Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Doofer' Tag (Liber-t / Emovis ) - Advice

Poster: A snowHead
@johnnyboy, Yes. The first €1 is to verify your account - all good after that. Use the non-high speed barrier first time as there might be a fractional delay while your tag registers.

BTW, if the first €1 on your Mango account doesn't go through, they offer for you to pay with a credit card on your online account, oddly. Don't ask how I know.... Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnnyboy,
You could always approach the barrier slowly whilst watching experienced users swerve to other lanes so that they don't get caught behind you when the barrier doesn't open - which of course it does! I use an Italian tag and the subscription is worth the entertainment/satisfaction level!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Nemisis, That's really not helping Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnnyboy wrote:
I'm going to approach that first barrier with huge trepidation as it is, but is there anything else I need to do?
remember 30 kph is a lot slower than 30 mph
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnnyboy, For the first one simply avoid the orange V striped lanes (usually on the far left) and instead pick a lane which has an orange coloured T sign above it (it will also have a card machine) - these are slower lanes which you can also use without a doofer if required, thus removing initial barrier anxiety.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd just started having confidence in those 30kph limit barriers opening when, on the return journey from Tignes the first one didn't. Battery in le toll doofer had obviously not enjoyed a week in the cold and given up. Full emergency stop and raised heart rate.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oui4ski, Ah great, that's a great help, many thanks. I might need to queue a bit, but it will go a lot easier on the heart I'm sure.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And don't forget the mandatory UK Bentley or Overfinch Range Rover that tailgates you on the approach to the left-hand (30) lane and then swerves violently at the last minute when they realise they need a tag to get through. Who forks out £100K+ for a car, but won't spend €10 on a tag?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are the doofers just attached to the windscreen behind the rearview mirror?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnnyboy, the tag must be place in the shaded/mottled area behind the rear view mirror
See https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/faq/#tag-use-faq-section
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim, I can't stick anything there as the space is filled by the eyesight cameras. Doofer works fine stuck to the ordinary bit of windscreen on the passenger side.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, Yoda, but then you probably have Doofer from Krypton that necessarily will have X-ray Vision and therefore can see through ordinary glass Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Generally, I've found that the tags are fairly tolerant of where they're placed. You do seem to get a few very specific car models where the tag is sensitive - from forum postings, it seems to be the models with the wires embedded in the screen (for heating), and others that use signal-blocking transfers as sun strip, rather than tinted glass. A friend who lives in France just leaves his on the front dashboard tray and it seems to work. I've been in a hire car as the passenger, and just held it up in the air near to the windscreen and it's worked.

I do think it's sensible to keep take it with you into the warm if you're parking the car out at night for the week in sub-zero temperatures, but I can't point to any specific retailer advise to this effect, just a few comments from Snowheads.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Useful app for Mango by APRR - better than the website IMV. Especially easy to change registration number if hiring a car.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/mango-mobilit%C3%A9s-by-aprr/id1524426323
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pleased to report the doofer worked well all the way down, definitely an easy way to deal with tolls, and even moreso if you're driving down alone in the RHD car.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
Generally, I've found that the tags are fairly tolerant of where they're placed. You do seem to get a few very specific car models where the tag is sensitive - from forum postings, it seems to be the models with the wires embedded in the screen (for heating), and others that use signal-blocking transfers as sun strip, rather than tinted glass.
My previous car, a Hyundai Tucson, was very fussy. I placed the tag in the recommended place by the rear view mirror, but could stick it to the section which was clear glass as this was covered by a plastic housing over the GPS antenna and other sensors. Often the tag would fail to be read at the e-gates, it was a complete PITA especially when I didn’t have the confidence to drive through the 30kmh lanes. If it failed I would have to wave the tag out of the window, and once scan a little barcode on the back of the tag.

Hoping new car, a Kia Sportage, doesn’t have the same issues when I travel down later this week.
snow report
Snowheads advice wins again. Very Happy
Frist was reminded to check doofer battery. Nearly dud, so replaced Doofer.
Then would new one work? Followed advice of not using 30kph lane for first use. It worked! .
Happy days. snowHead
snow conditions
@rob@rar, best of luck with your Kia . .
ski holidays
Afaik Hyundai and Kia are under the same umbrella - so likely that they use the same "Korean glass" Toofy Grin

No problems with the Japanese glass on my Scooby...
snow report
Yoda wrote:
Afaik Hyundai and Kia are under the same umbrella - so likely that they use the same "Korean glass" Toofy Grin

No problems with the Japanese glass on my Scooby...
Happily, no problems at all with my doofer today. Always registered very promptly, including in the 30kph lanes. Despite very heavy snowfall earlier today, my drive down was the best I’ve had for a few years. Early Eurotunnel departure, not much traffic for all of the journey except for a few KM approaching Moutiers, and no issues with the snow on the final approach. All very relaxing.
snow conditions
Seems to be a sale on the Mango Mobilities doofer, just ordered one there. The setup and shipping fees are free at the moment plus 8 months free of the French monthly fees.
snow report
ptex wrote:
@johnnyboy, Yes. The first €1 is to verify your account - all good after that. Use the non-high speed barrier first time as there might be a fractional delay while your tag registers.

BTW, if the first €1 on your Mango account doesn't go through, they offer for you to pay with a credit card on your online account, oddly. Don't ask how I know.... Embarassed

I also had to pay the euro on credit card after the direct debit failed. Updated the direct debit detail when I paid it about 4 weeks ago. Now we have had another email saying we now owe them 30 euros and they have disabled our tag and will cancel the account if we don't pay for that on the credit card too. We haven't used it (due out in Jan and that is now not looking hopeful!), I don't really know why we owe 30 euros on it or why they are saying they have repeatedly tried to use our direct debit to claim it (which they say has been failing each time). Anyone shed any light why they are trying to debit us more before we have used it? I'm starting to think I will let them cancel it and try again with one of the other (more expensive) companies as it is becoming more hassle than it is worth.
ski holidays
Diet Fish wrote:
Seems to be a sale on the Mango Mobilities doofer, just ordered one there. The setup and shipping fees are free at the moment plus 8 months free of the French monthly fees.

Thanks.

Ordered one. My old one's battery ran out a while ago and taking out a new one with this offer is cheaper than getting a replacement.
snow conditions
@mah, Have you tried logging into the customer area on the mango site. You can then look at your invoices and see what the your charges are.
ski holidays
Great thread, thanks for all the tips! I’ve just registered with Mango ready for our Feb half term trip.
Current offer on Mango website is Free setup, Free delivery and no management fees for 12 mths Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
Is there a specific link for the Mango free setup/delivery/12 fee free offer, as I only seem to be getting the standard €11 setup/€10 deliver/€1,70 fee one?
latest report
No link, just looked on the “offers” tab on their website. Although looking now it appears to be back to the prices you state. I guess the offer must have expired yesterday.
ski holidays
Guess I'm just lucky like that Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from my first trip with the e-movis tag. It worked brilliantly all the way through. It’s an absolute game changer, especially when driving at night and beating the traffic. No more panicking about where the ticket went, where the credit card is, waking up the passenger, sitting behind a queue of people doing the same thing.

Also, the unbridled joy I felt when I pulled up to the “t” gate with my UK badge on the car to see a Frenchman gesticulating wildly at me to say I’d gone wrong (“stupid Englishman!”) only for us to cruise through the barrier at 30kph… you can’t put a price on that.
snow report
Thanks for this useful thread, have ordered one for our next trip snowHead
snow report
@PrinceJohn, glad it went well

With so many UK cars having tags now, you’d have thought the locals would have got used to it.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:

With so many UK cars having tags now, you’d have thought the locals would have got used to it.

Yip, I was thinking this, but then so many locals insist on exercising their right to sit in massive traffic jams so they don't get one.

My AREA doofer is still happily beeping away after 10 years use, I did approach the first barrier quite slowly though!
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

..but then so many locals insist on exercising their right to sit in massive traffic jams so they don't get one.

According to the transfer taxi driver we had at half-term, it's apparently a protest at the sell-off by the French state of the autoroute network to private companies a few years ago. Rearrange as appropriate: face, spite, nose, off, your, cutting, to, your.

As we flew at half-term, we lent our tag to the parents of one of my son's rugby team-mates. Needless to say they loved it and are buying their own, especially as the dad drives to Italy on his own and had never heard of the tag!
snow report
Boris wrote:

One would have thought. The Belgians, which (and this came as a surprise) outnumbered the French cars on my trip, certainly seem to have cottoned on to the tag. Perhaps I was inadvertently driving like a four-letter-man and driving into the “wrong” gate was neither here nor there. I didn’t stop to ask!
snow report
@jd_evans,
Italian tags ("Telepass") can be switched on in France so I guess that a French tag can be switched on in Italy.
ski holidays
ok, thanks @Nemisis, I'll pass the message on.
latest report
Has anyone else received an incorrect invoice this month?

Looks like they've used the GBP -> EUR rate instead of the EUR -> GBP.

My 70 euros charge is being converted to £83 Shocked
snow report
matteevan90 wrote:
Has anyone else received an incorrect invoice this month?

Looks like they've used the GBP -> EUR rate instead of the EUR -> GBP.

My 70 euros charge is being converted to £83 Shocked

I’ve just checked and yep me too Sad

€96 is being charged at £114
snow report
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=159501#4946730&sid=6a47d9c8485863f997bfdf2569e25bb3
ski holidays
if you want to use APPR tag in Italy you have to specify it when you order they would not upgrade the French only version. You can however order a new one quite easily linked to your existing account.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy