Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Benefits of New Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Context: 65 year old, 'agricultural', or 'rough' skier, intermediate with about 20 weeks over 6 years after a late start at 58. Currently on ex rental skis which are fine (and would I know the difference anyway). Apart from cutting a corner for devilment I stay on piste. As my bones age, I'm leaning toward cruising more than proving I can 'do' blacks.

Will there be tangible benefits in me having new skis? (Other than being true to Rule 3 Very Happy ) I have my own boots btw.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you had any lessons recently? If not perhaps book some (private) the next time you go and see what the instructor thinks about your skiing and your skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Advantages:

1. You can choose the ski that suits you best - No guarantee the hire shop will have what you want.
2. You get to "know" the ski you use - rather than having to get used to a different ski each holiday
3. You can service them how you want - eg. choose edge angles
4. Pride of owning "My Precious". snowHead

Disadvantages

1. Cost of Carriage if flying
2. Cost of servicing - cheaper if doing this yourself
3. If hiring, can choose the ski for the conditions
4. Your own skis will be left behind from a technology pov...and will need replaced
5. Hauling them to the resort

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 25-10-21 9:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Advantages:

1. You can choose the ski that suits you best - No guarantee the hire shop will have what you want.
2. You get to "know" the ski you use - rather than having to get used to a different ski each holiday
3. You can service them how you want - eg. choose edge angles
4. You don’t have to queue in the hire shop when you get to resort.
5. Pride of owning "My Precious". snowHead

Disadvantages

1. Cost of Carriage if flying
2. Cost of servicing - cheaper if doing this yourself
3. If hiring, can choose the ski for the conditions
4. Your own skis will be left behind from a technology pov...and will need replaced
5. Hauling them to the resort

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-10-21 9:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Problem 1 & 5 sorted

https://elanskis.com/eu/voyager
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Problem 2 partially solved for an one off investment, just edges to do

https://offpistemag.com/dps-phantom/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charliegolf wrote:
Context: 65 year old, 'agricultural', or 'rough' skier, intermediate with about 20 weeks over 6 years after a late start at 58. Currently on ex rental skis which are fine (and would I know the difference anyway). Apart from cutting a corner for devilment I stay on piste. As my bones age, I'm leaning toward cruising more than proving I can 'do' blacks.

Will there be tangible benefits in me having new skis? (Other than being true to Rule 3 Very Happy ) I have my own boots btw.

Thanks.

Yes but the benefit will depend on how good / suitable the existing ex rentals are, and how good / suitable the new skis you buy are
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll add a couple more pros and cons.

Pros,
On occaisions the hire shop may refuse to rent you skis with your own boots - it has happened to me.
You have no reason to spend any time in the hire shop, so not tempted to buy yet another bobble hat or other gizmo.
Over time they can save you a lot of money, especially if you ski more than 6 days a year
You can stand proud in the lift queue with your 2m long skiniy skis, flowing grey hair, flourescent one piece ski suit and really look the part. (even better with 2.5m skis and a norwegian wool sweater as shown in Der weiße Rausch)

Cons,
You have to store them
You worry about every pebble on the piste
You worry about them being stolen
You get annowed when people ski over them
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Couple of clarifications

I own ex rentals, so rental not an issue.
We drive, so carriage not an issue.
I already have n+1 flourescent one-pieces, so no issue! Very Happy

I was exploring the "Will I be a better skier with £600 skis?" I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After renting a pair one year , and loving them , I bought my Nordica Navigator 85's back in 2018 and have probably skied on them 6 times since.
I did not pay full price - glisshop discounted.
Came with Marker Griffon bindings

I also bought myself some lightweight carbon poles (kerma speedzone).

Takes another variable away - only my technique and the snow conditions to focus on.

The transport (£ 50 per trip) and servicing (£ 20-£ 30 per week) are a faff - but overall I am probably saving money instead of renting (£ 100 per week?).

And I know my skis are well maintained / waxed . And the bindings are high end. And my poles are lovely and light...

I stuff other things in the ski bag anyway.

The problem is - once you have your own skis - you are always looking for the next pair.... I am tempted to go up to the Enforcers and a little wider...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf, why not rent for a couple of days on your next holiday, and try out several different pairs? If you go into a shop mid week when they're quiet, and indicate that you're considering buying, then the shop will likely be more than happy to help you choose a few sensible skis to try. If you can't tell the difference, then stick with what you've got. However, you might find that one or more skis just feels better to you.

But in simple terms, no, new skis won't make you a better skier. Lessons will. If you take a lesson or two, you could also ask your instructor for advice once they've seen you ski.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Charliegolf wrote:
Couple of clarifications

I was exploring the "Will I be a better skier with £600 skis?" I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

I doubt they would make you a better skier but your own skis might allow you to ski better. What would be the quality of ski you might buy over what you get when you rent. Are the rental’s properly serviced when you get them?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charliegolf wrote:
Couple of clarifications

Where do you usually ski? If you have the chance to try a pair of Kastle’s or Stockli’s you can get a feel for what a really high quality pair of skis feels like. I’m sure there are many other good piste skis out there but these are 2 brands who consistently deliver IME.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Charliegolf, it's very nice popping on your own skis and knowing how they will work before you set off. Will you ski better? Possibly in that you get to sense how to ski them under different conditions.

FWIW I ski on an ageing pair of Kneissl Black Star XCs which I bought new yonks ago at a Pre Season Bash from Tim McCann. Love them. Ideal for me since I no longer ski off piste. I am in no rush to change them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Charliegolf, what are the skis you own? As far as I can see you haven't said.
snow report
@Charliegolf, rentals are not always as good "quality" as the retail versions they look like.

So you might just find new "real" skis are ""nicer" ...
snow report
Quote:

I was exploring the "Will I be a better skier with £600 skis?" I'm pretty sure I know the answer

Probably not. Will it make skiing more enjoyable for you - quite possibly.

The thread is a bit pointless though unless you actually say what skis you currently have. For all we know you could have a top end, pretty much brand new, modern ski that fits your needs perfectly. On the other hand you could have some very old, bottom of the range, trashed ex rentals, in the wong size, designed for completely different stuff than your requirements. Obviously it makes a huge difference in terms of how much upgrade you will get in performance/enjoyment.
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
While little other than good instruction+experience will make you a better skier, using skis that suit your needs well, will inevitably allow you to ski better.

How to find the ski that suits you though...
Opportunities to test skis should be coveted and jumped upon - the first thing you'll you'll learn is how different one pair of skis feels from the next. The second thing you'll learn is where the boundary lies between what is the skis, and what is you.

You've missed the snowHeads OktoberTest this year but @spyderjon always makes sure there are test skis at the EoSB.
Other ski tests exists though, often run by resorts or manufacturers: if you see one advertised, jump at the opportunity! snowHead
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
@Charliegolf, what are the skis you own? As far as I can see you haven't said.

Ha! They are in the garage loft, and I can't recall... will check.
snow conditions
If YOU can’t identify what is missing from the current ski, there will be no clear benefit in new skis.

Sorry, you can’t find justification with vagueness like that!

But if you’ve got money burning a hole in your wallet, by all means get a new pair (or two, or three, or more…)
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:

Ha! They are in the garage loft, and I can't recall ... will check.

I think that level of ungeeky disinterest answers your question.
ski holidays
Get a snowboard Happy
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:

The transport (£ 50 per trip) and servicing (£ 20-£ 30 per week) are a faff - but overall I am probably saving money instead of renting (£ 100 per week?)..

Not sure you are, you can generally rent skis that are last seasons (so still newer than yours) for £80 per week. There are plenty of reasons to buy stills but cost saving isn't the best one.
ski holidays
If it’s going to help your confidence then go for it. Keep an eye out for the sales, sometimes you can get 50% off
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Agreed
ski holidays
Quote:

The transport (£ 50 per trip) and servicing (£ 20-£ 30 per week) are a faff

True, I suppose, but Iv'e only paid for ski transport once in the last 10 years and the only time I had them serviced in the resort it cost 10€. It depends a lot on your pattern of skiing. We drive, self cater and service our own skis.
latest report
@Charliegolf, a lot of people seem to have not read what you have written.

20 weeks in 6 years means you are keen and doing a fair bit of skiing.
Ex-rentals are likely to be quite poor.
At 65 and skiing 3+ weeks a year I presume you are not skint so can easily afford a decent pair.
You already own so some of the cons such as transport and maintenance don't apply - you could of course ditch the ex-rentals and rent on a week by week basis, although that brings it's own issues.

You say "would I know the difference anyway" well I think quite possibly you will. Depending on how bad the ex-rentals are the core could be shot so feel noodly, the edges may be shot and even with good servicing difficult to get right, design/material wise they could behind what is currently available.

Maybe next time you are out in resort, go to a good shop tell them you want to buy and your skiing profile and try before you buy.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

I've recovered from the stinging jibes, given myself a Rule 5 self-chat and got the geeky details.

They are Rossignol Pursuit 14; 163cm. They have numbers 125,72, 105 on the side.

I am 175cm, 72 kilos.

But I suspect the answer to my question is,

"If you are a crappish but confident, happy skier, then shiny new skis will be akin to lipstick on a pig." Am I right?

On instruction, we always (Mrs G too) have a couple of hours one to one on each trip.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, Cheers, all makes sense. Noted your first sentence, but am far too polite to mention it! Very Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 26-10-21 10:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
Get a snowboard Happy

Get behind me Satan! Very Happy
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
@Layne, Cheers, all makes sense. Noted your first sentence, but am far to polite to mention it! Very Happy

Are your current ones nice to look at? Don't underestimate how nice it is to see a pretty pair of skis resting in the corner of your living room, apartment, etc. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-10-21 10:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:
@Layne, Cheers, all makes sense. Noted your first sentence, but am far to polite to mention it! Very Happy

Are your current ones nice to look at? Don't underestimate how nice it is to see a pretty pair of skis testing in the corner of your living room, apartment, etc. snowHead

Have we met? You seem to know me very well lol Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Don't underestimate how nice it is to see a pretty pair of skis testing in the corner of your living room, apartment, etc.

It fires great images in my head of the skis testing me while sitting in the corner of the apartment - saying "come on mate get on and ski - don't just sit there looking at me"
ski holidays
@Charliegolf,
Quote:

On instruction, we always (Mrs G too) have a couple of hours one to one on each trip.

Great, talk to your instructor about their suitability to your skiing and what you are trying to achieve.
Infact what would you like the new skis to achieve with your skiing? More control? Better stability at speed? Better performance in difficult snow conditions? Prettier? Have a think about what it is you'd like to improve/change.
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

They are Rossignol Pursuit 14; 163cm. They have numbers 125,72, 105 on the side.

I am 175cm, 72 kilos.

https://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/skis/rossignol-pursuit-14
https://www.skis.com/Rossignol-Pursuit-14-Skis-with-Axium-110-TPI2-Bindings-2015/382500P,default,pd.html

Looks like they are about 6/7 years old, which isn't too bad. Standardish recreational to intermediate piste ski. 163 seems a tad short perhaps.

To be honest, of more interest might be there history. A lot of ex-rentals are pretty lifeless for obvious reasons (effectively compressing 10-20 years normal use into a season or two). You might just find it more fun on something that is newer and/or beyond a recreational/intermediate ski. And skiing is all about having fun right.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Are your current ones nice to look at? Don't underestimate how nice it is to see a pretty pair of skis resting in the corner of your living room, apartment, etc. snowHead

and when they are new you can stroke them
ski holidays
jedster wrote:

and when they are new you can stroke them

Wearing them while watching tv going too far, maybe? Very Happy

Decision made*: have some lessons as usual; chat to instructor, take advice, flash Mastercard if so advised.

*If we get out of the country... (4th-31st Jan booked in 3V, cancellation up to 3rd.)
latest report
You can also lovingly, file, fill, wax and polish them! If you are so inclined!
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, The reason a new ski feels sooo good is that the base and edges are as good as they will ever be! Keep them waxed and edged, and they will stay that way for a long time wink
ski holidays
I have an old pair of beloved skis that I kept hanging to because they seemed to be fine and I didn’t want to wind up with 38 pairs (I am very aware that buying ski hardware is addictive!).
They have probably seen 20 weeks use and have been well maintained.

I finally caved in last December and bought new ones.
The main thing I found was how much “livelier” the new ones were. When people talk about the ski springing back to you, I was never sure what they were on about. Until I put the new ones on.
I guess over time I had just sort of “broken the backs” of the old skis.

My performance actually DID improve just for having new skis. Because they “work” properly and I get the feedback you’re meant to from them.

So, yes. I would say new skis might well improve your skiing.
Unless you try, you won’t find out!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy