Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is The Ultimate Family Christmas Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
For this season choice is already made, so asking for 2022.
Here is what I am looking for

1. Snow. Lots of snow and not just on the slopes. We are talking snowman making, messing around in the snow, tobogganing with young kids.
Much of it after the lifts are closed, so it must be at the village level and easily reachable on foot

2. Ski in/ski out. OK, may be a 50 yard walk max. Definitely no busses.

3. Large, well connected ski domain. Off piste/freeride is welcome but not critical.

4. Pretty, preferably car free, village with lots of Festive stuff: market, live music, Santa Grotto, etc.

5. Non-skiing activities: mushing, horse sledging, ice skating, etc.

Our current default choice is Val Thorens, but it lacks that village charm and of course the weather can be brutal.

Where is my dream resort? Or do I want too much?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt? If you're prepared to pay maybe.

I'd drop the fantasy schtick though and question whether what's really needed for the ultimate family resort is good wifi, charger sockets and space to get away from each other?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avoriaz might tick a lot of boxes, but i'd say possibly altitude in some of the other resorts in the Portes du Soleil might be an issue that early on in the season.

I'd say although purpose built and not that sort of traditional village, it's probably nice than Val Thorens in my opinion.

Feel like Val D'Isere/Tignes would be possible suitors also?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lapland ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val d’Isere, Courchevel 1850, Zermatt (but ski in/out will be tough).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oleski, is your list of priorities in order of importance to you? I think #4 in particular may be difficult to reconcile with the others. Avoriaz was my first thought, if you can live with the architecture.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, @mgrolf, I do like Avoriaz even if it's not a traditional village - car free and horse sledges trump that. But altitude... Ok Avoriaz itself is going to be fine, but if it rains in surrounding resorts, it's not going to be fun - we like mileage
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was going to suggest VT right away - snow being the major deciding factor. That said....I'm a sucker for Zermatt - ski-in/ski-out not really possible but amazing atmosphere.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
Lapland ?

Well that's something I never property researched. Do they have large skiing domains?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Give Arc 1950 a look - if Disney did ski holidays…
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lech!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for Lech
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's funny I don't think of Lech as a resort more a linear village of expensive hotels. It seems to lack a partcular focal point beyond the bottom of the Rufikopfbahn and that is hardly a charming village square. YMMV
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Silver Start or Big White in BC, although getting there is probably going to be a show stopper. They're small compact essentially car-free places where you could have your kids anywhere they like and they'd not really be at risk from anything other than the wildlife, plus they have those other activities and all that.

In Europe, I'd only say that big places - "large well connected" - tend to be in conflict with those other requirements, really.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Serfaus
snow report
Oleski wrote:
andy wrote:
Lapland ?

Well that's something I never property researched. Do they have large skiing domains?
No, much smaller than all the large European resorts. Not been myself at that time of year, but I think they go in for the Santa Claus stuff in a big way. Downside is potentially very cold, and also very short daylight hours.
latest report
philwig wrote:
In Europe, I'd only say that big places - "large well connected" - tend to be in conflict with those other requirements, really.
I think this is true for most places. If there are places which meet all of your criteria I’d guess they’d be in very high demand at Christmas.

Have you looked at Obergurgl?
snow conditions
@Oleski, "Where is my dream resort? Or do I want too much?"

Tough call and think the answer will be stretching some parts out while other elements get sucked in to balance the whole.

Tentatively though, Sestriere Itlay at 2040 mtrs altitude plus much mileage to offer could be interesting.

Traditional village, no. But good position and seems to offer a good basis.
ski holidays
Also https://www.inthesnow.com/magical-christmas-skiing-destinations-winter/ interesting if you've not already seen it.
latest report
Lech is really expensive and the mileage is mostly over in St Anton, must be prepared to ski a lot of moguls.
Ischgl is high, there are hotels next to the lifts, but it never struck me as child friendly
Serfaus is a bit dry, snow cover might be a problem at Christmas but is excellent for children
Val Thorens is a place I never warmed up to (pun intended) I would take Val disere, Tignes or even Les Arcs 1800 or 1950 over it.
High, after hours sledding, snowmen could be Obertauern, but the skiing is limited. Close to Salzburg for markets etc
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Oleski wrote:
andy wrote:
Lapland ?

No, much smaller than all the large European resorts. Not been myself at that time of year, but I think they go in for the Santa Claus stuff in a big way. Downside is potentially very cold, and also very short daylight hours.

And all drag lifts! Levi is supposedly close to lapland
snow report
@ski3, we had one year when we went to Sestriere at New Year and only a handful of pistes were open - there was only snowmaking. It's high but just a little too far south to be totally confident about Christmas.

I suspect there are several places that could provide what @Oleski is looking for in Switzerland, but it depends on his price requirements. France you would be looking at a purpose built place to be totally confident about Christmas. I have less experience of Austria but when we have been the villages have been down in the valleys: not necessarily getting snow even if the ski area does. Maybe there are options in the Dolomites?
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
And all drag lifts! Levi is supposedly close to lapland
Yes, too many drag lifts for sure. Not exclusively though - Ruka in Finland has a mix of drags, chairlifts and a fairly new gondola.
snow conditions
Trysil, Norway?

TBH you have too many requirements. Kids don't necessarily need a big mega ski resort. May be better to make two trips.
latest report
rjj501 wrote:
Give Arc 1950 a look - if Disney did ski holidays…

Yes, I know 1950 pretty well. It's definitely a strong candidate. Expensive, but what did I expect.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, @sugardaddy, Serfaus looks interesting, thanks.

@rob@rar,
Quote:

Have you looked at Obergurgl?

Yes, I did and it does look good. I have never been to any Austrian resorts, may be it's time.
snow conditions
@sugardaddy,
You are wrong about Lech’s mileage
Lech-Zürs-Warth (“Arlberg-West”) has 190 km of pistes;
St.Anton-St.Christoph-Stuben (“Arlberg-East”) has 115 km pistes.

The village of Lech had a white cover even in the very problematic Christmas periods of 2014-15-16.
Maybe only Obergurgl beats that.
But Lech is much more charming than Obergurgl.
Lech has trees.... Eh oh!
The toboggan-run Oberlech-Lech (with nonstop cable-car service, included in skipass!) is epic. And fully covered by snow-cannons
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Lech’s focal point is it’s quite unique church! (and there is a nice little square next to it)
Apart from that, yes, Lech is simply small. But its setting is just gorgeous, with pistes running into village center.
And snow. Did i mention snow?
At Christmas, nothing beats Lech for the combination of snow-reliability+pretty village
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oleski wrote:

1. Snow. Lots of snow and not just on the slopes. We are talking snowman making, messing around in the snow, tobogganing with young kids.
Much of it after the lifts are closed, so it must be at the village level and easily reachable on foot

2. Ski in/ski out. OK, may be a 50 yard walk max. Definitely no busses.

3. Large, well connected ski domain. Off piste/freeride is welcome but not critical.

4. Pretty, preferably car free, village with lots of Festive stuff: market, live music, Santa Grotto, etc.

5. Non-skiing activities: mushing, horse sledging, ice skating, etc.

Our current default choice is Val Thorens, but it lacks that village charm and of course the weather can be brutal.

The North Pole. But forget the horses snowHead
snow report
I thought of Lech when I read the OP, too. Very nice place - though I confess that when I skied there, I was based in St Anton for my holidays. It does tick a lot of boxes.
snow conditions
Oleski wrote:

Wengen delivers everything you’ve asked for, but you'll have to pray for snow in and around the village (pistes will be fine - almost 100% snowmaking coverage). We do usually get natural snow for Xmas though, but as ever, there are no guarantees.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy