep well of helpful knowledge - and I'm sure you will get other views on this.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-10-21 22:05; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hotrod, Better to rent in resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I can't afford much,

What can you afford (incl bindings) and what type of skiing do you do?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think, to summarise:

1. What level skier are you/Where do you ski ie. % Off Piste/What are your stats?
2. What is the model you are talking about and what length?
3. What is your budget? You can buy new skis from the likes of Decathlon and Glisshop for surprisingly little.
4. Do you have Boots?
5. The cost of ski carriage and servicing can be as much as hiring.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ask WhiteGold.....?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the welcome, all.

I am (was) an advanced skier and enjoy skiing aggressively, but I am just returning to the sport after doing little skiing for the past 20 years. I am 5'10 and 12st. Mostly ski on piste but would like to do some skinning and off piste.

The ski I am considering is a Salomon X Scream 1080, 177cm. My intent is to build my gear up progressively. I have boots and I would like to buy a new Salomon s/lab shift binding and mount the bindings on a very cheap ski (< 150 EUR) this season. I hope to be able to afford a better (new?) ski next season.

Thanks for your thoughts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They were a well respected ski in their day and often recommended for intro to off piste type courses so quite suitable for what you want to do. They're the right length for your stats.

You could do a lot worse.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1080s were ok but are considered a bit floppy my modern standards. 2003 would be round about the transformers graphics iirc. I wouldn't pay more than £100 for them though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where/how have they been stored?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Mostly ski on piste but would like to do some skinning and off piste.

Quote:

I am (was) an advanced skier and enjoy skiing aggressively

Forget them; don’t waste slope time on those skis. You’ll quickly be good enough to realize how much you do NOT like them.

Rent some premium GS piste skis and you’ll have a blast!

Rent off-piste skis when you decide to go skinning.

Ask here again next season when you have a bigger budget.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hotrod, just checking - your boots do have tech inserts for pin bindings? If not, then there's little point in getting Shifts at this point, as you don't be able to use them going uphill anyway. You'll also need to budget for skins, and if you get skins for the Xscreams, they probably won't fit the next ski you buy.
You ought to be able to find a pair of decent used skis including (alpine) bindings for around 150 euros, much less than 10 years old. If you want to do a bit of touring, rent. Then once you've got back into skiing, you'll have a better idea of what modern equipment can do for you, and can start to upgrade.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hotrod, definitely rent for your return. Over the last 20yrs the rental equipment you get has improved
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hotrod wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, all.

I am (was) an advanced skier and enjoy skiing aggressively, but I am just returning to the sport after doing little skiing for the past 20 years. I am 5'10 and 12st. Mostly ski on piste but would like to do some skinning and off piste.

The ski I am considering is a Salomon X Scream 1080, 177cm. My intent is to build my gear up progressively. I have boots and I would like to buy a new Salomon s/lab shift binding and mount the bindings on a very cheap ski (< 150 EUR) this season. I hope to be able to afford a better (new?) ski next season.

Thanks for your thoughts

IIRC. There was the 1080 and there was the X Scream (I had the X Scream Series, I think in a 179). I could be wrong, but I don't think the 1080 came in a 177 - rather a 171 and a 181.

In case I'm correct, could you confirm whether it's the 1080 (80mm waist), which is a twin tip, do everything Freestyle ski; or a X Scream Series (70mm waist I think), which was a Freeride ski of its day.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 28-10-21 10:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If they are the original colour (sounds like it from year noted) of yellow with black graphics in a salamon "swirl" with black dot in centre of graphic, then they are made in 161, 169 and 177 cm size.

Normal x-scream wouldn't have 1080 identification on them.

Brilliant ski that's credited with changing direction of ski design toward a more snowboard orientation.

Superb fun to ride with a flexible platform that will allow any amount of error and bad handling skills, but still come back underneath you somehow without a leary edge grabbing crash potential that a ski with more conventional piste focused remit can have if treated in the same way. They were built for fun and delivered that in full. If that's what you want then I'd buy them.
Any softer conditions and you can hoon them anywhere for a great day's skiing.

They, given hard icy piste and demand for very high edge grip and slalom type turns will quickly show you where the compromise is. That's not bad but just reality of their intentions and makeup.

Certainly they'd form part of a group of skis but definitely hold that malleable fun slot. Light enough to go upward with too as pretty slight construction.
latest report
ski3 wrote:
If they are the original colour (sounds like it from year noted) of yellow with black graphics in a salamon "swirl" with black dot in centre of graphic, then they are made in 161, 169 and 177 cm size.

Normal x-scream wouldn't have 1080 identification on them.

Brilliant ski that's credited with changing direction of ski design toward a more snowboard orientation.

Superb fun to ride with a flexible platform that will allow any amount of error and bad handling skills, but still come back underneath you somehow without a leary edge grabbing crash potential that a ski with more conventional piste focused remit can have if treated in the same way. They were built for fun and delivered that in full. If that's what you want then I'd buy them.
Any softer conditions and you can hoon them anywhere for a great day's skiing.

They, given hard icy piste and demand for very high edge grip and slalom type turns will quickly show you where the compromise is. That's not bad but just reality of their intentions and makeup.

Certainly they'd form part of a group of skis but definitely hold that malleable fun slot. Light enough to go upward with too as pretty slight construction.

Good post.

There is a baffling array of X Screams and the specs of the 1080 appear to change with the year....and I think there was also a 1080 Mogul.
ski holidays
"..and I think there was also a 1080 Mogul.." correct, in 2003

Salomon archive..

https://en.salomonarchive.com/search/1080/
ski holidays
too much risk in buying these. As always get a good well-fitted pair or boots first. If the boots are circa 20yrs old the shell and/or liner material are likely compromised. Then as @NickyJ, says, rent for a week, and swap to a couple of differnt pairs within the rental period (I used to do this all the time).
ski holidays
at the right size and price (50£)..they will be perfect ... all the "new" and all the "latest" is TO MOST people just marketing ..
latest report
I use a set of x screams as my rock hopper skis in Scotland when the cover is sketchy. Good fun ski, and quite good in variable terrain. NOT good for carving, hardpack or high speed on piste. They are quite soft and easy for an advanced skier to find (and pass) their limits on piste.

I would start out with a more piste oriented modern ski if returning after a break, and stick to the piste until you have your technique fully back. I have helped a few people in your circumstance and found working on skills on piste first works best.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, "There is a baffling array of X Screams and the specs of the 1080 appear to change with the year....and I think there was also a 1080 Mogul."

Yes, they seemed to use "x-scream" as overall market moniker with sub sections laying below that.

We've 161cm and 169cm in the family ski locker and still good and working well.

From the same era a friend had yellow x-scream piste type skis (no 1080 marker) that were completely opposite to the 1080 with very high (almost tingling) edge grip and pure ripping hardback performance.

They did effectively push the "1080" type into wider marketing use with things like "thruster" Embarassed etc before finally killing the family line after a few iterations, all of them generally fun/tear it up/jibing type skis though. The 1080 grouping always stood aside from piste orientated ski though.

I just ignore the flexy bit as speeds go up though, yes it's there but doesn't bite you. Also 98.6 km through the speed trap in Termignon sector of Val Cenis Toofy Grin setup to see your speed, chicane fences down at the top entry point so you could skank a fast line into the approach drop to speed gate. The last thing they'll do is tip you off anywhere.
snow report
As an example of what can be bought new: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/atomic/alpine-ski-set-vantage-x-75-r-bindings20360020

They are available in a 177; include a rail binding (easily adjustable for different boot sizes); are not an Advanced hard charging ski; are a little narrower than ideal - but should be at least as stable as the 1080s.
snow report
they are dated and while did good things in their day ...

avoid.
ski holidays
Quite a long way cool though Very Happy
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:

Forget them; don’t waste slope time on those skis.

^^This!^^
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy