Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@swoafs, get in touch with snoworks they're running stuff this week in tignes I'd say better than new gen ILG as well
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooh, thanks @Mother hucker, ; I’ll look into that and great to know for future reference too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More blue skies and sunshine, but it was still cold. However, the sun had worked on the snow yesterday, so soft snow was only really available on north facing slopes, for those that had been in the sun yesterday you had to wait for a bit of a thaw to break the thin crust. It was a gantle day around the Solaise today, lots of kids to avoid so we made the most of the lunch lull and skied Arcelle (a bit slick) and coming down Rhone-Alpes we saw no one at 1.30, which was handy as the lower half was still very hard. Sideslip, turn, sideslip turn and repeat. Becase the air was still cold the pistes have not bumped up much, Palafour still looks (relatively) flat! I did see the PGHM helo on Grande Balme this afternoon, hope everyone is OK.

In other news France has now banned outdoor heaters (and aircon) on terraces and patios, so officially no more warming your hands over fires and under patio heaters. The first fine is now €1k, as the flics have little to do with covid now I expect they will be enforcing.

We also have about a thousand students from Newcastle Uni, some of their journeys were very loooooong.

The weather: tomorrow will be sunny all day with light winds, it will be 4 or 5 degs warmer so expect bumpy pistes. Wednesday will start sunny and warm, but there will be a breeze. Clouds will appear late afternoon and there may be light showers in the evening. That jury is still out for Thursday, the models are varying but it will be windy, high lifts shut, keep an eye on the links. Some forecasts have snow/rain below 1800m all day others are showing breaks. Friday will be windy all day and again there may be breaks in the precipitation, but the rain/snow line may well be above the main villages, a day for a game of chess perhaps. Its not absolutely certain this will happen but thats the current best guess. My advice would be enjoy tomorrow and Wed and then think about Plan B.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have they banned outdoor heaters because of global warming or?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@8611, I think its all part of the environmental measures that pop up now and again in France.

The calm before the storm......

Another beautiful day, entirely still and much warmer. I had a few things to do today and am doing dinner for some mates tonight so I just popped out to see if I could track down some spring snow, and yes after a bit of a wait there it was all soft and creamy, mainly off to the left of Grattalu and the Grand Huit pimples. Sadly it will probably not be the case tomorrow because there is likely to be a layer of high level cloud from mid morning.

Right, the early bird gets the worm in the morning as the sun will be out at breakfast time. At some stage in the morning very high cloud will obscure the sun and then the cloud will build, the wind will pick up a bit and some stage between afternoon tea and late happy hour the snow showers will arrive. Even now the differing models are showing different times of arrival. It is likely to be rain in Brev initially, hopefully snow in Tignes, maybe sleet in Val centre. But it will cool down overnight and snow will fall at all levels. Thursday will see snow all day, perhaps sleet or rain in Brev and there will be a strong gusty wind at altitude all day. Expect the higher lifts to be closed and maybe the links also, keep an eye on the Boards around the resorts. Friday will be worse, the wind will be stronger and blow at all levels, again soggy below the Dam, the avalanche risk will be getting ever higher. Saturday is still up for debate, sunshine and showers and high winds are most likely, but a change in the forecast is just as likely. It then improves - but beware the powder fever as there is likely to be 40-80cm over the next 4 days.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Coming Saturday for a week with a buzzing 16 year old

So glad I took a risk 3 weeks ago
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8611 wrote:
Have they banned outdoor heaters because of global warming or?

French Presidential elections coming up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, We were on Arcelle at roughly the same time as you yesterday and thought it was in the best condition all season. Today at the same time was completely different.

Newcastle Uni have 1400 students in Tignes this week and some of them endured a 36hr journey. Our daughter avoided the travel carnage and flew out on Friday to stay with us and is “commuting” to Tignes to join her course mates.

Meanwhile in Val d’Isere we have the Scara over the next few days. Avoiding the Bellevarde area especially the Marmottes lifts in the mornings is advised.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just returned from a week in EK. Had a brilliant time, sooooooooo good to be back snowHead. We found the best snow to be the Val glacier at the beginnng of the week, by the end there was new snow everywhere, if only we could have seen it, but it felt good snowHead . But tell me, have they moved the Tichot chair closer to the bottom of double M? And do they intend to but the chair back up to Aiguille Percee from the Brev side?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NE1, The Tichot Chair has not moved, but it will to replace the Aiguille Rouge chair when they build a Tichot bubble to help service HMS Club Med. Its probably an illusion caused by Carline being remodelled further from Tichot (or too much Genepy wink ) Yes, they are going to replace the Marais, but it ran into a planning inquiry last summer. The conclusions were 36 pages of legal French but basically yes they can with one or two provisos. Trying to find out when. Before you ask, the old one was condemned, so couldn't be used.

Well the day started beautifully, but we could see the cloud encroaching from the south, firstly high stuff and then it soon bubbled up and the breeze started too rise. But it was very warm and the pistes softened quickly. Mont Blanc donned his hat just after 12, a portent of things to come. It is now still 10 degs and overcast. The resorts seemed busy today, but only in certain places it was odd. So we had a Solaise day via Face, looking around the off piste didn't seem that great, there were only a few die hards around. Still lots of teen racers in Val, with little regard for anyone else and lots of kid racers around Lognan in Tignes.

Right, the detail on the weather has changed a bit as the fronts wiggle around. But it will start snowing in acouple of hours and the rain snow line will be about 1600m. The precipitation will continue all day tomorrow, the avalanche forecast expects the rain snow line to be at 1800m in the morning rising to 2200m in the afternoon. If you like skiing in a whiteout then the wind is not going to be as high as expected, so only a stiff breeze at altitude, but you willl porbably need x ray vision. Friday the wind will blow hard and again it will be rainy or snowy, the all important line will fluctuate between Brev and Lac as the day warms up and the night cools down. Saturday will see the snow becoming less intense after dawn, there will still be a strong gusty wind and it will be a bit cooler (theoretically), so the roads will be tricky for a early morning get away. There will still be snow showers through the day, that will peter out slowly. Sunday will be warm with sunny periods and powder fever and a high avalanche risk.

Edit: In other news Compagnie Des Alpes have acquired a majority stake in Evolution2 (which started in Tignes 30 odd years ago). It seems that they are not happy just to run the lifts for the resorts with them buying up Estate Agents, Chartering Trains etc etc. Beginning to look a bit corporate for France.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chocksaway wrote:
In other news Compagnie Des Alpes have acquired a majority stake in Evolution2 (which started in Tignes 30 odd years ago). It seems that they are not happy just to run the lifts for the resorts with them buying up Estate Agents, Chartering Trains etc etc. Beginning to look a bit corporate for France.

Does that make Herve even more of a millionaire than he already is !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
reckon we have had the best of the days this week. Thurs/fri/Sat looking decidedly ropey. Tignes is lovely whenthe sun shines. Kids have loved it and really progressed in the 4 days they have been skiing, all except the middle one who got to ride in the meat wagon to the MediVal centre. Thank god we said yes to Carre Neige!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GreenDay, I'm guessing so! Are you recovering BTW?

@FrediKanoute, Hope the 'middle one' is OK.

And yes its looking ropey. To quote Bluto "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily!"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Middle one is fine, though says she would take the helicopter option next time rather than the meat wagon......Yikes!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, I am still testing positive, the boredom is awful. I am, in effect, isolating in the garden office so as not to impact everyone else.

Theres only so much telly one can watch, or guitar one can (attempt to) play.

Feel fine now tho..........

How is the 'rona in Tignes?
snow report
@GreenDay, It's still around but not in great numbers. But there is a nasty cold going around with very similar symptoms to Ohmacron (sic). I had that after you left, convinced I had rona but continued to test negative, same with many others. Almost like we have our very own mutation non detectable up here!
latest report
@FrediKanoute, I met someone yesterday who was helicoptered off Sache with, as it turns out, not too serious a knee injury. The helo trip was a real highlight!
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, It's still around but not in great numbers. But there is a nasty cold going around with very similar symptoms to Ohmacron (sic). I had that after you left, convinced I had rona but continued to test negative, same with many others. Almost like we have our very own mutation non detectable up here!

Yep, I got that!! Absolutely horrible, it's been two weeks since it started and I've still got blocked ears. Nasty bug. Was convinced it was Omicron but tested negative repeatedly.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

I was in bed the previous 3 days badly with something. the weather was stunning out the window. I did ski yesterday and the pistes were in lovely condition higher up in the morning. off piste I'm waiting for the new snow
ski holidays
We were out for a whole month (just got back), I caught something almost straight away and gave it the OH, we were both out of action for about a week - but then we had lost all our fitness so when we did get out we were exhausted almost all the time, just as we started to get fit we both caught something else and were out of action for another week - I was so ill even my teeth hurt when I breathed... So all in all, while we had a great time when we did get skiing we didn't get to do anywhere near enough skiing for the whole month we were there. hey ho...
latest report
It did look quite bright half an hour ago, but the weather has closed in. Snow in Lac but the roads are wet, snow on the roofs in 1800 and looks like rain in Brev (no snow settled on roofs). So its time to clean the fridge and freezer.

Other then the Funi in Tignes, both glaciers are shut and a variety of other vulnerable lifts too.
snow report
@chocksaway, following your posts as daughter and family in Tignes till Saturday. They have had four brilliant days though and have been expecting this weather to arrive. Very pleased with SnoCool ski school - just four in each of the girls classes.
latest report
Interesting posts above. Covid seems to be rife in Tignes.

Nature watch... marmots out under the Palafour chairlift. Spotted a pair of Vultures (Lammergeier) circling over the Palafour area on Monday lunchtime. Followed on Tuesday by a single Vulture that flew over us on the chairlift and settled on a rocky outcrop near the Palafour couloir.

Yesterday we helped a young guy who had wiped out big time on OK Orange under the Marmottes lift. He had crocked his back and his arm, and "rung his bell".

He proudly announced that he had broken his speed record though. Darwin anyone?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 7-04-22 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@GeorgeVII, or even Darwin? But I know why your spel chucker threw up Darwen!!
ski holidays
Other viruses are available! There’s a fair bit of flu now circulating in the UK - so if you have symptoms but regularly test negative that’s a possibility
latest report
@chocksaway, You can take the lad out of the North (West), but you can't take the North out of the lad. Well spotted, edited now.

Dumping with snow at the moment in Lavachet.
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
Spotted a pair of Vultures (Lammergeier) circling over the Palafour area on Monday lunchtime. Followed on Tuesday by a single Vulture that flew over us on the chairlift and settled on a rocky outcrop near the Palafour couloir.

Wow that is a spot, I'm kind of fascinated by them since my father mentioned them years ago on a trip to Greece, just the name is so exotic and mythical. Have seen Griffins in France in the Summer but would love to see that.

A bear and wolf now would complete me in skiing terms. Maybe a lynx?
snow report
Combat skiing today. Plenty of snow but it's heavy, wet and being delivered sideways at altitude.

A quick shout out to Ultimate SnowSports (Ski School). Their instructor managed to deliver a 2 hr lesson today for our granddaughter in miserable conditions. She remained happy and upbeat throughout, finishing off the lesson with a big grin on her face.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge 1 and Freezer cleaned. Coffee with Mr and Mrs Tigski. Bumped into @GeorgeVII, on the snowfront. Came back and read a book.

So, as you will have gathered, today was for the hardy. It has been a bit soggy up here and despite snowing moderately since breakfast time it is only just starting to settle on the roofs up here in Lac. Of course, it will have settled on the snow and up high, well who knows.

AVALANCHE RISK 4 TOMORROW

Right , that's covered that. Its now snowing heavily and will continue to do so all night, by the time I come back from the Couloir I'm expecting it to be settling on the roads, probably down to the Dam. It will snow moderately to heavily all tomorrow and there will be a screaming gale at height from mid morning. I suspect the links will be closed unless the isobars move apart, most of the top lifts will be shut and it will be a progressive start as the pisteurs battle to keep us safe. The rain snow line will rise as it warms tomorrow, I think it will be a bit warmer than today so sleety in the main villages. There may be a sweet spot between 2400m and 2500m, I exaggerate but you get the idea. But tomorrow night will be colder with the freezing level down to Brev, so for a Saturday departure snow tyres or chains will be essential I think. I suspect the Police will be manning the exits to the village. We are looking at 30cm or so over the next 24 hours and then another 20cm at least between 1800 Friday and 0600 Sat, so, yeah its going to be a trick one. Saturday will be snowy all morning and the wind at height will be wailing like a banshee. Snow showers with perhaps a sunny spell or two in the afternoon. The high lifts will be shut. Sunday looks glorious but dangerous. Blue skies and sunshine together with powder fever and a complex snow pack. Monday looks like being back to spring, sunny with fluffy clouds.
snow report
@chocksaway, has the Tichot not been moved…..it certainly seemed like the slog to it wasn’t as long wink . Is that whole building going to be Club Med, it’s mahoosive! So they are putting in a gondola for the club med luvvies, eh? Seems about right
snow conditions
@NE1, Yip, the whole thing is Club Med, and the amount or car parking in the project has been reduced. The Mairie are now looking at discouraging car ownership up here because of the lack of parking. To which my reply was build a Lidl up here then rather than me having to use the various rip off supermarkets.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@NE1, Yip, the whole thing is Club Med, and the amount or car parking in the project has been reduced. The Mairie are now looking at discouraging car ownership up here because of the lack of parking. To which my reply was build a Lidl up here then rather than me having to use the various rip off supermarkets.

No underground parking for Club Med?
snow report
Never been to this resort before first time this week.
Finding the pistes more busy than if expected. No queues on the lifts of course but so many people to avoid on the runs.
Is it busier than normal for this time of year? And how much busier does it get in peak of peak season (mid February?)
latest report
NE1 wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

No underground parking for Club Med?

Can / worms / sore talking point - in which order do they go.... bit of a local talking point what went on with the parking and the building of that 'palace!'
snow report
fmd999 wrote:
Never been to this resort before first time this week.
Finding the pistes more busy than if expected. No queues on the lifts of course but so many people to avoid on the runs.
Is it busier than normal for this time of year? And how much busier does it get in peak of peak season (mid February?)

Is it busier than normal for this time of the year - because the British champs AND UK easter hols AND SCARA race in Val all happening at same time then id say it is circa = normally busy for this week of the season but perhaps a little busier as everyone still 'catching up' on their fixes overall id say! But generally this is about normal for now yes.

How much busier peak season - about 40% busier in terms of people on the slopes / accommodation etc
snow report
In the deep mid winter......

Just back from the Coulour, about 6 inches on the pavements that were wet at 6pm. It's still only 0 degs though.
snow conditions
Probably accumulated about 25 cms of snow on the balcony in Lavachet last night. But it isn't powder. It's wet and heavy.
ski holidays
I haven't been to Tignes for a while and have just got back. Was quite horrified about the Club Med monstrosity, but also saw one or two others being built in VC, and has there been another couple of blocks been built also at the Fresse/Bolin end? I thought the Mayor was against new builds up on the mountain which was why all the development went on at 1500/1800 a few years ago. Whatever, it's going to be really busy in February that's for sure, and don't Club Med use ESF for the over-long ski schools that we have to somehow avoid!

Tichot isn't a bad lift as is but it does get long queues at times so an upgrade must surely be part of the Club Med deal? But are they going to upgrade Grattalu too to cope with the extra demand? Have they halved the width of the run under Grattalu?

What's happened to Fresse/Bolin lift? Compulsory disemabarcation at the top of Bolin, what's that about?

Wasn't Almes a drag lift not long ago?

It's still an amazing place to slide though, wish I'd bought an apartment there 10 years ago when I first thought of it, prices now are silly!
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:
I haven't been to Tignes for a while and have just got back. Was quite horrified about the Club Med monstrosity, but also saw one or two others being built in VC, and has there been another couple of blocks been built also at the Fresse/Bolin end? I thought the Mayor was against new builds up on the mountain which was why all the development went on at 1500/1800 a few years ago. Whatever, it's going to be really busy in February that's for sure, and don't Club Med use ESF for the over-long ski schools that we have to somehow avoid!

Yes, brown envelopes!

Tichot isn't a bad lift as is but it does get long queues at times so an upgrade must surely be part of the Club Med deal? But are they going to upgrade Grattalu too to cope with the extra demand? Have they halved the width of the run under Grattalu?

Yes. It may go higher to supply Merles as well. Yes, some days for racers.

What's happened to Fresse/Bolin lift? Compulsory disemabarcation at the top of Bolin, what's that about?

The synchronisation kept failing. Its more reliable now.

Wasn't Almes a drag lift not long ago?

Up to 5 years ago or so.

It's still an amazing place to slide though, wish I'd bought an apartment there 10 years ago when I first thought of it, prices now are silly!

Yes!
snow conditions
40 cm en haut!

But the roads were carnage last night. 3 accidents below the Brev Tunnel. Suspect carnage later as it cools down.

DIY done, off for coffee.

Oh, and in breaking news the Caviar Bar on the Palafour Gallery has shut up shop and all the fittings have gone. It lasted 3.5 months.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy