Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions on high ski-touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for some additional contact with my shins. It looks like ski-touring boots got lower during the last years (for weight savings, of course). Any suggestions that I might want to check?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://shop.atomic.com/en/products/backland-carbon-ae0001651.html

I tried those on a few weeks ago, almost as high as an alpine boot, around 1100g each and awesome freedom of movement. They seemed reasonably stiff with the carbon back.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tecnica Zero G, nothing comes close
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some of the carbon backlands, and very good they are too. That said, I use them on a snowboard, so my experience may not be all that apposite. They are very light, and the carbon is stiff and consistent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sep, "I'm looking for some additional contact with my shins"

Why?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sep, have a look at the new Fischer offering , I’ve just got a pair after skiing the lighter travers model for a couple of years , the new ones offer much better dh performance and are still v light

https://www.fischersports.com/transalp-pro
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I don't see why not. With higher boots I feel more connected to my skis -if that makes sense- and they help prevent shin bang. I'd happily take that over the tiny bit of uphill performance that lower boots might offer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sep, whereabouts are you based? I'd always recommend going to see a decent fitter, my first experience of shin bang was explained to me as the boots not being suitable for me, since then (and new boots) no issues!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sep, as @kitenski, suggests, shin bang not really because of over low boots. I don't think it's been a theme recently either? But not sure I's have really noticed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1) Alpine Touring: Alpine weight boot with a walk mode. 1.6 KG eg Tecnica Cochise 130
2) Hybrid Boot: Alpine style boot, with walk mode and tech inserts, using lighter weight materials. 1.4 KG eg K2 Mindbender 130
3) Free Touring: High ski performance, lots of ROM, non interchangeable soles. Super light for Power. 1.2KG eg Tecnica Zero G

3.5) Hybrid Free. New category of Lightweight Touring boots designed by the Ski Boot brands (opposed to touring boot brands.) Ski super well for their weight, but don't really have the guts to power wider, stiffer or heavier skis. Circa 900gms eg Dalbello Quantum, watch this space!

4) Classic Touring: Nonsense, not so light, not so powerful, terrible compromise. Junk. 1.4 KG eg Scott, La Sportiva and Scarpa.
5) Ski Mountaineering: Shouldn't be called skiing, sliding about barely incontrol. Super light, far and fast. Read Trail runners. 1 KG and under eg All that low cut, on/off flexing wobbly adaptive stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thought for a moment that the weight of the Technica Zero G Tour Pro had dropped to 1.2 kg.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, Shell only, size 26.5, like all the measurements, keep it real hey. Your liner choice we denote the final figure, but most of our clients don't run with the toilet paper liners that come in any "Touring" range, that's reserved for "bulky" feet. Do people really read the Manufacturer's propaganda? Empiricism all the way my spoon fed friend. XX
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CH2O,
Manufacturers figures are always taken with a bucket of salt. Wildsnow & blister review are better for real weights. Zero G = €700 touring boots but it comes with a cräp liner?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Atomic Hawx XTD series are full height boots with a good walk mode. You could swap to a lighter liner if you really wanted to save a little weight.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, I think @CH2O will sell you the 0-G with no liner, Concept defo will ... as in buy linerless boots and then liner independently.
snow report
@Sep, you might find this interesting re Atomic Hawk 120 Ultra XTD

https://stylealtitude.com/can-a-ski-touring-boot-work-with-a-dedicated-slalom-ski.html
snow conditions
Some reviews here ....

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-backcountry-ski-boots
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I’d be happy using my Zero-Gs on/for everything. Maybe not quite as close a fit (until I get them foamed) as my foamed race boots but they feel as stiff (my race boots are somewhat aged).
latest report
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm somewhere among the Atomic Blackland, Fischer Transalp, and Atomic Hawk. The Tecnicas seem a bit too expensive. Anyone has experience with the Scott touring boots?
latest report
Don't forget to consider the fit, I know that atomic runs narrow which is why I have the Hawk and was trying on the Backland's, unsure about the others.
ski holidays
Sep wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm somewhere among the Atomic Blackland, Fischer Transalp, and Atomic Hawk. The Tecnicas seem a bit too expensive. Anyone has experience with the Scott touring boots?

I think CH20 gave a candid view on the Scott boots a few posts earlier. In case you're not aware he's a professional bootfitter who sells quite a lot of these things (well, probably not many of the Scotts if he thinks they are junk!).

Some years ago I thought Technica looked expensive, and bought some cheap Salomon Quest. On skiing in them I almost immediately thought "I wish I'd bought something better".

Having flogged the Quest on, I bought some Tecnica Cochise and since then I've never thought "I wish I'd bought something cheaper".
latest report
@Sep, can't say I've noticed Tecnicas any more €€€ than anything else, other than Arc't?
snow conditions
+1 for Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD
My favourite ever ski boot. Feel and ski like an alpine boot, super light, stiff. Haven't had any problems with them feeling too heavy or bulky on long tours.
snow conditions
Sep wrote:

If you look at the cost and the years you will have them then IMHO it's false economy. Someone who wants to get their first touring setup asked me recently how much my boots cost. All togther with new intuition liners (stock liners were really bad & cheap) and footbeds they worked out to be around €800 but I've had them for 8 years. A cheaper boot would have worked out at around €400 so I could have saved €50 a year but had heavy, low performance boots that might not have fitted properly and led to blisters, foot pain/cramps etc.

... although it's not just about the boots themselves but if/how well they fit your feet.
snow conditions
optimisation, no one cares about what you can afford. Deliver more news papers, wash a few more windows. Compromise at your level of expenditure. Simples.
snow conditions
My tuppence worth. With all boots it's about fit first and foremost, even more so with touring where a lifting/rubbing heel on the up could be a disaster.
If you are lucky enough to find two makes of suitable boot that fit you then you can worry about the relative specs etc
E.g. some swear by various Dynafit touring boots but I can't find one I can even get my wide Anglo foot into so.....
snow conditions
Zero-G fan here. Stock liners are great for the up but pack out fast. With after market liner and booster strap weight is up over 1500g but they tour and ski very well.

Booster strap helps with keeping shin feeling against boot - might be what you’re after.

Lange has a boot out this year in that category too.
latest report
@Ed_sec,
Many dynafit boots have gotten wider over the years. They used to fit my narrow feet really well but not any more. Maybe give them another try but to be honest I suspect the Zero-G is a better made boot than any of the dynafits but it could have too much volume for my feet.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 16-10-21 9:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH,
Do you mean the XT3 tour?
https://www.lange-boots.com/xt3-tour
snow report
DB wrote:
@BobinCH,

That’s the one. A couple of my Lange loving mates have them on the shopping list
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
DB wrote:
@BobinCH,

That’s the one. A couple of my Lange loving mates have them on the shopping list

I believe the last width for the xt3 tours is 99mm, the same as your Zero-G's but width is only one part of the equation suspect the langes will be much lower volume so could suit me. Range of motion for the langes looks to be 53 deg (as opposed to 55 for your boots or 60 for mine)

It looks like what ever I go for will be heavier, even with footbeds, booster straps and intution liners I'm under 1300g / boot at the moment. The tech has moved on though and compared to the latest tech they probably ski really bad so looking forward to better downhill performance. I bet even the newer light/hybrid type boots ski better than my TLT6's now.

How did you get on with the Siddas liners?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 16-10-21 16:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
DB wrote:

How did you get on with the Siddas liners?

Very happy. CoMfortable and Skin and ski well
ski holidays
Sep wrote:

I know that there is a new transalp out and I'm sure it has improved but I have the previous model and I would struggle to recommend it. It walks and skins well but isn't THAT light. The problem - ironically given this thread - is that the shell is too low and I found myself going "over the top". I resorted to thick intuition wrap liners and a booster strap over the liners (effectively raising the height of the boot because the double thick layer of intuition foam is pretty burly). They ski MUCH better like this but of course it adds to weight and reduces skinning/walking mobility
snow report
funnily enough I googled them once and found a report by someone who had done exactly the same mods to get them to work
snow conditions
Sep wrote:

Be careful of the Backlands. Maybe it’s an older model but on the Blister podcast I recall them saying they are very soft / ski badly which would be the opposite of what you’re looking for if you want extra shin contact.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, was that the carbon Backland's? Think there's 4-5 atomic boots with Backland in the name rolling eyes I only tried the carbon ones on in a shop but they felt stiff enough and I think @philwig, said he had a pair earlier in the thread.
latest report
Sep wrote:

The Backlands and Transalps are Ski Mo boots, low cut so not. sure they're an option. The Hawx XTD are free touring boots, same practically as the Zero G, very much shorter to size and not as durable.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Zero-G fan here. Stock liners are great for the up but pack out fast. With after market liner and booster strap weight is up over 1500g but they tour and ski very well.

Booster strap helps with keeping shin feeling against boot - might be what you’re after.

The Lange Pro Tour is identical to the rest of the XT3 range, it has a fixed rubber sole and a toilet paper liner. I don't quite understand why people would buy it over the std XT3 range to be honest, but we have lots of people that want it.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Sep wrote:

Be careful of the Backlands. Maybe it’s an older model but on the Blister podcast I recall them saying they are very soft / ski badly which would be the opposite of what you’re looking for if you want extra shin contact.

Yeah, exactly. I think the added shin contact must come with stiffness. I've seen several models of the blacklands though, not sure about how much their stiffness varies.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

The Lange Pro Tour is identical to the rest of the XT3 range, it has a fixed rubber sole and a toilet paper liner. I don't quite understand why people would buy it over the std XT3 range to be honest, but we have lots of people that want it.

May be something to do with the fact that it’s 300g lighter according to the Lange specs?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy