Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Titan or rally

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
I am looking for some advise on "Head supershape Titan" or "Head supershape rally" I have had 6 weeks skiing over 4 years and have hooked thing up pretty well. Fully comfortable on reds and most blacks are fine. The odd black challenging but manageable. I like to ski fast ish. ( recorded 87.6kph recently in skiwelt) not that I ski that fast always of course, lol. But I do like to motor on. Need the skis to be something I can grow with but not hinder my progress.

Looking for any advise on ski size from the above 2 and which would suit best? ( other recommendations welcome)

I am a athletic 42 year old, 5 ft 9.5 and 74kg/163 lbs.

Take care all, a huge thank you in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richie1973 wrote:
...74kg

I h8 u!
Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

{Edit} Titans

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 28-03-16 17:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Titans, probably in a 170cm.

Welcome to snowHeads Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never tried the Rally but I love my Titans. I think their extra width under foot will make them a bit more stable than the Rally's and better able to cope with crud. The Rally's will turn quicker, but for relaxed "motoring on" I'd definitely go with the Titans. I ski the 177 size but I'm nearly 20kg heavier than you so I think 170 would suit you better.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies guys, and the welcomes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought some i-rallys this year after finding a problem with the bindings on my old skis that allowed the boot to flex sideways without the ski moving, I had to think about getting my old skis (Head XRC1100) to carve and get an edge but with the Rallys I almost have to think about releasing the edge to slow down.
I was advised that the Rallys would be better in the bumps and chopped up snow than the Titans which suits my style of skiing, being about 10mm wider than my old skis, they are a little better offpiste without seeming to lose any piste performance, not sure whether they are quite as quick to turn in the moguls as the 1100s or whether I am getting older.
I came closer to fulfilling my ambition to get so far over carving, that my elbow touches the snow with these skis than with any other, I did actually get there one day, unfortunately my arts was also in the snow and the skis were in the air!

I think they are marginally more stable at speed (110kmh+) I'm 51, 95kg skiing on 170cm
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@richie1973, the two skis are nigh on identical in terms of performance. 6 weeks isn't much experience so I'd base your decision on where you think your skiing development will go in the next few years.

If you want to develop variable terrain and off piste more, go with the Titans. If you want to develop bumps and carving skills, go with the Rallys. Both in 170cm for your weight.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I didn't like the Rally (gave them back to the hire shop after only a couple of hours). It may be that they weren't tuned so well but I didn't like them on firm hardback at all, and they felt a bit 'dead' to me.

I've just ordered a pair of Titans in 163 (I'm smaller than you). So I agree that 170 is probably right for you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The rally is significantly softer than the Titan and the softest of all the i Series...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a follow up, until last Thursday I had a pair of 177 Rally's which I really liked until they got stolen. Am now weighing up 170 Titan v replacement 177 Rally in the sales. Looking for an all conditions piste ski, I don't really do any off piste but would like a ski which can handle bumps/soft spring snow (when we usually go skiing) but also hard snow in the mornings. The Titan seems to fit the bill a bit better but might it be a bit short for me?? I am 6 foot, just under 85 kg and ski pretty aggressively on reds with the odd black thrown in. Technically OK but not a proper expert...
Cheers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
how about the magnum. imo much better than the rally and if you are not keen on off-piste why go fat with the titans
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the thought-how would the Magnums manage the mixed up/soft bumps/fresh unpisted snow? I thought they were more of a corduroy piste ski rather than all conditions (not looking for all mountain I hasten to add!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find 72mm underfoot just fine for variable snow and had two pairs of Magnums, great skis... 170 may be a touch too short if you are 85kg and 6 foot..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 6'4" / 93kg and just spent 6 weeks on 177cm titans. Thought they were brilliant in just about all conditions, although maybe could have been a little bit softer in big slushy bumps, and a little bit wider when we had 30cm of fresh stuff on an empty black piste. The last scenario is definitely an edge case though!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok, so this is a nearly 6 year thread bump...
I just googled Titan Vs Rally and here I'm back in Snowheads again Smile

The reason I ask is ... I just love Magnums, they are my #1 goto ski that I can rely on when I rent.
But when you want go a bit wider ..
I've tried to undertand the guff on the retail sites .. but I dont really get it.

And I dont believe a word of this techno wibble about pizzo electric circuits that manage to dampen the wobbly bits or whatever on orbit re entry, or does the king really have new clothes?

But I do love the Magnums and "Do you feel lucky today Punk?"

http://youtube.com/v/38mE6ba3qj8
latest report
@Maireadoconnor, I should have had a swop with you that day down La Daille bus stop.
Then I would know which was better .. Your Titans or my rented Magnums
latest report
@DrLawn, "And I dont believe a word of this techno wibble about pizzo electric circuits that manage to dampen the wobbly bits or whatever on orbit re entry, or does the king really have new clothes?"

I had some Head Monster 88 a while back, piezoelectric "chips" stuck on top sheet and all that claim about micro electric response to tune the ski. They were sublime skis in performance terms, quite wide at the time and with big soft shovels at the front, you could plough at anything in the way of snow conditions with absolutely no fear of going over the handlebars Very Happy just great to ride in any conditions.

Then one of the chips went missing (fell off) and nothing happened at all. Thought I'd be going round in ever decreasing circles Very Happy because of the imbalance, but no difference whatsoever, nada, zilch.

They were just good skis ( couldn't bring myself to believe it in the first place about the piezo stuff as seems so far fetched) just great layup, combination of fibres, resins, core material, bonding integrity, torsional qualities, how they built and dissipated forces, latent damping ability under oscillation, etc etc.

They were NOS in the great rack of unsold items in the back of Bartlett ski that I liked the size and colour of, and sometimes you can just luck into something you find absolutely fabulous.

All the marketing guff means nothing if you try and don't like them.

I find those similar qualities in Kastlè skis now, some sublime qualities built in without fanfare and they just work. To compliment these I've also bought some whitedot from the piste office, but yet to try them with restrictions so far.
snow conditions
Quote:

I've also bought some whitedot from the piste office, but yet to try them with restrictions so far

Torture!
latest report
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

I've also bought some whitedot from the piste office, but yet to try them with restrictions so far

Torture!

I know, Ragnorak Asym, propped in the corner of my lounge with a layup and colour finish of a nice yacht Very Happy beautiful ski collected from John as first lockdown dissipated. Can't wait to get on them and booked powder Toofy Grin first first week in Feb unless I get earlier chance to get them out in the fresh winter air, get the chokes off and see how they go.
ski holidays
@ski3, I think those piezoelectric chips are just to dampen the wallet.

I normally rent skis and I find the magnums just great.
I've been caught out by a pair of World Cup Rebels though .. I could not turn them, really nasty.
Probably they had a software fault Puzzled
ski holidays
Year’s ago when Head first added those piezoelectric things to their skis they were being demoed at the Ski Show. They had one ski where the wires coming from the chip were exposed, and you could put your fingers on them while the Head rep banged the ski on a bench to bend it. Momentarily you got quite a shock from those wires. I have no idea whether the claimed technology worked, but I sure did get quite a kick from that chip on that occasion.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
@ski3, I think those piezoelectric chips are just to dampen the wallet.

I normally rent skis and I find the magnums just great.
I've been caught out by a pair of World Cup Rebels though .. I could not turn them, really nasty.
Probably they had a software fault Puzzled

Serious pop and a bit of a push out of the turn. Totally stable at medium-high speeds.
Don’t know if it’s the chip tech or my impeccable technique.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Very Happy Shocking!

@AL9000, Perhaps that electric shock spike is transmitted through the boots somehow and then produces a muscle spasm to make you pop the turn?
That will be the next thing, Head Piezoelectric Socks. Idea
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/wxOCcCsH0e0
Its obvious now, I totally understand it and wonder why other ski manufacturers have not used this idea.
ski holidays
Quote:

Head Piezoelectric Socks.

You know where some immature males will place that rolling eyes

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I'm having to think about that. Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

You know where some immature males will place that

Tyres?
snow report
K2 were the first to offer this ‘technology' with the Merlin IV. I remember renting a pair and taking them up the hill, and skiing faster and faster to see whether the piezo stuff actually did anything. I eventually ran out of talent, and ended up having an enormous crash. No matter how fast I went, I never did see the red light on the ski flash.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy