Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No skiing (or drinking or eating) unless you're double-jabbed in CH?

Poster: A snowHead
It's already being talked about. The incentive for the ski areas to implement this, is that all other Covid restrictions (masks on lifts etc) would be relaxed.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/193325/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-09-21 0:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@telford_mike, sounds fine by me. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, couldn't possibly comment snowHead too wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Similarly in the Martigny Nouvelliste towards the end of the article it seems to say that until now, only EU27 certificates were recognised by the SwissCovid system, but the proposal is to extend recognition to any certificate based on an EU-certified vaccine. It's not very detailed, but I'm reading this as meaning that as long as it's an EU-certified vaccine, you'd be able to get an electronic certificate from the authorities that would be recognised by the usual scanning apps. Implying that they want to extend the electronic scanning of certificates but need to be able to give all fully-vaccinated visitors and foreign residents a valid SwissCovid QR code (or else it'd be impractical to scan people quickly enough for public venues).

What we seem to be seeing in places like Switzerland is a strategy whereby the removal of public space restrictions like mask-wearing is contingent on the use of covid passes. And as the proportion of the population fully-vaccinated reaches the herd immunity point, and they can cover all the exceptions (such as having had the disease, being 'under age' for vaccination, having a medical condition that precludes vaccination etc.) then the judgement is that most people will prefer to use a Covid Pass if it means everything else can 'go back to normal'. And that the remainder can be challenged to endure repeated negative test certification if they don't want to be vaccinated on principle. And in addition, anti-vaxx visitors will similarly have to just endure physical quarantining and testing, at their own expense.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LaForet wrote:
More stuff

I'm going to pop down to the Gemeinde on Monday to enquire about UK and other non-EU vax certs being accepted in our canton - they must have a plan for tourists this winter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@telford_mike, Thanks Mike. I was just thinking that. My NHS stuff, EU approved UK made AZ shots, works fine in the French app and restaurants and bars have been happily scanning them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
colinstone wrote:
@telford_mike, Thanks Mike. I was just thinking that. My NHS stuff, EU approved UK made AZ shots, works fine in the French app and restaurants and bars have been happily scanning them.

Yes it’s interesting. I imported mine into the French app and it happily accepted it. The Swiss app that the bars & restaurants use to check the codes rejects it though - weird?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LaForet, we are far off herd immunity in CH. I can only hope the new pass requirements will see the same response as FR and the majority of the ch population gets their jabs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Really interesting thread, will be watching as I am hoping to visit CH from UK in Feb (as I did for many years pre covid...) I have younger teenagers and who knows if they will be double jabbed by then. Personally I would be in favour of keeping masks on lifts even with a covid pass.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://planetski.eu/2021/09/10/switzerland-tightens-restrictions-as-covid-19-continues-to-rise/?fbclid=IwAR1WR_tvSiwejCRZxvXvhqSih4nwrw05s8NdUJQnAPYQYDY8PEIU6T5OKvQ
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for this, good to know at the moment it's 16+ for the pass.
UK rates quoted in that article are just shameful; we will be lucky if any ski nations actually want us, even tested/vaccinated, this year Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
so how does it work if you ski from Ischgl to Samnaun?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Skimum1, comparing across nations is difficult and misleading. See https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1436795446463287303?s=20
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds sensible
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skimum1 wrote:
Thanks for this, good to know at the moment it's 16+ for the pass.
UK rates quoted in that article are just shameful; we will be lucky if any ski nations actually want us, even tested/vaccinated, this year Crying or Very sad
sounds like 12+ will be added soon too. My 13yo has indicated he is keen to get it.
snow report
The new rules about not being able to get into indoor areas unless you have a covid certificate start today. However they do not have anything official on whether they will accept the NHS certificate. Logically they should as you use that to get into the country quarantine free.

I have my NHS QR code uploaded onto the French app. So I can access indoors in France. I have tried to upload the same QR code into the Swiss app. It uploads the code and gives all the correct detail but has an “invalid signature” message.

latest report
indeed… this is exactly the process I went through before our summer holiday in France with the TousantiCovid app. Hope the Swiss are inclined to sort it out before ski season as apparently the U.K. authorities were not much help sorting out the French app - if what I read on Twitter was correct of course.
snow report
My daughter is currently out skiing in Switzerland. They have all been double vaxxed, but it will be interesting to see how they will get to indoor areas. They travelled from Canada
snow conditions
The new rules on access to bars & restaurants began today, and it’s fair to say it isn’t going well. The rules say that you need a valid Swiss/EU/EFTA/Schengen certificate to enter. That rules out a good proportion of guests, particularly here where we have lots of British and American visitors.

Hoteliers in particular are in an impossible position, as many have guests who are in the middle of their holidays. According to the letter of the law anyone without a certificate has to take their meals in their hotel room, and of course they can’t use the hotel bar. Tourists can get a certificate by having a test, but it only last 3 days, and what a faff for them when they know they’re vaccinated.

I can’t see this rule lasting more than a few days.
snow report
@JohnMo, if you have a certificate in the French app, can you show that in Swiss restaurants? E.g. my French colleagues can use their French COVID passes in Basel restaurants, so if the French app lets you load in the UK certificates then don’t you defacto end up with an EU certificate?
snow conditions
Gämsbock wrote:
@JohnMo, if you have a certificate in the French app, can you show that in Swiss restaurants? E.g. my French colleagues can use their French COVID passes in Basel restaurants, so if the French app lets you load in the UK certificates then don’t you defacto end up with an EU certificate?

Yes and no. If you have French certificates in the French app, that works fine here. The French app will happily import a British certificate, but the Swiss Covid checker app rejects it, as the British certificate is 'signed' in a way that the Swiss checking app doesn’t understand. We had hours of fun at a bar yesterday trying every combination of certificates and apps, but no combination resulted in a British certificate being usable here.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, that’s a pain. Are places actually required to scan? I’ve not had to show mine yet but my gym told us we could send our vaccination certificates to them to be put on a list of “people who don’t need to be scanned each time” to reduce the phaff. That’s optional but I’ve gone with it so they are effectively accepting a certificate rather than the app.

What’s weird is that I heard locally that the British certificates/NHS app were accepted fine over the summer for entry into clubs where the requirement has been around for a while.
snow conditions
I took some US visitors to dinner last night and the restaurant insisted on a Swiss valid QR code. Apparently they can get this on arrival at the airport? My guests just had US paper copies. Fortunately the restaurant had an outdoor dining area that we were able to use. He was adamant they couldn’t eat inside the restaurant and wouldn’t budge
ski holidays
@BobinCH, sad state of affairs....even for certain vaxxed. My experience across the lake from you is the less fancy places are more likely to not check, ie beach or lake side cafe / bar, small establishments in small villages, side streets, and foreign owned bars. Especially now tourist season is over and it's mostly just locals around.

Certificate checking enthusiasm seems to wane over time.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 14-09-21 10:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The latest on this has the chief of Téléverbier* arguing strongly against the Federal proposal to make any Covid Pass Sanitaire mandatory on the lifts. His argument is twofold: 1. that there is zero evidence of increased infection arising from the use of gondolas, chairs and queues during last winter's opening and 2. as being demonstrated currently, it's impractical given there's no international standard for certificates (digital QR or paper is irrelevant - the problem isn't in the display medium, it's in the nature of the certificate information itself). With so many foreign visitors from outside the EU, the latter is a genuine practical barrier. In practical terms, it's much easier to re-impose mask-wearing and reduced density on gondolas and in queues than to validate many different Covid Certificates from non-CH/non-EU visitors. Sounds like it's turning out to be a standard Berne vs Cantons argument.

I've not seen any mechanism mentioned for generating a valid CH Certificate from a non-EU/non-CH Certificate. I suppose that in practical terms, it's possible to do it on a country-by-country basis, with the obvious ones being in order of the visitor numbers (#1 USA, #2 China, #3 Mexico ... #12 UK - which doesn't bode well for us being a priority).

The international standard issue was flagged-up more than six months ago as a major barrier to international travel. Without an agreed mechanism to at least generate a 'local' certificate from a foreign one, let alone a single standard, the benefits of full vaccination aren't going to be realised. This isn't just a first world holidaymaker issue - there are lots of countries where there's regular cross-border travel by workers and families and where this predictable problem needs to be addressed.

[*CORRECTION: It was the President of the Valais ski companies, Didier Défargo (yes, the Olympic champion) representing the whole industry across the Canton.]

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-09-21 8:16; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
@LaForet, he’s quite right imho. I’d guess schools, big family/ friends gatherings and offices are far bigger offenders in terms of spreading. My kindergartener starts weekly testing tomorrow - got to get him to swirl liquid in his mouth for 60 seconds… god help us.
latest report
@LaForet, there's zero evidence supporting the use of masks on chairlifts either ...
snow conditions
@polo, bars we have been frequenting, or who know us, have once checked vax status and not bothered since as vax status isn't changing very fast ... (sorry, this is somewhat OT as it's in France).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 14-09-21 13:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, Hope you got a positive answer - UK double vaccinated people will be allowed in bars, restaurants and on chairlifts as I am coming out for Christmas.
snow report
@skilegs, we shall see. At the moment, if you are double AZ jabbed here you are effectively in lockdown - there would certainly be no point coming for a holiday. Swiss residents who got Pfizer or Moderna jabs in the U.K. can apply for a Swiss vaccine certificate. Link to the application form for Bern here: https://www.gsi.be.ch/de/start/themen/coronavirus/zertifikat/antrag-fuer-personen-mit-impfung-oder-erkrankung-im-ausland/zertifikat-nach-impfung-im-ausland.html

Note however that this isn’t applicable for tourists.
ski holidays
It's such a shame, if this stays in place it will be the third CH trip in 18 months I'll have had to cancel and there must be many others in the same position. I am hopeful it will be tided up in time for the ski season. It also makes no sense because (yet again) if it's accepted at the border as proof of vaccination it surely should be enough for a restaurant or gondola.
Thanks so much to those on this thread who are providing such helpful updates and personal experiences.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:

Others have accurately answered this. I even tried a bit of QR code laundering by importing the QR code into the Swiss app from the French app (where it is recognised as valid). However the Swiss app was having none of it and it gave the same result as if the QR code had been imported directly from the NHS app. Not surprising of course but I thought it was worth a bash.

The Swiss Tourist Office are onto the case so hopefully, like in France, it will be sorted soon.
snow report
@JohnMo, its also to do with the AZ vaccination - theyre not accepting it at all. If you had 1 AZ then 2nd was Pfizer or Moderna then you can get a pass.
latest report
So what if you have an EU certificate and were vaccinated with AZ in Europe. That is the position for my son who is supposed to be going to Switzerland this weekend for some company get together.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
So what if you have an EU certificate and were vaccinated with AZ in Europe. That is the position for my son who is supposed to be going to Switzerland this weekend for some company get together.

Download the Swiss Covid Checker app and try it.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/covid-certificate-check/id1565917510 (Apple)
latest report
Unfortunately he doesn't live with us and I won't see him before the weekend but I will try this when I get a chance unless someone comes along in the meantime with confirmation.
snow report
Chamonix and Megeve are (probably) making vaxinations mandatory for their staff in anticipation of Macron making the pass sanitaire madatory for buying lift tickets.
snow conditions
If you have been vaccinated in EU/Schengen with AZ and have either the paper or digital certificate, that will be accepted in Switzerland. The fact that AZ is not approved in CH does not affect that.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/haeufig-gestellte-fragen.html?faq-url=/covid/en/covid-certificate/what-foreign-covid-certificates-are-recognised-switzerland
snow report
Assuming he has a phone tell him to download the app and do it now.

AZ in Europe should be fine - AZ in UK - not fine.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#231667184
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
AZ in Europe should be fine - AZ in UK - not fine.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy