Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda Mountain Lunch Stops

Poster: A snowHead
Will be in Arabba early January, not at the bash, sorry. I would like to be reminded of recommended mountain restaurants. I know there are almost as many as grains of sand but it is always helpful to hear of personal favourites.
Thank you once again in anticipation of snowheads boundless knowledge.

ps Nice to plan a route centered around a great lunch stop!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 6-11-21 17:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are (hopefully) in Selva at Christmas and would also be interested to hear of peoples current fave spots in different areas...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@peter w, I don't think you'll find much Stella on tap in the Sella Ronda mountain restaurants. Wink

Getting back to restaurants as you say there's so many of them, but here's a few of my favourites. Firstly sticking to the Sella Ronda in Colfosco at the top of the Sodlisa chairlift (incidentally I believe the old chair has been replaced with a brand new larger capacity chairlift this season) on the right hand side you'll find the Mathiaskeller restaurant. Good food and interesting decor inside (note the barstools as you enter).

At the top of Dantercepies above Selva is Jimmy's hut: http://www.jimmyhuette.com/

If you get to Ortisei/St.Ulrich in the Val Gardena Valley then in town just by the footbridge over the river in the pedestrianised area is the Mauriz Keller

On the Hidden Valley halfway down the run is Scotoni's, very good for grills but is very popular and often busy and hard to find a seat without prior reservations. A bit further on down the run is the Capana Alpina which is excellent for pasta dishes. The restaurant has a flat roof and you'll often find the restaurant's dogs sitting on it watching the skiers go by. Very Happy

At Cinque Torri at the top the Rifugio Averau is very good.

At the top of Sante Croce/Heiligenkreuz/La Crusc the restaurant is worth a visit https://www.lacrusc.com/?lang=en. If you can't get in there then a short ski down from there of a few hundred metres brings you to two restaurants which are also good.

Just a short selection of some of my favourites. snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-10-21 16:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I prefer Harveys best bitter to Stella! Thank you so much. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, totally agree with your choices Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@peter w, Others will chip in with the real names.

A great run is to go up the burz then down to pass campolongo, up to Cherz then down to the left, up the next lift then down to La Visa then he'd to Corvara. 1/2 way down that run is the "Mammoth" and a great stop for a hot chocolate and cake Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

A great run is to go up the burz then down to pass campolongo, up to Cherz then down to the left, up the next lift then down to La Visa then he'd to Corvara. 1/2 way down that run is the "Mammoth" and a great stop for a hot chocolate and cake Happy

Yep, another good stop, epic hot chocolate as you say. Saraghes. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

…and brunch and mid-afternoon tea n cake stops.
It’s the only civilized way to ski Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rifugio Padon on the way to Marmolada is good too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you get to the top of Dantercepies on the anti-clockwise route, take the black run to your right, stay right all the way down to the Ciampac hutte. You can get there via a red, too, I think.
https://www.baitaciampac.com/

Make sure you sit outside with a view of the slope just in front of you. I highly recommend the venison pasta, if on the menu, but everything is pretty good. But what's great about it is that it's out of the way and nice and quiet. Even if you just have a drink in mid-afternoon it's pretty great.

After lunch, take the little 2-man chair up and cut diagonally down to the base of the Dantercepies area, go under the road and stay left on the cat track through Selva, and continue on your way around the SR.

Another one I like, but only on a sunny day, is Utia Sole in the Plan Gralba area. It's also a bit off the beaten path and you can easily ski right past it. http://www.utiasole.it/benvenuti-all--utia-sole.html, could be a good lunch destination from Arabba. They have a really nice tiramisu.

Finally, we like the Belvedere refuge in Canazei, not necessarily because the food is fabulous, but the views (as the name suggest) are mind-blowing. And it's often cold up there so it's great to warm up with a hot chocolate and a bowl of pasta. IIRC the schnitzel is pretty good, too.

Those are pretty much directly on the SR. I have some other honey holes but they're on spur areas like the Secada or Alpe di Siusi

In general I like to have a lunch plan well in place. It's the main reason we ski in Italy!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think most of the usual favourites are already posted above.

I'd just add Biok/Bioch to the list for pretty decent food. And the one at the top of the sasslong for custom pizza to share between 4 if that's your thing.

Coffee / Hot Choccy stops I'd normally stop at are the "wooden elephant" one above (don't remember ever having lunch there), and the one in the Edelweiss valley above Colfosco whose name escapes me, but has ace views.

One of these days I might actually pick a day's skiing route that means lunch in one of the places near Arabba, rather than just a glühwein or bombardino at the end of the day. When you're based there, 99% of the time you end up being far away around lunch time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy,
Quote:

above Colfosco

Ooh, yes, can't remember its name either.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy wrote:
.. and the one in the Edelweiss valley above Colfosco whose name escapes me, but has ace views.

That'll be the Forcelles. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^That's a good one. It's called Utia Forcelles I believe. That red run below it is one of my favorites in Colfosco. https://www.utiaforcelles.it/en/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ütia Forcelles, apparently

Don't recall going to the Col Pradat one (which must also have stunning views)
ski holidays
That's the one.
latest report
Col Pradat Hutte does indeed have stunning views (and very good food/choccy..)

http://www.colpradat.com/en/winter-skiing-area-alta-badia.asp
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

If you head for Corvara from the top of Pralongia (the long, cold, windy chair), you’ll not get to Utia Saraghes. It’s on the way to San Cassiano / Armentarola
ski holidays
I had a fab (but v expensive) steak once at the Utia de Trausines (I just found the name on the map Embarassed ) just to the left of the piste between Piz la Ila and the top of Bamby. I also like Rif Ciampai just below Piz Sorega (the bubble up from San Cassiano) for a morning stop - usually sunny and with LOUD music Toofy Grin
snow report
I had a fab (but cheap) pizza slice n coke snack at Snack Bar Corf across the road from Boe gondola in Corvara.

A good place to keep an eye out for snowHead (especially if your group is trying to lose you Madeye-Smiley ) as they’re bound to cross over at some point.
snow report
andy wrote:

One of these days I might actually pick a day's skiing route that means lunch in one of the places near Arabba, rather than just a glühwein or bombardino at the end of the day. When you're based there, 99% of the time you end up being far away around lunch time.

If anyone should find themselves actually in Arabba at lunchtime then Miky's Grill right by the base of the Burz chairlift does some great food.
ski holidays
Baita Curona tiny but good, below Seceda on the run down to Ortisei.
snow conditions
HutToHut wrote:

Also on the run from Seceda as you near Ortisei I think the last eating place is Baita Pauli. Apart from the main restaurant there's a small cabin which accommodates about a maximum of 12 people seated around a central wood burning fire. On the 2020 Birthday Bash a group of us booked the Baita Pauli cabin, a great experience.

latest report
Morning coffee at MrX. Bar Peter actually does nice pizza. I prefer the one at the roundabout in Arabba
snow report
A week based in Sëlva and we didn't find a bad caf anywhere, had difficulty paying at one if that's a problem Very Happy

Edit due to beer!
snow conditions

That's one slice and a 15' long ash table on top of Arabba at Rif. Luigi Gorza, with a view to match. Returned the next day and had two.
snow conditions
peter w wrote:
Will be in Arabba early January, not at the bash, sorry. I would like to be reminded of recommended mountain restaurants. I know there are almost as many as grains of sand but it is always helpful to hear of personal favourites.
Thank you once again in anticipation of snowheads boundless knowledge.

Although you're in Arabba, you can peg it round the sella (orange direction, I think) and make it back to plan boe for lunch. Stay all afternoon for apres on a pasta party night and the music and vibe is excellent as well as the free (but thirst-inducingly spicy) pasta.
latest report
giantsquid wrote:

Although you're in Arabba, you can peg it round the sella (orange direction, I think) and make it back to plan boe for lunch. Stay all afternoon for apres….

There’s no way I could consider wasting half a precious day’s skiing in the bar
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Leon wrote:
giantsquid wrote:

Although you're in Arabba, you can peg it round the sella (orange direction, I think) and make it back to plan boe for lunch. Stay all afternoon for apres….

There’s no way I could consider wasting half a precious day’s skiing in the bar

Two laps of the sella it is then Very Happy

(it's actually possible in spring with later lifts times)
snow report
giantsquid wrote:

Or if you're Ronald three laps. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
giantsquid wrote:

Or if you're Ronald three laps. Madeye-Smiley

Before lunch Toofy Grin
ski holidays
HutToHut wrote:

Best Hutte, with the best views in the WORLD! Period.
latest report
@Mollerski, @HutToHut, We are mountainbiking in Ortisei at the end of June and this has just shot to the top of my list.
ski holidays
I've always rather liked Mathiaskeller, to the right at the top of the SodLisa chairlift in Colfosco.
Cozy and cavernous - particularly apt on a cold snowy day.
ski holidays
admin wrote:
I've always rather liked Mathiaskeller, to the right at the top of the SodLisa chairlift in Colfosco.
Cozy and cavernous - particularly apt on a cold snowy day.

Yep, you'll note it's the first one I mentioned in my original reply to the OP. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Laughing Sorry to inadvertently agree with you @Alastair Pink. (I was skim reading*)
I look forward to seeing you there for lunch then Cool

*eg. not paying proper attention.
snow report
admin wrote:
Laughing Sorry to inadvertently agree with you @Alastair Pink. (I was skim reading*)
I look forward to seeing you there for lunch then Cool

not paying
FIFY wink
latest report
Any recommended lunch stops in the Val di Fassa? Apologies for the mispelt title!
snow conditions
I recently discovered a Michelin starred restaurant 'L Chimpl, 12mins cab ride from the base at Pozza Di Fassa (Jump off the Sella Ronda at Canazei => Alba => Pozza). You need to book ahead for lunches, apparently.

Now I have tended to find the food I encounter in Italy, by randomly stopping at places when I'm hungry, has been satisfying enough not to feel the need to go seeking 'special' but... the mission over to Pozza from Arabba is one of the goto day-trips of the Birthday Bash, so it appeals to have this as a destination (and a motivator to get out that little earlier in the morning).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has eaten there?
ski holidays
peter w wrote:
Any recommended lunch stops in the Val di Fassa? Apologies for the mispelt title!

You or a mod can correct the spelling. It would help with future searches. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy