Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Inboard, Indeed - tbqhwy its not the cash, its more that its a flipping disposable (after X washes) item which is clearly just marketing for Tignes (or Cham or wherever).

I am almost sure that they will be telling people "oh, no your XYZ tube isnt compliant, and you need our super spiffing one" for as long as they can wring some euros out of us.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting, are the lift peeps really going to be getting that anal about it all? I guess they might. Be interesting to see what happens after this w/e...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GreenDay, Tignes CdS used to sell buff-type things before COVID, you could carry on using the mask as a neckwarmer after it has been washed 50 times.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That French mask standard is described here. AFNOR SPEC S76-001

It seems to be an exercise in tokenism, designed down to an absolute minimum, and only for use when healthy people meet healthy people rolling eyes so it’s deemed to have no function at all... https://www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/04/safeguards-05020-afnor-releases-general-purpose-mask-standard

Inter alia masks have to be washed every four hours to comply with the regs, so it's pretty certain that not a single mask will be complying!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
@GreenDay, Tignes CdS used to sell buff-type things before COVID, you could carry on using the mask as a neckwarmer after it has been washed 50 times.

My point is that I am calling bull crap on the whole "covid compliant buff" and "can be washed 50 times" thing - I mean, how would a spliff smoking liftie even know how many times its been washed and would they stop you?????

Its dangly bits.

You know it, I know it, Tignes knows it.

Whats next? Covid Compliant full face helmets??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
p.s. I know I am ranting a wee bit, but some of this pointless stuff is getting on my thruppenies.

My wife and I are going to a jazz concert (I know !) tomorrow night, and you need to scan the QR code, wear a mask while getting your bevvy, but can "remove your mask while drinking or dancing or at your table".

It is starting to feel like utter made up nonsense.

I get wearing something if you are on a funi for 15 minutes, but the rest seems overkill imo.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I get wearing something if you are on a funi for 15 minutes

The irony is that everyone is wearing their masks whilst in the funi holding-area (which is supervised by the lifties) but the moment they're packed on to the train, the masks almost universally get pulled down.

Only €15 in 3 Valleys. If I buy two it'll be worth the petrol... But on a more serious note, they seem to have a good summary of the expected measures and implementation (second link below). I believe this will be Savoie-wide so guessing we can expect much the same in Tignes.

Not managed to ask about KN95 but will see what happens over the next few days and will see what I can find down the valley on my next shopping trip. Perhaps Weldom have some heavy-duty ones that can take 200 washes and maybe the occasional sneeze too.

https://www.les3vallees.com/en/guide/covid-19-peace-of-mind/3-vallees-mask-and-neck-warmer
https://www.les3vallees.com/en/news/health-measures

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-11-21 19:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last wrote:
That French mask standard is described here. AFNOR SPEC S76-001

It seems to be an exercise in tokenism, designed down to an absolute minimum, and only for use when healthy people meet healthy people rolling eyes so it’s deemed to have no function at all... https://www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/04/safeguards-05020-afnor-releases-general-purpose-mask-standard

Inter alia masks have to be washed every four hours to comply with the regs, so it's pretty certain that not a single mask will be complying!

And the Buffs linked to above conform to EN 14683:2019 type I and II, which is a surgical mask standard and from my reading massively exceeds the requirements of AFNOR SPEC S76-001. Both standards are easy enough to find if you Google.

For completeness (and I'm irritating myself now) I believe FFP2, FFP3, N95 and KN95 are all respirator standards, so have requirements on the amount of filtering of particulate on inhalation as opposed to EN 14683:2019 which is concerned with exhalation. That's why FFPs can have exhalation valves.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 25-11-21 19:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GreenDay wrote:
My wife and I are going to a jazz concert (I know !)

I hope your mask will match your beret?! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Inboard wrote:
@doynie, I don’t believe that those Buff items you link to are valid in France - they don’t seem to meet the AFNOR standard which is required (which I’m sad about as I already have two of them!)

@GreenDay, as above, worth noting these don’t seem to actually be Buffs (as in, made/ branded by the Buff company). However I agree that’s a rediculous sum for a neck tube. Especially as La Plagne (see other threads) seem to be selling the AFNOR-standard-meeting neck tube for rather less than €36 (but also NB Chamonix are selling their version for €49!)

How are they ever going to check each Buff is compliant? You will have lift lines snaking back miles
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Right then, its now time to put aside buffs, boosters, and bureaucracy to leave space for the good news. Winters here!!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
Or rather it will be by the middle of next week. The next 7 days are going to see a massive change in the view from the window (if you can see out of it!). Its going to be a very unsettled week, so the timing of the series of fronts (of which there are a lot) and gaps is going to change. But the freezing level is going to remain where it belongs, somewhere down in the valley (around Super U in Bourg) so all the snow is going to stop on the piste. By the time the bash comes round there will be a lot more of the resort open (but it could be quite a transfer day, chains or snow tyres folks).

So into the detail; today will be cloudy and cold with light winds. Light snow will be around most of the day. Tomorrow will be very similar but the snow will be a bit more intense. Sunday will see heavier snow showers with sunny periods in between, a gusty wind may close the higher lifts. Up to this point I don't think the snow accumulations will be heavy enough to open many more slopes, as it won't be deep enough to stick the poles in. Monday looks bone chillingly cold with sunny periods and light snow showers, and the wind will pick up in the afternoon. Tuesday will be a bit warmer, or less bone chilling perhaps, with more snow showers and sunny periods. The wind will be a feature, so the top of the glacier is likely to be shut. The first of December will bring heavy snow showers, interspersed with glimpses of the sun, again a very gusty wind is likely to shut the glacier on high. After this it looks really wintry with plenty of snow, so hopefully by Saturday the resort will have had time to manage the snow into nice opening pistes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, long shot I know, but do you think there's any chance of more lifts opening tomorrow? & I presume you can lap VC/Motte top to bottom with MM open?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dr John, No, it will be just down to Double M, plus Rosset and Bollin.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, ta
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GreenDay wrote:
p.s. I know I am ranting a wee bit, but some of this pointless stuff is getting on my thruppenies.

My wife and I are going to a jazz concert (I know !) tomorrow night, and you need to scan the QR code, wear a mask while getting your bevvy, but can "remove your mask while drinking or dancing or at your table".

It is starting to feel like utter made up nonsense.

I get wearing something if you are on a funi for 15 minutes, but the rest seems overkill imo.

Out of interest, who are you going to see? Me and the missus are off to a 50th anniversary performance of "What's going on"
ski holidays
vaughan wrote:

Out of interest, who are you going to see? Me and the missus are off to a 50th anniversary performance of "What's going on"

A local girl called Georgia Cecille - lovely voice.

http://youtube.com/v/7DBaLS9R3fE
latest report
As the jazz man (John Thompson on the Fast Show) said, "Nice"
snow report
Not normally my kinda thing, but hey its a night out !!
snow conditions
Hi, does anyone know the approx one-way cost of a taxi between Tignes Le Lac and Val D'Isere?
Thanks in advance
latest report
@silentice, 40-50€
ski holidays
@Dr John, The App has just announced that Piste H/Henri will open on Sunday accessed by Tov Gondy or Tufs Chair. Might well be mayhem!
latest report
There has been nothing new to report for a few days. Conditions stable. Sore knee kept me off slopes yesterday and weather conditions are poor today. The new snow is welcome but not significant enough to get large parts of resort open.
Wide use of cannons over last few days. To try to get some slopes running. There seems to be a significant fall brewing later in the week that hopefully get most things open.
Piste conditions should be great if hard to see.
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks. We stuck to Val, Bellevarde with Marmotte and Borsat lifts open. Big queues at both in the morning, especially with Marmotte breaking down several times, but eased after 12-ish. Lovely sunny day until it closed in around 2.30, we repaired to Rose Blanch for apres session with old pals we haven't seen for 18 months. Today was a freezing whiteout, we were 4 run heroes before sacking it off. Just great to sit on a lift again.
latest report
@Dr John, Imagine that - Marmottes breaking down. For a fairly new chair it seems to spend a lot of time en panne! So much so I always go to the edge of the Tov plateau before launching.

But yes it would be nice to have a seat on a chairlift.
snow report
@chocksaway, they're claiming they tested it, but empty not loaded, which is different apparently, so not really tested at all. Better than when the new fountain froide opened 4/5 years ago. Very first time it ran with punters on it it broke, they couldn't fix it, and had to rope the punters down. Took about 10 hours.
snow conditions
@Dr John, Yip, I'd just got off the new FF, no oil in the top gearbox!

But then when they opened Marmottes for the 1st time the gates were not synched with the chairs, which resulted in skier skittles.

Funny how those 2 chairs are from the same maker which they seem never to have used again.
snow report
@chocksaway, haha, close shave. Not the same firm responsible for the bollin/fresse junction box is it?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@chocksaway, they're claiming they tested it, but empty not loaded, which is different apparently, so not really tested at all. Better than when the new fountain froide opened 4/5 years ago. Very first time it ran with punters on it it broke, they couldn't fix it, and had to rope the punters down. Took about 10 hours.

It opened in 2012 (I think) - 9 years ago!!! Time flies!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus, thanks. Now I feel really old(er).
latest report
Mixed bag today. Had to watch out for snow cannon in many places. Glacier area closed early. Don’t think the cable car ever opened. Some soft stuff off the Double M but only a few inches deep so high risk of ski damage.
It was bitter. Looks like a nice and warmer day tomorrow; with the prospect of significant falls over the next week hopefully we will soon have a bigger area to enjoy - Covid panic permitting
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
SnowDrone Towers have been in touch with a discount code:

Here is a promo code you guys can use for a discount:

snowheads05

That is 5€ off a shared transfer per person 18th December until 17th April.

For private transfers, it is about 5% off for weekend transfers between the same dates, 18th December until 17th April.

I've just tried the promo code for transfers this coming weekend and it doesn't work. Am I right to assume that it's isn't valid outside the dates above? Cheers.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
The Swiss government’s TravelCheck website has been updated today and says that onward transit to France from GVA is allowed for travellers from the UK, assuming they are fully vaccinated.

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check

Good news for GVA transits if correct (and followed by airlines/border control)
snow report
Quote:
Very generous of them Toofy Grin Puts me in mind of Aldi and Lidl, who show items as reduced and when you look closely there's 2p off Laughing

Still, as an alternative supermarket might say, every little helps...
ski holidays
Hi All, I am going to be in Val d'isere in a few weeks and want to buy some snowboard boots... I realise that its probably not the ideal place to buy boots price wise but i dont have much option as I live in Africa at the moment (very limited ski shop options here) and I would like to try them on before I buy them... Any advice on shops to go to would be really appreciated? Do any of the shops allow you to use them for an hour or so to see if you like them?
Cheers
snow conditions
Apologies if this has been asked before - I couldn't see it. And sorry if this is an annoying question!

I'm travelling from Ireland next week and it's just been announced that the Irish authorities are going to require negative tests prior to entry into Ireland - meaning I would need to get a negative antigen (lateral flow) test or PCR when I'm in Tignes, within 72 hours of heading home. Are there facilities in Tignes at the moment that can facilitate these tests?

Edit: nevermind, found the answer easily, apologies. Embarassed But for anyone else who needs the link: https://en.tignes.net/informations-covid-19
snow report
tfmoss87 wrote:
Hi All, I am going to be in Val d'isere in a few weeks and want to buy some snowboard boots... I realise that its probably not the ideal place to buy boots price wise but i dont have much option as I live in Africa at the moment (very limited ski shop options here) and I would like to try them on before I buy them... Any advice on shops to go to would be really appreciated? Do any of the shops allow you to use them for an hour or so to see if you like them?
Cheers

Ask here:-
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=7480
snow conditions
A strange day but an enjoyable one; especially in the afternoon.
Very windy up top and much was closed. The sunshine lasted much of the morning. Vis got worse after lunch but if brave enough to go up the top of the funicular and the back towards the Vanoise there was actually some reasonable patches of off-piste. Not much pitch and you had to watch for the icy ridges but enjoyable all the same.
For once the pisteurs did not deal quickly enough with an issue on the Double M. A malfunctioning cannon created a large area of ice that resulted in multiple falls. They came to look at it. Some time later a fallen skier was hit by an ESF person. The blood wagon was called out. I understand the casualty may have cracked a few ribs. The area was subsequently cordoned off.

PS The snoworks instructors understand the Val links will open Thursday.TBC.
Edit The lady broke 4 ribs. Very unfortunate.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

snowheads05

For private transfers, it is about 5% off for weekend transfers between the same dates, 18th December until 17th April.

I've just tried the promo code for transfers this coming weekend and it doesn't work. Am I right to assume that it's isn't valid outside the dates above? Cheers.

That is correct. I had an extremely comfortable ride upto Tignes last Friday in one of their electric Mercedes vehicles. For my return trip on the 19th Dec, the discount code was accepted.
latest report
Little Angel
Tigski wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

snowheads05

That is correct. I had an extremely comfortable ride upto Tignes last Friday in one of their electric Mercedes vehicles. For my return trip on the 19th Dec, the discount code was accepted.

Did you get the red carpet as well? snowHead
latest report
Hi coming out to Tignes for Christmas.
Slightly confused about masks for skiing. Do we have to buy a specific face mask with a filter or will a normal snood be OK.
Just wondering what was happening on the ground out there?
Many thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy