Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder skis for a heavy guy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there Smile

I had around 60 ski days in the past 3 years and now I feel very comfortable on piste on any conditions and this season I want to try off-piste.
I'll book a course for January(probably Verbier) and as I already have my own boots and piste ski, I'm planning to buy new skis for powder.

At a first glance, I was really interested in the Fischer Ranger 102 (https://www.fischersports.com/ranger-102-fr-2398), heard great things about this one and it looks nice for a first powder ski.

I heard this one can also be very good on-piste, but to be honest, I already have my Elan Amphibio 18ti2 (73mm waist) for piste and I love it, I don't really need to sacrifice powder performance on my fat ski to be on-piste capable, I don't mind travelling with 2 skis.
Do you think this would be a nice one or should I go wider? I am a powerful skier, 1.78m tall and almost 100kg but not really fat, I like to hit the gym Laughing
Because of my weight, should I go wider? Something in the 110 width range?

Also, as I'm not worried about on-piste performance, should I focus on wooden skis instead of titanium ones?
As I said, I'm not a beginner skier anymore but I have never skied powder, so going for a very experienced fat ski may also not be the best fit, I guess something more playful is the way to go.

What do you guys think? I also considered Head Kore 105 or 111.
Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 23-09-21 8:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
102 isn't a modern powder ski for a full sized male. It'll be fine to get you started but longer term you'll probably want something wider. Just pester @adithorp a lot by pm. He's got some nice DPS that he probably won't be up to using wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AndreSilva,

1. wot @dotm wrote. I ski a 98mm as my daily driver on or off piste. You probably want to go wider.

2. That said, how often do you really get the opportunity to ski real powder in Europe? You line in the Netherlands right? Presumably you can't just decide the night before that you're going to be on the first tram the next morning? Is owning a relatively compromised ski worth it?

3. Forget about materials, construction, geometry. You're planning a week's course. Rent. (It'll probs be somewhere with good rentals), ask instructors' advice, swap around, buy what you actually like skiing on.

4. Colour. Do not buy the wrong colour. Make sure the bindings co-ordinate. Colour is key.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndreSilva,

1. wot @dotm wrote. I ski a 98mm as my daily driver on or off piste. You probably want to go wider.

2. That said, how often do you really get the opportunity to ski real powder in Europe? You line in the Netherlands right? Presumably you can't just decide the night before that you're going to be on the first tram the next morning? Is owning a relatively compromised ski worth it?

3. Forget about materials, construction, geometry. You're planning a week's course. Rent. (It'll probs be somewhere with good rentals), ask instructors' advice, swap around, buy what you actually like skiing on.

4. Colour. Do not buy the wrong colour. Make sure the bindings co-ordinate. Colour is key.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndreSilva, DPS Wailer 112. Will make you ski like a God.

In Verbier you can rent them on the hill at Ski Service.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zernatt ski test, try as many as you can, then decide if worth buying or just renting on occasion
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mooney058, not necessarily super handy from NL Happy ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, did it from Belgium - used to be loads of flights to Geneve, hop on a train and on to Zermatt. Did Friday morning to late Sunday, all worked very well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mooney058 wrote:
@under a new name, did it from Belgium - used to be loads of flights to Geneve, hop on a train and on to Zermatt. Did Friday morning to late Sunday, all worked very well.

To be honest I do those long weekends quite a lot. If I have someone with me, usually I drive from NL on Thursday around 16h and come back Sunday evening.
There is also a bus that picks me up in Eindhoven on a Thursday night and come back Sunday night, I sleep in the bus thoughout the night and it costs around 130 euros only Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 23-09-21 8:59; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

I agree that in general, when not living in the alps I will not get that beautiful fluffy Japan like powder in Europe... but I like to have my own skis. Usually, I ski 20-30 days a year, rent would be more expensive especially considering that most of my trips are by car, so no need to pay extra for dispatching the skis. And it is not only for the money, I like to be consistent and always having the same equipament.
Although maybe for the first time in the course I'm thinking about renting... then I can even swap with some friend to test theirs and then buy the one I liked most Smile

under a new name wrote:

Didn't know the colour was so important... maybe I should change my boots to colour match as well! Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 23-09-21 9:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:

Those ones seem very nice, maybe renting for the course is not a bad idea.
Although, if I like them I will have a problem because they are quite expensive ones Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Im a similar size to you and I ski on a Dynastar Legend 96. Absolutely love em... They are very similar to the DPS skis mentioned in that they have 5 point rocker and a fairly traditional camber. I prefer a slightly narrower ski than most would recommend as my knees are trashed and anything wider causes me pain when skiing hard snow and on on piste.

I think the key for you is to make sure you get a flat ski that you can mount good bindings to and stick with a more traditional camber, highly rocketed skis won't give you enough edge engagement when skiing on ice

Dont know the Fischers but I also would suggest a stiffer ski with Ti at your weight
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndreSilva wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Those ones seem very nice, maybe renting for the course is not a bad idea.
Although, if I like them I will have a problem because they are quite expensive ones Laughing

If you’re in Verbier (and the conditions are good) I have a few pairs of DPS skis you can try out. Once you try the Spoons no ski will ever match up…

But yes, it’s an expensive fix. They are generally well made so 2nd hand is a good option.

Also have some Blizzard Rustler 11’s (114mm) with Shifts which will work in Freeride boots
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Review of the Ranger 102
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/ski-reviews/2018-2019-fischer-ranger-fr-102

Sounds like a great ski

And the bigger 115
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/ski-reviews/2018-2019-fischer-ranger-115-fr

I skied with Brian, who reviewed those skis last season, and he’s a very strong skier. A big brute of a guy who’s a Verbier pro also skis them. Not for the faint hearted I suspect.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndreSilva, I realise you are based in NL, but I would have a word with Jon at The Piste Office.

He is an independent retailer who has extensive knowledge of pretty much all the skis on the market. He is likely to have supplied or at least mounted and worked on all the skis that you have considered or are having suggested to you.

My thoughts: As all have said go wider than 102 if you want a ski for 3D snow. If you ski mainly in Europe (as opposed to Japan or Utah etc) and weigh circa 100kg I personally think the DPS offering would not be ideal. You want a ski for European off piste and that means the ability to handle crud, breakable crust, etc, so at 100kg I would go for a European brand who design their skis for that, ie a bit burlier.

Google Piste Office, speak to Jon, even if he doesn't end up sorting you out you will get decent helpful insights.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, I'm just about to buy some powder skis, and have been considering the DPS Wailer 112.

Do you know how these would fare in non-optimal off piste conditions? At the moment, I ski a Volkl mantra, which is excellent for cutting through crud. I just wondered whether the DPS Wailers would be able to do this too.
snow conditions
Oh, and just one more thought (after reading @BobinCH's post above):

You need to balance a ski that's burly enough for your weight, but not so hard core it puts you off. So you want a ski that's construction is 'solid' but who's design is 'playful' (that's the best way I can think to put it into words).
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Review of the Ranger 102
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/ski-reviews/2018-2019-fischer-ranger-fr-102

Sounds like a great ski

And the bigger 115
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/ski-reviews/2018-2019-fischer-ranger-115-fr

I skied with Brian, who reviewed those skis last season, and he’s a very strong skier. A big brute of a guy who’s a Verbier pro also skis them. Not for the faint hearted I suspect.

They were very enthusiastic on the 102 indeed Madeye-Smiley
I think that is the perfect first ski for off-piste in general for a first-timer off-piste guy. Good to hear that in the review he says that heavier skiers like me will flex it easier.
My only concern is about the 102 waist... not sure if that is too narrow for a 100kg guy Puzzled
snow report
@midgetbiker, I’m not far short of 100kg and DPS are plenty of ski. Went to them after a few years of skiing burly off piste skis with lots of metal and it was a blessed relief most of the time

Haven’t tried DPS tour construction so this comment applies to their standard construction
latest report
I have few pairs of powder/touring skis ranging from 86mm for spring touring and steep stuff, to 125mm for big powder days. Sure if conditions are great, there's nothing better then those Rossi Super7 RD, but at least around here (Slovenia, south/central Austria) conditions that 125 would be really required and would be way better then let's say 105, are so seldom that I would say it's not really worth bothering. Even on good winter (minus those few exceptional days here and there), some 80% of my skiing is on 105mm skis. Main thing is really not those few mm more or less but shape of ski and length (and mount point Wink ). I can't comment on weight, as I'm "only" 75kg (at 181cm), so I don't know how things would be for 25kg more, but I would say you would still be perfectly fine with something around 105mm.
As for mixing with piste, no matter what people say, powder or "powder" skis on piste just don't work. Yeah sure, I'm used to FIS race skis, which means around 65mm underfoot, and then comparing how those skis ski compared to something like 105mm is not fair. But if you are happy to travel with piste skis and powder skis, then absolutely go for 2 pairs. It so much better that it's worth doing it, especially because then you can have proper piste ski and proper powder ski and not something that sort of works everywhere but it's never great in anything.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
102 isn't a modern powder ski for a full sized male. It'll be fine to get you started but longer term you'll probably want something wider. Just pester @adithorp a lot by pm. He's got some nice DPS that he probably won't be up to using wink

Thanks for the plug. The DPS are staying for now but the 108cl Rangers with framebindings are available.
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
As for mixing with piste, no matter what people say, powder or "powder" skis on piste just don't work. Yeah sure, I'm used to FIS race skis, which means around 65mm underfoot, and then comparing how those skis ski compared to something like 105mm is not fair. But if you are happy to travel with piste skis and powder skis, then absolutely go for 2 pairs. It so much better that it's worth doing it, especially because then you can have proper piste ski and proper powder ski and not something that sort of works everywhere but it's never great in anything.

I agree!
Most of my trips are by car or bus, to be honest I have never got a flight to go ski, always think that the hassle is too much to dispatch and still have to get a bus transfer, with my car takes from 10h to 12h to Austria/France and there is no problem at all to bring 2 skis Smile
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:

My thoughts: As all have said go wider than 102 if you want a ski for 3D snow. If you ski mainly in Europe (as opposed to Japan or Utah etc) and weigh circa 100kg I personally think the DPS offering would not be ideal. You want a ski for European off piste and that means the ability to handle crud, breakable crust, etc, so at 100kg I would go for a European brand who design their skis for that, ie a bit burlier.

Google Piste Office, speak to Jon, even if he doesn't end up sorting you out you will get decent helpful insights.

IME for breakable crust you don’t want a burlier ski, you want a softer, more rockered ski that keeps your tips above the crust and makes turning easier. Turning in crust is damn hard! I have never skied an easier to turn pow ski than the DPS wailer 112 hybrid/foundation - it is the perfect beginner/intermediate powder ski because it is so easy to ski and will make you feel like a champion. On the other hand in chopped up snow, and firmer conditions and when you start skiing faster and taking more committed lines, you want a burlier ski that does not get deflected so easily. In DPS you have the Pure/Alchemist/Pagoda for that.

Jon is great and I’ve bought skis and bindings from him but he doesn’t stock DPS.
latest report
I'm only 76kg and find the Nordica Enforcer Free in 104mm to be a fantastic piste and off piste ski. It's got a little more rocker than the standard Enforcer range so is more geared up towards off piste. For powder the Bent Chetlers in 120mm are my go to but they are tiring if you end up doing a lot of piste skiing. For a fat ski they are extremely nimble in the forests.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Turning in crust is damn hard! I have never skied an easier to turn pow ski than the DPS wailer 112 hybrid/foundation - it is the perfect beginner/intermediate powder ski because it is so easy to ski and will make you feel like a champion.

Thanks for the tips!
By the things you wrote, I would guess you have A LOT of experience with powder right ? So if that is a good ski for you, I wonder if for someone like me(that have never skied powder ever) would really be a suitable ski?
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I'm only 76kg and find the Nordica Enforcer Free in 104mm to be a fantastic piste and off piste ski. It's got a little more rocker than the standard Enforcer range so is more geared up towards off piste. For powder the Bent Chetlers in 120mm are my go to but they are tiring if you end up doing a lot of piste skiing. For a fat ski they are extremely nimble in the forests.

Do you think the Bent Chetler is good enough for European style powder? Isn't it too wide? Sounds like a ski for Japan-like powder, when you have that very soft snow many meters deep.
I guess how much technique you have also counts a lot in this case Very Happy
snow conditions
I find them fine, a very versatile ski but I live out in the Austrian Alps so have a choice of skis. If I only had one pair I'd go for the Enforcers. But one winter I clocked up about 40 days on the Bents.

ski holidays
AndreSilva wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Turning in crust is damn hard! I have never skied an easier to turn pow ski than the DPS wailer 112 hybrid/foundation - it is the perfect beginner/intermediate powder ski because it is so easy to ski and will make you feel like a champion.

Thanks for the tips!
By the things you wrote, I would guess you have A LOT of experience with powder right ? So if that is a good ski for you, I wonder if for someone like me(that have never skied powder ever) would really be a suitable ski?

I got a pair of first generation 112s and they are super easy to ski. I recently lent them to a friend who was just getting into off piste so he could use them on an off piste instruction week. He also loved them

Neither me nor my mate are as strong skiers as bobinch
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
I find them fine, a very versatile ski but I live out in the Austrian Alps so have a choice of skis. If I only had one pair I'd go for the Enforcers. But one winter I clocked up about 40 days on the Bents.

Amazing!
Where are your favorite spots in Austria for powder?
ski holidays
Should add that the 112 was a fairly unique shape when it first came out. There are others with similar shape now
ski holidays
Contrarian wrote:
@BobinCH, I'm just about to buy some powder skis, and have been considering the DPS Wailer 112.

Do you know how these would fare in non-optimal off piste conditions? At the moment, I ski a Volkl mantra, which is excellent for cutting through crud. I just wondered whether the DPS Wailers would be able to do this too.

I’ve not skied the Mantra but it has a rep as a crud buster. IME the Wailer is more of a pow ski. If you like the stiffness of the Mantra go for the Alchemist/Pagoda version of the wailer which is stiff
ski holidays
AndreSilva wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

The Foundation model of the Wailer is just a great easy ski. I sold mine to this 80yr old Snowheads punter called @rungsp and even he was slashing pow turns and launching off kickers so I do t think you need worry wink

The Alchemist/Pagoda models are stiffer but still IME easy skis to ski versus some very stiff Dynastar / Scott big mountain skis I’ve demoed. If you can I would try both models.
latest report
AndreSilva wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Do you think the Bent Chetler is good enough for European style powder? Isn't it too wide? Sounds like a ski for Japan-like powder, when you have that very soft snow many meters deep.
I guess how much technique you have also counts a lot in this case Very Happy

It’s a very light, nimble, centre mounted ski. Great for pow and trees. Not as stable hooning it and in chop. Perhaps a bit light for a big guy like you
snow conditions
"I’ve not skied the Mantra but it has a rep as a crud buster. IME the Wailer is more of a pow ski. If you like the stiffness of the Mantra go for the Alchemist/Pagoda version of the wailer which is stiff"

Cheers Bob.

I'm going to buy the Alchemist Wailer.
snow report
@Contrarian, I think stiffness is one thing but the whole shape of the 112 is very different. The sidecut of the 112 is much smaller than more traditionally shaped skis like the Mantra. I have some Blizzard Cochises which I much prefer to the 112s in mixed/hard snow but the 112s are way better in soft snow or if I want to make list of tight turns in trees etc
ski holidays
Thanks for that Arno.

I think I will still go for the DPS Alchemist Wailers, which I will use for softer conditions. I'll use my Mantras for the mixed and harder stuff.
ski holidays
@AndreSilva, if in Verbier you could try demoing some Faction skis to see the difference between the metal Dictator and wood/carbon Agent. Faction HQ is in Verbier. They come in 84, 94, 104 and 114mm width. My weight yo-yos quite a bit and usually between 85 and 92kgs. I ski on the Dictator 2.0 (94mm) in all conditions and never really felt the need for anything wider. I use the 1.0 (84mm) when it’s icey day with no prospect of going off-piste. The Agents may serve you well as they are a little easier to finish the turn and are lighter if you want to tour in the future.
snow conditions
Quote:

I guess how much technique you have also counts a lot in this case

Well, as one learned powder on 207 GS race skis with 66mm waists (203 slaloms were too short and stiff for decent "float" Shocked ) yes, it really is all down to technique ...

I'm still thinking rent before you buy, if you need to buy at all ...
latest report
Some food for thought on a new video the guys from Ski Essentials posted yesterday:

http://youtube.com/v/cshacHaWjpQ
ski holidays
+ Whitedot ASBOs/Delinquents (OK Altum 114/104)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy