Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lifting the Vail

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here's an idea other resorts could follow to clean up after the snow has gone.
Minimal cost to the resort and I'd love to know the volume of rubbish they clear from the area.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kuwait_ian, that needs a registration. However, it's common round the Alpes already.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Registration is actually minimal - it wants your sex, age and for people outside the US it doesn't seem to care about the location.

I've always wondered what ski resorts looked like after the snow melted, as a winters worth of dog turds and cigarette butts were being revealed at Val Thorens over Easter I got the impression that it wouldn't be very nice rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In fact if you just click "outside US" it doesn't care about anything - obviously they are only interested in Americans!! Confused snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry about that ise, I haven't been asked to register. I always check links before posting and it went straight in and still does. Maybe it's a browser settings thing ? Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If I click on "Outside US" (don't fill anything in) the article appears without further ado.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kuwait_ian wrote:
Sorry about that ise, I haven't been asked to register. I always check links before posting and it went straight in and still does. Maybe it's a browser settings thing ? Cool

No, you have a cookie presumably.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Funnily enough, the first time I went it asked for registration, I didn't fill anything and came back here. The second time I went - intending to click on "Outside the US" and it went straight to the article. A bug in their code, methinks?

Anyway, they must clear-up in Alpine resorts as I've yet to find my feet trailing through a ridge of cigarette buts whilst on a chairlift.

(Nearly said "fag buts", but didn't want to put an image into the mind of our American friends...doh!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
straight in for me too - may well be dodgy code
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For those having access trouble and not wanting to register, in summary it said if you volunteered to help on one special cleanup day you got a free lunch on the mountain and a one day free lift pass for next season. I just liked the idea of the incentives. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A great scheme.
People who chuck litter around on mountains should be chucked off the same mountains.
Call the Piste Police.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A lot of French resorts organise cleanup. You wouldn't believe the amount of junk that is found. At Val Thorens a friend of mine found three pieces of ladies undeware including a sexy black lace string. You wonder why these items are discarded adjacent to ski pistes. I also have a nice ladies gold watch which nobody claimed.

When I go into the mountains I carry a shopping bag and pick up rubbish I find. Recently we cleaned up around a mountain refuge and burned the rubbish we discovered, not all of it very pleasant.

I'm also a member of Mountain Wilderness in France which organises larger cleanup operations. In 2002 we took down abandonned ski lifts on the Chaviere glacier in Val Thorens and on the Bramans glacier in the Maurienne. This year huge quantities of cables were removed from the Chamchaude mountain in Chamrousse. I think some kind of tax should be put on the construction of ski lifts and pistes to put them back into their natural state when ski resorts abandon them.

The next big French operation is in the Mercantour national park where old military installations are being removed. Operations of this nature need major backing

http://france.mountainwilderness.org/download/document/IOMercant04.pdf

The amount of military detrius along Europeans border's is shocking. In some bunkers there are dangerous munitions left to rot since the first world war.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's said that many of the technically bankrupt Japanese ski resorts - and there are quite a few - are only running because the statutory removal of the lift installations if the resorts cease operations costs more than keeping them going!

Please note "It's said" - I've not verified it.

P.S. Excellent work, davidof. My late mum used to go around her local London park picking up other people's rubbish and disposing of it. Some countries make it your duty to sweep the pavement outside your house. All good ideas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was skiing with a French friend last year - who looks like a white version of Mike Tyson, but larger and more frightening, with a more suitable voice for the frame. Pausing for a breather, a teenager stopped near us, dropped an empty drinks can, and made to ski off. JP made it clear that the kid would have to learn an entirely new technique to be able to ski once the can had been placed where the sun doesn't shine. The can was promptly picked up and off he meekly went.

A Parisienne witnessed the exchange. "Disgusting!", she said. We were about to agree with her whileheartedly when she carried on... "Poor little boy. You scared him half to death!"

Speechless, we woz.

I don't know, what's the world coming to.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG wrote:

A Parisienne witnessed the exchange. "Disgusting!", she said. We were about to agree with her whileheartedly when she carried on... "Poor little boy. You scared him half to death!"

There are a lot of folk, not just les Parigots, who think it is their godgiven right to pollute the environment. Gives jobs to people who clean up after them dunnit? Witness the hundres of rusting Citroens and Renaults dumped at the bottom of gorges in the mountains.

Still some people are trying to make a difference, some groups are having a big clean-up at the Tourmalet today, although reports are they will have to melt the snow first!

http://ski.agoride.com/docs/img_paragraphe/000117/011656P.jpg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy