Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Any insights from locals as to whether the Tignes / Val d'Isere link will open over the weekend in time for the PSB?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevew wrote:
Any insights from locals as to whether the Tignes / Val d'Isere link will open over the weekend in time for the PSB?

I have seen this Thursday mentioned for the link opening in a few places now, so fingers crossed!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking at website now looks like link is supposed to open tomorrow! Doesn't say anything about Palafour or Tichot.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://bulletin.lumiplan.pro/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

Shows Tommeuses opens tomorrow, which is the link!

Don't think there has been enough snow yet to open the sunny side of the Palafour and Palet sectors.

I expect a flurry of progressive openings in the next few days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TOOTIE wrote:
Hi coming out to Tignes for Christmas.
Slightly confused about masks for skiing. Do we have to buy a specific face mask with a filter or will a normal snood be OK.
Just wondering what was happening on the ground out there?
Many thanks

I'd recommend asking Steve here:-
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=7480
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Smile
Kenzie wrote:
Little Angel
Tigski wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
SnowDrone Towers have been in touch with a discount code:

Here is a promo code you guys can use for a discount:

snowheads05

That is 5€ off a shared transfer per person 18th December until 17th April.

For private transfers, it is about 5% off for weekend transfers between the same dates, 18th December until 17th April.

I've just tried the promo code for transfers this coming weekend and it doesn't work. Am I right to assume that it's isn't valid outside the dates above? Cheers.

That is correct. I had an extremely comfortable ride upto Tignes last Friday in one of their electric Mercedes vehicles. For my return trip on the 19th Dec, the discount code was accepted.

Did you get the red carpet as well? snowHead

Thankfully a white carpet on arrival Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevew wrote:
Looking at website now looks like link is supposed to open tomorrow! Doesn't say anything about Palafour or Tichot.

I went partly up Palafour this afternoon on my skins. The snow cover is extremely thin upto the Savouna restaurant. Just beyond that, the stream bed which crosses the piste is around three foot deep and quite wide, so a good bit more snow needed yet. The cover did look better higher up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tigski wrote:
stevew wrote:

I went partly up Palafour this afternoon on my skins. The snow cover is extremely thin upto the Savouna restaurant. Just beyond that, the stream bed which crosses the piste is around three foot deep and quite wide, so a good bit more snow needed yet. The cover did look better higher up.

Thanks for the update. Chocksaway, yes that's what I saw.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And for the week ahead, there will be mass confusion and that's just the arrival shenanigans of the PSBers Very Happy

But seriously, the weather is going to be tricky to nail down. For sure, its going to be snowy, very snowy, its going to be windy at altitude, the freezing level will be down with @timlongs and his brewery in the Valley. There will be a series of fronts over the next few days, but inbetween a slack ridge of high pressure is going to wax and wane, but luckily its not going to get established. All this will achieve is a variation in timings of the snow and potentially the intensity so the amounts of snow on yer apps are going to vary wildly, a little like Swiss Covid policy.

In more detail, tomorrow is going to be very snowy and windy, expect very little to be open at altitude, so probably just the Bellvarde and Toviere sectors, maybe Double M for the brave. A full on winter set up will be needed for vehicles so expect buffoonery from somewhere between Ste Foy and the Dam. The snow will be intense at times so, in old money between a foot and two foot. I wouldnt expect anything extra to be open Sunday as working conditions tomorrow will be vile and all the snow arriving at speed will need to be rearranged into an eye pleasing fashion. On a more serious note, teh avalanche risk rises from 3 to 4 overlunchtime tomorrow, so beware.

On Sunday there will be powder fever, but it will be light snow all day, the winds will be lighter. Just beware off piste - it wont be deep enough unless you know you are on grass you may ruin your skis or yourself or project yourself into orbit courtesy of a tree root.

Monday may well see sunny periods and lighter winds, then again there may be light snow. Look out of the window. Tuesday will probably see light snow and wind at altitude. This will be followed by heavy snow showers on Wed and Thursday, interspersed by sunny periods, hopefully.

Winters here, please be patient with the resort staff, as they progress with opening the pistes and be careful - its early season.

For those fliers, it will be wet and windy in the UK so strap up tight. There might be some sleet showers Manchester and northwards which might necessitate deicing, hopefully it will be rain. Lyon will be showery and windy but the official Geneva airport forecast does not make sense time wise at the moment, so not sure there, but teh area forecast is for rain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @chocksaway!

Just arrived tonight, based in Tignes Le Lac. In Saturday's conditions, can you recommend anything in the way of an easy start for people who might need an hour to find their snow-feet again after a couple of years away from it...? Would it make sense to start over on the Palafour side, rather than up Toviere? (Or maybe even Palafour lift won't be open....) Any point going down towards Les Boisses in search of trees if the visibility is bad, or is that a complete non-starter at this stage?

Thanks anyone for any advice!

Bonus question: what sort of black is Johan Clarey leading back into Le Lac from Toviere?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@parigi, I'm in Val Claret at the moment. Chocks will know better but in the last day Brollin and Tufs lifts here were perfect to get my ski legs back.
Nice blue pists, and then you can choose to do Lanchez (it's supposed to open today) if you're up to it or rather continue on blue pists (creux, edelweiss) towards Val d'Isere and reach Bellevarde, if today's conditions will favour that.
I returned from Folie Douce (but of course) downloading with the Toviere gondola because Johan Clarey it's still not open.
But a few people were skiing it, making me envy them. Till I saw shrubs showing through the snow and calmed down.
To me it's a good and quite challenging black piste, with an easy start, an intermediate short narrow section and the fabulous steep but wide finale you can see from the base of Toviere gondola.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The snow seems to have been better Val side in the last few days. Only got as far as Solaise. I would recommend going into the Bellevarde bowl for an easy start. The Palafour if open - it hasn’t been - has an artificial snow base and I suspect would be very icy under a thin covering of fresh snow. The top of the Motte has been hard work for a few days - the wind having affected conditions badly.
Off piste in Val was pleasant but rocks were essentially unavoidable. As @chocksaway, says be aware. There is just snow and ground - no base. Grass is showing through in a number of areas even on piste but that may change somewhat after the storm.
Day off today to give the dodgy hip and knee a break,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@parigi,I'm not in resort at the moment but frm the top of Tov down to Tommeuses would be good for laps. Johan Clarey is a very black oiste, it looks benign at the top don't be lulled in!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were here for a few days, left yesterday. Johan Clarey was closed but loads were skiing it. Off piste to the right on the way down was lovely, best runs of the visit - towards the bottom on the piste very icy though. Looks like they set off intentional avalanches at the top.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
in not sure Johan Clarey is such a testing black, it always gets bashed flat. There is a steep section but it's wide and plenty of places to buy a turn.
ski holidays
The heavy snowfall since last night is just having a break. Piste conditions in the Solaise and Pissaillas areas have been excellent and the pistes quiet in the last two days since the link opened. Some of the off piste is skiable over there but beware what lurks beneath. Palafour lift was given a run for quite a while this morning, hopefully in advance of opening for passengers soon.
snow report
@Tigski, Oh the telepathic one! Just come up on ski plan that Palafour opens tomorrow, but nothing more. Wonder how many will ski down to Merles?
snow conditions
Unfortunately some people may find this site useful - https://covid-tignes.fr/
ski holidays
Too many on too few slopes today. Weekend, closures due to snow etc. Familial was good when vis was ok. Only out 3 hours before tiredness and poor vis got the better of me. New snow on heavy ish side
snow conditions
Conditions really good on Creux and piste H today had a great lesson with free flow floss on the Snowheads group lessons - though it was unbelievably busy coming down the very first bit off the top of the Toviere due to most slopes on Tignes side being closed - the Palafour did open this afternoon and again in very good Nick - visibility wasn’t the greatest at times when the weather closed in.

Hoping once more opens up the slopes should get back to early season quietness
ski holidays
Tigski wrote:
Unfortunately some people may find this site useful - https://covid-tignes.fr/

Suspect many people will find it useful. Confused
latest report
Heading to Tignes on Friday night (hopefully no more covid restrictions come into force...!) It's my first time back in the area in over 6 years (we usually go to 3valleys) and so looking for some lunch spot and favourite run recommendations in Tignes/VD area?
snow report
@lcoutts,
Re runs. On or off piste?
latest report
Tichot, Grattalu, Grand Huit and Merles open tomorrow. Should help relieve the overcrowded pistes a bit. snowHead
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Tichot, Grattalu, Grand Huit and Merles open tomorrow. Should help relieve the overcrowded pistes a bit. snowHead

Bout time... we've been watching them for days and days run piste bashers up and down carline etc... it's been very frustrating. Especially as we're avoiding cable cars, gondolas and funiculars thanks to the uk re-entry tests, they're rarely running the lanches chair... we can only think stgm are just being tight in choosing not to run too many options, but forcing everyone into enclosed spaces which increase transmission... seems quite irresponsible. Not sure what people will do in the coming weeks if they take too many chances in the enclosed lift options.
ski holidays
@Extremophile, I think its more about the amount of snow and relatively recent temperatures, as I alluded to last week it takes time to open pistes up, fill in all the holes and gullies, put the markers out and make it safe. Which is the job of Regie des Pistes not STGM (although they do contribute to a lot of the costs). There are only so many pisteurs, which once the season starts reduces a bit as they are sitting at teh top of the slopes with bloodwagons.
snow conditions
And now over to Carole for the weather!

The synoptic chart is messy again with a number of fronts and a waxing and waning ridge of high pressure, so a little uncertain over timings and snowfalls. But it is going to settle down from the weekend and become unusually warm for December for 2 or 3 days. Positive temps in the villages is a bit warm. It won't be enough to affect the snowpack much but it might mean avalanche forecasting has another factor to consider.

First off, Avalanche Risk 4 tomorrow, with an upwards tendency for Friday. That doesn't mean it will get to 5, but it is getting worse rather than better. After light snow in the morning the skies will clear progressively to leave a mostly clear afternoon, before it clouds over again. Enjoy it, because Friday is going to be very wintry, another foot of snow and very windy at altitude. So, I would think only the lower slopes and lifts will be open and there will be much avalanche work to do, depending on when the snow starts through the night. The snow intensity will drop in the middle of the night but the winds will continue, this may well give problems on the road and keeping them clear for the early morning Saaturday departures. Keep an eye on the Tignes app for road closures, these often happen a couple of hours before daybreak for blasting above the roads. Most of Saturday itself will consist of sunny periods, but it will still be windy, so again lower will be better. Sunday will be milder and a mix of cloud and sunshine depending how the cloud persists as the fronts disappear. Monday should be glorious, with the odd fluffy sheep against the azure background and it will be pleasantly mild. Same on Tuesday if it follows the plan, the outlook remains similar throughout the week.

Stay safe over the next couple of days and keep an ear to the ground for conditions on the roads for Saturday departures.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@Extremophile, I think its more about the amount of snow and relatively recent temperatures, as I alluded to last week it takes time to open pistes up, fill in all the holes and gullies, put the markers out and make it safe. Which is the job of Regie des Pistes not STGM (although they do contribute to a lot of the costs). There are only so many pisteurs, which once the season starts reduces a bit as they are sitting at teh top of the slopes with bloodwagons.

Still grinds my gears about how little they've been running lanches, paquis etc, forcing people into enclosed spaces. Funiculars and cable cars always made me feel quite sick even before covid, they're so stuffy and there's so many people in there... it is irresponsible. And don't get me started on buses with locked windows.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski plan flagging up the whole of the Aiguille Percee sector opening on Saturday all the way down to Brev, which is a bit earlier than usual.
Of course, that is subject to it being safe and the roads being open. I see the Prefect of The Savoie has been reading this thread. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
And hot of the press a rope tow (like Ouilette) called Replat has appeared. Thanks to Tigski who happened to skin past it this morning, it runs from near the bottom of Merles to half way down Anenome (better known as the Palafour piste!). That should relieve some of the queue at Grand Huit at busy times, a faster bigger chair would have been better, but better than nowt!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
And hot of the press a rope tow (like Ouilette) called Replat has appeared. Thanks to Tigski who happened to skin past it this morning, it runs from near the bottom of Merles to half way down Anenome (better known as the Palafour piste!). That should relieve some of the queue at Grand Huit at busy times, a faster bigger chair would have been better, but better than nowt!

hmmmmm intriguing - that was always a pain that flat area wasnt it!!!
latest report
For those venturing off piste you need wiiiiide skis .... But beware the risks, and stick to the obvious routes. High av risk, but also problems in deep snow. Vis has been OK today, but better in trees as ever.
latest report
@chocksaway, That sounds positive.
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

hmmmmm intriguing - that was always a pain that flat area wasnt it!!!

Yes, saw this this afternoon. Last PSB me and MGROLF had to push up here as Grand Huit had just shut, nice addition and probably recycled from somewhere else in the area
snow report
There used to a rope tow to “help people” get to the tichot chair rather than have to skate across to it maybe they found a better use for it?
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

The Tignes staff have been pretty good at keeping the site updated this season so far - the new rope is actually mentioned on the site, as well as appearing on the new piste map download.

Makes a change from other years when discovering changes was "all part of the fun".

https://en.tignes.net/skiing/ski-area/ski-map
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

Saw that here:-
https://en.tignes.net/skiing/ski-area/ski-map

"WHAT'S NEW FOR WINTER 21-22!

Two new ski touring trails starting from Tignes le Lac (at the foot of the Almes chairlift): the Fastoche (+ 180m) and the Collu (+ 390m). These easy-level slopes complete the ski touring offer already available via the Pala’foulée slope (+ 450m). In total, 5 hiking trails are available this winter on the linked Tignes - Val d'Isère ski area (subject to snow conditions)
Lognan stadium opens to the general public and becomes a black track outside training and competition periods
The two Easy parks merge into a single spot opposite the DC Park
A new cable rope now connects the foot of the Merles chairlift to the Anemone slope in order to facilitate clockwise circling of the lake
A new phototrap (automatic photo point) is installed on the Merles chairlift, shortly before the disembarkation area, with the possibility of retrieving your photo on arrival"
ski holidays
@Kenzie, Thanks, not spotted that on my phone. I assume I will still meet ESF coming down the skinning tracks cos it's fun and they can, according to one when I blocked his way Shocked
snow conditions
Hello snowheads,

I've been a real plonker and need some advice. I'm arriving in Tignes tomorrow and only just got round to looking at the documents. I was disappointed to see we need to book parking, which I haven't done. The tignes website shows all the parking is full. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

And yes, I'm well aware that I'm a moron.

edited to add:
We are staying in Tignes 2100 Le Lavachet. I don't forsee needing the car at all during the week, so I'll be quite happy to leave it parked as far away as necessary.
snow report
Park for free in Les Brevieres, which is most unlikely to be full and get back to Le Lavachet using the lift system and shuttle bus. I'm told the Brev sector is opening tomorrow.

Check page 1 of this thread for more details on parking.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 10-12-21 20:19; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy