Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee - any info welcome

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
2020 was the first year in 30 that we were not skiing over Christmas, this year was shaping up to be a second until everyone said "we CAN'T stay home another year". However, this meant we are late to the party. Daughter and husband have just moved house and have a 6 month old baby (hence the delay) + a 3 year old which impacts cost flexibility. Looking right now for a 3 bedroom apartment in any French resort at a reasonable cost is more challenging than finding a gallon of fuel so, in a moment of brilliance (or it might just have been hallucination), I thought to myself, "Saas Fee!" and with alacrity and a measure of a-luckraty have found an astonishing value apartment that pretty much seals the deal, from the cost I expect it to be a bit more of a trudge/bus ride to the slopes (although apparently, ski in is possible).

I have been to Saas Fee once before <mumble> years ago, with an early trial version of the current Mrs Ham, who was Swiss. That time, we were in a privately owned chalet right on the slopes which we had to ourselves, and as I recall, substantially over-much snow meaning indoor sports were the feature of the holiday (we had to dig out when the storm abated). I therefore have a fond, if inexact, memory of the place, and could do with some info, I'd appreciate any tips.

As I recall, there was the facility to leave skis at the bottom of a lift - is that so? All the major lifts? That would help avoid carting stuff around. Any suggestions for ski school for the little'un ? (3) Maybe a session or two with a private tutor would be better? What are the shuttle buses like, do they get as crowded as French resorts? I don't suppose prices are going to be friendly - can I just think "Val d'Isere" or is it worse? Considering daughter & family traveling by plane/train etc and I will drive. Any experience of the best route London to Saas Fee - with the two kids? How challenging is it going to be shifting a car load of gear from the park to the apartment, I assume I can't drive to unload as per VT? That load will likely include all skis and boots, prams etc so a bit of a challenge.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a road train that runs along the high street and virtually every hotel seemed to have its own electric "milk float". From the multi storey carpark a ski bus runs to the main gondola every 10 mi utes or so.

I don't know about lockers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lockers: https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/winter/ski-lockers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a week in Saas Fee in early 2020, although I'm not sure I can answer too many of your questions I'm afraid. I've not been to Val d'Isere, but I don't remember it as being especially expensive for a Swiss or a big French resort (probably cheaper than Courcheval 1850). You're correct in that you can't drive to unload, but the resort isn't huge (although it is kinda long and thin) so a few trips between car park and apartment should be managable (especially if everything is wheeled or you include a trolley of some sort) and there are taxis in resort if it comes to it.

Transport-wise, we flew to into Geneva, down an escalator to the station under the airport, and one train to the bottom of the hill (Visp I think it is, a bit under 2 and a half hours) and a bus up the hill (about 50 mins). Very straightforward imo, especially if they're travelling light.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
Lockers: https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/winter/skixpress only, mind you that -lockers

Ah, thanks, so Alpin Express only - mind you, that's probably what you need to use anyhow, unless you're on the nursery slopes.

johnnyboy wrote:
Very straightforward imo, especially if they're travelling light.

With (what will then be) a 9 month old and a 3 year old, you NEVER travel light. (although we can bring the bags etc in the car, see q.1 - that taxi will be needed Wink )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes we stayed in the Allalin, which is a great hotel, but a long way from the lift. Ski buses too infrequent and small. No taxis to speak of unlike Zermatt, so stay nearer the gorge and the main lift is my recommendation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are taxis but as said previously, all of the hotels have their own electric carts which run to and from lifts/bus station/car park all day. Most of the hotels also have their own secure boot and ski stores close to the Alpin Express lift. The ones that don't are those directly on the runs home/nursery slopes. There is also a well-developed network of electric cart-ski bus routes (green line, red line, yellow line etc) all over the resort. This is absolutely necessary as the resort does cover a large area with some hefty treks to the lifts from the farthest points.

As for costs, it's one of the better value Swiss resorts but that doesn't make it cheap!

https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/services-information/arrival/taxis

https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/winter/local-bus

Last time, we stayed at the excellent Amber ski-in, ski-out hotel - very convenient.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are good ski depots at both main lift bases, a quick google brings up their locations and details. If I were you I would use one of the ones at the main slope interface (Kalbermatten area) as this will give you options on lifts up the mountain (including Platjen) as well as easy access to the nursery slopes. It is a pleasant village to walk through when not in ski boots/lugging skis!

We ski in Sass Fee every spring so if you want any other advice (ski hire, areas suitable for your abilities, restaurants etc.) just let me know.

For your little one the best option is the Snowli program run by the Swiss Ski school. We sent all of our 4 kids then when little, it is 1 1/2 hours which is about all they can manage at that age, in it's own enclosed area near the above mentioned ski depots, and mostly run by kindly middle-aged mummies. You can use this area for further play outside of lesson times. Outside of that you would be looking at a private lesson, and frankly at that age any of the schools will do.

For yourself or others in your party I highly recommend considering Ski Zenit. By far and away the best instructors and guides in Sass Fee. And all with good english.

In terms of cost - the lift pass is expensive but otherwise similar to a high end French resort.

Happy to help with any other advice!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ham, we use swiss trains ALOT and it is very easy.l with young children (mine are under 5s) They even have an indoor playground family carriage if they want to let off steam. Its far less hassle that hiring a car.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee, agreed. Car hire would be madness if flying to Geneva
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@zikomo, thanks for that, very useful! I may well have some questions. I confess I'm a little nervous about the low snow in the resort this Christmas, but we can't do much about that.

@Nadenoodlee, as far as I can see from the timetable the Geneva-Visp train doesn't have a family carriage? As it happens, I don't think it will be an issue, as the three year old is train-mad and will likely enjoy the journey. mind you, that's made me think and check - Zurich-Visp does have a family carriage and is slightly quicker journey, but only one train an hour. Hmmm.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ham, You are right, the train from Geneva uses older stock and does not have a family carriage. It is comfortable though and a very pleasant journey. The bus from Visp is timetabled to complement the train timetable with a comfortable but not too long connection time. The bus station is directly outside the train station. You might also want to cost a private transfer and/or car hire - it will likely be more expensive but good to know the options. We use a private transfer as there are 6 of us and we all have our own skis & boots so a LOT of luggage! We have used https://www.taxizurbriggen.ch/ for years, cannot recommend them highly enough.

You are right that some years will be better than others for snow that early in the winter, but there will be sufficient for your needs even if it is mostly artificial.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well that was ...interesting.

We were booked over the Christmas week, daughter and family flying and we were driving with all paraphernalia. Now, we are all flying. Tomorrow. Get there quick in case anything changes next week is our view, we got a great deal for the extra week on the apartment, negative PCR tests in the bag, we're off!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ham, have you got any update on conditions and how you’re find it with the children? I’m coming out on 27th with kids (a little older) for first Saas-Fee visit.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@headtothehill, sorry I missed your question, back now too late to be any use. However, you will have likely found by now that the resort is in some ways truly excellent, in others a mixed bag. My weather was great, the first week sunny (FSVO "sun"), the second had a few days of snow.

Skiing first, if you are used to the French mega ski areas, you may be disappointed, especially for beginner skiers. Where you can pretty much take slightly competent skiers almost anywhere in a French resort, with (mostly easy except when they need to stretch the truth) blues to take 'em back down, no such here. On the Spielboden side there's a steep but wide red to contend with, Platjen has top that I wouldn't take beginners down, especially once it has been moguled up. In the resort there are some great beginner slopes, that go nowhere, and the Swiss ski school is excellent for kids (3 year old grandson had a whale of a time). The skiing itself is great, but marred again by almost total lack of chair lifts, bubbles and T-bar are the rule of the day. The valley aspect is mostly in shadow, a two edge sword that means that for the snow hold sup much better than the 1800 start would suggest. Personally, gimme sun every time, even if that means I'm on ice in the morning and slush in the afternoon.

The village and the surrounding area are amongst the best I have ever seen or been in, with the caveat that you need to organise getting to the slopes. Not hard, but could be a faff in some parts. Locker rentals at the centre and shuttle busses help, fortunately our apartment (Schraffel) was ski in and climb&walk-a-bit-but-not-that-desperate out. The nature of the village means that some apartments/locations can be a bit of a slog (ours was, but you get used to pushing a double buggy up a 25% incline Wink ) The walking around the Hanig area is brilliant, I would recommend anyone to take a sunny afternoon to walk up to Alpenblick restaurant.

Would I go back? Tough question. Cost wise, our apartment was so cheap (3000CHF for the xmas week, for an apartment that sleeps 4 adults+3 kids, would have been £5000 in ValT or the like) that compensated for the higher food /lift pass. Overall, I think I've been spoiled by 3 Valleys, Paraadski, Portes de Soleil etc and I felt this was inferior ski, but far superior location. we'll see.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy