Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To wax or not to wax that is the question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bought some new K2 skis in summer 2020 do they need a re-wax for Jan 22 ski? Also my wife's skis were waxed in March 2020 with a summer over wax I recall. Do they need re-waxing or top coat removing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You new skis will probably be OK for 1 week with the production wax - but it's generally a cheap, quick wax so they look nice in the shop. Giving them a 'normal' wax certainly won't hurt them and will also pull out any tiny bits of loose base material left on the base by the manufacturing process so have them performing at their best.

For your wife's skis if they just had a full wax service in March they should be good to go. If they had the half-Karate Kid ("wax on" but not "wax off") though then they will need scraping/buffing before you can use them. If you don't know you can tell really easilly - do the bases look/feel smooth and slippy (good to go) or like a candle (need a scrape/polish)?

1. If you use a shop to service your skis and would rather spend your money on food/beer than ski servicing I'd just go with what you have.
2. If you use a shop and are less concerned about money then no need to do your wife's skis again but worth putting your in to give them the best possible start in life.
3. As you have a couple of pairs to look after, and if it's your sort of thing of course, I can recommend a trip to The Piste Office for spyderjohn's DIY ski servicing course - https://www.thepisteoffice.co.uk/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 14-10-21 16:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and where is the piste office?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the advice Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
martindcrowe@hotmail.co.u wrote:
and where is the piste office?

Nottingham way. His course is very much worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wondered if this was a thread about beauty routines...............
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for the Piste Office course (spyderjon on here)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, +1 for Spyderjon’s excellent course.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another +1 for Jon’s course, so much more than just edges & waxing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seriously? I wax my skis every 60,000 vertical feet or thereabouts. More often in the spring when the morning ice is ripping the wax off after one run. I invested in my own setup starting about 2005 after my racer daughter (and in-house tech) took everything with her to college. I gradually built up the equipment and expertise over the years so I'm doing my own structuring, sharpening, polishing, etc., not just the waxing. There was a time in my life where I never waxed my skis, but the knowledge that that long flat section ahead that everyone is skating and poling across that I'll just glide by them and save so much energy is worth it. See ya, buddy.

If you only ski a week a year, maybe you have the shop do it. If you're skiing 3-6 days a week all season, you're doing it yourself.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Be wary young padawan - the rabbit hole of base preparation is a deep one.

@GreenDay, it is, we all have beautiful shiny bottoms.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sibhusky wrote:
If you only ski a week a year, maybe you have the shop do it. If you're skiing 3-6 days a week all season, you're doing it yourself.

In my experience the problem with having a shop do them is no matter what condition the skis are in/how clearly you say you just want an edge and wax they will get thrown through the machine and come out with a light base grind, so the bases look nice - to the point when you take your cosseted skis that you've had serviced after each week on the snow to spyderjohn for his training course he gets to tell you "Yea, they've been over-serviced and there's probably not even 1 base grind left in them". Skied more weeks on them since swapping to self-servicing and yet to reach the point where a flat edge across the base indicates they actually need a base grind...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy