Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription inserts - anti fog

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some prescription inserts for the first time and was wondering whether to pay the extra for the anti-fog coating. Is it worth it or will some anti-fog spray work as well?

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been suffering from terrible fogging issues from wearing my mask and bought some anti fog spray...useless! I now have an anti fog cloth which has been brilliant - lasts a good few days for each treatment....yet to try it in the harsh mountain conditions though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never found inserts work well. I bought a helmet with a built in visor that went over my glasses, works perfectly. But if you do go the inserts route a simple non fogging technique used for many years by motorcyclist is to put a (very) small drop of washing up liquid on the lens and rub in and polish until clear. Try it out in your specs, works every time, just don't overdo the amount or you'll be polishing for ages.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 25-10-21 8:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
do you mean these clips? i wanted for the children, but finally i decied für Helme with Visor.
The clips are too big for child Ski Mask.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MikeM wrote:
Never found inserts work well. I bought a helmet with a built in visor that went over my glasses, works perfectly. But if you do go the inserts route a simple non fogging technique used for many years by motorcyclist is to put a (very) small drop of washing up liquid on the lens and rub in and polish until clear. Try it out in your specs, works every time, just don't overdo the amount or you'll be polishing for ages.

yeap. I have done this for diving masks and works.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have prescription inserts.
They are great for skiing and scuba (as you face forwards) , rubbish for snowboarding as you are side on and there is a big blind spot (variance in focus) around the peripheries.
I just use the washing up liquid technique too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't wear goggles that often, only in the foulest of weather, and then I use the Snow Vision goggles and they are superb

https://stylealtitude.com/prescription-ski-goggles.html

When not wearing goggles I use prescription varifocal sunnies all the time, as well as on the bike, running hiking, just about everything!

My frames are Bolle Bolt and a month or so ago I lost a lens, and as I was well overdue on having my eyes checked, I combined that with getting some new glasses, except the outfit I bought them from is no longer trading.

So I went to my normal cheapo optician to see what he can do, and as luck would have it he was thinking about doing Bolle.

As well as Bolle he also will do Cebe so if anyone is interested in getting some prescription sunnies he said he'd do a good price etc

I know he's meeting the rep again tomorrow to get the pricing sorted.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They're not for everyone but I went with contacts for this very reason. Means I don't have to worry about the visor/insert/glasses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, looks like you're sorted but for anyone else looking for lenses, I found these guys - https://www.thesunglassfix.com - for replacement lenses for my old Adidas Climacools.

They seem to deal with any brand and can give your old sun specs new life. It's an Australian company and the lenses took a couple of weeks to arrive so don't leave any order until the last minute!

As for goggle inserts, mine fog up as soon as I stop as I run quite hot; I'm forever looking for an anti-fog solution.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jd_evans, just to reiterate, that I'm talking about prescription lenses (Varifocal lenses reading & distance) for sunglasses and not just ordinary sunglass lenses.

And on my last opticians visit they assessed that my eyes were to dry to wear contact lenses.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I opted for the anti fog treatment on the inserts and they have been fine, I don't know how much this has came into play but I also believe well ventilated goggles help aswell. I have used them with poc corneas but will be using them poc retinas this season.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use prescription inserts in goggles (my eyes are too dry to sleep through the night, let alone wear contacts!) and with anti fog wipes find they are fine for piste skiing. They will tend to start fogging if the effort/airflow balance is off (i.e. having to pole/skate a flat section or sat on a chair after a hard run) but clear really quickly once you set off down hill and get the air flowing through them.

They didn't work so well on back country week as there's a lot more effort to get any airflow so I might try the washing-up liquid option this year (and a jacket with better ventillation to try and keep my body temp. down during the hike phase).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I also use the prescription inserts and have done so for more than a decade. I have rarely experienced fogging problems. Key thing is airflow. For me a buff round my neck or anything similar causes fogging. I assume rising warm air causes the problem.

I went with both the anti fog coating and carry anti fog wipes. Having dived, I'm familiar with the tricks for keeping a mask clear but it's easier not to have to employ them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jd_evans, thanks for posting that site for replacement lenses.

I had an old pair of Raybans I really liked but of course stepped on them an shattered a lens. B&L stopped stocking the lenses as they were so old. I was about to chuck the frames out when I luckily I saw your post and those guys had them. Took a while to get here as posted from Australia but turned out great and not too pricey.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An alternative solution is to not use goggles (which are challenging for prescription + non fogging solutions) and ski with prescription glasses.

There are plenty of frames which go around the eyes so you don't get too much airflow. Look at stuff like Julbo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=julbo&crid=T5BH31RJ95ZR&sprefix=julbo%2Caps%2C98&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&tag=amz07b-21
Buy the sunglasses, chuck away the lenses, get prescription lenses made (yellow/orange material from Zeiss works great and is just as good for contrast as the Oakley Prism stuff which works but is much over-hyped) and the only time you will get condensation is from wearing a buff when not moving.

Optically, this solution is vastly better than anything possible with goggles.

If it is snowing heavily then you can wear goggles over the top, or wear a helmet with a visor.
snow conditions
I don't get it. I wear glasses full time and have worn them for 50 years. The only problem I have ever had is when I enter the lodge. Never a problem on the slope even with goggles on. My current and prior goggles were made to go over glasses.

I now have goggles with a fan in them (same make and model as my prior goggles, just with a fan). I almost never use the fan, but when I do it is awesome and I use it to clear the goggles rather than my glasses. I only need the fan on for about 30 seconds. I only bought these goggles after everyone of about 10 people I was skiing with had ice/snow build up and none of us could see anything for multiple runs. Problem solved.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy